PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu Gear and prohibitive customs duties and charges....

IslandmanDan
08-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Hi
I just wanted to share a little disheartening experience I had with Kuiu.
I love the product. But simply cant afford it. :icon_frow

-Last year I ordered $1134.81 USD in Kuiu gear. No customs charges and with the American/Canadian dollar exchange was expensive. But no additional charges or surprises. And shipped quickly. Excellent.

-This year I ordered Items:

Order Total:

Teton Stretch Woven Pant
Tiburon Pant
Peloton 130 Glove
Peloton 200 Glove

$303.91(USD)

Which equates to roughly $390 CAD.
I go to the post office to pick up this shipment and get hit with an additional $126.82 in customs charges.
Bringing the total shipment for 2 pairs of pants and 2 pairs of gloves to $516.82+/- CAD.
If my wife only knew...wtf. OMG!!!

So I just wanted to bring this to the communities attention. Great product. Sadly wont be adding anymore gear to my collection. As it is just too expensive.
Does anyone else have any crazy customs charges associated with these products?
Good luck to everyone this upcoming hunting season. May your arrows fly true and bullets find their marks!!!:D

RackStar
08-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Yup. I wanted to exchange my rain pant for new size. The lady would only refund me then make me purchase again, there for paying 2 dutys. She was rather rude and said that its my country's problem and nothing she can do.
For this I will never purchase kuiu again. Very bad experience and 2 years later still wearing pants to small for me.

300rum700
08-27-2016, 10:11 AM
This isn't new. You got lucky on your first order and most orders get hit with 18% duty and 12% tax.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Been discussed on here a few times. Once their production went overseas due to rising demands, duty got crazy. Just be glad you didn't use UPS as well. You would have needed a second mortgage.

Rackmastr
08-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Sounds about right to me.....

To be honest, a lot of people don't understand 'duty' and 'tax' and how its applied and the percentages depending on what type of items they are. When you start talking textiles, clothing, and footwear you can expect to be in the 18-21% range. Some electronics, etc are 4-9%. If its made in a country that doesn't have a free trade agreement, expect to pay it. No different than retailers in Canada who are importing clothing made overseas. Consider yourself lucky on the last large shipment you got without duty.

BgBlkDg
08-27-2016, 03:00 PM
I don't get WHY anyone would ever buy this over-hyped, very costly stuff, except to be one of the "kewl" types who inhabit various forums and seem obsessed with having only the latest gear.

Look at the photos of Big Whitey's dad, the legendary "Willie442" and other real bushmen with HUGE sheep and other game.....wearing plain old clothing and often NO camo........any inklings of what is REALLY important in hunting-bush gear, based on such photos?

I disliked the stunt that Hairston pulled off here in Vancouver and how he sold Asian-made gear as "Made in Canada" and as a result, I would never buy squat from him or his company(s).

That said, there is LOTS of sound mountain gear available that is not camo, works just fine and where the makers stand behind their products. I would buy a Westcomb Neoshell or eVent parka for ANY hunting long before a Kuiu or some of the other "kewl" stuff.......I am going to buy a First Lite Vapour shell and probably just in dull old green......which works fine.

russm
08-27-2016, 03:45 PM
Thats the price you pay to be a stylish hunter.

swampthing
08-27-2016, 03:52 PM
When you look at your price of just over $500, that's about what you pay for a couple pairs of Sitka pants. But, Sitka is always on sale.

Pinewood
08-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Kuiu stuff is pretty good quality and it is well tested. It can make a day very comfortable. The easy argument for buying Kuiu or Hunting specific clothing is that it is designed for Hunting. Therefore, a person who doesn't have the time to do a lot of research on mountain gear can simply buy Kuiu and it will do the trick in almost any/every scenario. Also, it is priced very reasonably, for the American consumer or the Canadians who can dodge duty/taxes either through luck or by living close to the border and lying to the border agent. As far as looking at photos of old hunters who killed animals, that is really irrelevant. Just because you can kill game in regular clothing doesn't mean it is always the best option. I bet there are a lot of old hunters who would love to have been wearing quick drying or wicking clothing, but it simply didn't exist. I have a couple pieces of Kuiu gear and I like it. But I'm not a Camo fan. I prefer solid colours.

Weatherby Fan
08-27-2016, 07:36 PM
It's pretty simple to avoid all the extra charges, open up a box at Sumas Package Express or one of the many places just across the line and go down and pick it up yourself, bring your receipts or have a copy on your phone, claim what you have and more often then not they wave you through.

BgBlkDg
08-27-2016, 07:46 PM
Kuiu stuff is pretty good quality and it is well tested. It can make a day very comfortable. The easy argument for buying Kuiu or Hunting specific clothing is that it is designed for Hunting. Therefore, a person who doesn't have the time to do a lot of research on mountain gear can simply buy Kuiu and it will do the trick in almost any/every scenario. Also, it is priced very reasonably, for the American consumer or the Canadians who can dodge duty/taxes either through luck or by living close to the border and lying to the border agent. As far as looking at photos of old hunters who killed animals, that is really irrelevant. Just because you can kill game in regular clothing doesn't mean it is always the best option. I bet there are a lot of old hunters who would love to have been wearing quick drying or wicking clothing, but it simply didn't exist. I have a couple pieces of Kuiu gear and I like it. But I'm not a Camo fan. I prefer solid colours.

Much of the gear we had in the 50s, 50s and much of the 70s was FAR SUPERIOR to a lot of the hyped stuff some find necessary today. I have worn wicking gear since I started hunting and working in the mountains, our merino was much better than most now available ( and I actually own and use this as I have for 50+ years) and the mountain boots were FAR, FAR beyond most one can buy now.

Pictures? Well, sonny, I was there, the guys I learned from in the Kootenays started before 1900 in some cases and I will take a good Ventile parka, in most cold conditions over ANY of the current ones, which, again, I have used since G/T became available in 1977-Early Winters, out of Seattle.

Sooooo, I think it is mostly marketing and the "herd instinct" which is promoted by certain sites and "kewl" hunters......YMMV, of course.

bighornbob
08-27-2016, 09:00 PM
Much of the gear we had in the 50s, 50s and much of the 70s was FAR SUPERIOR to a lot of the hyped stuff some find necessary today. I have worn wicking gear since I started hunting and working in the mountains, our merino was much better than most now available ( and I actually own and use this as I have for 50+ years) and the mountain boots were FAR, FAR beyond most one can buy now.

Pictures? Well, sonny, I was there, the guys I learned from in the Kootenays started before 1900 in some cases and I will take a good Ventile parka, in most cold conditions over ANY of the current ones, which, again, I have used since G/T became available in 1977-Early Winters, out of Seattle.

Sooooo, I think it is mostly marketing and the "herd instinct" which is promoted by certain sites and "kewl" hunters......YMMV, of course.

yah but the same thing could be said about just using an old wooden stocked 30-06 for all the hunting in BC one would. How many rifles have you bought over your lifetime? And didn't you just buy a kimber mountain ascent rifle (I'm sure in a caliber you already own). The same could be said about that rifle being a marketing ploy and you ended up following the "herd":-P

Bhb

BgBlkDg
08-28-2016, 06:15 AM
Many things can be "said", as so many of the posts here sadly demonstrate, however, such comments seldom have any factual basis.....

My comments were specifically concerning the Kuiu issues and the propensity for many to become "conned" into spending $$$$$ on gear that is not a real improvement over more commonplace and less costly "kewl" items, as my examples demonstrated. I do not care if someone wants to buy, wear or even "market" Kuiu, or some other apparently problem-plagued brand, go for it, knock yourself out.

