PDA

View Full Version : BC moose tracker app

firstshot
08-23-2016, 03:31 PM
New app out there for tracking moose, check it out.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2899000/province-delivers-moose-tracking-smartphone-app/

alcesgigantes
08-23-2016, 05:51 PM
There's more info here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016FLNR0183-001519

Moose63
08-23-2016, 07:08 PM
Why isn't there a wolf tracker app for some balance? Moose don't need this

swampdonkey
08-23-2016, 07:11 PM
http://wolftracker.ca/

ElliotMoose
08-23-2016, 08:50 PM
Who all will have access to the "moose map" ? Pretty cool idea if the information was guaranteed to stay in the right hands.. I personally think a lot of people will shy away from using it due to paranoia of giving up their favourite moose spots

leadpillproductions
08-23-2016, 09:08 PM
My thought also
Who all will have access to the "moose map" ? Pretty cool idea if the information was guaranteed to stay in the right hands.. I personally think a lot of people will shy away from using it due to paranoia of giving up their favourite moose spots

Goose
08-23-2016, 09:34 PM
only for apple, nothing for android?

alcesgigantes
08-23-2016, 11:23 PM
I downloaded the app and it only lets you enter the info at the MU level, nothing more specific. I've heard an android version is in the works.

Stresd
08-24-2016, 06:33 AM
When I saw it was an Itune app my first thought was, They must be F'in joking. I Tune is not seeing the light of day on my Android phone.

MRP
08-24-2016, 06:38 AM
there's an android version i loaded it a month ago and looked at it. if u got a leh, a blurb abought the app was on the letter that came with it.

Salty
08-24-2016, 07:16 AM
The province estimates between 120,000 and 200,000 moose. Wow really gotter nailed down there eh?
That's OK now volunteer recording of moose sightings by whoever wants to enter them on their phones will even further the superior accuracy of their data! Maybe they should link it to Pokemon go and call it a success.

I guess going back to funding and doing the science is a non starter for these clowns. Pixy dust and schmooze the GOABC and everything is just great as far as this 'file' is concerned. Even with an election just around the corner they still don't care.

Stresd
08-24-2016, 01:22 PM
there's an android version i loaded it a month ago and looked at it. if u got a leh, a blurb abought the app was on the letter that came with it.

Pulled the "Attention Moose Hunters" letter that came in my LeH envelope. Says that Moose tracker is a downloadable IOS app. Not a thing about about Android support either now or later.

MRP
08-24-2016, 03:24 PM
Pulled the "Attention Moose Hunters" letter that came in my LeH envelope. Says that Moose tracker is a downloadable IOS app. Not a thing about about Android support either now or later.
Ooooops my bad I had a something different called MyMoose.. Says it was for BC biologist to studying moose?

northof49
08-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Yawn....what a joke

Whonnock Boy
08-24-2016, 06:14 PM
Care to elaborate with constructive criticism?

Yawn....what a joke

northof49
08-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Waste of time...nuf said

Busterpayton54
08-24-2016, 07:31 PM
I agree. What can this possibly accomplish besides piss poor information being used to tally moose counts. Will the software detect if one particular user is essentially spamming the system. How about people who can't tell a moose from a deer. Then the fact it's by region only, well that isn't going to mean diddly squat without a more accurate general location.

Imo this app should be limited to those who have a hunter number to increase the likely hood animals are being identified correctly, and identify anyone who intends to mislead the counts. But then again who wants to tell big brother when and where they recreate. Personally I'm not a fan myself but it may be good information. Edit: by good information, I mean hunter in the woods hours/days vs what they see, and exactly where they see it.

northof49
08-24-2016, 08:19 PM
Exactly BP54......garbage in=garbage out. Unreliable data.

Whonnock Boy
08-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Valid point regarding spammers, however, I believe over time they will be able to nullify unreliable data via mathematical equations like they do with hunter surveys. There will certainly be growing pains, but trying something is better than trying nothing.

I agree. What can this possibly accomplish besides piss poor information being used to tally moose counts. Will the software detect if one particular user is essentially spamming the system. How about people who can't tell a moose from a deer. Then the fact it's by region only, well that isn't going to mean diddly squat without a more accurate general location.

