PDA

View Full Version : Beware Of Grizzlies

hunter1947
08-18-2016, 12:17 PM
I had a encounter the other day with a grizzly bear good thing all turned out ok for me and the bear I was checking my last trail cam and i walked into a grizzly that was coming my way he scared the crap out of me for about 3 min then went his own way be careful out there its that time of the year that they start getting grumpy..:redface:

Elkaholic
08-18-2016, 01:04 PM
Good thing it worked out for you Wayne! I have been extra cautious this year as I have been bringing my kids with me most times when checking my cams. PM incoming.

Koot
08-18-2016, 03:48 PM
I always bring 400 grns with me while out checking the cams. Especially when I bring the young ones....(teenagers)

Stone Sheep Steve
08-18-2016, 04:28 PM
Glad it worked out Wayne.
Were you packing protection?

Glenny
08-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Whoh! What was going on in those 3 minutes? Good your here to tell it. G

Fisher-Dude
08-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Were you packing protection?

You asking Wayne or your teenaged son?

Ourea
08-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Ive been charged before.
I don't scare
Never feared the outdoors
Had the f**k scared out of me

Having a 500 pound animal snapping its jaws at 15 yards .....wondering if this is it....do I die

Life altering

Jaws snapping
Paws stomping

Wouldn't wish that on anyone

hunter1947
08-18-2016, 05:52 PM
You asking Wayne or your teenaged son?

LOL good one Pat I would not be caught without my defender loaded up with 3 inch shells 1,1/4 ounce slugs and bear banger air horn and bear spray the big can of it,,,,the small can only last for a few squirts..

hunter1947
08-18-2016, 05:59 PM

We met in thick road cover he was walking towards me we both saw each other about 30 yard out he stood up and bolted down the bank I could not see him after he bolted I stood my ground put the defender on fire and waited I could here him circling around me from below I started moving real fast the opposite way meaning the way I came in thank god that I was headed back to my quad after I got about 50 yards from him I started to run to my quad looking back every second I never seen him again I left my trail cam unchecked and won't go back to retrieve it till I have a back up that I can depend on,,,I will tell you all this he was a big black silvertip my guess is he was about 6 to 10 years old..

Glenny
08-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Pretty intense moment there. Circling around probably just trying to get a wiff of you. Look forward to the trail cam pics. Glenny

Backwoods
08-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Good to hear it went well!! Myself also had an encounter with a grizzly during my sheep hunt this early August, large mature male, he just minded his own and went the other way eatting berries and flipping rocks, right up in the alpine with the goats and the sheep, I never got a great sleep that night and the next and the band of Rams didn't like him around as they watched him into last light, and moved off to another basin

clu__82
08-18-2016, 07:42 PM
Glad to hear you're ok. That's scary stuff!!

HarryToolips
08-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Glad your ok, did ya brown your undies??

Busterpayton54
08-18-2016, 09:59 PM
I believe I had a close encounter with a black this evening on the bottom of the allouette dam. A friend and I were down at the pool throwing sticks for my dog. We had been there for maybe 45 minutes before my dogs behaviour changed. He got real sniffy, lost interest in the water. Up and down the hill, crawling over the rocks, nose up high sniffing, nose into the rocks sniffing. I figured maybe he had taken interest in the beaver that was swimming when we got there.

Then I thought I heard a rustle around the corner behind me. Then another. I took a few steps to a spot I could see into the bush, it's pretty dense with what I'd call "bear trails" cross crossing all over. I called my dog over, he's real sniffy but he's interested in the top of the hill. So i start waking back towards aly about to suggest maybe we should skeedaddle but I hadn't said anything yet, and then a definite crackling of some deadfall breaking, the sound that says there's some weight to it, and maybe 25ft away. She says, what was that? I said well I was just about to say I think we've got a guest, grab your shit, we better move.

I help her her up the hill. My dog is running along the top landing end to end, nose in the air, pointing. Aly and I continued towards the far end/exit but curiousity got me and I went back to the the end of the landing, tried unsuccessfully to peer down into the maze when the overpowering wreak of wet dog hit me. Jfc. I better gtfooh. As I started to move off I heard more rustling, now it seemed to be on my level, it must have come up the other side of the sharp ridge, is it like 15 feet away? I was frozen, not in fear but trying to figure out wtf is happening... Then I could hear the effin thing breathing or was my mind playing tricks? I stood there for probably a minute trying to figure out if that's a breathing pattern or my mind playing tricks.

