PDA

View Full Version : Meat Grinders?

ajr5406
08-24-2016, 08:31 AM
I have a few Cabela's gift cards and would like to buy a meat grinder. They range from $100 up to the commercial grade ones in the thousands. Im looking to use it basically for a deer or two per year, and maybe some other light use thought the year - certainly not weekly use though. If I get something bigger down the track (moose or elk), I would it to be able to put through more meat in one go.

Can you guys recommend one?

I dont need anything too fancy, but I dont want a piece of junk either. I would consider spending $200-$250 at a guess.

Thanks!

brian
08-24-2016, 08:56 AM
I got the Cabelas 3/4 HP grinder. It is very solidly built but above your price range. I was not overly impressed with what I saw in the cheaper low end grinders. It works fantastic, it goes through everything I have thrown at it easily. So far we have put two deer (one made into sausage) and a domestic ram through it and all went well. It is nice and heavy which is a good sign in tools like these. I bought it last season in late October (after getting a deer) and a few weeks later in November it went on a massive sale, $100 off list price.

KURUSO16
08-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Remember you sometimes get what you pay for. I think to stay within budget you may want to consider used. I understand the giftcard situation. Check out stuffers in langley they start at 400$. I was able to find a lem #5 new condition on craigslist for 120$ some guy was selling off his fathers estate. Before the lem I had a cheep machine and it was so frustrating not just how long it took but the quality of the meat. Grinding is something you want to do fast to avoid heat buildup. The better machines can handle a longer more intense duty cycle without burning out the motor. With a lesser quality or lighter duty you will end up over working it or be forced to wait for the machine to cool down thus adding time to the grinding process. More time = longer meat sits on table waiting to be ground=more heat.

Just my 2 pennies

Sitkaspruce
08-24-2016, 07:11 PM
I had a Warring Pro for years and it did ok, but it took a long time to do a moose or deer. The biggest problems with the smaller ones is you need to cut the meat small to get into the neck opening and you cannot have ANY sinew or silver skin or it will bind up the blade.

We bought a Cabelas 1hp and have never looked back. We grind elk/deer/moose, along with fish, turkey and chicken and we use the stuffer attachments for pepperoni and sausage. The neck is #22, which means less cutting and it goes through the meat with no problems.

I believe that they are now $549 all the time. That is a great price for a great grinder!!

Cheers

SS

srupp
08-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Hmm was just in the new Cabelas in Abbotsford...shyte store..

HOWEVER..they did have some great prices on grinders..I have had the Cabelas..1 3/4 h.p. awesome...1 is the lowest power I would recommend. .the Cabelas units are primo.mine uses #42....literally one to man the ground.one to feed the hopper one to grind. ..

The power ensures that heat doesn't build up in the process...bad..for quality of product..
Buy once.....cry once....lol..
Cheers
Steven

Beaverhunter
08-24-2016, 09:27 PM
I have had smaller cheaper grinders in the past and like the above said you get what you pay for. I just recently purchased a 1 hp from Cabela's it was on sale for the same price as the 3/4hp have only used it a couple of times but am very impressed. It will go through 10 pounds in under a minute and the motor does not bog gown at all. Also if you put all the parts in the freezer the night before combined with the ice pac they have that goes around the throat heat is no issue at all.

ajr5406
08-25-2016, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys

SR80
08-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Also have a cabelas 3/4 hp. You cant feed that thing meat fast enough, the sound of the motor doesnt change at all when your stuffing that thing full. Ive had it for about 4 years now, and its been great.

srupp
08-26-2016, 12:14 PM
I have had smaller cheaper grinders in the past and like the above said you get what you pay for. I just recently purchased a 1 hp from Cabela's it was on sale for the same price as the 3/4hp have only used it a couple of times but am very impressed. It will go through 10 pounds in under a minute and the motor does not bog gown at all. Also if you put all the parts in the freezer the night before combined with the ice pac they have that goes around the throat heat is no issue at all.

Putting the auger, the blade, the plate the retaining ring in the freezer overnight will help.
Plus keep each plate and knifes together forever..they wear and mate making for a better grind .

I saw the gel packs may try them for my grinder..
Steven

Pemby_mess
08-29-2016, 12:01 AM
I've been using an attachment on my wife's fancy kitchen Aid mixer. Works awesome, as long as you trim the larger pieces of silver skin. The mixer itself is the biggest one KA makes (675W) so that probably helps, but I've been really impressed by it. I use it to make the dog food too, with smaller bones and cartilage et all.

RackStar
08-29-2016, 05:45 AM
check out the flyer for cabelas,
they got one on sale for 99 bucsk... reg 170?
if your only doing 2 deer a year, it willl do the trick, might take a bit longer but same result