Imo this app should be limited to those who have a hunter number to increase the likely hood animals are being identified correctly, and identify anyone who intends to mislead the counts. But then again who wants to tell big brother when and where they recreate. Personally I'm not a fan myself but it may be good information.

northof49
08-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Same moose is seen in same swamp off hwy by many motorists reporting it over and over during warm summer months and next the conclusion will be that there many moose in that area. Brilliant.

Busterpayton54
08-24-2016, 10:27 PM
Valid point regarding spammers, however, I believe over time they will be able to nullify unreliable data via mathematical equations like they do with hunter surveys. There will certainly be growing pains, but trying something is better than trying nothing.unless you believe the data to be accurate, adjust allotments, only to find out a terrible mistake has been made. obviously there will be some oversite before openings, tags issued would be adjusted, but how? What info would they use to back up the softwares predictions? Trained biologists in the air and on the ground are the most reliable sources imo.. I expect this app will shift focus from data collected by biologists and science, over to Eco tourists who can't tell a moose from range cattle.

Whonnock Boy
08-24-2016, 11:01 PM
I highly doubt that. When I set up the app it asked if it could use available the available gps positioning programs. Conclusions would be easy to find with the data given.

Same moose is seen in same swamp off hwy by many motorists reporting it over and over during warm summer months and next the conclusion will be that there many moose in that area. Brilliant.

I'm going to assume that the data will be compared to the available "feet on the ground" information over time. I agree, trained biologist in the air and on the ground will remain to be the most reliable sources. This will just be another tool available. Like I previously mentioned, there will be growing pains, and obviously time will be needed to calculate all the data, years, if not decades. In addition, the cost of doing fly overs for one management unit ranges from $25-$50,000, whereas the total amount to develop this app was $25,000. IMO, the investment is minute compared to the possible advantages this app provides. With all that said, I understand both of your guys pessimism.

unless you believe the data to be accurate, adjust allotments, only to find out a terrible mistake has been made. obviously there will be some oversite before openings, tags issued would be adjusted, but how? What info would they use to back up the softwares predictions? Trained biologists in the air and on the ground are the most reliable sources imo.. I expect this app will shift focus from data collected by biologists and science, over to Eco tourists who can't tell a moose from range cattle.

Stresd
08-25-2016, 06:49 AM
Hmmmm. Heading in for 2 week moosey hunt in 7 last week Sept, first week Oct. Three Bull tags. Sadly though I know how much every one in our group would love to supply our location and data . (Ya right) We all run Android platforms. Not an Iphone in the group. Wonder who the silly Govt employee was that decided to roll out this system on an IOS App and expect to get a lot of data. Hell of a lot more Androids out there.

Whonnock Boy
08-25-2016, 10:12 AM
I believe they are still working out the kinks.

Hmmmm. Heading in for 2 week moosey hunt in 7 last week Sept, first week Oct. Three Bull tags. Sadly though I know how much every one in our group would love to supply our location and data . (Ya right) We all run Android platforms. Not an Iphone in the group. Wonder who the silly Govt employee was that decided to roll out this system on an IOS App and expect to get a lot of data. Hell of a lot more Androids out there.

Xenomorph
08-25-2016, 11:06 AM
it's all good, moose sightings will fall short to unicorns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkW-EAkClbE

Fella
08-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Horrible app, I drove all over Region 1 and the app didn't show me a single moose!

Xenomorph
08-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Horrible app, I drove all over Region 1 and the app didn't show me a single moose!

Pfffft ...thanks for that man :)

alcesgigantes
10-21-2016, 09:02 AM
Used the app the other day to record my sightings (and a few days with no moose...). It's pretty straightforward. Anyone else using it?

RadHimself
10-21-2016, 10:14 AM
..... "unicorn liv in banff"

"it gonna eat long time before it mows this grass"

Stresd
10-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Used the app the other day to record my sightings (and a few days with no moose...). It's pretty straightforward. Anyone else using it?

