PDA

View Full Version : Why hunting is losing the war of public opinion

glennw89
08-18-2016, 06:58 AM
It seems hunting is lurching from one public relations crisis to another in recent months. Whether it is Cecil the Lion or “Speargate”, hunting is losing the “digital war”.

Have a quick look at the social media accounts of these two organizations.

http://wolvesontario.org/algonquin-wolf/
https://twitter.com/Earthroots

https://twitter.com/Raincoast
http://www.raincoast.org/

These organizations are not overtly anti-hunting – but a further examination reveals a more insidious approach. Generally speaking, they want more public land “off limits” to hunting and their drive toward predator protection means that there will be less game on the landscape. Game management organizations will then have to reduce available tags, prioritize First Nations harvest, etc. of a diminishing resource. “Joe Hunter” will have fewer areas to hunt and fewer opportunities to hunt.

Notice that very little scientific documentation is provided for most of their claims – yet they get away with sensationalist inflammatory rhetoric because no one challenges them. “Joe Public” sees what these organizations present as “fact” and accepts it as so because there is frequently no available counterpoint.

Hunters and hunting organizations need to be posting counterpoints to these falsehoods posted to Facebook, Twitter, etc. by anti-hunting organizations.

The vast majority of the general public is not anti-hunting or pro-hunting. They can be swayed by rational arguments and scientific research to accept hunting, even if the vast majority will never actively participate.

Working as a high school teacher is my “day job”. On a daily basis I am reminded that technology/social media is an integral part of their lives. If we want to inform the “next generation” (the people who will be influencing political decision makers in the future) we must be active in the digital realm that they get the vast majority of their information from.

Hunters and hunting organizations need to be far more proactive if we hope to see our hunting opportunities exist into the future. It’s one thing to “preach to the converted” by coming onto forums like this one and lamenting the deception of the anti-hunting movement. We need to be far more proactive to “call out” these organizations when they attempt to put forward fiction as fact.

I also think the hunting community as a whole needs to speak up and slam “hunting” shows that do not demonstrate the environmental ethic the general public will support. We need more “Canada in the Rough” and less fist pumping, “yee haw” shows. Nothing wrong with celebrating the hard work that goes into a successful hunt – but it doesn’t need to be on camera in my opinion.

bearvalley
08-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Excellent post with some very, very valid points!!!

BgBlkDg
08-18-2016, 07:16 AM
EXCELLENT post, totally concur and have been trying to do this on various media outlets and in conversations for decades.

The Raincoast gang are simply beneath any form of decent human life and many are foreigners and total asswipes, BUT, they KNOW how to do what they are doing and we MUST learn to defeat these evil vermin with the same techniques.

303savage
08-18-2016, 07:35 AM
It only take one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel. Take Quading and dirt biking, most people are responsible operators but the few that mud bog and hill climb and generally wreak havoc in the countryside give everybody a bad name. In elections the majority wins. In the outdoors the majority loses because of the minority.

08-18-2016, 07:40 AM
The media and these dubious organizations are working together to try and create a narrative where hunting has no place in conservation. Hunters, along with their various organizations (Ducks unlimited, RMEF, WSSBC, WSF, BCWF etc) need to put more money into educating the public. Of course they can only do that if the have the money, which means more hunters need to support these groups. As with most things in the world, it's always a small minority who do all the "heavy lifting". That can no longer be. ALL hunters need to start financially supporting hunting based conservation organizations.

I agree that we need to conduct ourselves better on social media. Hunters need to try and temper their need for self-promotion. I think many hunters revere and deeply respect the animals they hunt. Let's start projecting that image.

The good news is that more and more people across the country are getting into hunting (and firearms ownership). That's a really positive trend as there is strength in numbers

Salty
08-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Hunting and hunting numbers is on the upswing in BC. People are getting in to hunting that have had no previous experience and didn't grow up with it in the family now more than ever. There's always going to be viral incidents that go into the stupidsphere and hunting isn't immune to that. Celebrate what we have, where its going and try not to buy in to flash in the pan incidents and their two weeks of fame. Promote positive aspects of hunting where ever you can. The food security part of it is very much in vogue, the organic food part of it as well. Go forth and hunt and be proud of it.

