PDA

View Full Version : Recipes For Heart HELP!

Uzi
08-28-2016, 06:57 AM
Looking for some info on ways to cook game heart such as deer/elk/moose! Also how to prepare it and all that good stuff! If you got more simplistic recipes id love to hear them as you all know sometimes you don't have much living in the bush on a trip

thanks
uzi

Sharpish
08-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Thin slices rolled in flour and salt and fried in bacon fat is tasty. Just make sure you cut away all the cartilage and blood clots.

northernbc
08-28-2016, 09:55 AM
section cleaned heart , put in baking pan cover with bbque sauce and spice and bake until done.

08-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Day of the Kill or well chilled after.
Clean entire heart, remove main valves or arteries, the tough looking stuff. Stuff with chopped or sliced onions, a few clumps of butter, salt and pepper, garlic or hebs if you like. Light rosemary, Basil, oregano ......... what ever your liking. Wrap with heavy foil. Wrap a second and third time. Get a ripper of a fire going with GOOD HEAVY coal base. For moose heart, big fire : )), ....... when Rum is Done, knock fire down. Dig a bowl in bottom of coal base. Throw in moose heart, elk, deer. ETC. Cover with surrounding coals. Go to BED. Get up in the Morning .... and VAVOOM !. Incredible !

Made many organ eaters that were not before.

Have at er !

CT

sparkes3
08-28-2016, 11:30 AM
clean out the pumper tubes
then stuff it like a chicken and roast

rocksteady
08-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Remove from animal... Shake out blood clots, rinse in water,....

toss ad in bush for coyotes and Ravens (or bring home and give to Sawmill :). )

SuperYeti
08-28-2016, 12:30 PM
Clean out, soak in salter water for a bit to get out the remaining blood. Thin slice, and then use shake n bake, turned out awesome.

Uzi
08-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Mouths Watering Thanks For Info keep it coming!!!

jtred
08-28-2016, 05:44 PM
I clean it well, open it up a bit on the inside and stuff it with a bread/herb/onion/garlic stuffing. Slice it like a roast trying to keep the stuffing with each slice and serve with gravy and all the sides you choose. The best part are the leftovers, slices of stuffed heart with sweet onion, mayo, and cheese makes one of the best sandwiches ever. The stuffing is different every time depending on what is in the fridge and the pantry.

M.Dean
08-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Just make sure you cut away all the cartilage and blood clots. Boy oh boy, after reading this nice recipe,it kind'a makes me wann'a bring the heart and the rest of the gut's home and fry'em up for a big family feed, Eh???

BrockAndaHardPlace
10-16-2016, 05:45 PM
We just do thin slices in a frying pan for 7-8 minutes in vegetable oil. you can do it with onions in the pan too and if your really feeling fancy it goes well with mustard. nice and simple and can be done on the stove in your tent

Slinky Pickle
10-16-2016, 05:56 PM
We just do thin slices in a frying pan for 7-8 minutes in vegetable oil. you can do it with onions in the pan too and if your really feeling fancy it goes well with mustard. nice and simple and can be done on the stove in your tent

This is what I'm used to but after reading some of the other recipes, I think I'll try it with stuffing.

Surrey Boy
10-16-2016, 07:21 PM
I've always ground mine.

adriaticum
10-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Remove from animal... Shake out blood clots, rinse in water,....

toss ad in bush for coyotes and Ravens (or bring home and give to Sawmill :). )

you have no idea what you're missing.

adriaticum
10-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Flour and seasoning fry. Or egg batter and flour fry

Skull Hunter
10-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Here is the best way I've found. I also add craisins to the stuffing...
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=319
(http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=319)

todbartell
10-18-2016, 10:58 AM
salt/pepper, floured and into a pan of hot oil

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1186159_10151734352667992_1491595207_n.jpg?oh=bcaf 93910f3bd53c829fc06abf61f80d&oe=58A49B1E

Ubertuber
10-18-2016, 12:44 PM
Why people throw out a choice cut of meat such as the heart is beyond me. I don't get it. Anyone care to say why they throw it out?