This is is the second time in a row down there that something seemed to take interest in us. The previous time it seemed to ghost us, paralleling us as we walked the mains trail. That time my dog knew it was there, he wanted it, I had to fight him on the leash for quite a ways out.

I should probably report this to the co. If that was indeed a bear, which I'm certain it was, I'd say that's pretty alarming behaviour, potentially predatory. The more I think of it, the more it creeps me out.

hunter1947
08-20-2016, 04:39 AM
I believe I had a close encounter with a black this evening on the bottom of the allouette dam. A friend and I were down at the pool throwing sticks for my dog. We had been there for maybe 45 minutes before my dogs behaviour changed. He got real sniffy, lost interest in the water. Up and down the hill, crawling over the rocks, nose up high sniffing, nose into the rocks sniffing. I figured maybe he had taken interest in the beaver that was swimming when we got there.

Then I thought I heard a rustle around the corner behind me. Then another. I took a few steps to a spot I could see into the bush, it's pretty dense with what I'd call "bear trails" cross crossing all over. I called my dog over, he's real sniffy but he's interested in the top of the hill. So i start waking back towards aly about to suggest maybe we should skeedaddle but I hadn't said anything yet, and then a definite crackling of some deadfall breaking, the sound that says there's some weight to it, and maybe 25ft away. She says, what was that? I said well I was just about to say I think we've got a guest, grab your shit, we better move.

I help her her up the hill. My dog is running along the top landing end to end, nose in the air, pointing. Aly and I continued towards the far end/exit but curiousity got me and I went back to the the end of the landing, tried unsuccessfully to peer down into the maze when the overpowering wreak of wet dog hit me. Jfc. I better gtfooh. As I started to move off I heard more rustling, now it seemed to be on my level, it must have come up the other side of the sharp ridge, is it like 15 feet away? I was frozen, not in fear but trying to figure out wtf is happening... Then I could hear the effin thing breathing or was my mind playing tricks? I stood there for probably a minute trying to figure out if that's a breathing pattern or my mind playing tricks.

This is is the second time in a row down there that something seemed to take interest in us. The previous time it seemed to ghost us, paralleling us as we walked the mains trail. That time my dog knew it was there, he wanted it, I had to fight him on the leash for quite a ways out.

I should probably report this to the co. If that was indeed a bear, which I'm certain it was, I'd say that's pretty alarming behaviour, potentially predatory. The more I think of it, the more it creeps me out.

Nice to hear all worked out for you and the black bear..

hunter1947
08-20-2016, 04:41 AM
Glad your ok, did ya brown your undies??

No undies browned I did learn from this encounter I will be making more noise from now on when hiking by myself when it's not hunting season when I can I will try to be in more open areas so I can see a distance it's the thick growth that you sometimes have to hike in is the problem that you can encounter a bear at close range :icon_frow..

Wentrot
08-20-2016, 05:00 AM

Classic samsquanch encounter if I ever did hear one

Walksalot
08-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Got to keep alert when you are in the bush. I often see mountain bikers, hikers and joggers out on the trails in the bush and they have receivers in their ears listening to tunes or what ever. I think to myself "there goes an easy meal". To my knowledge I have never seen a grizzly bear in the woods but I have had my fair share of encounters with black bears. They will often let you know ,by vocalizations, that you are in their space. It is always nice to be able to hear the warning sounds.

DarekG
08-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Two weekends ago I saw a giant grizzly close to Bear Lake, I didn't even know there was Grizzlies out there!
I had to do a double take as this Geo Metro sized mofo came over the ridge. Biggest bear I've ever seen in my life.

Ohwildwon
08-22-2016, 05:08 PM
Two weekends ago I saw a giant grizzly close to Bear Lake, I didn't even know there was Grizzlies out there!
I had to do a double take as this Geo Metro sized mofo came over the ridge. Biggest bear I've ever seen in my life.

Which of the twenty "bear lakes" in this province would that be?

scotty30-06
08-22-2016, 06:50 PM
Took the words right out of my mouth....especally the location

DarekG
08-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Which of the twenty "bear lakes" in this province would that be?

Oh, right...
This would be the Bear Lake near Kelowna/West Kelowna in Region 8!

monasheemountainman
08-24-2016, 03:15 PM
Oh, right...