Vladimir Poutine
08-18-2016, 08:23 AM
It only take one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel. Take Quading and dirt biking, most people are responsible operators but the few that mud bog and hill climb and generally wreak havoc in the countryside give everybody a bad name. In elections the majority wins. In the outdoors the majority loses because of the minority.

Truer words were never said. All you have to do is look at a few of the responses to the spear story on HBC. Those that were concerned about the image rather than the method were somehow tagged by some as anti hunting. Go figure.

604Stalker
08-18-2016, 09:10 AM
The unfortunate part in this is that regardless of science and rationality these people have allready had their minds made up for them. You will hear them refer to us as murderers, say things like hunt the hunters they will anthropomorphize and act as though we are slaughtering animals in mass. I had my sister refer to hunting and fishing as genocide the other day yelling that we are better than that and need to get past eating meat for the sake of taste or preference. I had a client whom we swapped lights for yesterday tell us he wanted to hug us for the job we did. Then when I asked him when the offroad version of their electric vehicle for hunters was going to come out he turned and told me they planned to shoot the hunters and laughed. The antis are erratic and have way more potential for violence towards others because they simply believe they are right and they want to achieve their goal at all costs.. So did Kaczynski. There needs to be a public forum for hunters to voice their concerns about concervation and their experience and unfortunetly as it stands there are basicly paramilitary groups ready to jump on you if you set up a booth to inform people like they do they would swarm you and start a protest right there. Its SAD nobody advocates for us outdoorsman.

08-18-2016, 09:44 AM
The unfortunate part in this is that regardless of science and rationality these people have allready had their minds made up for them. You will hear them refer to us as murderers, say things like hunt the hunters they will anthropomorphize and act as though we are slaughtering animals in mass. I had my sister refer to hunting and fishing as genocide the other day yelling that we are better than that and need to get past eating meat for the sake of taste or preference. I had a client whom we swapped lights for yesterday tell us he wanted to hug us for the job we did. Then when I asked him when the offroad version of their electric vehicle for hunters was going to come out he turned and told me they planned to shoot the hunters and laughed. The antis are erratic and have way more potential for violence towards others because they simply believe they are right and they want to achieve their goal at all costs.. So did Kaczynski. There needs to be a public forum for hunters to voice their concerns about concervation and their experience and unfortunetly as it stands there are basicly paramilitary groups ready to jump on you if you set up a booth to inform people like they do they would swarm you and start a protest right there. Its SAD nobody advocates for us outdoorsman.

Are you a BCWF member?
Are you a member of any other hunter-based conservation organization?

adriaticum
08-18-2016, 10:02 AM
There are some truths that we have to acknowledge.

1. There is more and more people in BC, and less and less land.
2. There are more and more people moving to the cities (just look at Salty crazy dude).
3. People in the cities don't care about anything outside the city and can be sold anything really. They don't know where milk comes from let alone anything about wildlife.
4. Our culture is declining and nanny state is growing and nanny state will do anything to appear to please the opinion of the day.

GoatGuy
08-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Easiest thing is to point at what the antis, urbanites and government are doing.

Question is: What are hunter doing for themselves?
Answer: Not much.

Turn the tide by joining a conservation organization, meet with your MLA and MP at least once every 3 months, talk to your friends/coworkers/acquaintances about conservation/hunting/fishing, write letters to the editor, call in to radio shows, talk to First Nations, and take a kid out hunting/fishing. Generally get involved.

It's yours to lose.

604Stalker
08-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Are you a BCWF member?
Are you a member of any other hunter-based conservation organization?

Are there any groups locally who are actively campaigning for resident hunters out in public? Whens the last time you saw a bcwf booth at the pne or a concert .. I know I see peta booths. As a young person who decided to start hunting and angling theres not alot of a support for learning and educating in public. How much money do you want me to spend so I can have my oppinion. Better yet are you going to help fund public forum for hunters to voice their opinion about concervation. I have my boota on the ground and I see whats going out there .. Try telling it to the average joe they dont want to talk about it so that its not their problem. Hows asking me what group Im with going to help? Im with the resident hunters of BC the most undervoices underheard group in BC.

