PDA

View Full Version : Record Low Salmon Returns

Ourea
08-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Salmon run hits record low (http://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/174118/Salmon-run-hits-record-low)Mike Youds - Aug 24, 2016 / 5:54 am | Story: 174118
http://www.castanet.net/content/2016/8/stocks_large_p3153715.jpg Photo: DFO

From an initial estimate of 2.3 million, the projected run size for Fraser River sockeye this season has sunk to 853,000, which would make it the poorest return since record keeping began, 113 years ago.
The rockbottom return — which has already led to closure of the Lower Fraser to recreational fishing and cancellation of this season’s Secwepemc inland fishery on Kamloops Lake — is forecast in the latest report from the Pacific Salmon Commission. Based on escapement in 2012, the commission was expecting a below-average return. Now it looks to be less than half of what was originally forecast.
Although this year’s sockeye return is the low point in the four-year migratory cycle, warm ocean and river temperatures are believed to be increasing mortality, further depressing the stocks.
“The exact reasons why the return fell at the lower end of the forecast range are unknown at this time, but poorer than average marine survival is a leading candidate,” the commission report states with its final in-season estimates.
River temperature on Aug. 18 was measured at 20.6 C, which was 2.5 C higher than average for that date. Counted salmon have been in good shape, though.
The Department of Fisheries and Ocean’s Environmental Watch program projects that river temperature will decrease slightly but still remain at levels near daily historic maximums.

– NewsKamloops.com (http://www.newskamloops.com/home)

Top Stories (http://www.castanet.net/)
Report a Typo (http://www.castanet.net/contactus/report_typo.php?story=174118)

wideopenthrottle
08-24-2016, 09:17 AM
um are those DFO peeps catching and counting fish ...please tell me they are not poachers?

Big Lew
08-24-2016, 11:35 AM
When driving through Whonnock yesterday I saw 2 gillnetters drifting together
so they could span the river with their nets....hopefully they were also involved
in the counting etc. (I know a family friend is/was involved in the counts with his
boat and nets)

adriaticum
08-24-2016, 12:02 PM
I may have to go into voluntary, temporary vegetarianism this year.

ElectricDyck
08-29-2016, 07:56 PM
Its too bad the government suppoorts fish farms in migratory paths when there is so much evidence of disease tranfer..I guess they prefer farmed to wild?

drakfero
08-30-2016, 06:35 AM
How did they reduce commercial fishing this year?
Why do we plant atlantic salmon when pacific salmon is on historic low?

government , government , government..

Xenomorph
08-30-2016, 07:23 AM

Put words on paper and mail, or email, or call. Cristhy cares about votes almost as much as the big business. If one unbalances the other and jeopardizes her position she'll be ruthless. But she needs to KNOW it's messed up and needing revamp.

Call, email, bug your MLA.

Skip a beer in camp and leave a voicemail, write a letter. Then another one.

MichelD
08-30-2016, 09:18 AM

They did not have any openings for commercial fishing of Fraser River sockeye.

Whonnock Boy
08-30-2016, 09:28 AM
This has nothing to do with provincial politics, as salmon fall under federal jurisdiction. Write your MP and Prime Minister, but you do have the right idea.

Put words on paper and mail, or email, or call. Cristhy cares about votes almost as much as the big business. If one unbalances the other and jeopardizes her position she'll be ruthless. But she needs to KNOW it's messed up and needing revamp.

Call, email, bug your MLA.

Skip a beer in camp and leave a voicemail, write a letter. Then another one.

08-30-2016, 09:36 AM
The Federal Gov along with support of our BC Gov is in full support of The a Fish Farm a Industry and seeing our wild fish tank even further. The management of this fishery has been truly sad to see. Unless something is done and soon, our kids, and grandkids will not be fishing Wild Pacific Salmon.

If if it were not for Alaska, Washington, Oregon and to some degree California, a lot of our West a Coast fishery would be gone.

Shame shame on those that keep passing the buck. The growth of the fish farm industry and the damage it has done to our Wild stocks, and the surrounding environment has become the norm. IMO.

get it while YA can folks, this is all about large corporate greed and nothing more.

wideopenthrottle
08-30-2016, 10:10 AM
http://planetsave.com/2014/07/02/ocean-fertilization-dangerous-experiment-gone-right/

maybe we need another one of these rogue experiments...

Rob Chipman
08-30-2016, 10:37 AM
"The Federal Gov along with support of our BC Gov is in full support of The a Fish Farm a Industry..." I think Curlytop is correct on this.

The recent Cohen Commission report was, according to the FEds, *100% adopted and accepted* by the Feds.

Um, except where is wasn't, including that part where the Cohen Commission said the DFO should not consider promoting fish farms as part of it's mandate.

The Cohen Commission (I believe, correct em if I'm wrong) had the crazy idea that the DFO should just regulate fish farms subject to scientific findings.

