PDA

View Full Version : Who is using the Alps Commander X Pack?

whitlers
08-19-2016, 11:35 AM
I am in the market for my first big pack. I would love a Stone Glacier or a Kuiu but I can't afford them for a few seasons.

I know a few of you use the Edit: Alps Commander Frame + Pack I was wondering if some of you can chime in with your experiences. Pros and cons.

Also I was told I would want something in the 6000ci size for a 2-3 night trip. This pack comes in around 4000ci? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Will also take other suggestions!

Travalanche
08-19-2016, 11:38 AM
I just picked one up off Amazon this summer. Haven't used it for hunting yet but have done a couple overnight hikes and am very pleased with it for the price. Seems solid, haven't had any issues and it has more than enough adjustments to make it fit me comfortably. I'm pleased so far but haven't pushed it to it's limits yet. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again after my experiences with it so far.

Travalanche
08-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Now I'm not actually sure if I got the same commander you are talking about....I got this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/ALPS-OutdoorZ-3600018-Commander-Freighter/dp/B004R7L7YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471632003&sr=8-1&keywords=alps+outdoorz+commander

whitlers
08-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Thats the one!

Can't beat the price if it holds up for a few seasons.

Thanks for the reply.

whitlers
08-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Sorry I made a mistake originally. That is the pack. The commander + pack not the commander x. Although I am interested in both.

The commander + pack is also bigger at 5250 ci which is nice.

Wentrot
08-19-2016, 12:17 PM
I have both. The Commander extreme is leaps and bounds better.

whitlers
08-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Good to know. Is the commander x an internal frame?

RackStar
08-19-2016, 12:29 PM
I'd buy a Alpz over a POS kuiu bag any day. Those guys are good for rain gear and rain gear only.

whitlers
08-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Thanks RackStar.

Any particular experiences?

Travalanche
08-19-2016, 01:15 PM
Thats the one!

Can't beat the price if it holds up for a few seasons.

Thanks for the reply.

I certainly like it so far! I bought it because of all the good reviews on Amazon and I am pleased with what I got, especially for that price. I have no doubt I will get a few years out of it. I really don't have one complaint about it.

Carrollizer
08-19-2016, 01:24 PM
I also just got the commander frame and pack from WSS in Langley on sale for $160. It's on sale till the 28th. At least you can see it first hand before purchase too.
ive already been on a few hikes with it loaded to about 70lbs and it's very comfortable and doesn't feel like it's nearly as heavy as it actually weighs.
I like how you can easily remove the pack to get meat on the frame only. Two trips to get your gear oh well
I emailed ALPS and asked about weight restrictions on it. I was told there isn't any and basically you can load it as heavy as you could carry. Quite sure my legs would give out before the pack does.
I'd recommend it

whitlers
08-19-2016, 01:31 PM
I also just got the commander frame and pack from WSS in Langley on sale for $160. It's on sale till the 28th. At least you can see it first hand before purchase too.
ive already been on a few hikes with it loaded to about 70lbs and it's very comfortable and doesn't feel like it's nearly as heavy as it actually weighs.
I like how you can easily remove the pack to get meat on the frame only. Two trips to get your gear oh well
I emailed ALPS and asked about weight restrictions on it. I was told there isn't any and basically you can load it as heavy as you could carry. Quite sure my legs would give out before the pack does.
I'd recommend it

Thanks for the first hand review! I have tried it on in the store just wasn't sure if it would hold up. Its very tempting at that price point. If I can get three seasons out of it I would be happy.

One thing I didnt like was the retainers they use to hold the pack to the frame. I would replace those first.

RackStar
08-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Just read lots of bad reviews, they try and get into too many things, tents sleeping bags yada yada. Go with mystery ranch.

Wentrot
08-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Just read lots of bad reviews, they try and get into too many things, tents sleeping bags yada yada. Go with mystery ranch.

Every item from alps iv tried has been excellent quality. Packed plenty of weight many times and it's bullet proof. Don't knock what ya probably havn't tried.

RackStar
08-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Every item from alps iv tried has been excellent quality. Packed plenty of weight many times and it's bullet proof. Don't knock what ya probably havn't tried.

re read my comments please. Your miss understood. =) cheers.

bc_buckshot
08-19-2016, 04:21 PM
I have first hand expierance on the alps commander pack. Blood stains on the tell the story. Two deer and one bear have spent time in the pack and frame. Well say for price you cannot beat. It does the job and more so if you can't justify buying $500 pack. That on the other side why buy twice and just get a mystery pack.