08-18-2016, 11:00 AM
Are there any groups locally who are actively campaigning for resident hunters out in public? Whens the last time you saw a bcwf booth at the pne or a concert .. I know I see peta booths. As a young person who decided to start hunting and angling theres not alot of a support for learning and educating in public. How much money do you want me to spend so I can have my oppinion. Better yet are you going to help fund public forum for hunters to voice their opinion about concervation. I have my boota on the ground and I see whats going out there .. Try telling it to the average joe they dont want to talk about it so that its not their problem. Hows asking me what group Im with going to help? Im with the resident hunters of BC the most undervoices underheard group in BC.

All I know is waiting for someone else to do things for you might not work in the long run. The BCWF does advocate for hunters, as do most hunting-based conservation organizations.

I have on several occasions seen BCWF quotes in the paper/radio/social media in support of resident hunters.

Are you a member of a rod and gun club?? Our local club has women and youth shoots to encourage non-traditional participation.

Hunting-based conservation organizations ARE working for wildlife and hunters, but they need more support.

Personally, aside from my support of conservation organizations, I do use social media to help convey a healthy and respectful image of hunting. I post field pictures of elk, moose, etc that I kill, and also a delicious looking meal I make from the meat. I title it "From field to table". I get nothing but positive comments. Many of my wife's friends tell her they wish their husbands hunted. I have reached out to them and told them THEY should hunt. The result: my wife and 6 of her friends are getting their PALs and CORE this year.

604Stalker
08-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Im glad your active in your endeavor. However it seems your missing my point there are few FREE options for say a young hunter the rod and gun club is a great for anyone who has 185 dollars laying around. And the bcwf is in a bad way right now so they will not be getting my membership fee until they sort out their internal affairs. I myself volunteer as a beaver leader in a local group and take every opportunity I can to speak about concervation of local wildlife. Im teaching my kid to fish and hunt. Its just pretty lame that hunting bc is basicly the only free hunting resource around and we cant even seem to get along.

08-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Im glad your active in your endeavor. However it seems your missing my point there are few FREE options for say a young hunter the rod and gun club is a great for anyone who has 185 dollars laying around. And the bcwf is in a bad way right now so they will not be getting my membership fee until they sort out their internal affairs. I myself volunteer as a beaver leader in a local group and take every opportunity I can to speak about concervation of local wildlife. Im teaching my kid to fish and hunt. Its just pretty lame that hunting bc is basicly the only free hunting resource around and we cant even seem to get along.

Ok sorry. I thought your original post was more about there not being any entities advocating for the hunting community.

In my opinion, though, it's not the lack of free resources for youth, but the apathy of hunters in general that results in ourselves being so under-represented.

604Stalker
08-18-2016, 06:43 PM
I guess I did get a little off topic my point being we are being demonized by society and we need to all do pur part and show that we are normal people who love nature and that harvesting an animal doesn't make us "murders" participating in "genocide" but rather people who are working hard to obtain knowledge of the outdoors and those species in question. I was meerly suguesting that we need more support for our lifestyle. Its just hard when you meet people who would suguest to hunt a hunter or call you a murderer and you try to explain holding capacity to them or your experience with preditor tracks on the ground and they just comment saying. Hope one of them eats you. I would gladly hold informitive gatherings if Ibhad a venue to do so and the support of my fellow hunters.

Ohwildwon
08-18-2016, 09:58 PM
City folk are increasingly disconnected from the natural world, as has been said on here many times before..

I find some people who have a hard time with killing an animal, also have an unhealthy relationship with death itself, imho...

Murder, by definition is the unlawful killing of another human being. (legal speak)....

Its an ignorant word to use towards harvesting an animal...

604Stalker
08-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Damn rights anthropomorphize is the word of the day. They try to give animals human qualities Its not disney out there.

Salty
08-19-2016, 09:34 AM
There are some truths that we have to acknowledge.

1. There is more and more people in BC, and less and less land.
2. There are more and more people moving to the cities (just look at Salty crazy dude).
3. People in the cities don't care about anything outside the city and can be sold anything really. They don't know where milk comes from let alone anything about wildlife.
4. Our culture is declining and nanny state is growing and nanny state will do anything to appear to please the opinion of the day.

