PDA

View Full Version : Help for an old dog

panhead
08-22-2016, 08:39 AM
As I already screwed up my winning group hunt appplication and am the only one allowed to shoot I thought I had better ask about the new reg in region 5-12 requiring all moose taken to be compulsory inspected. I E-mailed the F&G Dept. but got no reply. No luck on the phone either. The regs seem to state that I just have to submit a tooth and the antlers attached to the skull plate within 30 days of the kill. Does this mean I can still get it butchered up north and bring it home in little brown packages? Thanx in advance fellow killers ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even cowboys can’t stay in the saddle forever.

Skull Hunter
08-22-2016, 09:12 AM
Butchers might not take the meat until all the paper work is complete. Might want to give the butchers a call. Also have a look at where the CI stations are in the region you are hunting. There might be one close by. It doesn't take long for a Moose to be CI'd, maybe 15 minutes and you'll have all your ducks in a row.

Pacemaker
08-22-2016, 09:52 AM
All that you have to do is follow the rules surrounding the CI for moose in your area. In order to be properly CI'd for moose, you must present to an Inspector an incisor tooth and the antlers still attached to the skull plate within 30 days. You can still have the animal butchered at a LICENSED meat cutter and transported back home afterwards, as long as you have your paperwork from the meat cutter. No problem. Good luck on your hunt.

panhead
08-22-2016, 10:41 AM
All that you have to do is follow the rules surrounding the CI for moose in your area. In order to be properly CI'd for moose, you must present to an Inspector an incisor tooth and the antlers still attached to the skull plate within 30 days. You can still have the animal butchered at a LICENSED meat cutter and transported back home afterwards, as long as you have your paperwork from the meat cutter. No problem. Good luck on your hunt.

As it is about 200 miles to the inspector I wish to have the meat butchered BEFORE being inspected. ????
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There’s many a good tune left on an old fiddle

digger dogger
08-22-2016, 10:48 AM
^^^^
As long as you have ur receipt, from a LICENCED butcher, you can get it butchered, and go home.
Bring in all CI requirements, within 30 days.
Kill moose, go to butcher, go home, put meat in freezer, go to inspection, within 30 days of kill.

j270wsm
08-22-2016, 07:46 PM

are you implying that you have to use a lisenced butcher??? You CAN butcher it YOURSELF!! Then, as others have said, take the antlers/skull plate and tooth to be inspected.

ncurrie
08-22-2016, 09:51 PM
From my understanding on pg 20 of the regs are if you are transporting a animal to home you have to have proof of what is in the back of your truck example proof of sex and species, once at home you can butcher it yourself and send off requirements to inspector . But You have to take it to a licensed butcher and have it package and froze with proper documentation for travel and send out what ever is required ( tooth and antler skull) to the inspector, taking it to camp and butchering it and wrapping it your self does not constitute as your home. I would not take J270wsm advice at all.

digger dogger
08-23-2016, 07:02 AM
From my understanding on pg 20 of the regs are if you are transporting a animal to home you have to have proof of what is in the back of your truck example proof of sex and species, once at home you can butcher it yourself and send off requirements to inspector . But You have to take it to a licensed butcher and have it package and froze with proper documentation for travel and send out what ever is required ( tooth and antler skull) to the inspector, taking it to camp and butchering it and wrapping it your self does not constitute as your home. I would not take J270wsm advice at all.

NC, is correct!!!
No self butchering, until you get to ur home.
Not a buddies home, ur own dwelling.

j270wsm
08-26-2016, 09:54 AM
NC, is correct!!!
No self butchering, until you get to ur home.
Not a buddies home, ur own dwelling.

Called the regional office in pentiction and talked to a conservation officer( mike ) today about this. He told me " once the animal has been compulsory inspected you are legally allowed to remove evidence of sex and species, and then butcher the animal yourself before transporting. He said it didn't matter where you butchered the animal( said you could do it while still in camp ) and that it does not have to be butchered by a licensed butcher "

The hunting synopsis do not specify anything about your primary dwelling when referring to the butchering process, nor do they specify that you must take your animal to a licensed butcher.

levind
08-26-2016, 11:29 AM
Called the regional office in pentiction and talked to a conservation officer( mike ) today about this. He told me " once the animal has been compulsory inspected you are legally allowed to remove evidence of sex and species, and then butcher the animal yourself before transporting. He said it didn't matter where you butchered the animal( said you could do it while still in camp ) and that it does not have to be butchered by a licensed butcher "

The hunting synopsis do not specify anything about your primary dwelling when referring to the butchering process, nor do they specify that you must take your animal to a licensed butcher.

But only if the bold text above is done first. Evidence of sex and species is needed till you get home or taken to a licensed butcher.

j270wsm
08-26-2016, 12:42 PM
No, read the regs where it explains removal of specie/sex identification on page 20

ncurrie
08-26-2016, 02:16 PM
^^^^
As long as you have ur receipt, from a LICENCED butch, you can get it butchered, and go home.
Bring in all CI requirements, within 30 days.
Kill moose, go to butcher, go home, put meat in freezer, go to inspection, within 30 days of kill.