The rifle issue is not really relevant as there has been a definite improvement in "mountain rifles" since I bought my first in 1964. While a wooden stocked .30-06 certainly will work, there have been more functional models available since I put together my first Brown-stocked .280Rem. in 1985. I found my then wooden stocked .280Rem. on a VZ-24 with a lovely handle from the Biesen shop in Spokane, was far less stable in wet conditions than the Brown stocked P-64-70 was and that made a big difference.

The Kimber MA I bought over a year ago, is lighter than any custom I have/had on a std. length action by at least 10-12 ozs. and while I did NOT ever have a .280AI, I find it the best overall round, now Nosler, has standardized it, for a really light rifle. I get 3000 fps-mv from a 160 NP with good groups and that is pushing 175 fps more than any of my standard .280s have ever given, a slight advantage, IMO.

There is NO factory rifle in a std. cartridge, that is as light and also CRF as the KMA and I have had enough highend and full custom pieces over 50+ years to know. I agree, the MA stock IS "marketing", but, the overall rifle is simply outstanding and worth the comparatively moderate cost.

My last two customs, both largely by Mitch Kendall, were a slightly lighter 7-08 he built as his own personal sheep shooter and it is about 4 ozs less overall than the KMA. It also cost quite a bit more and is not CRF, which I much prefer.

The next, is built on a HVA action, Krieger tube, Bansner, Wisner, the works.....it is light, shoots better than I now can and is a std. 280, BUT, while a super piece, it is STILL heavier then the KMA. I did not spend a lot on it as I have been at this for a long time and know where and how to find/buy the pieces for custom guns at good prices, but, it was not "cheap".

So, I did not follow any "herd" and would have much preferred that the KMA stock be just as the regular Montana one is, however, I bought for practical reasons and took what they offered as I am an old pensioner and did/do not have megabux for gear. That stock is certainly "marketing" which is, rather sadly, a large aspect of the current hunting gear scene.

There ARE some real improvements in gear now, especially in light and U/L rifles, good for we geezers, in backpacks most definitely and in some tent fabrics and sleeping pads. I also find that Neoshell, especially from top makers such as Westcomb, absolutely rocks in shitty weather.

However, much of what we had when I started was as good and OFTEN superior to a lot of the hyped "kewl" gear we see now, for example, have you ever seen/worn Galibier boots, Kastingers or the original Raichles, ValDor Eiger Darbelles and/or FGL serious mountain boots? NO pos GT boots made now come even close in fit, longevity or real performance in the mountains.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :)

300rum700
08-28-2016, 08:03 AM
Many things can be "said", as so many of the posts here sadly demonstrate, however, such comments seldom have any factual basis.....

My comments were specifically concerning the Kuiu issues and the propensity for many to become "conned" into spending $$$$$ on gear that is not a real improvement over more commonplace and less costly "kewl" items, as my examples demonstrated. I do not care if someone wants to buy, wear or even "market" Kuiu, or some other apparently problem-plagued brand, go for it, knock yourself out.

The rifle issue is not really relevant as there has been a definite improvement in "mountain rifles" since I bought my first in 1964. While a wooden stocked .30-06 certainly will work, there have been more functional models available since I put together my first Brown-stocked .280Rem. in 1985. I found my then wooden stocked .280Rem. on a VZ-24 with a lovely handle from the Biesen shop in Spokane, was far less stable in wet conditions than the Brown stocked P-64-70 was and that made a big difference.

The Kimber MA I bought over a year ago, is lighter than any custom I have/had on a std. length action by at least 10-12 ozs. and while I did NOT ever have a .280AI, I find it the best overall round, now Nosler, has standardized it, for a really light rifle. I get 3000 fps-mv from a 160 NP with good groups and that is pushing 175 fps more than any of my standard .280s have ever given, a slight advantage, IMO.

There is NO factory rifle in a std. cartridge, that is as light and also CRF as the KMA and I have had enough highend and full custom pieces over 50+ years to know. I agree, the MA stock IS "marketing", but, the overall rifle is simply outstanding and worth the comparatively moderate cost.

My last two customs, both largely by Mitch Kendall, were a slightly lighter 7-08 he built as his own personal sheep shooter and it is about 4 ozs less overall than the KMA. It also cost quite a bit more and is not CRF, which I much prefer.

The next, is built on a HVA action, Krieger tube, Bansner, Wisner, the works.....it is light, shoots better than I now can and is a std. 280, BUT, while a super piece, it is STILL heavier then the KMA. I did not spend a lot on it as I have been at this for a long time and know where and how to find/buy the pieces for custom guns at good prices, but, it was not "cheap".

So, I did not follow any "herd" and would have much preferred that the KMA stock be just as the regular Montana one is, however, I bought for practical reasons and took what they offered as I am an old pensioner and did/do not have megabux for gear. That stock is certainly "marketing" which is, rather sadly, a large aspect of the current hunting gear scene.

There ARE some real improvements in gear now, especially in light and U/L rifles, good for we geezers, in backpacks most definitely and in some tent fabrics and sleeping pads. I also find that Neoshell, especially from top makers such as Westcomb, absolutely rocks in shitty weather.

However, much of what we had when I started was as good and OFTEN superior to a lot of the hyped "kewl" gear we see now, for example, have you ever seen/worn Galibier boots, Kastingers or the original Raichles, ValDor Eiger Darbelles and/or FGL serious mountain boots? NO pos GT boots made now come even close in fit, longevity or real performance in the mountains.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :)

So you've used all this new gear and tested it side by side to the old stuff? Everything feels better when your thirty years younger. Give those guys wearing blue jeans and plaid a choice between what we have now and what they had then and I'm pretty sure they'd be wearing the new stuff.

BgBlkDg
08-28-2016, 08:13 AM
I have used the gear I recommend very extensively and also worked in the industry where I saw what was returned on warrantee.

We HAD excellent gear back in the day and we used it as I still do, albeit not as I used to. I still use gear I bought in the 60s and 70s and have used to make my living, daily, for months on end in BC-AB.

My latest *cutting edge* gear is the Westcomb I referred to and it is outstanding, better than my two eVent shells, custom made for me by Integral Designs when Evan still owned the company.

I am not *anti* innovation or change, but, am skeptical of many of the claims made for some of the gear so hyped on certain sites and in slick magazines.

YMMV, its merely MHO.

dereke
08-28-2016, 08:20 AM
I buy most of my high end gear used... Its the only way to go and if you have patience and know where to look its around. No duties, no BS and much better prices for the most part.

charlie_horse
08-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Speaking of Kuiu, I have 30$ to spend there so I don't have to deal with them again. Does anyone have any experience with their game bags?

Edit: or their ULTRA merino socks?

Pinewood
08-28-2016, 09:46 AM
So, just to be clear BgBlkDg. You've never worn a piece of Kuiu clothing, but you know that it's crap because it's modern and meant to be "kewl"?

BgBlkDg
08-28-2016, 09:57 AM
That is NOT what I said, but, whatever,.......

Sitkaspruce
08-28-2016, 09:59 AM
On the Alberta Hunt site, they are setting up a meeting with the Canadian Kuiu rep at one guys home where you can try and buy at 20% less than advertise prices. The products are supposed to be in Canadian prices with all the sh*t already added.

There is always lots of talk of a Canadian distribution store for this stuff, not sure if it will ever happen......

Cheers

SS

375shooter
08-28-2016, 12:36 PM
All I want is the best clothing available which is suitable for mountain hunting. I'm not interested in being cool, or being part of the cool crowd. Camo or not camo - it doesn't particularly matter. Slight preference would go to camo, though. I just want to be comfortable, dry and quiet, as I hunt. And the clothing has to be lightweight and compact. I wish clothing selection was simple, like rifle/caliber/bullet selection, but it's not. It seems people just can't agree on what's best. It's the same for pack selection. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep researching, then try different things as I go along, until I find out what works best for me. That process will likely involve buying some Kuiu products.

khoffnbud
08-28-2016, 05:38 PM
I don't get WHY anyone would ever buy this over-hyped, very costly stuff, except to be one of the "kewl" types who inhabit various forums and seem obsessed with having only the latest gear.