I usually just cut it up into bite size chunks, removing the tough bits. Sear the chunks in pan, then add onions, carrots, potatoes, and some seasoning. Let it simmer for an hour or so until veggies are cooked.
Moose heart stew. It's delicious.

charr
10-18-2016, 12:58 PM
I make a dish called cicig. It's a Philipino dish. Its a good thing to make when drinking.
So what in it. I use deer/ moose heart and tongue, cheek muscle. And also have pork heart, tongue and ears. Clean all then boil. Skin the tongue. Then chop all into small pieces. Then fry add spices and some hot spice. Serve hot, and drink beer.

adriaticum
10-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Why people throw out a choice cut of meat such as the heart is beyond me. I don't get it. Anyone care to say why they throw it out?

I usually just cut it up into bite size chunks, removing the tough bits. Sear the chunks in pan, then add onions, carrots, potatoes, and some seasoning. Let it simmer for an hour or so until veggies are cooked.
Moose heart stew. It's delicious.

Because they don't know better. ;)

wideopenthrottle
10-18-2016, 02:45 PM
if nothing else, like surrey boy said throw it in with the ground... better there than in a bear/wolf stomach

Philcott
10-19-2016, 08:31 AM
I like to do a kind of pickling of my deer hearts. Here's how I do it.

I do a pretty simple method that I guess is more of a boiled heart in water, vinegar and pickling spices. I just put a cup and a half of water, a splash or two of apple cider vinegar (shot glass) and twice that amount of white vinegar along with a tea ball filled with pickling spices in a pot. Put the heart in and top up with fluids if needed. Boil for a bit (never time it) that is probably 10 minutes, let stand in the fluid for 1/2 hour. Cool the heart, slice it up and munch away with some crackers. It's nice to have a cold beer to go with it as well.

As others have said you want to clean and trip the heart before pickling it.

Tifferly
12-19-2016, 12:48 PM
I have mine frozen, and was going to save it for the pup as a super-treat. I found this recipe, and am sort of changing my mind now!

http://foragerchef.com/corned-venison-heart/

sparkes3
12-19-2016, 03:37 PM
stuff it like a chicken and super treat yourself
pup can have the scraps

Ryo
12-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Heart tacos!

Clean and slice.

Marinate in a bowl with:
1 bunch chopped cilantro
1 squeezed lime
3/4 bottle of corona
1 small onion, chopped
2 or 3 garlic, chopped
a tsp of cumin
a tsp of coriander
1/4 tsp of cayenne (or more, or less)
salt and pepper

Give it good soak, overnight, or all day, and blast those slices on the grill.

Before you grill the meat, slice and stir fry a red onion and a couple peppers. They should be starting to get good and soft before you throw your meat on the grill.
Use a bit of the leftover marinade to deglaze your sliced onions and peppers as they start sticking to the frying pan.

Serve with guac, salsa, cheese, beans, or whatever else you like in tacos.

Soft corn tortillas are my favourite for tacos, but they take a trick to make them good: Get a frying pan HOT (splash some water on it, and it should sizzle and spit immediately). Take one tortilla and splash water all over one side. Place that side on the pan. Wait 20 seconds or so and splash the top side with water and flip it. Take off the heat once the sizzling stops. You're basically steaming the tortillas, and it's a total game-changer.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/5d8ouhc6j6tqdgx/IMG_7639.JPG?dl=0

Ryo
12-23-2016, 11:04 AM
the above recipe works well with flank, diaphragm, and brisket as well. They're all so small in a deer I marinate them all together whole, and slice them against the grain once they're cooked.

Tifferly
12-23-2016, 01:38 PM
the above recipe works well with flank, diaphragm, and brisket as well. They're all so small in a deer I marinate them all together whole, and slice them against the grain once they're cooked.

Those tacos look UNREAL! I hand make/press my own corn torts, so we'll definitely have to try this instead of the dog getting the heart :D

aral
01-27-2017, 04:19 PM
As everyone else mentioned, make sure to clean it really well. After that, I've had it seared on cast iron with caramelized onions, garlic, salt and pepper, and a healthy dose of red wine. It's a "recipe" that covers pretty much anything!

Personally, I find the texture and idea of eating heart to be a little off-putting, but it really is delicious. Waste not, want not, right?

P.S. Ryo, those tacos look amazing!

King_of_Diamonds
01-27-2017, 07:41 PM
1) Cut it into strips.
2) Clean out any coagulated blood.
3) Heat up a cast iron frying pan (preferably use butter).
4) Place strips into frying pan and season with seasoning salt.
5) Turn occasional till cooked through.
Same way I cook my Liver.

It doesn't look as nice as your taco, but is great when your still out in the bus.