PDA

View Full Version : Best Mineral attractant for game cameras- Feedback

browningboy
08-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Just wondering what has been working for people for around their game cameras, heard that blocks aren't as good as the crushed? Want to try placing some cameras this weekend and try this out!

bigstew
08-24-2016, 03:32 PM
Blocks work well, but they can provide to much available salt/minerals at one time. Salt fines mix into soil and dissolve and cause the deer to dig to get more. Typically this mean the average deer will have to return to get the salt that they require.

Boner
08-24-2016, 03:38 PM
They only take what they need. I use brown bricks and take them away when i pull my cams.

showtimebc
08-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Bit late to the game, deer are just about over the summer salt craze. Should pick up a bit come November

Wentrot
08-24-2016, 04:46 PM
Water softener salt.

bassplayer
08-24-2016, 04:54 PM
Bit late to the game, deer are just about over the summer salt craze. Should pick up a bit come November
My water softener salts work year round right into the fall.

decker9
08-24-2016, 06:36 PM
I have great luck with ws salt, but bucks seem to disappear in early sept, mulies and wt. I read once, that once they loose their velvet, that they don't chase the salt/mineral blocks as much, not sure how true it is tho. In my instance, it seems to be like that.

browningboy
08-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Hmm, well thanks boys, I will throw some out for the hell of it

Sitkaspruce
08-24-2016, 07:34 PM
I am trying a few different things this year along with the water softener salt, will see how they work out.

There is lots of options, less if you have bears around as they tend to eat anything with a sweetener to them, so don't use COB or anything with a sweet taste to them or your will have tons of bear picts and maybe even have the bear take a bite out of your camera.

Cheers

SS

browningboy
08-24-2016, 07:44 PM
I am trying a few different things this year along with the water softener salt, will see how they work out.

There is lots of options, less if you have bears around as they tend to eat anything with a sweetener to them, so don't use COB or anything with a sweet taste to them or your will have tons of bear picts and maybe even have the bear take a bite out of your camera.

Cheers

SS

friggin bears! Pain in the ass

Squamch
08-24-2016, 08:01 PM
We used "red eye mix" this year. Apparently, wolves love it. Bitch and pups rolling around in it. Deer liked it until the wolves showed up. The elk were into it too.

buck400
08-24-2016, 10:29 PM
this year I use swamp donkey molasses block and it worked great and no bears lots of bucks and moose and I brought some deer cane at last time in July and we'll see if that worked had to set the cam to 2 shots stander had 4400 pics killed the batter in a month

hunter1947
08-25-2016, 03:16 AM
I have great luck with ws salt, but bucks seem to disappear in early sept, mulies and wt. I read once, that once they loose their velvet, that they don't chase the salt/mineral blocks as much, not sure how true it is tho. In my instance, it seems to be like that.

I agree with you thoughts I have witnessed the same effects over my years right now I don't get mr big on the trail cameras anymore it all starts within the last two weeks of Aug ,,one thing I do know is that there still somewhere within this area and its up to me to try and find there bedroom..

Most times I use the blue alkaline block salt the lose alkaline salt works great to get the salt into the ground after a few rains....

dirtymax
08-25-2016, 07:31 AM
Just picked up my camera yesterday , first year using a trail cam , I used a sugar cane block and got my first ever pics of big game ! Had this buck coming twice a day . Not a big buck but this is from region two , less than 400 m from a main fsr. http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/RickyVB/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslhvehu8s.jpeg.html]http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/RickyVB/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpslhvehu8s.jpeg[/URL]

Cyrus
08-25-2016, 12:26 PM
ive experimented blue vs brown licks and deer seem to like blue better.

hunter1947
08-25-2016, 05:45 PM
ive experimented blue vs brown licks and deer seem to like blue better.

Your right I have tried the brown and the deer elk don't like the brown as much as the cobalt salt blue..

adamsarich09
08-25-2016, 09:41 PM
I used primos red spot blocks this year and had lots of bucks from April until the middle of July, but last time I checked the camera none of the bucks that had been there since April were there. first year using cameras, is this normal for blacktails?