I call bullshit, prob a big cinnamon

sawmill
08-24-2016, 04:23 PM
My Walker hound Tick got on a black the other day when we were walking in the hills. She started screaming and lit out at 40 miles an hour after it. Small, maybe 2-3 year old. Man, bears sure don`t like hound dogs. But hounds love bears. I had an extra 3 mile hike to get Tick off him.

Ohwildwon
08-24-2016, 05:29 PM
I call bullshit, prob a big cinnamon

Yep, pics please..

Also called Lambly Lake, awesome fishing back in '74...

northernbc
08-24-2016, 05:35 PM
just for interest why could it not be a grizzly. when I lived in Armstrong I think that the co,s took one out of salmon valley. they seem to be showing up in many new places around B.C. well maybe not new places just where they have not been for some time.

BearSniper
08-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Wow, glad you're ok, that was close.

Ohwildwon
08-24-2016, 05:39 PM
That area is not good Grizz habitat...
If by chance it was a true sighting, would have to be on a long sojourn, IMHO...

ursusbait
08-24-2016, 08:35 PM
I had a encounter the other day with a grizzly bear good thing all turned out ok for me and the bear I was checking my last trail cam and i walked into a grizzly that was coming my way he scared the crap out of me for about 3 min then went his own way be careful out there its that time of the year that they start getting grumpy..:redface:

my folks live out near the steeples and dad just had a run in with a sow and two cubs. First time in the 30 years they have been there.
Bait

HarryToolips
08-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Oh, right...
I hike and work around Bear/Lambly lake year round, and I agree with the others that it was most likely a cinnamon coloured black bear, although it being a griz ain't impossible... in fact, Dave who lives at Bear Lake says he saw a griz near Paynter lake 4 years ago...

monasheemountainman
08-24-2016, 08:55 PM
I hike and work around Bear/Lambly lake year round, and I agree with the others that it was most likely a cinnamon coloured black bear, although it being a griz ain't impossible... in fact, Dave who lives at Bear Lake says he saw a griz near Paynter lake 4 years ago...

Yeah but I think that guy has seen a few things that probably weren't really there throughout his life lol

hunter1947
08-25-2016, 03:06 AM
There has been different thought regarding black bear or grizzly sighting within a region ,,lets face it grizzlies are on the increase in numbers in different regions within BC grizzlies can travel many kilometers to seek out new territorial areas anything is possible I will leave it at that..

hunter1947
08-25-2016, 03:10 AM
Two good friends will have their shotguns loaded to the max as for me we will retrieve my trail cam this weekend I won't be putting it back in this location again the area is
to thick and to me it's a known place for grizzly travel..

scotty30-06
08-25-2016, 04:31 AM
If there can be G bear sightings in Chilliwack and Coquitlam....then I won't dismiss it lol

Busterpayton54
08-25-2016, 10:18 AM
If there can be G bear sightings in Chilliwack and Coquitlam....then I won't dismiss it lol
A grizz near lougheed between mission and maple ridge a few years back, and a moose up Sylvester road a few months ago, and finally a grizzly bear bridge lake a few weeks ago also.

HarryToolips
08-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Yeah but I think that guy has seen a few things that probably weren't really there throughout his life lol

LOL true...my little guy thought he was Santa Claus, definitely the look alike..

srupp
08-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Hmm there was a photo of a hunter Henry May...was a a a a up a tree with a photo of a grizzly climbing the same tree..the photo was in the Kelowna Courier many years ago..I knew Mr May well...this all happened near Big White man near Kelowna...surprising where grizzlies turn up.
Steven

Hunterguy
08-25-2016, 05:21 PM
Wayne after your loss of gear and meat last year you just keep poking the tiger, most people would move their camp and be more cautious I would think, good luck this season but if it comes down to shooting a problem bear good luck with the co's.

hunter1947
08-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Wayne after your loss of gear and meat last year you just keep poking the tiger, most people would move their camp and be more cautious I would think, good luck this season but if it comes down to shooting a problem bear good luck with the co's.

I will be moving my meat pole up to 25 feet the meat pole was at 20 feet will be making the pole 16 feet long the deer or elk will hang on the center there is no way a grizzly bear will get my meat this year the elk will be cut in two pieces the nuts left on the hind quarter the antler head attached to the fronts..

Oya I lost my deer last year but this year no grizzly will take my game off the meat pole I also will have a 7 thousand volt electric controller set up around my meat pole.
A person of the likes of myself will never loose any meat again to no bears it happened once but not again you learn and learn fast..

