PDA

View Full Version : Buying Binos

ekul246
08-21-2016, 06:06 PM
Considering getting a pair of Vortex Diamondback Binoculars. I have a compact Bushnell 12x-36x spotter that I use a lot. I use them close range (which is how I saw the spikes on my mulie last fall) but am wanting binos for closer range and so I don't always have to carry my spotter on tripod (cheap one from London drugs) everytime I hike up a road or cut.

Considering the magnification of my spotter, which should I get? 8x42 or 10x42? What do you guys use or prefer? Other magnification suggestions welcome.

Looking at these ones because they are on sale at Cabela's right now.

Thanks for the input

ekul246

ajr5406
08-21-2016, 06:12 PM
I got 10x42 diamondbacks and I'm very happy with them. Don't have much to compare them too but I think they are great for the price point.

last light
08-21-2016, 06:29 PM
The reviews on Cabela's web site have pretty good ratings from what I remember. I almost bought them myself except I think I'm going to hold out for some 10x50's for lower light conditions like dawn and dusk.

Sportster
08-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Check out Scorpion opticts ! For 300 bucks they are exceptional binos for the price.I've compared them head to head with other binos like Prostaff the diamondbacks and the scorpions clearer. Sting free warranty , which means you brake them, hand them back to the dealer and they give you a new par .Know questions asked. And the warranties are transferable. Mine are 10x42.

Weatherby Fan
08-21-2016, 07:00 PM
I would stick to a 10x42, I own Leica 10x42 and Meopta HD 8x42 and have compared them to several brands inc Zeiss Conquest HD, Zeiss TFL, Leica Trinovid and HD Models, Minox HG, Kahles in both powers and I prefer the 10x42 every time.

Brno22F
08-21-2016, 07:26 PM
My son has Bushnell Elite 10x42 and I have Leupold Mojave 10x42. Both excellent binos.
Also looked at Zeiss, Vortex and Bushnell when I bought the Leupolds. For my eyes, the Leupold binos were best. My second choice would have been the Bushnell Elite.

ekul246
08-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all the input!

itsy bitsy xj
08-24-2016, 08:42 AM
I have Zeiss 10x42 and love them

brian
08-24-2016, 09:26 AM
Which magnification is best for you depends where you hunt and how stable you are with the binoculars. 10x will show your natural jitters a bit more than 8x and 8x should be a tad bit better in low light given everything else being the same. If you hunt a lot of open ground then the higher magnification will be a benefit despite its draw backs. If you hunt thicker brush then lower magnification will do the job fine without the draw backs of higher magnification. I used to hunt with vortex viper 6x40 binoculars in the thick stuff and loved them... until I lost them in the bush (fuuuuuuuu*k!!!!!). In a very uncharacteristic move for me I just picked up some cheap 8x32mm binos off of amazon.ca (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01EP5N872/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1472055527&sr=1&keywords=binoculars) and have actually been very impressed with them so far. Very compact, clear and well built for the price... I have no doubt that they will suffer a bit in low light but so did my scope compared to the vortex so it evens out. I don't know about their durability, but they come with a lifetime guarantee. The best part is I can loose them and not feel heart broken about it afterward. But my recommendation comes with the caveat that I hunt thick stuff so I don't need atom splitting detail when picking apart the brush 30-50 yards ahead of me.