Hey, hey, hey easy now man...
OK granted I am technically moving to the Lower Mainland. But on its very eastern fringes in Hope with a quick easy escape route to the north and east! :mrgreen:

Your point is valid though the smaller resource based communities in BC are actually shrinking in many instances. The 75,000 plus population centres are all growing. And the larger cities growing at an alarming rate. Something to keep in mind for sure as hunters grapple with the image of our sport and where its going. Luckily, there's lots of city people in to and getting in to hunting.

ajr5406
08-19-2016, 09:48 AM
Im relatively new to hunting and come from a very anti-hunting culture. A few years back I viewed hunters as redneck drunks who liked to kill animals for fun and the only hunting media I saw was in support of this stereotype. I know now that I was wrong and very narrow minded, but that is how many people (especially in the cities) view hunters and hunting.

However, seeing a more recent shift back to hunting as part of a greater conservation ethic and food acquisition certainly was part of my conversion to a hunter. When people actually understand hunters are people who deeply care for these animals and wild places, and have a serious concern for conservation, it will change people minds. I know that this isnt a new movement, but it feels new to me.

In my mind, the key is to make the "real hunting" ethic known. People like Steven Rinella etc are certainly helping us, but we need more of these people in the media. We also need to set an example in our communities as well.

Just my $0.02...

Bernie O
08-19-2016, 09:49 AM
For sure we all ought to withhold our membership from BCWF, that way there will be no mess to sort out. There will also be no one to speak on our behalf.
If all the rats got of a sinking ship it would probably float by not having the additional burden to carry.

Salty
08-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Im relatively new to hunting and come from a very anti-hunting culture. A few years back I viewed hunters as redneck drunks who liked to kill animals for fun and the only hunting media I saw was in support of this stereotype. I know now that I was wrong and very narrow minded, but that is how many people (especially in the cities) view hunters and hunting.

However, seeing a more recent shift back to hunting as part of a greater conservation ethic and food acquisition certainly was part of my conversion to a hunter. When people actually understand hunters are people who deeply care for these animals and wild places, and have a serious concern for conservation, it will change people minds. I know that this isnt a new movement, but it feels new to me.

In my mind, the key is to make the "real hunting" ethic known. People like Steven Rinella etc are certainly helping us, but we need more of these people in the media. We also need to set an example in our communities as well.

Just my $0.02...

That's a great post ajr thanks for sharing your thoughts. Its this kind of story and this kind of rationale that will serve us well now and going forward. Make sure to tell your circle of friends about what you've learned, and anyone else that will listen. ;)

Surrey Boy
08-19-2016, 11:28 AM
Easiest thing is to point at what the antis, urbanites and government are doing.

Question is: What are hunter doing for themselves?
Answer: Not much.

Turn the tide by joining a conservation organization, meet with your MLA and MP at least once every 3 months, talk to your friends/coworkers/acquaintances about conservation/hunting/fishing, write letters to the editor, call in to radio shows, talk to First Nations, and take a kid out hunting/fishing. Generally get involved.

It's yours to lose.

This is it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me become a hunter, for their patience and generosity. I'm paying it forward every chance I get.

scotty30-06
08-19-2016, 12:32 PM
It blows my mind how the common man loses his rights to freedoms the second "antis" don't like but yet we are force fed what they want....a friend and I were talking the other day about the gay and lesbian community....and he ask "why does it bug you so much" my response was "it's not their actions or lifestyle I have a problem with....its the fact that once someone that disagree with them then I become the bad guy but we are forced by society to accept there rights and views....so if that's the case why do I lose my voice the second someone from that community is around.....if both sides would quit whineing and actually sit down and figure it out....this whole problem will b solved....but we avoid each other in real life then slam each other over the Internet or some asshole article......just my opinion...whatever happened to mind your own effing business lol

ajr5406
08-19-2016, 12:51 PM
It blows my mind how the common man loses his rights to freedoms the second "antis" don't like but yet we are force fed what they want....a friend and I were talking the other day about the gay and lesbian community....and he ask "why does it bug you so much" my response was "it's not their actions or lifestyle I have a problem with....its the fact that once someone that disagree with them then I become the bad guy but we are forced by society to accept there rights and views....so if that's the case why do I lose my voice the second someone from that community is around.....if both sides would quit whineing and actually sit down and figure it out....this whole problem will b solved....but we avoid each other in real life then slam each other over the Internet or some asshole article......just my opinion...whatever happened to mind your own effing business lol

