PDA

View Full Version : Tuchodi maps and Riverjet drop off

floden
08-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Hi 4 of us are going up the Tuchodi with Riverjet in a few weeks. Can't wait!

Kevin tells us that he has a few dropoff places in mind but until we get there we won't know if someone else is already in that spot. No biggie , if place A is occupied we will go to place B.

The question is what do you think the best map and level of detail is for this area ? Especially since we don't know exactly where we will be out . Yes we will have a GPS but I still like to have a large map to plan with

Feel free to PM me if you like .....I appreciate all responses

Thanks!

Brambo
08-20-2016, 07:58 PM
He will usually pull his laptop out with google earth and show you the lay of the land. I would take some pics when he does this, so you can refresh your memory on what the lay out looks like. Good luck be safe!

corywilson13
08-20-2016, 11:16 PM
When are you going? We are going sept 2.

264mag
08-21-2016, 09:05 AM
I am taking my two boys, 21 and 23 and my buddy from Sask in on Sept.9th. None of them have ever hunted elk. We have a wall tent for base camp on the river and will be spike camping back in the foothills. 3 of us have cow tags. We are primarily hunting rifle but there will be a crossbow strapped to one of the packs. As one of the guys said it's impossible to know exactly where you will be however Kevin will do his best to get you into a good spot. Looking forward to an epic trip with Riverjet.

floden
08-21-2016, 07:03 PM
We're looking forward to this trip too. It's been a long time coming. We've bought every tag possible! @corywilson13- we go in on the 7 and out on the 17th.

@brambo- great idea on taking those pics. I have to say the Kevin has been excellent to deal with. I'm looking forward to meeting him in person.

There will be 4 of us. Ranging from experienced to newbie. This is a huge trip for us as its way beyond what my dad ever expected when he immigrated here from Italy. Good, solid bonding with a hint of adventure and danger. One loud fart in the tent is going to be a fire breathing grizz by the time we have coffee the next morning!!!

Kevin just emailed me to say to get a map at 1:250000 of the Tuchodi as it will show enough detail for the hunt...

Ok boys.... if you hear bad bugles, and awkward cow calls, be careful before you put up your scope- you found our camp!!!

nap
08-21-2016, 08:12 PM
I am taking my two boys, 21 and 23 and my buddy from Sask in on Sept.9th. None of them have ever hunted elk. We have a wall tent for base camp on the river and will be spike camping back in the foothills. 3 of us have cow tags. We are primarily hunting rifle but there will be a crossbow strapped to one of the packs. As one of the guys said it's impossible to know exactly where you will be however Kevin will do his best to get you into a good spot. Looking forward to an epic trip with Riverjet.

We will be leaving Kledo creek shortly after first light, hope to see you there.

dereke
08-23-2016, 08:02 AM

When they released the LEH info this spring and I viewed the map it looked as though the Tuchodi River Valley was not included in the LEH area which is why we didn't put in for cow draws. Subsequently when the 2016-2018 regs were released the also removed 7-50 from having a GOS for cow elk so I am taking it as cows are now closed to be taken from the Tuchodi River Valley. It looks as though it is more south towards The Prophet? Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it looked to me. We are going up on the 11th-21st. It was pretty confusing considering it was labelled "Tuchodi cow elk". Not to derail your thread, hopefully for you guys you are correct!

EDIT; Just double checked and it definitely looks like the area is more South of the Tuchodi Valley butting up against the Muskwa South to The Prophet (border of 7-42 & 7-50), maybe someone else with more knowledge than me can clarify?

264mag
08-23-2016, 09:46 PM
The leh letter clearly states "MU-7-50 and the Northern portion of 7-42". I will be calling them tomorrow just to clarify.

dereke
08-23-2016, 10:00 PM
You would hope you are correct considering how it is labeled. Oh well good for you guys, we are just going to have to work our a$$es of to get bulls! Have a great trip!

264mag
08-24-2016, 12:44 PM
It took 3 calls and 3 government employees to confirm that yes indeed this draw does include all of 7-50 and part of 7-42. This replaces the Tuchodi GOS antlerless elk draw.

corywilson13
08-24-2016, 11:09 PM
The three of us read the regs correctly and all came out with cow draws as well. Have a good hunt. If you still need maps call Corey at mcelhanney in FSJ. Tell him you talked to me and are looking for tuchodi maps. I worked with him to put our package together.

floden
08-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks coreywilson13. Lots of great info guys much appreciated

srupp
08-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Kevin..is knowledgeable, hardworking, safe, reliable, but not much of a talker...listen to every word he speaks..it all means something important...he knows the land and the game...and as a transporter business. ...where to drop you off and why..

Good luck straight shooting...never any guarantees in life but honest hardworking guys like Kevin make it easier...much easier.
Cheers
Srupp

eric
08-26-2016, 08:29 PM
^^^^^^^^.. Good to hear...