PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in in the LM

jassmine
08-18-2016, 10:41 AM
Just got a new scope and was wondering where do people go in to sight-in their new rifles/scopes around the Lower Mainland.

kevan
08-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Mission Club has a sight-in program every Fall, check their website.
If you are going to do it why not do right instead of a gravel pit with uncertain distance ..... just my thoughts.

scotty30-06
08-18-2016, 10:53 AM
The bush but only works if you have a range finder

jassmine
08-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Mission Club has a sight-in program every Fall, check their website.
If you are going to do it why not do right instead of a gravel pit with uncertain distance ..... just my thoughts.

Thanks!

Yeah I was hoping for a suggestion like that. Beats me carrying out all our labs measuring tapes to get all the distances.

sako79
08-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Rangefinder is all u need

Buck
08-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Mission is my preferred range.$20.00 a little more for targets and ear plugs.Bring tacks or a staple gun to set your targets.Some helpful range wardens to help with your sighting in and it is slower paced than poco which can be very busy.Sat and Sun at the moment for non members.

Boner
08-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Cool, what kind of scope did you get?

I've been at my range every day this week, practice practice practice!

LupieHunter
08-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Poco club is open to the public as well. Times on their website.

jassmine
08-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone.
Just deciding whether it's worth the extra gas to go out to Mission to save a few bucks on the day pass.

Cool, what kind of scope did you get?
I've been at my range every day this week, practice practice practice!

A few months back there was a killer sale on Vortex Diamondbacks with AO (doubt that I need that), but it was 1/2 price and looked solid.
Through it on a 270 that I bought off CGN locally.
Can't wait to try it out.

gmachine19
08-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Poco gun range. Was there yesterday and they only had a handful of people shooting at around 2pm.

BgBlkDg
08-18-2016, 01:38 PM
I much prefer Mission to Poco, and I know of an old, beat up shooter, who will meet you there, check your scope mounting, bore sight it on his collimator and help you sight in correctly, all for FREE!

I can go tomorrow, will be most pleased to meet and help you as I have done for many others and all you have to do is PM me when you will be there, mornings are best.

Let me know here and if possible by e-mails to: riest46@loutlook.com

itsy bitsy xj
08-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Poco gun range. Was there yesterday and they only had a handful of people shooting at around 2pm.

Thats where I used to go when I lived in Bby now I'm in the valley and have a range finder I'll head to the bush

itsy bitsy xj
08-18-2016, 02:05 PM
I just wanna make sure my Ziess conquest is holding true

REMINGTON JIM
08-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Thanks everyone.

A few months back there was a killer sale on Vortex Diamondbacks with AO (doubt that I need that), but it was 1/2 price and looked solid.
Through it on a 270 that I bought off CGN locally.
Can't wait to try it out.

Holy Crap :shock: - jassmine Buying off the Red Neck CGN forum ! :lol: LMAO RJ

jassmine
08-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Holy Crap :shock: - jassmine Buying off the Red Neck CGN forum ! :lol: LMAO RJ

Long before I knew how redneck it really was. :)

Glenny
08-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Rifle bench rest is also a biggy. No sense even trying if the gun is not steady.

gmachine19
08-18-2016, 02:56 PM
I much prefer Mission to Poco, and I know of an old, beat up shooter, who will meet you there, check your scope mounting, bore sight it on his collimator and help you sight in correctly, all for FREE!

I can go tomorrow, will be most pleased to meet and help you as I have done for many others and all you have to do is PM me when you will be there, mornings are best.

I'll have to try mission then. I'm 5mins away from poco that's why I got there lots. The question is...are muzzle breaks banned in mission? :D

kevan
08-18-2016, 03:05 PM
Long before I knew how redneck it really was. :)

This site is more redneck...really....

BgBlkDg
08-18-2016, 03:14 PM
Speak for yourself, as I am, for example, a mellow old fellow and a most cultured conservative Canuck.......listened to Renee Fleming in my Toy 4x4 most of this morning!

Varlet, ;) ;) ;) that forum, CGN, had the MOST bigoted and intolerant gang of looneytunes of any I have yet encountered. Many good guys, but, the "moderation" was very biased and one of the "mods" there actually posted once that he would like to see all aboriginal infants die......THAT, my friend, is SICK!

It was quickly removed when some complained, me included, but, such comments about certain groups and individuals were quite common there circa 2004.

HBC, while I sometimes disagree with a given decision by a mod is FAR more balanced and decent in moderation and one can usually work out differences with others here in a reasonable manner.

kevan
08-18-2016, 03:25 PM
The CGN is an excellent forum with many members from here belonging, myself included.
Usually the only complainers are those with a lifetime ban from it ?

If you like redneck forums where vulgarity is allowed there is always the 'fire..