Look at the photos of Big Whitey's dad, the legendary "Willie442" and other real bushmen with HUGE sheep and other game.....wearing plain old clothing and often NO camo........any inklings of what is REALLY important in hunting-bush gear, based on such photos?

I disliked the stunt that Hairston pulled off here in Vancouver and how he sold Asian-made gear as "Made in Canada" and as a result, I would never buy squat from him or his company(s).

That said, there is LOTS of sound mountain gear available that is not camo, works just fine and where the makers stand behind their products. I would buy a Westcomb Neoshell or eVent parka for ANY hunting long before a Kuiu or some of the other "kewl" stuff.......I am going to buy a First Lite Vapour shell and probably just in dull old green......which works fine.

I'll start by saying firstly that I have a number of KUIU items, but I also have stuff from first lite, sitka, icebreaker and many more. You have your opinion on it, so here's mine, I don't care what brand of clothing or gear a guy buys if it gets people outdoors hunting more and can get new people into it, all the better off we are as a group of like minded enthusiasts. Some guys want the top quality, tried and true old school gear. That's great. But if the new 'stylish' stuff can pull people into our sport, if that's what it takes, that's great too. Let's not miss the big picture here.

khoffnbud
08-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Speaking of Kuiu, I have 30$ to spend there so I don't have to deal with them again. Does anyone have any experience with their game bags?

i got a set of their game bags through giru, they are a top quality product.

A.D.M
09-06-2016, 07:01 PM
I bought a Yukon jacket from KUIU. Great jacket! $350 USD I got hit with $100 duty! Then on a separate order I bought the bino harness roughly $90 USD and I got hit with a $50 duty!!!!! Insane!

09-07-2016, 09:06 AM
My wife ordered me $650 worth of stuff for my birthday - Duty was $220. Never bothered to pick it up. Canada Post returned it and KUIU refunded our money.

09-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Sounds about right to me.....

To be honest, a lot of people don't understand 'duty' and 'tax' and how its applied and the percentages depending on what type of items they are. When you start talking textiles, clothing, and footwear you can expect to be in the 18-21% range. Some electronics, etc are 4-9%. If its made in a country that doesn't have a free trade agreement, expect to pay it. No different than retailers in Canada who are importing clothing made overseas. Consider yourself lucky on the last large shipment you got without duty.

Two friends ordered last fall and there was no duty.

adriaticum
09-07-2016, 12:27 PM
I would never buy anything that I have to pay additional taxes on top of taxes which are on top of taxes.
Just stop buying it.
Now I have to pay duty on chit because it's made in China and in the same breath I bitch about everyone outsourcing jobs to China.
Stop buying that chit.
Don't care how good it is, you can do just as well without it.

swampthing
09-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Right on Ovis!! Glad to have you on-board. Will be dealing with you for sure. My wife will at xmas anyway!!

brian
09-08-2016, 10:18 PM
I bet there are a lot of old hunters who would love to have been wearing quick drying or wicking clothing, but it simply didn't exist.

Old time clothing wicked etc etc etc. It did it all the exact same things if you had the right stuff. I have some wool layers that will pull the sweat right off my skin and bead it it up on the outside. Really cool to see. What the big difference is the old stuff does not come in light weight. That's where the new man made fibers really shine. The invention of polyester and nylon revolutionized how people go into the woods. The old stuff gets dismissed these days but don't underestimate it, you'll just never find it in the weights that most mountain hunters want to carry these days.

Much of the gear we had in the 50s, 50s and much of the 70s was FAR SUPERIOR to a lot of the hyped stuff some find necessary today.

I'd believe it. The man made materials are strong so they can be made very light weight. But this is a double edged sword, they sacrifice durability for weight. This works great for the people making the clothing. They get to replace more of your light weight gear that's cheaper for them to make rather than sell someone clothes they may never need to replace. That is old economics vrs new economics in a nutshell.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Hey Folks,

I am the Canadian Rep for KUIU Canada.

I've been reading all the comments in regards to the surprise costs once the gear makes it to your door step. In a couple weeks KUIU will be announcing a few things for Canadians that will alleviate some of these frustrations. At that time they will also be announcing my position in Canada.

Please feel free to contact me by email if you have any questions or concerns, or if you just want to talk about gear.

Dallas Cota

dallasc@kuiu.com

Thats great to hear Dallas! And not just because I melted my attack pants on my motorbike muffler for the third time.

AgSilver
09-08-2016, 11:30 PM

Those socks are the best that I own. I have several pairs of Smartwool and some other merino stuff as well, but I really like the way the Ultras fit and have the thicker parts in certain places...they just are comfortable and good socks. And not really more than an equivalent sock at MEC or Atmosphere or the like.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-09-2016, 11:16 AM
So I'm not the only one who wheres KUIU just for hunting, lol Shoot me an email and Ill get you a discount for a new pair.

I was out scouting on the bike.
Thanks for the offer! Will certainly take you up on that!

SSS

IslandmanDan
09-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Hey Guys
Really good discussion. I guess where I am at fault on this, is that I assumed that because my previous order didnt come with any duties that Kuiu had the duty thing sorted. And then the big surprise on this order. The quality and performance is good, if not great. The camo patterns are pretty concealing. But as I mentioned earlier, I just cant afford the product with tax on tax on taxes. etc.
So I will be looking into more affordable, maybe less quality, gear in the future.
Best of luck with Canada distribution Orvis. I will keep my eyes open for any Kuiu deals that cant be ignored...although I feel I will be waiting awhile........
Happy Hunting everyone!
IMD

donny.brooke
09-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Just ordered my attack pants and guide jacket after talking to Dallas. Thanks again.

Pinewood
09-13-2016, 08:43 PM
What was the deal Donny?

donny.brooke
09-14-2016, 07:33 AM
20% off my orders from now on. You order from Kuiu site and enter a coupon code. You will still pay the sales tax and duty as it crosses the border but the discount covers the duty part.Prices are in U.S. dollars so exchange rate is also a factor. The gear is cheaper than Sitka and First Lite now compared to a local shop so im going to be buying Kuiu from now on. Email Dallas to get the info.

Wentrot
09-14-2016, 07:56 AM
20% off my orders from now on. You order from Kuiu site and enter a coupon code. You will still pay the sales tax and duty as it crosses the border but the discount covers the duty part.Prices are in U.S. dollars so exchange rate is also a factor. The gear is cheaper than Sitka and First Lite now compared to a local shop so im going to be buying Kuiu from now on. Email Dallas to get the info.

By the time it's said and done 20% off doesn't make it cheaper than the other two brands named. You can find them both in Canada on sale just about any time with some searching. Even at regular price it would still be less...Regardless, hopefully we hear of a Canadian distributer soon.

donny.brooke
09-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Ok lets do some math
First lite kanab 2.0 at local shop is $312.00 out the door
Kuiu attack is 109.00 after discount plus 18 shipping is $127.00 US. Lets do 1.33 for exchange to be safe. 168.91 canadian plus 12 percent tax is 189.00 canadian then 18 percent duty puts them at 223 canadian plus 10 bucks for USPS brokerage fee. So 233 landed.
Sitka jetstream jacket is $502.00 out the door at local shop.
Kuiu dcs guide jacket is $151.00 plus 18 shipping is $169.00 US. So $224.00 canadian plus tax and duty is 297.05 so way cheaper than local. Now if you combine items shipping is less on each piece.
Was at local shop and sitka storm front rain jacket is $950.00 tax in and im pretty sure you could get a yukon rainjacket for $540.00 landed easy. So im not sure how you say its cheaper to buy stuff local. This was an apples to apples comparison on equal quality and style gear. Some sitka stuff does go on sale once and a while but usually not the latest and greatest gear that just came out. The kuiu stuff is the latest most up to date stuff they have. I have sitka, first lite and kuiu gear and the quality of all three is top notch.

