PDA

View Full Version : Sheep boot insole

bruin
06-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey guys, I have been hiking in a pair of Miendles for the last couple of weeks training for sheep season. I found that the Miendle insoles are a bit hard on the feet for an all day hike with a pack on rock. I bought a pair of "Sole" insoles that bake in the oven and are suppose to form to your feet. I have formed them four times now adn they are still too thick and cause blisters on my heels. Has anyone had any experience with a thin, comfortable insole? Thanks

mark
06-20-2007, 06:20 PM
I found the same thing with the Miendles, I just bought a pair of dakota insoles for $15 they feel pretty good!

Deaddog
06-20-2007, 08:37 PM
you might want to try a thicker, high quality sock vs the insoles or doubling up on your socks, I have used meindls for years with no problems

Stone Sheep Steve
06-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Maybe try one of the "Superfeet" insoles. I don't know if they're suitable for hiking but I use them in my work shoes. They come in various thicknesses. Worth a looksee.

SSS

bigwhiteys
06-20-2007, 09:07 PM
I tried the insole you bake in the oven and it didn't work well for me. It was too hard. "Sole" or something it was called? I forget. I also tried a pair from Work Wear World, they were green, jelly like (name escapes me) but they worked well... Deaddogs suggestion of better socks is a good one... I have some Thorlo Level III's that made more of a difference then any of my insoles did. The boots I just bought (HanWags) came with some custom insoles called "High Country Footbeds" they are expensive but are working out really well.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

boxhitch
06-20-2007, 09:47 PM
"High Country Footbeds" ?
Are these a Hanwag product ? soft ? hard? arch support ?

I've had good luck with the Miendl insoles, absorbant so change them out with fresh socks.
Tried a gel sole. too mush movement for my liking.

bigwhiteys
06-20-2007, 09:54 PM
They are made by Lathrop & Sons the company that provides the boots. These are much better then the stock inserts Hanwag put in the boots originally.

High Country Footbed (http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/46)s - Don't choke when you see the price!

Carl

Krico
06-20-2007, 11:53 PM
I added the Superfeet insoles (green ones) to my boots last year. They are fairly thin, very comfortable and a littley pricey-around $35. Worth every penny though for me.

BCrams
06-21-2007, 12:23 AM
I've always worn Superfeet in my boots and those insoles bigwhiteys are talking about definatly warrants a try out!

scoot
06-21-2007, 01:04 AM
I have used meindls for years with no problems

Yah, but not everyone has hoofs for feet Jim. LOL

tuchodi
06-21-2007, 07:37 AM
I have always taken the insole out of all my hiking boots and use an orthotics insert. They are more money but since I started doing that I have never had a problem with any boot I have owened.

Tarp Man
06-21-2007, 11:47 AM
There are different levels of Sole inserts (thick and thin). The problem with a lot of inserts is they raise your foot up off the boot bottom and this raises the point at which you need support, so the boots can feel too short at the ankle. Superfeet insoles have a few different models also. All of these are designed to provide support under the arch of your foot and cradle the bones surrounding the arch and your heel. Make sure if you plan to buy new boots, pick out the boots and insoles together.

Jonathan

bruin
06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I will try and give all a try and see what works.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-25-2007, 09:23 AM
I just picked up a couple of pairs of "Ingenius" hiking socks. Their construction is supposed to allow you to go without a two sock system of a poly liner and a hiking sock. I've only used them on short training hikes but them seem pretty good so far.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
06-25-2007, 10:32 AM
I just picked up a couple of pairs of "Ingenius" hiking socks. Their construction is supposed to allow you to go without a two sock system of a poly liner and a hiking sock. I've only used them on short training hikes but them seem pretty good so far.

SSS

For my money, the nicest sock out there. I used to use poly-pro Helly Hansens, and never got blisters, but often had cold feet. The Ingenius are warm, blister-free, and have more cushion than the Hellys.