This is very true (albiet off the original topic): many people in the "tolerant/open minded" crowd say that they are tolerant and welcoming of others views, BUT if you disagree with their view, watch out! Tolerance is a one way street...

scotty30-06
08-19-2016, 12:58 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying....I have noooo problem with either community but don't disrespect me and my fellow country men that follow in the footsteps of the hunters and trappers that help make this such a great country....if you wanna oppress my views for being a hunter and a conservative then move to the states or better yet the middle east hahah....they will listen to ya ;p

Salty
08-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Maybe you guys are on to something. Maybe we as hunters need to be identified as a group that's marginalised because of our lifestyle. We need protection and laws allowing us to do what is natural to us since birth, and to not be chastised for it. And it needs to be enshrined in the constitution. We'll definitely need an acronym.. And a flag and a special colour that we identify with :)

Bugle M In
08-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Hunting is hunting and occasionally there is killing.
There's no 2 ways around that point.
Some people, like vegans and vegetarians, will always disagree with hunting and the killing, regardless of how we explain that to them.
On the other hand, A vegan and vegetarian, will never convince me to give up eating meat.
And now, there is a push, from a scientifically stand point that we should eat very little meat, as well as processed foods and sugar,
so now you have that argument against us as well.
But, for those who do not hunt, and do try to understand our point of view, or are on the fence, there is one thing that does bother me about some hunters.
We like to post our success, and as seen as of late, all those hunters who go to Africa, are getting blasted.
Than, the thing that was, to my opinion, not overly cool.....was...
That last viral video that hit the news of that guy spear hunting the black bear.
Firstly, not sure where I stand on spear hunting, a little to barbaric for me...and I am a long time hunter.
But, it was all the "fist pumping, up and down" that turned my wife off, and she accepts me being a hunter.
I understand the adrenaline rush, but, on video, to others, it looks like it was all about killing.
Virtually no remorse at the time, or should I say, "respectful of the opportunity that presented itself".
So, now you have people on the fence....and they see that.....that is not helping us for others to understand.
Unless you hike all day, and search all day, day after day, you could not understand what it takes or is involved in hunting etc.
You sit on a couch, and just see the 1 minute of success.... and than the images that are reflected back to the person on the fence.
That in my opinion, is where we are doing the most harm to ourselves.
And yes, tv/movies portray hunters as rednecked, uneducated, alcoholics, that are just a bunch of lazy slobes with no respect for
anything......and there are some hunters out there that are like that....or act like that.
Although, I know, "from experience and meeting other hunters" a lot of us are not like that...but...
I am out there to see it 1st hand, fence sitters aren't.
Like watching a ww2 movie, 20 germans with machine guns, and 1 American with a pistol.....20 dead germans...
Get my drift...
Deer hunter, 1 guy with respect and knowledge, the other 4 drunk and blasting away.
All I can say, is do your best in presenting your catch, if you want to post it, smile, but show some respect.
And, if it's gory, and we know that can happen from time to time, an animal may not always fall right away, maybe it's best to
keep those moments to yourself.
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Same is said for hunting at times.
I know there are many hunters out there who volunteer countless hours of time for wildlife/environment, who are out in the
filed trying to get things back to right, but that is never portrayed or rarely shown or advertised.
Right now, we do more harm than good for the sport and ourselves, with what is all over the net.
Just my opinion

Xenomorph
08-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Deer hunter, 1 guy with respect and knowledge, the other 4 drunk and blasting away.
All I can say, is do your best in presenting your catch, if you want to post it, smile, but show some respect.
And, if it's gory, and we know that can happen from time to time, an animal may not always fall right away, maybe it's best to
keep those moments to yourself.
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Same is said for hunting at times.
I know there are many hunters out there who volunteer countless hours of time for wildlife/environment, who are out in the
filed trying to get things back to right, but that is never portrayed or rarely shown or advertised.
Right now, we do more harm than good for the sport and ourselves, with what is all over the net.
Just my opinion

I agree there is controversy being raised by all the media showing a lot of different "approaches" to hunting. Someone touched base on the anthropomorphic view of the wildlife lately. Maybe we need to remind them that it is their instinct to domesticate them for food that's at play and no other higher cause to it.