Nope. It's apple only (IoS). You would think whoever designed the App would have made it for the operatings system (Android) with the largest market share first. 2 bulls down and at the cutters. Could have recorded another 9 or 10. Ceptin everyone in my groups Phones/Tabs operate on the Android operating system.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-26-2016, 11:37 PM
I love how all the backyard biologists know exactly how and why all the trained (professional) biologists and information technologists fall short in their application of scientific and technological principles. You guys are probably right. You guys are brilliant enough to think about factors like repeat sightings and user data skewing and they must never have thought of that. I'm sure they will drop all efforts to enumerate wildlife as per accepted methodologies and revert entirely to prototype science that is being assessed for potential effectiveness. And you're right, we should totally ignore technology that has the potential to assist our science upon our discovery of how to harness it, which coincidentally is only possible through R&D and field testing, which they are trying. We should stay dinosaurs in a changing world. Hey it worked 40 years ago, it must be the best we can do today, right?

todbartell
10-27-2016, 09:33 AM

I've been using it all fall. .08 moose per hour in the field :(

Rotorwash
10-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Nope. It's apple only (IoS). You would think whoever designed the App would have made it for the operatings system (Android) with the largest market share first. 2 bulls down and at the cutters. Could have recorded another 9 or 10. Ceptin everyone in my groups Phones/Tabs operate on the Android operating system.

Its for android as well. I post things but they don't show up. or don't show up immediately.

Stresd
10-27-2016, 05:01 PM
Could you post a link to the Android BC govt Moose app please

The BC Govt App site states Apple compatible with no mention of Android

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/wildlife-health/wildlife-health-matters/moose-health/bc-moose-tracker

The Province developed B.C. Moose Tracker in consultation with the B.C. Wildlife Federation (http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/)and with the financial support of the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation. (http://www.hctf.ca/)
Compatibility: iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch , iOS 7.0 or later.

Rotorwash
10-27-2016, 05:31 PM
My bad. The android app I am using is something called MyMoose... no BCWF involvement at all.
apparently I'm just telling other people where I see moose....

butthead
10-12-2018, 08:54 AM
does it show on the map where the moose are spotted??

todbartell
10-12-2018, 09:00 AM
no just MU

2chodi
10-12-2018, 09:21 AM
App is available on iOS and Android: (I have asked gov to update their page liked below that says iOS only)

If you’re planning on heading out moose hunting this fall FLNRORD is asking that you record your observations using the BC Moose Tracker mobile device app.
B.C. Moose Tracker is an official Government of British Columbia app that allows hunters to play an important part in moose conservation and management.
The app lets users upload information on the number, sex and location of moose they encounter in the wild directly to a province-wide database. The data will help the Province monitor moose populations by alerting staff to emerging issues.
The Province developed B.C. Moose Tracker in collaboration with the BC Wildlife Federation and with the financial support of the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation.
You can find out more info here: https://buff.ly/2yiQbVa
Available for Android on the Google Play Store: https://buff.ly/2OEggIm (https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fbuff.ly%2F2OEggIm&h=AT2kaOA6psn94LVW6eJt6QZJ_vbKxpJx-e8eDt6526HK3ZrrEcNrSmGuN9Q0pIye-CdKcV1hoXiYQ9MAnCVWS-rKfYw-rSY3PIr0cHLm2kPXgLMJoAzeW05JzEBRKp0nOpb-W4aM7uIgApOtLaWS5a5cf-p1ypwoo3PR714vISyTdQ3ICm0y8rqZA_EE3RZnkZWaOkvMw4x2 hnRdG6-VFTzE-mK9eP7UqZvwoI1f_hKkhLIVYgzaDgjroVUOKmh5BnO0JxrHHl-jpYEDx28tM9FKc_xJ4CSRCWebVLXdTVLf1KlhvovdPB1MqgXkv MAnXmkHsZtbPBPvQsCdaAtSH1Bcdj92CGnHx7CiD2iHCgjw60m VTVdmOf4GOgsWb7-PWxFjUt8z5e-Yz3TSZ-oBPUI9rahOuJtAptt92-3zP7iV3vPXSWA)
and for Iphone on the iTunes store: https://buff.ly/2yiQcbG

alcesgigantes
10-12-2018, 04:08 PM
I just checked the webpage and the link to the Google Play store is there now.

www.gov.bc.ca/wildlifehealth/moosetracker (http://www.gov.bc.ca/wildlifehealth/moosetracker)