RustyBrit
09-14-2016, 10:08 PM
Last fall during Kuiu's big sale I got the Yukon set for about $800 to my door. That includes taxed and the hefty bill when I picked it up from Canada Post (even the teller thought it was a mis-print).
It IS cheaper and/or comparable to regular price Sitka, but if you can time it right at Wholesale's 30% off camo events then Sitka is cheaper. Problem being I live 1.5 hours drive from the nearest Wholesale and they are always sold out of all the M and L sizes right away anyways.
End of the day - I LOVE my Kuiu gear. Fantastic product, great product support and innovation, darn good prices for what you get.
If Orvis is going to be selling Kuiu in CDN funds soon I had better find out quick so I can start an offshore bank account to start hiding funds from my wife. I managed to hide the Yukon set but I might not be so lucky next time......

donny.brooke
09-15-2016, 02:06 PM
Orvis wont be selling in Canadian funds, its all going to come from the Kuiu website with a 20% off coupon. I had a pretty good conversation with him about it.

RustyBrit
09-16-2016, 09:04 PM
Very interesting... Which is actually a double bonus. Because it lowers the cost of the items which should lower the cost of the tax/duty charges accordingly as they are a percentage... Or maybe tax/duty will be based on the non-discounted price.
Either way I am interested to see how this all works out.
Thanks Donny for the info.

Rackmastr
09-16-2016, 09:29 PM
Very interesting... Which is actually a double bonus. Because it lowers the cost of the items which should lower the cost of the tax/duty charges accordingly as they are a percentage... Or maybe tax/duty will be based on the non-discounted price.
Either way I am interested to see how this all works out.
Thanks Donny for the info.

Duty and tax is based on price paid. The non discounted price would have no bearing in the equation.

donny.brooke
09-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Ok did some more math
Jetstream and Stormfront if you could find one 30 off local would be.
315.00 for Jetstream compared to 297.00 for Guide jacket
666.00 for Stormfront compared to Yukon at 541.00
So the guys who say its cheaper if you can find it on sale are not correct on these two items at least. At 40 percent off the Kuiu would still be cheaper.
At these prices I quoted for Kuiu I added the exchange at x1.33 for exchange, ×1.12 for taxes, and x1.18 for duty. Then x.30 and x.40 then subtracted that number from the list price for the sitka then x1.12 for taxes. I hope this is close lol.

AgSilver
09-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks for doing the math. I'd done the math before and, as much as it hurt to be hit with close to $500 in duty on my first order. Glad I'm only 30 minutes from the border as my subsequent orders have been "pop down and pick up" orders.

donny.brooke
09-19-2016, 12:55 PM
I just got my passport and will be doing the same in the near future.

09-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Thats great to hear Dallas! And not just because I melted my attack pants on my motorbike muffler for the third time.

What the heck happened to all of his posts? Where/when is the event tonight in PG?

Krico
09-19-2016, 01:18 PM
What the heck happened to all of his posts? Where/when is the event tonight in PG?

Lol. Profile says he was online this morning at 9:50...apparently deleting all his posts...or maybe can't be promoting as not an official site sponsor?

09-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Lol. Profile says he was online this morning at 9:50...apparently deleting all his posts...

Funny because my wife called KUIU a couple of days ago about our refund and the representative said he knew about the posts on hunting forums in BC.

donny.brooke
09-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Im wondering if he isnt a site sponsor and had to delete them?

bcsteve
09-19-2016, 01:50 PM
^^that be my guess.

AgSilver
09-19-2016, 02:36 PM
If only our site sponsors carried the chosen gear....

donny.brooke
09-19-2016, 03:05 PM
If our site sponsors carried the gear it would be triple the price!!

300rum700
09-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Im wondering if he isnt a site sponsor and had to delete them?

Or they don't want to put the info out on a public forum that Americans most definitely read.

donny.brooke
09-19-2016, 03:47 PM
I emailed him. He said HBC pulled the posts due to not being a site sponsor. Fair enough I guess.

Pinewood
09-19-2016, 09:16 PM
I was thinking about this deal. If I were American I'd be pretty upset about the 20% savings the neighbours to the North were getting.

Rackmastr
09-19-2016, 09:55 PM
I was thinking about this deal. If I were American I'd be pretty upset about the 20% savings the neighbours to the North were getting.

KUIU is flogging 20% codes all over the internet right now, so its not exclusive to CDN buyers. Several sites have info posted about 20% off KUIU right now.

donny.brooke
09-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Got my guide jacket and attack pants today. Pretty nice stuff.

AgSilver
09-26-2016, 08:16 PM
I wish that I could see the guide and chinook in person. I want a soft shell but don't want to drop two bills without being certain.

And this site should probably have looked into exploring sponsorship rather than turfing Ovis.

lwing
10-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Anybody know this code. I emailed rep. No answer yet

donny.brooke
10-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Looks like Dallas is on a hunt. He needs to give you a fresh code.

dukesofhazzard
11-04-2016, 04:06 PM
I bought the yukon jacket and pants, picked up at border and drove across, claimed it, see ya later, nothing extra. Easily 1/2 price of comparable sitka.Actually it was cheaper than just the stormfront jacket when I was looking at it at wholesale sports. Now I know not everyone can or wants to drive across and pick up stuff. But it will save you, Key is to do it small orders too. Anyhow, people say new stuff isn't as good as old etc. I get all that, but there were also lots more animals back then too. my review of the yukon gear is straight up awesome stuff. 40-50km/h on the atv for about 45 min straight and when I got back, bone dry. excpet around the cuff and the neck where it was blowing in. It is a little too noisy, but when it is pouring and you stay dry, that means something. I had cheaper columbia gear and another I can't remember and it def. didn't keep rain out like this stuff did.
Also 3 diff times I actually had does walking towards me instead of away( is it the camo? I don't know, but that was the first time that has happened to me)

ps- I love the socks too. they don't move, and are so comfy. Just an opinion thats all.

RackStar
11-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Kuiu is over rated.

AgSilver
11-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Kuiu is over rated.

Quite possibly, but compared to what? As dukes noted, the Yukon rain gear is very good. That jacket is, by far, the best rain jacket I have ever owned. I'm super happy with it and how it performs. I probably should have got a XXL instead of an XL from a layering perspective, but it works well and looks great (I have the brown).

RackStar
11-04-2016, 05:31 PM
arcteryx or any other high end back country gear not aimed at hunting. I own kuiu aswell, it's not magic wear, some times I even opt for my hh impertech. It's noisy and over priced. Even cabelas rain suede holds up just as good and it's silent. Kuiu just nailed it with their marketing and sponsors il give them that, this is the main reason they have become so sucsessfull. Their bags are crap, their tents and sh*t, and why bother buying their over priced sleeping bags. Stick to the tried and true. Sure, their rain gear works but I will be spending my money else were next time. Their down is nothing special, matter of fact I dislike my vest and love my mountain hard wear down I picked up on sale for half the price. And plus I would rather not look like a try hard Gucci hunter with nothing better to spend my money on so I can look like the guys on tv. But you guys enjoy.

Stresd
11-05-2016, 07:49 AM
Kuiu is over rated.