BgBlkDg
08-18-2016, 04:05 PM
The "fire" is along with HBC, one of the two best forums I have ever posted on. I dislike the sort of sniveling hypocrite who whinges about, for example, "racism" and then makes extremely vulgar, bigoted posts about religious persons with whom he may disagree.

My "lifetime ban" from CGN, is something I am PROUD of as I do not sit by when ignorance, bigotry and mindless "go along to get along" crap is accepted as discussion.

In any event, you feisty old character, it is TOO HOT to argue, so, while I was largely teasing a bit in my last, I will defer to your age and so forth to keep the peace. 90*F in my shaded carport, too much for me! ;)

kevan
08-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Too hot to argue about anything, everybody has their likes and dislikes.
It's all good, Thank goodness for air conditioning.

Glenny
08-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Speak for yourself, as I am, for example, a mellow old fellow and a most cultured conservative Canuck.......listened to Renee Fleming in my Toy 4x4 most of this morning!

Varlet, ;) ;) ;) that forum, CGN, had the MOST bigoted and intolerant gang of looneytunes of any I have yet encountered. Many good guys, but, the "moderation" was very biased and one of the "mods" there actually posted once that he would like to see all aboriginal infants die......THAT, my friend, is SICK!

It was quickly removed when some complained, me included, but, such comments about certain groups and individuals were quite common there circa 2004.

HBC, while I sometimes disagree with a given decision by a mod is FAR more balanced and decent in moderation and one can usually work out differences with others here in a reasonable manner.

Mellow? hard to tell. Cultured? sure. Gruff but lovable anyway. :tongue:

todbartell
08-18-2016, 04:35 PM

take this man up on his offer. Nothing will shorten the learning curve than doing it with a seasoned veteran!

scoutlt1
08-18-2016, 06:19 PM
take this man up on his offer. Nothing will shorten the learning curve than doing it with a seasoned veteran!

X2.....

And isn't it great how being so close to hunting season will focus....well.....pretty much anyone's mind. :) :) :) :)

Mosin
08-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Just got a new scope and was wondering where do people go in to sight-in their new rifles/scopes around the Lower Mainland.

Gun range. Lots to choose from. Just google it and go to the one closet u. Phone first to make sure the calibre ur firing is allowed at that range

Gateholio
08-18-2016, 08:14 PM

If you want to go to Pemberton, you can PM me and meet me there. I'm there almost every day. $5 members guest pass. No Day passes for non members. You can shoot out to 300 yards to verify your trajectory. Well, actually, you can shoot further, but a new hunter really should keep their shots close.

Vladimir Poutine
08-18-2016, 08:50 PM
If you want to go to Pemberton, you can PM me and meet me there. I'm there almost every day. $5 members guest pass. No Day passes for non members. You can shoot out to 300 yards to verify your trajectory. Well, actually, you can shoot further, but a new hunter really should keep their shots close.

Pics of this or it didn't happen.:grin:

todbartell
08-18-2016, 09:25 PM

This could get expensive as Gatehouse's advice comes at a cost of all you can eat Chow Mein :mrgreen:

dino
08-18-2016, 09:39 PM
It's the guys over on cgn that lead the battle against the liberals and their fear mongering bs. Most petitions are started there. I like my b mags, 22 banana clips swiss arms and my 858. Cgn is more important to all Canada than most here can even grasp, rednecks and all. How many people here even know about petition e-111 that was just tabled.

wideopenthrottle
08-18-2016, 10:36 PM
which excellent offer will jassy take? sorry gatehouse but i hope it is BBD he seems to have the bigger crush...heheh.. Just kidding big fella...i'm sure she will learn a lot from either of you...Jassy you are the site sweetie the way you mess with us boys...

Gateholio
08-18-2016, 11:08 PM
This could get expensive as Gatehouse's advice comes at a cost of all you can eat Chow Mein :mrgreen:

:) :)

Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein.....:)

Gateholio
08-18-2016, 11:11 PM
which excellent offer will jassy take? sorry gatehouse but i hope it is BBD he seems to have the bigger crush...heheh.. Just kidding big fella...i'm sure she will learn a lot from either of you...Jassy you are the site sweetie the way you mess with us boys...

No crush here....I've just helped many new people with their guns, and have hosted thousands of people shooting a gun for the first time. Vancouver to Pemberton is a short drive for me, but not everyone feels that way. :)

Machinist
08-19-2016, 07:21 AM
Open to the Public sight for non members in at Mission 300 Rifle Range is now on , Its open on the Weekends only for non members , RSO will be on duty , Runs from 9 AM to 4 PM , the Day pass is $20.00 , Aug 13 to Oct 2 , There will be no Range opening on , Saturday Aug 20 and Monday of the long weekend Sept 5, The only caliber that we are not authorized for on our Range in the 50 BMG , all others are acceptable , Muzzle brakes are allowed. Just keep in mind others shooting beside you are trying to sight in as well and the blast from a brake can be anoying.