Besides that, pros and cons to the alps commander. It isn't the lightest pack and frame system. The pack it self wish would be a little tiny bit thicker but then again you add even more weight. It is nosey with having those rings I when walking. My suggestion is to tape them. The upside of the pack is forsure the price. It will bring out your game if needed and won't fall apart. Has many pockets and places to put gear evenly. Makes a great shooting rest when needed. It's also nice to just take the pack off in camp and hike with the frame and basic supplies if you get something. End of day worth buying, but still not a mystery pack.

buckshot

whitlers
08-19-2016, 04:37 PM
I have first hand expierance on the alps commander pack. Blood stains on the tell the story. Two deer and one bear have spent time in the pack and frame. Well say for price you cannot beat. It does the job and more so if you can't justify buying $500 pack. That on the other side why buy twice and just get a mystery pack.

Besides that, pros and cons to the alps commander. It isn't the lightest pack and frame system. The pack it self wish would be a little tiny bit thicker but then again you add even more weight. It is nosey with having those rings I when walking. My suggestion is to tape them. The upside of the pack is forsure the price. It will bring out your game if needed and won't fall apart. Has many pockets and places to put gear evenly. Makes a great shooting rest when needed. It's also nice to just take the pack off in camp and hike with the frame and basic supplies if you get something. End of day worth buying, but still not a mystery pack.

buckshot

Thanks Buckshot.

That is very helpfull.

I would love a higher end pack but I just can't afford it.

Lastcar
08-19-2016, 07:13 PM

He meant KUIU. Saying KUIU stinks at a lot of things and gets a few right. But mostly stinks.

On the other hand Jason Hairston is tight with the Donald.

RackStar
08-19-2016, 07:51 PM
He meant KUIU. Saying KUIU stinks at a lot of things and gets a few right. But mostly stinks.

On the other hand Jason Hairston is tight with the Donald.
tight with the Donald? Please explain

Lastcar
08-19-2016, 08:24 PM
tight with the Donald? Please explain

http://blog.kuiu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_0404.jpg

https://twitter.com/donaldjtrumpjr/status/697852051947184129 (https://twitter.com/donaldjtrumpjr/status/697852051947184129)

I am not saying it is good or bad...just that Jason mentions his relationship with the Trumps fairly often these days. Any chance to pile on KUIU!!!!!! ;-)

I know that pic is clearly a photo op and could have been in passing but Jason and Donald Jr are friends. Comes up in podcasts, blogs, Social media etc.

Doesn't change whether I would buy KUIU or not. For the record, I would for some things. Their zip off base layers are amazing, cause you can take them on and off with taking your boots off. I like their gloves. After that I fade on their gear.

RackStar
08-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Well if their bunk customer service didn't ruin it for me, that sure did. SMH. Typical rich white republicans.

HarryToolips
08-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Sorry I made a mistake originally. That is the pack. The commander + pack not the commander x. Although I am interested in both.

The commander + pack is also bigger at 5250 ci which is nice.
That's the one I got, and yes that's the correct size...I just recently got it, after doing a hike in camp with my old army ruck sack and dealing with its discomfort, I decided to go for the commander plus pack after all it's great reviews - I've only taken it on a couple day hikes, but it's very comfortable and seems durable, I love the layout and design..

HarryToolips
08-19-2016, 09:40 PM
I'd recommend it
As long as you can carry all the weight, you can keep all your gear in the pack, while also hauling out the meat.. Your stuff in the pack just literally flops over your meat that you've strapped onto the frame..

whitlers
08-19-2016, 11:04 PM
As long as you can carry all the weight, you can keep all your gear in the pack, while also hauling out the meat.. Your stuff in the pack just literally flops over your meat that you've strapped onto the frame..

That's another question I had. That's great. I'm going to go look at one tomorrow. Thanks for your input

HarryToolips
08-20-2016, 02:35 PM
^^^u bet...I should also say that on those day hikes I had the pack loaded with 75% or so of the weight that I have on me when I go for a hike-in-camp, and it distributed the weight awesome, I couldn't believe how un-tired I got on my hikes with that weight..

BromBones
08-20-2016, 03:02 PM
I bought one on sale at Amazon for $99 I think about 3 years ago. Pack plus bag. Some local/smaller shops are selling them for $250.

I use it for kicking around in the truck or quad if I need to pack something out to the trail. Also for hauling tools for cutting trails, saws, gas, etc, as well as a 'training for hunts' pack, usually loaded around 50 lbs. It's a decent pack, fairly comfortable, and handles bigger loads ok for a cheaper end pack. Lets me keep my expensive packs for backpack trips only & save wear & tear on them.

I lent it to a first time sheep hunter last week & he packed a goat down with it, no issues. I set it up so the frame cargo packets/meat hauling straps are pinned to the frame on top of the bag. That way you have compression straps at 3 different heights for keeping your load cinched down. Works pretty well.

If I was a first time backpack hunter, I would no doubt buy this pack & either use it until I destroyed it or decided to invest in a top quality pack.