Love, Love my Kuiu. Own a lot of it. Abused it a lot. Tried many other brands and keep coming back to my kuiu. I have owned and sold my Sitka.

BgBlkDg
11-05-2016, 08:00 AM
I would rather not look like a try hard Gucci hunter with nothing better to spend my money on so I can look like the guys on tv. But you guys enjoy.

Laffin', so many DO get sucked into spending lots of $$$$$$ by such marketing. The above is among the best comments I have read on HBC, very funny and all too true!

dukesofhazzard
11-05-2016, 10:31 AM
arcteryx or any other high end back country gear not aimed at hunting. I own kuiu aswell, it's not magic wear, some times I even opt for my hh impertech. It's noisy and over priced. Even cabelas rain suede holds up just as good and it's silent. Kuiu just nailed it with their marketing and sponsors il give them that, this is the main reason they have become so sucsessfull. Their bags are crap, their tents and sh*t, and why bother buying their over priced sleeping bags. Stick to the tried and true. Sure, their rain gear works but I will be spending my money else were next time. Their down is nothing special, matter of fact I dislike my vest and love my mountain hard wear down I picked up on sale for half the price. And plus I would rather not look like a try hard Gucci hunter with nothing better to spend my money on so I can look like the guys on tv. But you guys enjoy.

kuiu compared to arcteryx- I am not saying its better, just my thoughts on how it worked, Now an arcteryx jacket would be 700$ for the same, I paid less than 300$ for mine when on sale, So that is what I was getting at, I didn't pay sitka price or arcteryx price, heck even columbia and others are easily getting into the 300-400$ range, I am just helping anyone who has thought about decide, I stayed dry, to me that is what mattered. Not a who is better than who, cause there is no win for that, everyone likes what they like that is why there are so many choices. Thats all!!

Stresd
11-05-2016, 10:39 AM
I wish that I could see the guide and chinook in person. I want a soft shell but don't want to drop two bills without being certain.

I'm just across the river from you, and you are more than welcome to take look at the Kuiu gear I have. No chinook but I have the Guide,Yukon, Chugach, Gloves, Puffies Etc.

The Hermit
11-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Ok lets do some math
First lite kanab 2.0 at local shop is $312.00 out the door
Kuiu attack is 109.00 after discount plus 18 shipping is $127.00 US. Lets do 1.33 for exchange to be safe. 168.91 canadian plus 12 percent tax is 189.00 canadian then 18 percent duty puts them at 223 canadian plus 10 bucks for USPS brokerage fee. So 233 landed.
Sitka jetstream jacket is $502.00 out the door at local shop.
Kuiu dcs guide jacket is $151.00 plus 18 shipping is $169.00 US. So $224.00 canadian plus tax and duty is 297.05 so way cheaper than local. Now if you combine items shipping is less on each piece.
Was at local shop and sitka storm front rain jacket is $950.00 tax in and im pretty sure you could get a yukon rainjacket for $540.00 landed easy. So im not sure how you say its cheaper to buy stuff local. This was an apples to apples comparison on equal quality and style gear. Some sitka stuff does go on sale once and a while but usually not the latest and greatest gear that just came out. The kuiu stuff is the latest most up to date stuff they have. I have sitka, first lite and kuiu gear and the quality of all three is top notch.

Ahem... don't want to make too big an issue about this but the First Lite Kanab 2 and the Kuiu attack pants are totally different. I own and use both. The Kuiu Attack pants are super comfortable but pill up terribly in any brush especially brambles and blackberry. I bought them in plain colours so that I could wear them as town pants but they are so ratty I'd look loke a homeless person. AND they are NOT merino wool.

The First Lite Kanab 2 are admittedly not as stretchy comfortable like the Kuiu Attack (I call them hunting PJs) BUT they are Merino Wool, do not pill up like the Kuiu product, and work really well.

If you have $30 credit check out the KUIU climbing belt... best belt I've ever had!

leadpillproductions
11-05-2016, 12:28 PM
I have the alpine pants just awsome, chinook jacket very nice stuff

AgSilver
11-07-2016, 06:23 PM
I'm just across the river from you, and you are more than welcome to take look at the Kuiu gear I have. No chinook but I have the Guide,Yukon, Chugach, Gloves, Puffies Etc.

Thanks man, may take you up on that.

And yes, Arcteryx is great stuff, but if I can get a similar quality jacket (and I feel that the high end stuff like the Yukon is pretty close) for half the price, I'm at a loss as to where we're all going wrong. There can be more than one good brand on the market and just because it's not the absolute best available, it doesn't mean it's no good.

And it's not all Gucci patterns either...although I do like the Verde...it's no more dorky than any other camo. And, as noted, it's usually quite a bit cheaper than similar quality gear. Particularly if you know how to shop the sales and live close to the border.

Additionally, I literally wear my Attacks almost every day on weekends...I have grey and brown pairs and they are phenomenal. Admittedly, I haven't often taken them through hardcores brambles and blackberry (only once and only noticed one snag). I have been meaning to check out the Kanabs, though...I like what FL does.

khoffnbud
11-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Ok, after a recent purchase from KUIU, I feel I can add my 0.02 in.

Bought the Northstar Gloves using a 20% code from the rep.
Order total was 88.94 USD and after conversion, $122 CAN. Another $43 in duty upon delivery and we have an even $165 give or take a few cents.

Now for a fair comparison, since the Northstars are KUIUs late season cold weather glove I'll compare similar from First Lite and Sitka.

First Lite Grizzly Glove, available from a retailer in the interior, $250, add tax and we're sitting at $280.

Sitka Coldfront GTX Glove, available from the same retailer, $210, add the tax, $235.

Now, actually having tried on all 3 I'll say that for starters they are all very good gloves. With the exception of actually using them out in the weather, all are well made and the fit and finish are great. Can't really say one would stand out better than the other 2. So that being said, why would you spend 235-280 when you can spend 165?

Even without the 20% code, would've been 108.94 USD, on that particular day the exchange was 1.375 for a total of 149.80CAN, add tax and duty and the 9.95 handling fee, still only around $208CAN.

Bottom line, when compared, KUIU gear is still cheaper even without a discount code and even more so with one, when compared to similar gear already up here.

todbartell
11-15-2016, 11:46 PM
one advantage that Sitka has is you can check it out, try it on, hands on. If Sitka nails down their Canadian warehouse so product comes directly to Canada rather than via USA you'll see an approx 15% price reduction up here. So that $210 glove would be $200 after tax. Kuiu glove $208...

khoffnbud
11-15-2016, 11:59 PM
one advantage that Sitka has is you can check it out, try it on, hands on. If Sitka nails down their Canadian warehouse so product comes directly to Canada rather than via USA you'll see an approx 15% price reduction up here. So that $210 glove would be $200 after tax. Kuiu glove $208...
Great point that I missed! There's a lot to be said to be able to go down to the store and check something out instead of just picking a size online and hoping for the best. I hope they (sitka) do get it in line, I'm not brand loyal I'm whatever works the best for me loyal. Returning stuff to KUIU is a PITA though, you're stuck with the cost of shipping it back and if you don't bother with the border services form to get the duty back, well you're out that too.

ducktoller
11-16-2016, 12:05 AM
FYI as confirmed by Kuiu via their facebook, they are working on a Canadian site and solution for Canadian Customers (my comment specifically stated duties as barrier to purchase). SO hopefully that solves the issue.

todbartell
11-16-2016, 12:47 AM
I'd be surprised if Kuiu opens something in Canada. Their business model doesn't promote service or convenience :) Just profits for Jason

BCHoyt
11-16-2016, 06:11 AM
Is it possible to have kuiu stuff that you order in Canada shipped to family in the US?

donny.brooke
11-16-2016, 06:16 AM

We have been hearing about a Sitka Canadian wharehouse for years now. If is the key part in this. My crystal balls are telling me its not going to happen.

