PDA

View Full Version : First Fall Bear (Novice Hunter)

CJ Douglas
08-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Hello All, I know this topic has probably been beaten to death and I've been browsing for quite some time. Anyways, I was curious if anyone has some last minute tips for harvesting a Fall Black Bear. It's my first season (Missed out on Spring Bear unfortunately.) and I was hoping to come home with something. I've put my boots to the ground and burned some rubber in the surrounding area (Currently live in Vernon) made my way out to Sugar Lake Area today and had no luck as far as pre-season scouting is concerned. I find myself coming across scat and various tracks, searching the surrounding area with little success. Are the Bears moving into higher elevations? Is it best to sit on a cut block and wait, or move between a few? Once first light expires, is it still viable searching throughout the day or do they tend to lay low? Tips or tricks to putting a stalk on a Bear? If I do manage to get a Bear down, what kind of time frame am I working with before that meat starts to go? (Weather taken into consideration) I'm Bowhunting. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time. - John

monasheemountainman
08-22-2016, 10:38 PM
Hey John, anywhere in the okanagan holds bears. Look for huckleberries and you will find them. If you are lucky enough to get close and arrow one, skin him right away quarter him put the quarters in a cooler on ice then you have lots of time to get it to the butcher. That's what I would do. Or skin him at home in your garage then put the meat in the deep freeze then you have all the time in the world to get it to the butcher. Don't be mad at yourself if you are not successful right away bow hunting is not easy!

Surrey Boy
08-23-2016, 12:23 AM
Trinity Valley has a few good spots. Power line right of ways are awesome spots to set up blinds.

604redneck
08-23-2016, 03:35 AM
Just don't get stung by a wasp while lining up for a shot.

Fella
08-23-2016, 06:04 AM
What's the temps like right now? If it's hot they might be hunkering down where it's cool. Look at first or last light.

4 point
08-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Saw a big pumpkin head the other day while out deer scouting. He was up high eating berries. Didn't have a care in the world as we watched him until I moved. Bingo he was off on the run.

monasheemountainman
08-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Just don't get stung by a wasp while lining up for a shot.
unless your using someone elses rifle...then you just throw the POS to the ground and run!!

dirtymax
08-23-2016, 05:51 PM
I've seen close to 10 bears so far in my hunting career (2 years) I've never seen any first light . Only saw one of them at dusk and all the rest were between 1030-4. Just proves never take a break during legal hours .
goodluck !