If you are going to have your moose inspected before you leave your camp then you are allowed to legally remove evidence of sex, but as stated on pg 20 on "removing evidence of sex and species" you are not allowed until you return to your main dwelling unless taking it to a licensed butcher. Some people still need to learn to read. I still would advise not taking J270wsm advice period.

j270wsm
08-26-2016, 02:39 PM
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss279/j270wsm/image_zpsaloznfs0.png (http://s583.photobucket.com/user/j270wsm/media/image_zpsaloznfs0.png.html)

Your right.....some people need to learn to read!!!!!

Read the last line above the word NOTE. Looks to me like it says you can remove he evidence of sex/specie after it has been inspected. Same thing the CO told me this morning.

chris
08-26-2016, 03:26 PM
I cleared this up with a CO a couple years back because I wanted to butcher my deer at my cabin. He said I could go to the local office with whatever legal animal I harvest and they would print me a letter so that I could cut it before reaching my primary residence. This isn't just for compulsory inspected animals but any animal. He said even though I have a cabin it is not my primary residence and I am not allowed to cut meat there and transport it home without them seeing the animal first.

j270wsm
08-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Yes, I am only referring to animals that must have a compulsory inspection.

Rob Chipman
08-26-2016, 06:44 PM
A CO may say you can't butcher it in camp, or at a place other than your primary residence, and the actual law (as opposed to the regs we're looking at) may back them up, but I don't think the regs actually say anything on page 20 about a restriction on butchering somewhere other than your primary residence.

I think that if I shoot a moose, retain the antlers(see middle column of page 20, top, (1)(a)(i) as reference), and my license and tag, I'm good to go.

Not that the OP was asking that, but I think that's what page 20 actually says. Or, to put it another way, you have to retain evidence of sex and species until the meat hits the freezer, hits a licensed game cutter or hits a CI.

boxhitch
08-26-2016, 06:54 PM
So whats the difference between butchering and cutting a critter into 20 or 30 chunks by completely deboning in the field?
Same rules apply. Better have Evidence of sex while transporting anywhere anytime.
No one can dictate that you have to use a butcher.

ncurrie
08-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Evidently I'm the one who needs to learn to read (insert eye roll here) j270wsm feels he is right here(shocker). I will restate what I already have read from the regs. Unless you have a inspector come to your camp and inspect your animal, you have keep all evidence of sex and species attached to animal (so no butchering) until you get it to your primary residence or to a butcher shop then send off required things to the inspector. But hey feel free to take J270wsm advice, I am not the type to say "I told you so" when co pulls you over asking you to prove what you are transporting.

Rob Chipman
08-26-2016, 07:40 PM
"you have keep all evidence of sex and species attached to animal (so no butchering)"

I don't think the regs say that. I think they say:

Anyone who possesses or transports the carcass or part of the carcass of the following animals must leave naturally attached to the carcass or one part of the carcass in the person’s possession the following listed parts

1)For elk and moose:
(a)If the animal is male, either

(i)that portion of the head which

bears the antlers, OR

(ii)both a testicle or part of the penis,

AND the animal’s tail or another

readily identifiable part of the hide

not less than 6 cm

and then later:

Transporting Wildlife

All persons who possess, transport or shipwildlife meat or parts of wildlife within the Province of British Columbia must have with them the species licence under which the animal was taken by that person...

So help me out: if I possess or transport a part of a carcass (say, a rump roast) AND I have the antlers naturally attached to the portion of the head that bears the antlers AND I've got a licence and tag, where exactly did I break a rule according to the regs?

Like I say, a CO may not agree, and he might be right because the law (as opposed to the regs we're reading) might say something else, but based on the regs I think you can butcher at the ranch.

ncurrie
08-26-2016, 08:01 PM
I answered the original question. He can not shoot a moose take it back to camp, process it at camp, ship off what ever is required to inspector. He A) has to have a inspector come to camp and inspect it, then he can butcher it with and transport with proper documentation B) take it to a licensed butcher and send off required stuff to inspector then transport it or D) if he wants to process animal himself, he needs to leave evidence of sex and species on animal, go home process animal send of requirements to inspector. Once it's at home and he wants to take steaks roasts what ever to where ever he can do that because he took to his main dwelling first. If these steps that are stated in regs are not followed how is anyone suppose to prove what they are transporting. Last time I checked, co's don't just take your word for it.

panhead
08-26-2016, 08:05 PM
What I want to do is ... hopefully shoot a table moose and have it cut up at the local store up north (and pay for it) then drop off the tooth and antlers on the way home. Sounds reasonable to me but this is the first year for CI. Just trying to play it safe and follow the rules ... been through my fair share of roadblocks ... always seem to get nicked for something ... cracked windshield if nothing else ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you get too old to skim the cream, you’d best be taking the milk

Downwind
08-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Yes, I am only referring to animals that must have a compulsory inspection.