Tuffcity
11-17-2016, 03:28 PM
Is it possible to have kuiu stuff that you order in Canada shipped to family in the US?

Absolutely. Back when the dollar was par and I regularly went to Seattle I'd have stuff delivered to the hotel. One year my wife and kids where in Florida and we had items delivered to a hotel there.

RC

Seeker
11-17-2016, 03:50 PM
I love KUIU gear! I really do. After years of sub par, non breathable gear, I tried Kuiu 3 years ago and I cannot make myself go back. I steer away from Sitka and First Lite due to price. Kuiu can add up if you do not have an American Shipping address and have to pay duties. I have been able to get around the duties thing and have been very happy with the gear I have "actually" received. The reason I say 'actually' is that being average in size, I wear the large size in Kuiu Gear. After repeated orders, it appears most people wear large as most of what I seem to want to order is not available or on back order. Normally not an issue as I don't mind waiting for great gear. What pissed me off this morning when I went to order some Rain gear on their 30% off sale, there is a little star at the bottom of the advertisement that states "30% off in stock items only" WTF. So if any of you have experience with Kuiu, being out of stock is as likely as rain in March in Vancouver for those of us who wear large items. Needless to say, no rain gear for me. This sale basically discriminates against average Joes, but if your larger than average or smaller than average, its a great sale. The sad thing is, I was going to purchase a Guide jacket to raffle off(size Large in Verde camo pattern) for our Fish and Game club fundraiser night and guess what? Yup, out of stock! Disappointed is an understatement. I do not see why they can't take orders for the 4 day sale and honor those prices even if it means the customers must wait for the product. Its not like Kuiu is going to go broke. They sold $30 million dollars worth of products last year!

SR80
11-18-2016, 07:31 AM
I love KUIU gear! I really do. After years of sub par, non breathable gear, I tried Kuiu 3 years ago and I cannot make myself go back. I steer away from Sitka and First Lite due to price. Kuiu can add up if you do not have an American Shipping address and have to pay duties. I have been able to get around the duties thing and have been very happy with the gear I have "actually" received. The reason I say 'actually' is that being average in size, I wear the large size in Kuiu Gear. After repeated orders, it appears most people wear large as most of what I seem to want to order is not available or on back order. Normally not an issue as I don't mind waiting for great gear. What pissed me off this morning when I went to order some Rain gear on their 30% off sale, there is a little star at the bottom of the advertisement that states "30% off in stock items only" WTF. So if any of you have experience with Kuiu, being out of stock is as likely as rain in March in Vancouver for those of us who wear large items. Needless to say, no rain gear for me. This sale basically discriminates against average Joes, but if your larger than average or smaller than average, its a great sale. The sad thing is, I was going to purchase a Guide jacket to raffle off(size Large in Verde camo pattern) for our Fish and Game club fundraiser night and guess what? Yup, out of stock! Disappointed is an understatement. I do not see why they can't take orders for the 4 day sale and honor those prices even if it means the customers must wait for the product. Its not like Kuiu is going to go broke. They sold $30 million dollars worth of products last year!

Every time kuiu has a sale like this the same stuff is brought up by people that missed out. I bet there was thousands of people online at 12am to put their order in because every time they have a big sale people whine because the stuff they want isnt in stock. First come , first serve. Just like anything. Saying that the sale discriminates against average joes is hilarious though, that made me almost spit out my coffee!

Lastcar
11-18-2016, 09:32 PM
Every time kuiu has a sale like this the same stuff is brought up by people that missed out. I bet there was thousands of people online at 12am (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://0) to put their order in because every time they have a big sale people whine because the stuff they want isnt in stock. First come , first serve. Just like anything. Saying that the sale discriminates against average joes is hilarious though, that made me almost spit out my coffee!

Leg humper.

Lastcar
11-18-2016, 09:40 PM
There posts on the KUIU Instagram account on the promotion for this sale confirming other's experiences. Load the cart up, all items in stock. Right at midnight refresh, the cart and items are now out of stock. Showed in stock minutes earlier. Figure maybe it's because the system resets when the site wide sale starts. Clear cart, go to add the items again. No dice, out of stock.

First come, NO serve.

There's something about Jason that doesn't sit well with a lot of folks, myself included. Can't get past that. Have their Gaiters and zip off long underwear. But that is about all I can hold my nose for.

Seeker
11-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Every time kuiu has a sale like this the same stuff is brought up by people that missed out. I bet there was thousands of people online at 12am to put their order in because every time they have a big sale people whine because the stuff they want isnt in stock. First come , first serve. Just like anything. Saying that the sale discriminates against average joes is hilarious though, that made me almost spit out my coffee!

Don't waste good coffee! I was just pissy yesterday. Lesson learned, ordered a few things I could. Know better now. But I am starting to lean towards Lastcars thinking...Can only go to the well so many times and if its always dry, doesn't matter how sweet the water is, eventually you stop going. I'll not be surprised if my desired rain gear is in stock before Christmas. Can you recommend comparable rain gear for $400?

todbartell
11-29-2016, 09:28 PM
There posts on the KUIU Instagram account on the promotion for this sale confirming other's experiences. Load the cart up, all items in stock. Right at midnight refresh, the cart and items are now out of stock. Showed in stock minutes earlier. Figure maybe it's because the system resets when the site wide sale starts. Clear cart, go to add the items again. No dice, out of stock.

First come, NO serve.

Was looking to try the Attack pant, logged in Friday for their big Black friday sale. They list two solid colors. no Verde. No size 38's in either solid. Oh well

Log in today, in stock in a solid size 38, and voila, Verde does exist! and in a size 38.... Sale ended yesterday ;)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/eb/6a/19/eb6a1907e941faec7ab2177e2c0d9ff9.jpg

donny.brooke
12-28-2016, 04:27 PM
Tried out my Yukon jacket the last couple days and simply amazing.

New Bow Hunter
01-12-2017, 06:18 PM
I was informed Kuiu is setting up a Canadian outlet to handle Canadian orders.
I guess Trump will hammer the crap out of them because they moved out of the US.

Pinewood
01-12-2017, 08:43 PM
There will be absolutely no difference in cost buying from the "new" Canadian store. The goods are still manufactured in China and the duty will remain the same. All this move does is ensure that each, and every order will be slapped with duty as opposed to the crap shoot is has been with Customs. I asked on Kuius webpage about this situation and of course my comment was censored and never made it to print. I also asked Dallas Cota(Kuiu's Canada rep) via email and there was nothing that would save us a nickel. All it will do is provide better order tracking info. I'm not buying Kuiu anymore and don't really care, but this kind of shit really chaps my ass as it's really just a marketing gimmick.

Bear Brawler
01-12-2017, 10:11 PM
It's like anything else, if you like you'll pay for it. It may cost you more than buying a Sitka product at WSS but it I think it's better and will continue to buy the products I like from them and I have quite a bit already.

SR80
01-13-2017, 07:20 AM
i had a warranty issue, and Dallas emailed me a waybill (with shipping covered) to ship my item to him in red deer, and now my replacement comes from kuiu. So we wont have to pay to ship items back to kuiu now at least.

The kuiu canada page that comes up will have the total price in canadian funds which will include taxes and duties. So really no savings for us, just prevents that surprise when you go pick up your shiny new yukon jacket and pants at the post office and have to shell out an another $250 for duties and fees.

donny.brooke
01-14-2017, 07:59 PM
I was informed Kuiu is setting up a Canadian outlet to handle Canadian orders.
I guess Trump will hammer the crap out of them because they moved out of the US.

