PDA

View Full Version : Soon I will be a first time UTV buyer. Tips?

Gateholio
08-22-2016, 12:31 PM
After lots of looking, I've decided the Honda Pioneer 1000-5 serves my purposes the best. I can use it for general hunting stuff, plow the road and shuttle people around at work. :)

So I hear there is this new registration and I assume the dealer will take care of it for me. I've got the BCWF regular insurance but some say I need more for when joyriding?

How about theft insurance? Not lots of crime around here but every now and then someone's stuff goes missing. I would imagine my big dogs would eat thieves at home but someone had a trailer with 2 atvs on it stolen in town recently. Although a unhooked up trailer sitting in the Legion parking lot overnight is probably a tempting target !

How about a good emergency kit list? What comes in handy ?

this is my first ATV type device. It looks like lots of fun. :)

Salty
08-22-2016, 01:12 PM
extra large beer cooler :idea:

604Stalker
08-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Good tires make the whole world different when your on an atv

Salty
08-22-2016, 01:25 PM
A portable jump start/charger/air compressor unit. A buddy bought one from C T several years back they go on sale for ~100. He hasn't killed his yet and its done a lot of duty. A valuable tool when your a long ways from no where.

Sunzuki
08-22-2016, 02:12 PM
Gonna need a winchie-pooh before the reebs.
When you're stuck up to yer nadds, a winch would serve you best.
Gun rack, front rack, jerry can rack, spot for your chainsaw.
Yes, chainsaw is more priority than beer.
I just purchase a Rhino, and while it's fun, it sure won't go where my
quad will.
Old mans toy for sure.

Boner
08-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Be very careful if you opt for extended warranty. I'm supposed to get back a $1500 rebate for not using my extended warranty, and I've been battling the underwriter since May over it. I get the feeling that they don't want to pay me.

Hank Hunter
08-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Your BCWF insurance will only cover you for the purpose of hunting and fishing, Capri or Got Toys BC offer insurance you can buy online starting at about $100 per year and up from there depending on what you want. If you are plowing get a winch line just for that it will save you from busting your main line.Gun racks and beer cooler are mandatory. You will ask yourself why you didn't get one sooner, lots of fun and great around the acreage.

Frango
08-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Nice choice.Theft insurance is very very expensive. I would go for liability insurance if you plan on using it for anything and I mean anything other than hunting. Treat it like it will get stolen and take the extra precautions ie chain it or even take a wheel off if you plan on being away for a few days. I don't leave mine in a visible place. It will pay off to be over cautious. A very large German Shepherd is my backup. Enjoy .

bcsteve
08-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Nice choice.Theft insurance is very very expensive. I would go for liability insurance if you plan on using it for anything and I mean anything other than hunting. Treat it like it will get stolen and take the extra precautions ie chain it or even take a wheel off if you plan on being away for a few days. I don't leave mine in a visible place. It will pay off to be over cautious. A very large German Shepherd is my backup. Enjoy .
Depends what you call "very, very expensive", I have theft insurance on my Grizzly for $300 a year.

Gateholio
08-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Be very careful if you opt for extended warranty. I'm supposed to get back a $1500 rebate for not using my extended warranty, and I've been battling the underwriter since May over it. I get the feeling that they don't want to pay me.

I looked at the extended warranty and couldn't imagine why I would want it, considering what I know of Hondas good reputation. :)

Gateholio
08-22-2016, 02:47 PM
A portable jump start/charger/air compressor unit. A buddy bought one from C T several years back they go on sale for ~100. He hasn't killed his yet and its done a lot of duty. A valuable tool when your a long ways from no where.

I have one of those things! They sure are handy! :)

swampthing
08-22-2016, 04:06 PM
Depends what you call "very, very expensive", I have theft insurance on my Grizzly for $300 a year.

That's a good price! Care to share your provider. Last time I had theft insurance was probably 10 years back and it was same cost as insuring a truck!

Sunzuki
08-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Stick a GPS on it.
One of them ones you'd stick on yer missus vehicle if'n you thought
she was cheat'n on you.
Track yer rig.

http://http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt225/kamlooky/Rhino/IMG_3790_zpsort5cmbs.jpg (http://s614.photobucket.com/user/kamlooky/media/Rhino/IMG_3790_zpsort5cmbs.jpg.html)

Boner
08-26-2016, 05:47 PM
I looked at the extended warranty and couldn't imagine why I would want it, considering what I know of Hondas good reputation. :)

FWIW I just received my rebate. The guy at the store said I'd get $1500 back. I got $1250. Some things need to be in writing. Especially BS from salesmen.

300H&H
08-26-2016, 06:00 PM
Helmet !!!

wideopenthrottle
08-26-2016, 08:22 PM
http://bigshotsbc.ca/showthread.php?14164-Stolen-General&p=244318#post244318

this guy wishes he had a gps on his