I also use an orthotic in my boots. I'm using the "airthotic" ones that came with an older pair of Danners I had. They really help keep my knees from rolling inward. I may look at some custom orthotics for this season...anyone know if that orthotic store is open in Vernon yet (Dr Steve)?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-25-2007, 12:32 PM
For my money, the nicest sock out there. I used to use poly-pro Helly Hansens, and never got blisters, but often had cold feet. The Ingenius are warm, blister-free, and have more cushion than the Hellys.

I also use an orthotic in my boots. I'm using the "airthotic" ones that came with an older pair of Danners I had. They really help keep my knees from rolling inward. I may look at some custom orthotics for this season...anyone know if that orthotic store is open in Vernon yet (Dr Steve)?

There you go.....endorsed by the President of the "Orthotically Challenged Quad Hunters' Association of North America".

If they work for F/D's tootsies, then they will work for you too!!:grin::D:D

SSS

WoodOx
06-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Am I insane if I skimp and just go with my traditional hunting boot?

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/product/hunting+boots/leather+uninsulated/hawk+gtx+-++8%27%27+realtree+hardwoods+green+hd.do

Its got good ankle support and ar comfortable and waterproof. I have been training in them so far, and have yet to get anything close to a rolled ankle etc in steep/unstable terrian.

Troubles I can forsee: theyre heavy and dont have those crazy mofo vibram grips.

Fisher-Dude
06-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Andrew, I see wet feet on a sheep hunt with a cordura/leather mix. I discussed them with a boot maker in northern BC, and he said that as the stitching between the leather and cordura works back and forth, it opens up the weave of the cordura and allows water to drip in along the seams. This is because the cordura doesn't hold a stitch as well as leather, and therefore the stitching moves as you walk. High miles kill them.

His recommendation was an all-leather boot so that the stitching stays secure. I'm still limping around (for SSS's benefit - I knew he would trash me! :???:) with all-leather Danners that are headed into year 7 with dry feet. Keep 'em greasey and you'll stay dry!

PS - here's what SSS wears hunting, as he's always on his TW:

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-52341/Answer/MX-Boots-for-Women.html

WoodOx
06-25-2007, 06:24 PM
I should correct that, as mine are goretex and as such waterproof.

WoodOx
06-25-2007, 06:26 PM
I never knew SSS doubled as a power ranger... I wondered what he did at that winery... mascot??

gollum257
07-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Had a few pair of Meindals they were all like a boat happy when I got them real happy when they were gone.Went & bought a new pair of Danner Canadian guide boots (I think thats what they called them then the Elk hunter) anyway they were a better boot the first day than any of my Meindals ever were if you get a chance try them you won't be sorry you did.Tx.gollum

bruin
07-20-2007, 07:31 PM
What type of hunting were you using them for. SHeep hunting, mulies, elk? and what kind of terrain were you using them in?? Thanks

bigwhiteys
07-20-2007, 07:32 PM
I've got about 150 miles on my Hanwags now and the high country footbeds from Lathrop, no complaints as of yet. The boots show hardly any wear and still feel like new.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

bruin
07-20-2007, 07:35 PM
what style, the gtx?

bigwhiteys
07-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Hanwag Alaska but I went with the trapper top 10" upper instead of the GTX 8" and am glad that I did.

Carl

bruin
07-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Looks and sounds like a good boot. I guess the meindles will have to do for this season as I am leaving tomorrow for a month of sheep hunting. Good luck with your hunt Carl. Maybe this is your year for that old twister.

BCrams
07-20-2007, 10:37 PM
I have been using Hanwag boots for over 10 years and only last year went with the Meindle and was sorely disapointed.

Its back to Hanwag boots for me, nothing beats them and I am sure Bigwhiteys will be more impressed when he tries them out on an actual sheep hunt.

Gnarly
07-21-2007, 02:17 PM
This has been a great thread to follow for a guy wanting to buy a new pair of boots ,I'm not a sheep hunter but thanks guys as your experiences have let me make a better decision. I ordered a pair of the Hanwag Yukon boots and the superfeet green insoles today from Monod Sports in Banff, I was leaning towards the Cabela's meindl perfect's but figured nobody's harder on boots than the sheep and goat crowd .

chucknelson
07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I also use the High Country footbed in the Han Wags. Love em both.