This isnt happening just a rumor according to Dallas the Kuiu Canadian rep. I just texted him and asked him. All orders come out of Kuiu USA

firebird
01-30-2017, 08:56 AM
My wife got me Kuiu Teton Jacket and pants for Christmas paid $345 and another $100 CAD duty. I told her she was nuts but anyways I had killed my old rain suit and she new Id been looking at Kuiu. She had measured me and called them for sizing and the stuff arrived and was to small to be practical. With the hassle of returning it and refund on duty etc. my wife kept it because it fit her.

Got a bad taste in my mouth and won't be buying anything from Kuiu again. Especially when I can get Sitka local or from a Canadian dealer, and no issue returning if it doesn't fit or i have warranty issues.

Bonz
01-30-2017, 08:57 AM
so their gear is made over seas? i thought they were american

donny.brooke
01-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Sitka, Firstlite and Kuiu are manufactured overseas.

Bonz
01-30-2017, 09:12 AM
cant afford that gear. just assumed was american made. some still charge duty even though made in north america. pain in the ass filing for the refund on duty

donny.brooke
01-30-2017, 02:24 PM
I have a few more pieces to get and im done for a while. Spent a small fortune on mu Kuiu gear but well worth it.

REMINGTON JIM
01-30-2017, 03:33 PM
kuiu used to be from BC CANADA ! :cry: RJ

firebird
01-31-2017, 07:54 AM
kuiu used to be from BC CANADA ! :cry: RJ

Yes too bad cause that would make a huge difference on my view.

Sitka on sale is the same price and no hassle.

donny.brooke
01-31-2017, 09:16 AM
Yes too bad cause that would make a huge difference on my view.

Sitka on sale is the same price and no hassle.

See post #43

firebird
01-31-2017, 03:25 PM
See post #43

You got me!!

Just bought the timberline pants and jacket

pants $255 CAD
jacket $383 cad
+ tax
+shipping
=669 Cad

compared to
kuiu alpine pant? $195 Cad
kuiu guide jacket? $263 CAd
+tax and duty
+shipping free
=510$

SITKA free returns, no boarder or duty, helping pay a friends wage, dealing with a company that cares about their CAnadian market= Priceless and a lot less painful

donny.brooke
01-31-2017, 03:30 PM
Your paying duty on the sitka its just buried in the price. All chinese clothing gets hit with 18 percent coming across. The returning things and trying on is a bonus though.

Lastcar
01-31-2017, 03:33 PM
You got me!!

pants $255 CAD
jacket $383 cad
+ tax
+shipping
=669 Cad

compared to
+tax and duty
+shipping free
=510$

SITKA free returns, no boarder or duty, helping pay a friends wage, dealing with a company that cares about their CAnadian market= Priceless and a lot less painful

Let us not forget Sitka is superior clothing. Must factor that in.

***lights dynamite and walks away to never view thread again knowing his trolling is strong***

firebird
01-31-2017, 03:38 PM
Just check the dewpoint line on sale and the Chugach and for a set Kuiu is $50 less than Sitka

donny.brooke
01-31-2017, 04:36 PM
The dewpoint is more like the ultra nx rain jacket. Very light and packable but not tough. The Chugach is pretty tough but a bit heavier. I have had the dewpoint, downpour, stormtite and chugach and sold them all and now have the yukon. Yukon is the best i have worn hands down. Might actually not wear my guide jacket much anymore in favour of the yukon.

AgSilver
01-31-2017, 04:41 PM
The dewpoint is more like the ultra nx rain jacket. Very light and packable but not tough. The Chugach is pretty tough but a bit heavier. I have had the dewpoint, downpour, stormtite and chugach and sold them all and now have the yukon. Yukon is the best i have worn hands down. Might actually not wear my guide jacket much anymore in favour of the yukon.

SEAK Stormtight or Boundary? Am interested in that as I might have to turf my Yukon (I'm just a bit big for it from a layering perspective...not much underneath, no problem...lots of layers? no bueno, fatso).

donny.brooke
01-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Boundry stormtite, didnt breathe as well as the yukon.

Stresd
01-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Let us not forget Sitka is superior clothing. Must factor that in.

That
must be why my Cuz sold off all of his Sitka as he was replacing it with Kuiu. Even taking into account that his wife gets a discount on Sitka, as where she works sells the stuff.

swampthing
01-31-2017, 06:46 PM
I think we are the same size Donny [XXL] a manly size for sure!! If you want to flog that guide jacket and its in vias let me know!

donny.brooke
01-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Its actually in xxxl and in vias but was gift from gf so flogging isnt in the cards at the moment.

Lastcar
01-31-2017, 08:07 PM
That
must be why my Cuz sold off all of his Sitka as he was replacing it with Kuiu. Even taking into account that his wife gets a discount on Sitka, as where she works sells the stuff.

Well damn, if you're going to bring scientific evidence into this I best back right off.

Also, I'm neutral on it all. People should wear what they like if it works for them. Sure as shit isn't any of my businesses. Someone is happy, I'm happy.

Edited to add, I assume my trolling comment would have given away it was in jest. I truly don't get into the clothing wars. I am a Sitka guy, but have used some KUIU stuff and been happy with it. Still use their zip off base layers bottoms. Sidezips on long underoos is amazing.

People should wear what fits their budget, is comfortable, works for their needs and as long as they get out in the woods and mountains and stay safe...giver hell. <<< That right there is the brand of clothes I will stand up for every time.

SR80
02-01-2017, 07:20 AM
You got me!!

pants $255 CAD
jacket $383 cad
+ tax
+shipping
=669 Cad

compared to
+tax and duty
+shipping free
=510$

SITKA free returns, no boarder or duty, helping pay a friends wage, dealing with a company that cares about their CAnadian market= Priceless and a lot less painfulTo be fair, you aren't comparing similar items. Same with your rain gear comparison. I use stuff from both companies, I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Both are china made stuff. Just like most stuff.

firebird
02-01-2017, 08:26 AM
Good Point! just like you stated- Tough to compare when you can't touch KUIU!!!! I would have ordered the Alpine pants and guide jacket and Kuiu rain gear expecting something else, and been disappointed again. When you look online at material weight and how many layers etc it looks the same.

IM not saying KUIU is no good, just got burned once and don't feel like trying to again.

Lastcar
02-01-2017, 06:26 PM
I think guys saying not being able to try things on and feel them first doesn't mean they are saying KUIU is bad clothing.

Just that the business model doesn't work for their style of buying gear.

Not sure why it needs to turn into a which company is better debate...well other than that seems to be theme on all conversations KUIU.

It is not like we are responsible to dress each other each morning. Each person can make their own choice, they sure as heck don't need some dude or dudette calling them out on on the internet.

Well. except for Gatehouse, he is responsible for changing diapers around here. Much to his chagrin I assume. So stop pooping in your pants people.

**Looks at Lord Winchster Chokinghaminstein Edinburgh Single Shot Duke of Pump Action Prince Twenty Dram or whatever the heck his handle is.**

PS - yes, I trolled the thread, so I am responsible for the latest firing up of the KUIU fans. I thought my sarcasm would've been noted. My bad.

AgSilver
02-01-2017, 06:59 PM
PS - yes, I trolled the thread, so I am responsible for the latest firing up of the KUIU fans. I thought my sarcasm would've been noted. My bad.

I thought it was funny.

palmer
05-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Well Kuiu no longer offers the 20% discount and I don't see any Canadian outlet. Anybody know if they are still looking at helping Canadians buy there gear ?

khoffnbud
05-13-2017, 05:00 AM
They still do but not like it matters now, seems like there was a price increase on everything.

