PDA

View Full Version : 3 diffrent deer species in one seaon

scotty30-06
08-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Just wondering if any guys or gals on here have tagged out a Muley, whitetail and a blacktail all I the same season....or even gotten a real nice double?

IronNoggin
08-18-2016, 03:10 PM
Done just that quite a few times now.
One of the most memorable for me was doing all three with the bow:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?89756-3-Species-One-Season-One-Bow

Cheers,
Nog

Everett
08-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Did it about 10 years ago and planning on doing it again this year.

palmer
08-18-2016, 03:39 PM
One Year I also throw in a Fallow Deer back when they LEH at Sidney Island...

scotty30-06
08-18-2016, 07:53 PM
That's sweet.....im gonna try and do it this year aswell....i really hope I can pull it off

lovemywinchester
08-18-2016, 08:17 PM
I did it in 2010. It was my first year deer hunting and also my first post ever on HBC. HBC was a different place back then. Dana was just getting to the end of contributing his amazing pics and stories. Proguides blacktail threads could motivate anyone to climb a mountain in the rain or in my case, bitter cold conditions, in search of a timber ghost. Mark was posting all kinds of huge deer. Lots of guys aren't here anymore and i sure miss them. The way the internet is out of control these days is making guys clam up big time. EDIT or to charge $ for the same stories

I can tell you one thing.....I can't wait to go back and hunt sea to sky blacktails. I dream about it all the time.

Here is the link to my thread.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?59065-Blacktail-down-for-the-hat-trick

Boner
08-18-2016, 08:22 PM
The way the internet is out of control these days is making guys clam up big time.

Agreed.

As for the 3 species of deer in one year, that sounds great. After harvesting all 3, is there a preference for taste I wonder? I've never had whitetail or the coastal blacktail.

wideopenthrottle
08-18-2016, 08:23 PM
i have done an elk and 2 wt does in one 10 day trip with a muley buck on the long weekend trip the next month when those were my only hunting trips in a season...

Salty
08-18-2016, 09:06 PM
I guess the uber grand slam would be all four wild species of deer in BC. A Columbia blacktail, a Sitka blacktail from the Charlottes, a white tail and a mule deer. I believe the Sitka's don't count in the provincial 3 deer max limit if that's right its doable.

I've only shot Columbias and WT and not even in the same year so I'm far from doing it. It would take quite a bit of traveling and hunting to get it done. I'm sure its been done.

Seth
08-18-2016, 10:21 PM
Twice for me. But unless I see a really good whitetail, I'd rather two black tails and a Muley!

Treed
08-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Damn no! Got all three - two with a bow (whitey and mulie) bit not all three in a year. My first deer ever was a little whitie buck with a bow. Stinkiest deer ever and the only one I didn't butcher. Sample size of one means I don't know if it was the butcher or the deer. Not willing to take the chance to find out.

scotty30-06
08-19-2016, 01:46 AM
Would be one heck of a pic of you managed to get them all in one hunt....would need some God like timeing lol

IslandBC
08-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Done just that quite a few times now.
One of the most memorable for me was doing all three with the bow:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?89756-3-Species-One-Season-One-Bow

Cheers,
Nog

Man what a cool thread. That pass through into the tree is killer too!

mikek blacktail
08-19-2016, 06:33 AM
Many times as I live on Vancouver island and make trips up north

MB_Boy
08-19-2016, 07:17 AM
I did it in 2010. It was my first year deer hunting and also my first post ever on HBC. HBC was a different place back then. Dana was just getting to the end of contributing his amazing pics and stories. Proguides blacktail threads could motivate anyone to climb a mountain in the rain or in my case, bitter cold conditions, in search of a timber ghost. Mark was posting all kinds of huge deer. Lots of guys aren't here anymore and i sure miss them. The way the internet is out of control these days is making guys clam up big time. EDIT or to charge $ for the same stories

Ain't that the truth.

I am yet to do all 3....have done 2 but not the trifecta.

sawmill
08-19-2016, 07:18 AM
Agreed.

As for the 3 species of deer in one year, that sounds great. After harvesting all 3, is there a preference for taste I wonder? I've never had whitetail or the coastal blacktail.
I personally find Whities to be excellent eating and I love a good mulie too,the meat is a little stronger but I like the taste.
My Dad used to get coast deer that were eating off the beaches,they always smelled funny to me as a kid.

fuzzybiscuit
08-19-2016, 07:36 AM
Many times as I live on Vancouver island and make trips up north

Me too when living on the island. Almost every year from 1990 - 2008. Probably pretty common for guys that live on the island and take a trip to the interior each year.