The DFO thinks it should regulate and promote, but apparently don't see any conflict or problem.

Of course, if science and $$$$ come into conflict, who's gonna win?

In this case, as can often be the case, government is a big part of the problem.

curt
08-30-2016, 08:54 PM
you would think we would learn from our mistakes (east coast cod fishery) but oh no we just keep doing the same stupid shit thats why not only or we ignorant as a race but fu**ing stupid too!!

wideopenthrottle
08-30-2016, 10:29 PM
anyone got a good jellyfish recipe....:frown::frown::frown:

Salty
08-31-2016, 03:29 PM
They were saying the same thing about pt alberni chinook until they started coming in gangbusters the other day. Here's hoping the Fraser still sees decent numbers. Really frickin warm water out there this year, look up "the blob" a big stubborn patch of water around 70 degrees off our coast. That can kill fish, or scatter them to weird places hopefully.

russm
08-31-2016, 04:04 PM
Stop farming chum and spend the money on farming sockeye.

44inchStone
09-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Even if the Fraser get a half arsed return, the fish will soon be stopped by many many staggard nets that we see every year. The species never has a chance! I'm tired of driving up logging roads only to see thousands of unsold fish just laying there wasted. And yes it is always reported but nothing ever done.
If you think the fish returns are bad now, give it 10 years. Our children and grand children will be buying farmed in the supermarket!

bandit
09-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Its too bad the government suppoorts fish farms in migratory paths when there is so much evidence of disease tranfer..I guess they prefer farmed to wild?

How many salmon die because of fish farms compared to natural predation from seals etc? A lot of evidence suggests seal populations are much higher compared to 20 years ago. But I guess they are cute so we should leave them to multiply....

Surrey Boy
09-03-2016, 11:00 PM
How many salmon die because of fish farms compared to natural predation from seals etc? A lot of evidence suggests seal populations are much higher compared to 20 years ago. But I guess they are cute so we should leave them to multiply....

Seal meat is quite nutritious, and even though it has a distinct taste, it's a very consumable product. Asia would be very pleased to buy it from us if we had the good sense to sell it. Sealskin jackets, seal meat, seal the deal!

Xenomorph
09-03-2016, 11:28 PM
Seal meat is quite nutritious, and even though it has a distinct taste, it's a very consumable product. Asia would be very pleased to buy it from us if we had the good sense to sell it. Sealskin jackets, seal meat, seal the deal!

Seal skin makes for some wicked smooth arrow shelves on old trad bows. Just saying!

Surrey Boy
09-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Seal skin makes for some wicked smooth arrow shelves on old trad bows. Just saying!

The only thing holding Canadians back is our inept government.

SPCA is nothing but a terrorizing hate group.

.264winmag
09-04-2016, 05:05 AM
They were saying the same thing about pt alberni chinook until they started coming in gangbusters the other day. Here's hoping the Fraser still sees decent numbers. Really frickin warm water out there this year, look up "the blob" a big stubborn patch of water around 70 degrees off our coast. That can kill fish, or scatter them to weird places hopefully.

Didn't you hear there's no fish this year?
Left Tahsis yesterday, rivers were good and swollen with plenty of salmon in em...

IronNoggin
09-05-2016, 05:37 PM
They were saying the same thing about pt alberni chinook until they started coming in gangbusters the other day. ...

"Gangbusters"???

As of September 1, there have only been 1,826 chinook in the "escapement" count (those that make the river instead of someone's plate). Catch estimate runs just over 11,500 and efforts to nuke those that do show up continue (FN and gillnet operations scheduled and notably increasing following this weekend's derby). Same old same old. Hammer the hell out of them, and then wonder just why the numbers needed for sustainability simply aren't there... :roll:

Run already downgraded to 60,000. Mark my words, there is NO WAY IN HELL that is even close to what we will realize in the end.
Total Incompetence once again... :mad:

Pissed,
Nog

rides bike to work
09-05-2016, 06:42 PM
I hope a movement is started. We should pick a day and everyone leave a pike minnow on the door step of the local dfo. Something needs to be done

Xenomorph
09-06-2016, 08:42 AM
"Gangbusters"???

As of September 1, there have only been 1,826 chinook in the "escapement" count (those that make the river instead of someone's plate). Catch estimate runs just over 11,500 and efforts to nuke those that do show up continue (FN and gillnet operations scheduled and notably increasing following this weekend's derby). Same old same old. Hammer the hell out of them, and then wonder just why the numbers needed for sustainability simply aren't there... :roll:

Run already downgraded to 60,000. Mark my words, there is NO WAY IN HELL that is even close to what we will realize in the end.
Total Incompetence once again... :mad:

Pissed,
Nog

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about this my friend :)
Pretty sad state of affairs if it got to this point and nothing substantial is planned/being done.