Just think about it if I do move my camp to a different location the bears are still within the area you are not solving the problem the only way to solve the problems for you as a hunter to make sure you don't lose your meat again all my 59 years of hunting it was my first time I have lost meat to a bear and I can tell you this it won't happen again yes I am to smart for it to happen two time in a row,,LOL..

I also will be putting sheet metal around the tree up 12 feet that will be holding the meat pole a bear can't climb up a tree that has sheetmetal around it he can't dig his claws into the tree to get up will just slide off LOL..

O ya I will be putting a trail cam on the meat pole if a grizzly does come in I will have some great pictures of him getting pissed off because he can't get my meat LOL..

Hunterguy
08-25-2016, 06:04 PM
I have an idea without all the money spent to making something that you think will be bear proof why not build a cooler at home or take it to town problem solved.

hunter1947
08-25-2016, 07:05 PM
I have an idea without all the money spent to making something that you think will be bear proof why not build a cooler at home or take it to town problem solved.

LOL then the bear will try to rip open the cooler to try to get the meat and if we are not in camp out hunting the bear will open up the cooler LOL,,,better still just take my meat home I am only three hours from home,,,,BUT I like outsmarting grizzly bears gives me a real good feeling inside LOL..

Besides would cost me more to build a cooler and have the hassle towing it in and out I already have all the stuff for the electric fence a few hours of work and a small cost on sheet metal will do the trick to stop a grizzly from taking any meat we put up the meat pole......

Ohwildwon
08-25-2016, 09:29 PM

The water sheds north of the lower mainland are good to excellent habitat for Grizz...

Since they have been photographed at the north end of some of the lakes,

having them make an appearance at the foothills of the lower mainland, should be of no suprise...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/mikemcclement/bc-distribution_zps40edzvsb.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/mikemcclement/media/bc-distribution_zps40edzvsb.jpg.html)

northernbc
08-25-2016, 10:18 PM
I think that map is to conservative

Ohwildwon
08-25-2016, 10:43 PM
I think that map is to conservative

No doubt, shrink or fill in the white, (mid province) with yellow..

And the northern tip Van Isle...:wink:

Busterpayton54
08-25-2016, 10:57 PM
I remember reading some excerpts from some Lewis and Clarke journals, the lowermainland/ Fraser river flood plains were supposedly some of the highest grizzly concentrated areas they experienced along the journey.

Ohwildwon
08-25-2016, 11:16 PM
I remember reading some excerpts from some Lewis and Clarke journals, the lowermainland/ Fraser river flood plains were supposedly some of the highest grizzly concentrated areas they experienced along the journey.

Same with Rivers in California...

Mosin
08-26-2016, 02:26 AM

Well lets just say theres going to be some 2 legged bears walking around in 4 months

hunter1947
08-26-2016, 05:44 AM
The water sheds north of the lower mainland are good to excellent habitat for Grizz...

Since they have been photographed at the north end of some of the lakes,

having them make an appearance at the foothills of the lower mainland, should be of no suprise...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/mikemcclement/bc-distribution_zps40edzvsb.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/mikemcclement/media/bc-distribution_zps40edzvsb.jpg.html)

Nice chart to see but how accurate is this chart ??..

Ohwildwon
08-26-2016, 06:51 AM
BC Gov, 2013...

DarekG
08-26-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm by no means an expert hunter, but I'm about 95% sure it was a Grizz I saw. I've seen a lot of Black Bears, a few big ones, but the bear I saw was huge and what really set it apart for me was his giant boxy head. Unfortunately I only had an iPhone on me and he was about 150-200 yards away so I didn't bother taking any pictures - Though he stood on the ridge for a few minutes curiously watching us.

Maybe it was a Black Bear, I could only hope - That means I can go harvest it later! :wink:

mpotzold
08-26-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm by no means an expert hunter, but I'm about 95% sure it was a Grizz I saw. I've seen a lot of Black Bears, a few big ones, but the bear I saw was huge and what really set it apart for me was his giant boxy head. Unfortunately I only had an iPhone on me and he was about 150-200 yards away so I didn't bother taking any pictures - Though he stood on the ridge for a few minutes curiously watching us.

Maybe it was a Black Bear, I could only hope - That means I can go harvest it later! :wink:

Probably a grizz-Dish face & a shoulder hump are a dead giveaway.
But remember some black bears are brown & can weigh well over 400 lbs.