SR80
05-13-2017, 08:47 AM
wonder what happened to their kuiu canada website that was supposed to be up and running in april?? more lies?

donny.brooke
05-13-2017, 04:54 PM
If you call Dallas Kota he will give you 15% off your order. Not sure about the Canadian website? Maybe Dallas could let us know whats up with that?

Rob
05-13-2017, 06:31 PM
Does 15% cover the overseas mark up? Dont own any Kuiu gear, have a HH rain jacket is it better than that? Pants I wear the Prana Zion which are pretty comfy. curious how Kuiu compares to regular stuff or what makes it better.. Not trolling here just want to know if its a fad or...?

donny.brooke
05-13-2017, 09:49 PM
Duty is 18% so the 15% isnt really covering it. Then exchange and taxes makes it sting a bit nowadays.

KBC
05-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Is it not made in the USA?

The Hermit
05-13-2017, 10:07 PM
My Kuiu Cahuga rain pants ripped sliding down a snowy hillside. snagged a rock so can't really complain about that but the matching jacket is delaminating in numerous spots. First Lite Stormtight is a little heavier and so far works well, really like the hood.

todbartell
05-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Kuiu Canada has a instragram account and seem to be traveling the country with their gear.

Pinewood
05-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Kuiu is made in China, Duty will be charged. In my opinion, they are bringing out too many different items. Jason Hairston is definitely a smart dude but I think he is slowly messing it up. The business model is supposed to be direct to consumer, no middle man, no frills. Well I got a fancy little catalogue in the mail the other day, which I'm sure a lot of you received as well. That thing would have cost a fortune to produce and distribute to all the customers past and present. Things like that are just costs passed down to the consumer. No thanks, I won't buy Kuiu again. Kifaru is getting my gear money these days and I'm just wearing hiking clothes.

Treed
05-13-2017, 11:22 PM
There is so much high quality gear out there (I own some Kuiu rain pants - not impressed with the durability but breathabiliry and comfort was great). Arcteryx gear is the best I have tried. I work in the bush and wear different gear for that - low tech and durable. When I hunt, I want good breathable clothing, when I work I want to be dry. Gortex vs Stuff. Buy what works for what you need. A sheep hunt is different than a moose hunt and the clothes should reflect that. It is nice to wear great gear though! Screw the old jeans and flannel approach. It was uncomfortable then and still is now.

palmer
05-19-2017, 07:44 PM
If you call Dallas Kota he will give you 15% off your order. Not sure about the Canadian website? Maybe Dallas could let us know whats up with that?

Emailed and no discount, Dallas said that had ended

donny.brooke
05-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Thats crappy as he told me discounts for canadian customers were going to be avilable all the time to help offset the duty? Without that discount the gear is way to expensive. Im glad I got my gear already. Gf works at Wholesale so I get pretty good discount there.

palmer
05-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Yep was looking at spending some coin but will have to look hard at it now

Pinewood
05-19-2017, 10:20 PM
Ha ha ha. Man you gotta love the effort they put into their Canadian customer. What happened to the Canadian website(which did nothing btw)? Oh yeah, Jason woke up and realized he didn't give a shit lol. I have some of their gear and like it, but man they really are missing the mark these days. Got too big too fast, forgot about why people buy their gear(it's supposed to be a cheap option).

Rob
05-19-2017, 11:09 PM
Ha ha ha. Man you gotta love the effort they put into their Canadian customer. What happened to the Canadian website(which did nothing btw)? Oh yeah, Jason woke up and realized he didn't give a shit lol. I have some of their gear and like it, but man they really are missing the mark these days. Got too big too fast, forgot about why people buy their gear(it's supposed to be a cheap option).

What he said......

Ovis Canadensis Hunter
05-23-2017, 11:42 AM
Hello Guys,

I am the Canadian rep for KUIU.

Jason and I are well aware of the issues Canadians face when ordering KUIU. I've ordered thousands of dollars worth of gear long before I was ever involved with KUIU and can relate first hand with the duties and exchange rate.

The KUIU Canada E-shop website is set to launch in the next month or so. This has taken alot longer than expected but I assure you, we are diligently working on it. This website will alleviate any surprise duty charges and you will be paying in Canadian funds. No more surprises! I am travelling through BC for the next couple weeks to allow Canadian customers the chance to view,touch and get fitted. All orders at the show will receive 15% off and orders over $200.00 will receive a free KUIU Canada t-shirt. All locations,dates,details and times are under the events tab on our Facebook page KUIU (CA) If you have any questions please feel free to email me at dallasc@kuiu.com

ChronoShooter
05-25-2017, 06:39 AM
Taxes are what they are, and duty protects Canadian producers who can't compete with slave-labor pricing.

It's nobody's fault you didn't know the actual cost of what you're purchasing.

Be more upset about paying $400 US for a made-in-china jacket. That's a hell of a margin for the brand owner!

donny.brooke
05-25-2017, 11:35 AM
This gear gets hit with duty when it comes into the US originally. Then it gets hit with duty again as it comes from US to Canada. They need a direct from China to Canada solution to keep it reasonable.

Pinewood
05-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Taxes are what they are, and duty protects Canadian producers who can't compete with slave-labor pricing.

It's nobody's fault you didn't know the actual cost of what you're purchasing.

Be more upset about paying $400 US for a made-in-china jacket. That's a hell of a margin for the brand owner!

Well said. There are plenty of duty calculators available on the web, no need for hidden surprises.

SR80
05-26-2017, 06:45 AM
i thought kuiu was made in vancouver?

BgBlkDg
05-26-2017, 06:59 AM
Oh, NO, that is a major issue with Hairston and his crew. He STARTED Kuiu with a Vancouver-made deal, which certainly would appeal to serious mountain hunters and THEN, very quietly moved his manufacturing to, "quelle surprise" CHINA!!!! He also sold some gear as made here in Vancity when it was made in the PRC.

At that point, some of us with rather extensive BC-AB mountain experience decided that "Kuiu" was NOT for us and I would not buy ANY of his highly-hyped gear for that reason. I also find the recent obsession with "kewl" very costly hunting clothing simply amusing as GOOD duds that WORK well in shitty mountain conditions is available for far less $$$$ and trendy camo is there to sell stuff to gullible hunters.

I have clothing, bought 30 years ago, made in the USA and here, used only for hunting that still works as well as I wish my almost 71 year old bod still did. I buy THE BEST in tents, sleeping gear, optics, boots and packs, but, prefer mostly dull, earthtones and simple hunting clothes.

One of the BEST hunters I know wears mostly woolens his wife gets from Sally Anne and Value Village and he has shot more HUGE elk than anyone else I know.....by himself, hunting hard and staying fit........

TARCHER
05-26-2017, 08:14 AM
spend over 200 get free t shirt, wow, lmao

BCHunterTV
05-26-2017, 05:53 PM
i want the 2 person mtn tent but spending close to $1000 including duty scares me aware

KBC
05-26-2017, 09:35 PM
I don't mind spending money on something if it's high quality and made somewhere I know people are making decent wages. At some point our morals need to take precedent over how cheap you can get something. With the weak dollar and the huge duties on things not made in North America this stuff seems like way too much money for something made in China but if it was made in the USA or Canada or (insert Country without a history of sweatshops) the big price tag is much easier to swallow.

SR80
05-27-2017, 07:56 AM
i want the 2 person mtn tent but spending close to $1000 including duty scares me aware

for that cost you could get a hille, which will be much better anyways

mastercaller
06-21-2019, 06:47 AM
Funny how that sometimes I get hit with taxes at the post office and other times I don't.

I set up a box number just across the line. Typically free shipping in the US. I am going for other things anyways, time the delivery and bring it back. I declare it and good to go.