Boner
08-19-2016, 07:33 AM
How many people here even know about petition e-111 that was just tabled.

Not nearly enough unfortunately. I e-signed. I heard about it not thru CGN, but the Facebook page that was set up. Sounds like they want another kick at the can.

scott h
08-19-2016, 05:41 PM
Looks like Poco is the closest range to North Van??? Can the public get a day pass to site in or do you have to go as a guest??
It really is a pain to find some where to shoot in the LML .

scott h
08-19-2016, 06:07 PM

Glenny
08-19-2016, 06:25 PM
I like to go up to the Kamloops area to site in and combine it with fishing and scouting. So its not like you are driving 3.5 hours just to site in. Ranges are usually all to your self. I like that part.

REMINGTON JIM
08-22-2016, 04:30 PM

Yea and at the SIZE of Gatehouse thats a LOT of Chow Mein ! ;) lol RJ

Xenomorph
08-22-2016, 04:44 PM
Yea and at the SIZE of Gatehouse thats a LOT of Chow Mein ! ;) lol RJ

Am I going to be in for a big surprise when I finally meet him? I like chow mein too, so I hope he can keep up.

Sportster
08-22-2016, 06:40 PM
I'm heading out to Mission again this weekend. was out there two weeks ago but it was so hot it was hard to see your targets because of the heat mirages , and I was only able to get about 4to5 shots per session because it took so long for the barrel to cool down between shots . I still spent the whole day there. I always have a great time when I head out to Mission from N Van, always meet lots of great like minded people like you do on HBC. Pemberton sounds cool, I'd like to check that range out one day.

mokele mbembe
08-23-2016, 03:57 PM
I tried PoCo range twice. Both times ended with 6 or 7 holes in 200 m final target while fine sighting with expensive ammo (3 shots). Will never go again.
Mission range has very nice and friendly people though.

Carrollizer
08-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Im from Nvan as well, are Mission and Poco the only ranges that are open to the public? Such a far drive, although I do like the idea of a scout trip and sight in...
I'd sure like to get my new Vortex sighted in and dialed.

wideopenthrottle
08-23-2016, 05:02 PM
my hunting partner went to barnet on the weekend...not sure if he is a member but i don't think so

BgBlkDg
08-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Barnet-it was closed by the NDP council of Burnaby, years ago........one of the causes of my leaving the NDP.

Sportster
08-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Im from Nvan as well, are Mission and Poco the only ranges that are open to the public? Such a far drive, although I do like the idea of a scout trip and sight in...
I'd sure like to get my new Vortex sighted in and dialed.

Mission only open for public sight in for a few weekends in the late summer. check out their website and calendar for information.

Sportster
08-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Barnet-it was closed by the NDP council of Burnaby, years ago........one of the causes of my leaving the NDP.

I checked out the Pemberton shooting range website BgBlkDg and sent them an email request for information on public shooting and membership prices. sounds like you frinquint the place quite a bit. so I might drive up there the weekend fallowing the long weekend, traffic should be calming down a bit by then. So if you're up there maybe we'll meet. God knows I can use all the help and advice I can get.

Sinperama
08-23-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm heading out to Poco this weekend.
Sighting in for new XS Bo sight and making sure all my other stick working under pressure.
You can join me in the morning if you like but you'll have to pay for day pass.

Open to public after 11:30 and long lineup is likely.
But come with me in the morning and you wont be waiting in line.
PM me if you dare wake up in the morning on weekends.

ruger#1
08-23-2016, 06:57 PM
I checked out the Pemberton shooting range website BgBlkDg and sent them an email request for information on public shooting and membership prices. sounds like you frinquint the place quite a bit. so I might drive up there the weekend fallowing the long weekend, traffic should be calming down a bit by then. So if you're up there maybe we'll meet. God knows I can use all the help and advice I can get.Or you could PM Gatehouse for info.

BgBlkDg
08-23-2016, 07:02 PM
I have never been to Pemberton, I shoot at Mission and very seldom on weekends as I am not keen on crowds.

ruger#1
08-23-2016, 07:15 PM
I helped put the plumbing in the Mission rod and gun. That area used to be my play ground before they built it there.

Sportster
08-23-2016, 08:53 PM
Or you could PM Gatehouse for info.
Sorry BgBlkDg I ment Gatehouse. THANX ruger#1.

wideopenthrottle
08-23-2016, 08:55 PM

whoops sorry i meant mission but HAD A BRAIN MALFUNCTION!!! DOH

started work at 3am due to a plant shut down for an electrical tie in...have to do another one on thursday...my normal hours are 630-3