Thunderstix
08-26-2016, 11:42 AM
I didn't realize you had moved to the mainland until I saw this post.....out of touch.

groove
09-09-2016, 09:49 PM
A grizz near lougheed between mission and maple ridge a few years back, and a moose up Sylvester road a few months ago, and finally a grizzly bear bridge lake a few weeks ago also.

Was just discussing the possibility of grizz in the bridge lake area with a friend the other day. Not surprised to hear one spotted - any details on the sighting??

browningboy
09-09-2016, 11:36 PM
A grizzly will go wherever the hell it wants, if he wants to go to bridge lake, Shuswap or Cultas it will go there! There is no imaginary boundaries stopping them.

scotty30-06
09-10-2016, 04:31 AM
That's just it...if there is food and means to make a living why not....he walks in anywhere at the top of the food chain and remains there till dead lol.....the hills surrounding the lower mainland are wide open free griz real estate....typical van city market lol ;p

btridge
09-10-2016, 08:20 AM
On the 5th, we saw 2 grizzly in two different drainage's in less than an hour. One was very large for an inland griz, it appeared to be working a food cache. The second was about a 3 year old working the berry patches. I have hunted this area in the central kootenays and only saw 2 griz in 20 years in that area. Makes a guy feel Very small, walking around with only a sharp stick (arrow) and a 4 inch knife!

Spy
09-10-2016, 08:23 AM
No attacks yet on anyone is good be safe out there :-)

monasheemountainman
09-10-2016, 08:24 AM
A grizzly will go wherever the hell it wants, if he wants to go to bridge lake, Shuswap or Cultas it will go there! There is no imaginary boundaries stopping them.

For sure! That doesn't mean they are everywhere though. I have hunted this area many many times and I just don't think it was a grizz that he saw....BUT if I get proof I will eat my words

panhead
09-10-2016, 08:53 AM
I chased one down the road about Mile 15 of the Squamish River once. I know they were in there ... not far from Van ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To get rich requires capitalism.
To get really rich requires socialism.
To get filthy stinking rich requires communism.

REMINGTON JIM
09-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Was just discussing the possibility of grizz in the bridge lake area with a friend the other day. Not surprised to hear one spotted - any details on the sighting??

Hmm ! like to the storey also . :wink: RJ

Camp Cook
09-10-2016, 10:17 AM
I chased one down the road about Mile 15 of the Squamish River once. I know they were in there ... not far from Van ...

Grizzlies are all around Harrison Lake area.

The locals say it this way "eeehhh that is were the grizzlies are eeehhh"

dog812
09-10-2016, 10:41 AM
I am probably one of the worst for fear of bears. That being said I hunt a lot, so I have run into my fair share of grizz. Close encounters with mom and cubs, etc.
Happy to hear that everyone is ok this year.
We were on a fly in up north sheep hunt last year, and our family heard a couple hunters were in pretty bad condition after a grizz attack. They really freaked out. Luckily it wasn't us. I carry a spot sat messenger or inreach now. Let the lady know I am ok. So she let's me keep hunting.

hunter1947
11-01-2016, 05:47 AM
These griz tracks where in the mud right in my camp a week ago I have a picture on my trail cam of a collard griz earlier in the year as trail cam date and time show,,
she woke me up when I was in the camper she took my stove off the table and collapsed my table was a rude awaking at 1,10am that early morning of sept 25..
here she is on the trail cam 20 min latter down at my meat pole..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/00297.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1278.JPG http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2186.JPG

Xenomorph
11-01-2016, 07:10 AM
Wayne, I got a couple new pack alarms, let me know if you need them, I'll send them your way.

hunter1947
11-01-2016, 07:46 AM
Wayne, I got a couple new pack alarms, let me know if you need them, I'll send them your way.

Thanks but no thanks I have a 7 thousand volt electric fence around my wall tent..

elch jager
11-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Thanks but no thanks I have a 7 thousand volt electric fence around my wall tent..

Be careful when you get up to piss in the night...

BRrooster
11-01-2016, 05:26 PM
My daughter saw a Grizz from her ground blind in 8-14 near Lassie Lk on our annual Mulie hunt this year. She said it was about 200 yards away , where we were watching a couple of does on the previous day, and it made the deer seem small. Needless to say it made the rest of the weekend hunting trip a little tense. It stopped
and watched her exit the blind when she unzipped it, and made here way back to the truck. The 7MM-08 didn't seem like "Nuff Gun" that day! We didn't see the usual
Black Bears in that area this trip.......wonder why.