PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with non-resident tagging along

Travalanche
08-19-2016, 07:41 AM
I have a buddy from Alberta that wants to come hang out while I'm hunting this fall, he wouldn't be hunting but would be with me in the bush. I know this wouldn't be questioned if he isn't packing, but if he was to carry a shotty to watch my back in the bush for predators would this be seen as an issue?

rocksteady
08-19-2016, 07:48 AM
I do believe if you were stopped and checked by a CO that you could have a difficult time convincing him that your buddy is there for protection, not hunting....

Just my opinion though.

Travalanche
08-19-2016, 07:57 AM
I do believe if you were stopped and checked by a CO that you could have a difficult time convincing him that your buddy is there for protection, not hunting....

Just my opinion though.

That was my thought too. Maybe he just gets a upland game bird license then can justify having a shotgun. He is doing his own hunting in Alberta and really just wants to come hang out but times are a bit tough for him at the moment so dropping $125 on a deer tag just to justify having a gun on him isn't a big priority in his budget right now.

08-19-2016, 08:03 AM
I agree with Rocksteady..........it would be a hard sell. Look up the definition of hunting and what your suggesting would be hard to differentiate between that and the real thing. Suppose hunting season is too close now to get the paper work so he could hunt here legally? If all else fails, give buddy a couple of cans of bear spray and all the heavy gear........ make sure you can out run your buddy as well.:lol:

MB_Boy
08-19-2016, 08:23 AM
That was my thought too. Maybe he just gets a upland game bird license then can justify having a shotgun. He is doing his own hunting in Alberta and really just wants to come hang out but times are a bit tough for him at the moment so dropping $125 on a deer tag just to justify having a gun on him isn't a big priority in his budget right now.

And if he did drop the $125....YOU need a Permit to Accompany. :wink:

p0stij
08-19-2016, 08:24 AM
I think if you just get the non resident hunting permit for $35 or whatever then legally he is good to go for rabbits so it shouldn't be a problem for him to carry a shotgun.

Travalanche
08-19-2016, 08:28 AM
And if he did drop the $125....YOU need a Permit to Accompany. :wink:

yup, got one of those before. I think just the small game license is the way to go in this case. He got laid off and budget is tight and just wants to get away for some time in the mountains and walking around in the bush without a gun is basically just....well....hiking...pfft and I have nobody else to hunt with that weekend so it would be a little peace of mind to have a friend with a gun tagging along.

Hunt247
08-19-2016, 08:33 AM
I'm going through this same situation. According to the regs if he is with you and has a gun while you are stalking tracking looking for he is considered to be hunting as well. If would be up to you to prove that your innocent if you were stopped

goatdancer
08-19-2016, 09:09 AM
We checked this out with a CO a few years ago. He has to have a license if he's carrying a firearm.

walks with deer
08-19-2016, 09:42 AM
1 day when I was way younger we where going to a party and buddy calls and says he will be another 2 hours..
so we grab my bow and rifle and go look for a spring bear..buddy with me hadn't bought his licence yet as it was April. ..we get pulled over by Co we both had shot lots of bears before and only planned on me shooting with the bow but gun was on his side of the truck..

3hrs of taking a tongue lashing we were let go unfined...

I wouldn't risk that again...
buy the small game liscense.

Travalanche
08-19-2016, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. He is just going to get a small game license so he can legally carry the shotgun.

srthomas75
08-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Why does he need a firearm? I don't imagine that you carry an extra shotgun while you are rifle hunting. And if he isn't that close to you in the forest then he isn't really accompanying you but rather hunting on his own.
He could just take binos and a camera?

finngun
08-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Hey Trava..check chat,, /illegal,,or not...17/8 //my story about same thing..but my buddy doesn,t have pal...still he able to hunt with me..small game and ducks..have good hunt F,,g:razz:

finngun
08-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Why does he need a firearm? I don't imagine that you carry an extra shotgun while you are rifle hunting. And if he isn't that close to you in the forest then he isn't really accompanying you but rather hunting on his own.

Eh...i carry shotty and rifle quite often together.....i have combo gun,,,30-06/////12gauge..very handy bush gun..
No---no im not gonna sell it to ya! I:redface:t is a keeper...:shock: cheers f..g

walks with deer
08-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Depending where you are going only a fool would not carry a gun...

I carry 1 everywhere.....

finngun
08-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Depending where you are going only a fool would not carry a gun...

I carry 1 everywhere..... Downtown in Kammy?:?:

Travalanche
08-19-2016, 02:36 PM

He could just carry a stick if he wants, that is beside the point. And no I don't carry a shotgun while I rifle hunt but I typically don't hunt alone either and it would be nice to know a friend has my back and can be able to help me out if sh*t goes sideways with the local grumpy bear. It's not a question of what he needs to carry but what he is allowed to carry.

hunter1947
08-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Not allowed to carry any guns I run into this before when a CO was in my hunting camp ,,tag along but don't touch hold any guns..

scoutlt1
08-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Regardless, would be a tough sell to a CO if your buddy is carrying a shotgun (12G) and ammo (slug?) that will help him "protect" you from predators....