Wentrot
08-19-2016, 07:40 AM
I wish....maybe this year.

scotty30-06
08-21-2016, 02:44 PM
I wonder how many amazing successful hunt have gone on over the years

HarryToolips
08-21-2016, 02:57 PM
I guess the uber grand slam would be all four wild species of deer in BC. A Columbia blacktail, a Sitka blacktail from the Charlottes, a white tail and a mule deer. I believe the Sitka's don't count in the provincial 3 deer max limit if that's right its doable.

I've only shot Columbias and WT and not even in the same year so I'm far from doing it. It would take quite a bit of traveling and hunting to get it done. I'm sure its been done.
That would be wicked....but would it technically be over the 3 deer provincial bag limit, or are the Charlotte deer part of those different rules where you can take up to 15???

RackStar
08-21-2016, 03:40 PM
I could be wrong but I hear there's sitkas and Columbia BT deer on Texada

scotty30-06
08-22-2016, 04:47 PM
How do you tell the difference between Sitka and blacktail when in the field?

Salty
08-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Sitkas are a little smaller, stockier and usually lighter in colour. I don't think there's a lot of cross over territory either Sitkas start up around Rupert and north. This is just from looking at pics I've never actually seen a Sitka.

1/2 slam
08-23-2016, 12:09 AM
I could be wrong but I hear there's sitkas and Columbia BT deer on Texada

Yes you are correct....you are wrong

scotty30-06
08-23-2016, 12:20 AM
Yea I new Sitka deer were like the northern version on a bt.....just wasn't sure if there was actual physical differences....saw the meat eater episode where he goes after Sitka....real good show that was....and amazing views

scotty30-06
08-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Why is the bag limit on the QCI's so high......is it that invested with deer up there?

wideopenthrottle
08-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Why is the bag limit on the QCI's so high......is it that invested with deer up there?

due to low interest rates in that investment...heheheh

ruger#1
08-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Why is the bag limit on the QCI's so high......is it that invested with deer up there? Yes. Mini me deer. All six will fit in your cooler.

scotty30-06
08-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Hahahah damn auto correct......really....they are tiny that's why bag limit is so high....place must just be crawling with them

ruger#1
08-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Hahahah damn auto correct......really....they are tiny that's why bag limit is so high....place must just be crawling with them They are not big. And there are lots.

scotty30-06
09-28-2016, 04:09 AM
Anyone close to getting there hat-trick?

boblly1
09-28-2016, 06:44 AM
as i live on live on the island and blackies are what we hunt mainly. And i go to 8-14 every year or so and they have mule deer and white tails. It happens to my partner and i regularly

scotty30-06
06-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Soooo now that leh is out....what are some 3 deer plans this year...(not saying you need leh to get all three)

Jelvis
06-16-2017, 03:57 PM
=-//------------> Got mule deer buck and blacktail buck in the same season <---------------ll-=
-- Mule in Barriere up Gooey dro and the blacktail up Mt Thurston up the Vedder.
Both were heavy and had four points and my buddies were destroyed over it.
-- My buddy's never doubted their main man again.
------------------------------------The grand salami ---------------------------------
Whitetails I have no experience and don't want none lol.
Jelly and the Toasters --------------- Me and Mt Man Jim get togedder when ever we can --
-------------- I swam across dah river jus 2 proov dat I'm a man -- in MU 3-28 ---------------

ajr5406
06-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Soooo now that leh is out....what are some 3 deer plans this year...(not saying you need leh to get all three)

Ill be more than happy with one... Big or small, i don't care...

Jelvis
06-16-2017, 04:13 PM
-- This is the year for deer hunters inn BC, the forecast is for deer to be healthy and strong.
-- get out on a ridge near Kammy in the season with your best boots on and your fave gun.
- You will get your chance to dance, cood b a big buck, doe or a fawn.
- just a little planning, stay near the loops, no big deal, a little effort and time + luck = Success
Jelvis in Kammy -- These boots are made for walkin and that's just what they will do ---

dakoda62
06-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Did it with 2 muley bucks at Puntzi mtn years ago.

Hillerbillyvan
06-16-2017, 11:24 PM
2 columbia blacktail and a whitey doe, no swelled up feelings of pride but my first tag out none the less lol