But that is not what the OP is asking. He is asking if he can take it to a butcher and then get it CI'd. He did not ask about getting it CI'd and then butchering. Your statements are confusing the situation. Yes you can get the game animal butchered by a licensed butcher before getting it CI'd. You will need your receipt from the butcher, if you get pulled over at a game check.

j270wsm
08-26-2016, 09:43 PM
First off, for compulsory inspection, you'd don't send anything away. You take the tooth and antlers/horns/hide( g bears ) to the inspector where they then take the incisor tooth, a few measurements, use a jig, count growth rings, number of points,use a map and get a rough location where the animal was taken, etc. This info along with your hunting license/tag number, specie and sex are all documented and sent off to the ministry, you are also give a copy as well.
There are tons of certified inspectors through out the province and you can have one close to where you live do the inspection. There is nothing saying that you must have it inspected in the region where the animal was harvested.

You do NOT have to have it inspected before you can transport or have the animal processed. Remember you have between 14-30 days, depending on specie, to have the animal inspected.

markomoose
08-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Shoot it-cut it-wrap it and leave it at gcreeks place?He says you owe him big time?lol

j270wsm
08-26-2016, 10:20 PM
Evidently I'm the one who needs to learn to read (insert eye roll here) j270wsm feels he is right here(shocker). I will restate what I already have read from the regs. Unless you have a inspector come to your camp and inspect your animal, you have keep all evidence of sex and species attached to animal (so no butchering) until you get it to your primary residence or to a butcher shop then send off required things to the inspector. But hey feel free to take J270wsm advice, I am not the type to say "I told you so" when co pulls you over asking you to prove what you are transporting.

Never once in this thread did I say that you can remove evidence of sex before meeting the criteria outlined in the hunting synopsis. I simply stated what the synopsis says.

as long as you take the animal to,
1) the primary dwelling where it will be consumed
2) a butcher
3) the owner or operator of a cold meat storage plant
4) a qualified compulsory inspector

As long as you meet ONE of the 4 items listed above then, according to the synopsis and the CO I spoke to, you can legally remove the evidence of sex/specie.

ncurrie
08-27-2016, 06:33 AM
Never once in this thread did I say that you can remove evidence of sex before meeting the criteria outlined in the hunting synopsis. I simply stated what the synopsis says.

as long as you take the animal to,
1) the primary dwelling where it will be consumed
2) a butcher
3) the owner or operator of a cold meat storage plant
4) a qualified compulsory inspector

As long as you meet ONE of the 4 items listed above then, according to the synopsis and the CO I spoke to, you can legally remove the evidence of sex/specie.

hhhhhhmmmm. Sounds like what I have said already in several posts in this thread already.

digger dogger
08-27-2016, 07:30 AM
It's not rocket science, why split hairs.
Follow, mrs currie's advice, and youll be good.
Have fun:-)

j270wsm
08-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Digger dogger.......

your correct, it's not rocket science. If people read the synopsis and actually digest what their reading, they will see that it clearly says that you CAN remove the evidence of sex/species once you have the animal inspected by a certified inspector.

ncurrie.....if you re read post 12, and 18 you will see that you have posted different things in both posts.
In one post you start out saying that the evidence of sex/species can be removed after inspection then turn around and say you can't until your at your primary dwelling.

ncurrie
08-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Joe, this will be the last I post about this. I have given the same info out each time of when it is appropriate to remove sex and species evidence. I am sorry you don't understand the rules, but I am not wasting any more of my time, everyone seems to understand them except you. You are not worth me wasting my time on.

gcreek
08-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Shoot it-cut it-wrap it and leave it at gcreeks place?He says you owe him big time?lol

Ol' panhead sounds like he wants me to do all the grunt work and send him a full freezer. Poor ol' feller, retirement must be worse than I thought.........

digger dogger
08-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Digger dogger.......

your correct, it's not rocket science. If people read the synopsis and actually digest what their reading, they will see that it clearly says that you CAN remove the evidence of sex/species once you have the animal inspected by a certified inspector.

ncurrie.....if you re read post 12, and 18 you will see that you have posted different things in both posts.
In one post you start out saying that the evidence of sex/species can be removed after inspection then turn around and say you can't until your at your primary dwelling.

Ummm, you are stating the obvious.
Obviously if a C.O, or a inspector, came into your camp & inspected ur animal.
Cut it up where you are.
I doubt that happens very often.
All done here��

panhead
08-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Ol' panhead sounds like he wants me to do all the grunt work and send him a full freezer. Poor ol' feller, retirement must be worse than I thought.........

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.................... but I can see the bottom of my freezer in spots ... where there are no frozen blackberries awaiting their turn to be made into wine ....

:razz:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Us old foxes is trap-shy; especially when the bait comes looking for us ...