PDA

View Full Version : Will A Coyote Push Deer Out

Lastcar
08-24-2016, 02:03 PM
I am out scouting for the upcoming bow season. In the area I got to 35 yards on a buck last year, but couldn't get the shot.

Worked over the area last two mornings for about 5 hours each day.

Spotted two bucks but further into the area than I have seen them in the past. Although I did see 2 does and 2 fawns very close to the area I describe below.

On my way back through where I've seen bucks before including last years buck I put a stalk on, I saw a coyote. He didn't realize I was there either day (at 125 yards and 175 yards respectively). I don't know enough about coyotes, but even when it seemed to realize something was up and would stare my way for extended times it continued to hunt rodents. Pouncing and even working its way closer to me.

Would what seem to be a single coyote impact ungulates movements? Would they avoid the area?

Again, so far I've only seen the one. I stayed and glassed the area for awhile trying to see if there was more. Pure speculation but I'd assume a pack would be far more intimidating.

It would make sense a deer wouldn't want to hang around, even if a single coyote isn't a serious threat to adult deer. I kinda get the idea a healthy adult deer is tricky for a single coyote to take down. But this is also speculation on my part.

So what do you think? Enough to push them out? Or enough to make them more aloof? Or probably not a big deal to them?

Yes, come September 1 I'll eliminate the problem first morning it continues to hang around. Been meaning to try out the electronic call, no better time.

takla1
08-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Not a big deal,there shareing the same area's yr round so they wont push out deer like a pack of wolves would.Ive encountered cyotes hunting younger and older sick deer in pairs before on more than one occasion but a single cyote would have a hard time bringing down a healthy deer..
I crack them when I see them regardless in the places I hunt.

takla

Whonnock Boy
08-24-2016, 02:36 PM
I think you working the area over a couple days in succession is more likely to push deer out than a single coyote. If you have spotted deer, and witnessed good sign, it might be in your best interest to leave the area alone until the season is actually open.

Ourea
08-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Deer deal with predation....coyotes, cougars, wolves, bears, eagles....everyday of their life
Nothing new to them

A guy stompin around in the bush...especially if you bounce them in their bedroom
That is the biggest negative impact

Lastcar
08-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Makes sense. I get that they are sharing the space with predators. In this case, this one is hanging around the waterhole the deer move from the cover to and back.

More wondered if it's like a bee buzzing around. Which it sounds like you guys are saying. More annoying than anything. Which would make me leave, or get a fly swatter. I'll bring the fly swatter on the 1st. ;-)

This one was very active relative to others I have seen. Seemed to have little care I was there. Was pretty brash, working the same small area hard for an extended time during the day. Perhaps I just was fortunate enough to see it doing its thing. I've only ever seen them slinking across a cut or field, not actively hunting rodents.

Those are my only two trips in the area until the 1st. Went in 4km and back the 4km another route. Steered clear of walking in the spots I hunt. Glassing it from a distance. Just that one area hourglasses and I am forced to get within 4-500 yards of the treeline. Coyote happened to be on my side of the opening.

Which is not to say the deer don't hear, see or smell me. I am sure they do, but being as discreet as I can and giving them as much berth as I can.

Off to check on another area tomorrow and one more before I leave on Saturday.

Thanks for the answers guys,

Ourea
08-24-2016, 07:41 PM
We have killed White Tail by cam sites.
Gutted them out right there

To see deer standing on the stain that was eaten by coyotes that night.....

Message being....don't worry about it

Buckmeister
08-24-2016, 09:55 PM
One year I went to a spot early morning known to produce deer. I saw three WT bucks, a 2 point, 3 point, and 4 point. Annoying them was two or three coyotes. One of the deer put his head down and charged one of the yotes and sent them all packing.

Last year, we had a game cam set up for most of the summer, and all the fall and winter. We got plenty of pics of deer and fawns, yotes, B bears, and cougar. The deer stuck around.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Lastcar
08-25-2016, 05:14 PM
Awesome, thanks guys!