Furthermore, the way someone harvests the boar, the bear, the buck, the bull has little to no significance to the person doing it. Once the act is successful, the hunt is successful, the harvest has occured, done deal. The dilema is that nowadays everyone's an expert on everything, everyone feels the need to extrapolate their opinions in the utter most ridiculous fashion of them all, senseless and lacking common sense or any personal grounded experience.

In the end, if you hammer through the message for which -truly- vast majority of us are doing it
"Tradition"
"Sustenance"
"Conservation" we will drive the point across.

I wish I had had the opportunity to make a call and make just these two comments
1. I am one of the many who eat what they kill: whether it will be a cougar, bear, moose, elk ...I will make sure to enjoy the harvest, the experience of it all
2. I wish Kyle could invalidate -if he could- the stark statistical and scientifically observed reminder of what happened in Banff the last year, where due to the abundance of mature aggressive boars, not one cub made it, all were killed, and in some cases females too.

That in itself is reason alone to continue the pursuit of the bear hunt. We target the old boars, the ones who'd take a quick kill, the ones who push the younger females and their cubs out of the prime feeding habitats.

Also, I wish the COs would crack down on the bear viewing and feeding/habituating. Instill some common sense before both animals and humans lose their lives.

ajr5406
08-19-2016, 02:53 PM
One of the major problems with today's world is that it's very easy to sit behind a computer screen an spew forth hate and opinions without actually having to do anything.

Unfortunately these are the people who are "culture definers", who's opinions seem to weigh the most in the discussion.

Sadly hunters are on the defensive and are forced to justify the lifestyle because some fat kid who has never been in the bush (but has a million twitter followers) throws out his stupid "opinion".

Rob Chipman
08-19-2016, 05:33 PM
The OP has it exactly right. I think it can be summed up even more succinctly: we're losing the war of public opinion because we're not even trying to fight it.

That grizzly hunt piece on CBC? One guy says we need to look at the big picture, take into account habitat loss, roads, hunting, etc. The other guy says, explicitly, that science isn't the basis to make the decision. Now, I don't know if Jesse Zeman is an actual scientist, but the other guy? He's a PHD candidate and he doesn't want to use science to deiced if grizzlies can be hunted. He thinks its a moral question, and he ties it to un-ceded lands and nation to nation negotiations and the idea that FNs think of grizzlies as their ancestors.

In other words, he's fighting a many fronted political battle, and stopping grizzly hunting (and likely all hunting) is just one front in his political war.

The woman wants to save grizzlies because she saw some on a vacation. Again, no science.

They're both saying "stop liking what I don't like". I think we need to be very clear that those kind of people like exerting control over others and aren't going to be swayed by reason or any ideas based on scientific management.

Let me turn it around a bit and play the Devil's advocate. Let's assume these two anti-hunting people on CBC (btw, why 2 against 1? I guess that's balance, right?) really do want to save endangered animals? I mean, that's a good goal, right? Why would you doubt that they want to save endangered animals and just don't trust government numbers? Why would anyone think the actual goal is to stop hunting?

How about this: Rinella just put out a fascinating podcast with with wildlife biologist Bart George. George works in eastern Washington as a wildlife bio for the Kalispell Indians, and he works on...mountain caribou. He covers parts of Washington, Idaho, Montana and BC. He's doing work with the Selkirk herds.

Those caribou aren't hunted.

They're actually threatened with extinction.

And yet I don't see any social media campaigns to save them. Three states and one province. That's a lot of potential animal lovers, and yet, once you take hunting away people seem to think "Screw it. Who cares about those animals? Now that I've stopped the evil hunters I'm good, thanks".

(Rinella's podcast is here. If you haven't listened, give it a shot. http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/episode-042-seattle-washington-steven-rinella-talks-with-wildlife-biologist-bart-george-along-with-ryan-callaghan-land-tawney-and-meateaters-janis-putelis/ )

We're talking about it more, which is good.

We're becoming aware that we need to be in groups.

We need to figure out how to really get the message out, and who to get it to.

I don't have a problem with a guy spear hunting a bear if he can be assured he's going to kill the animal.

I have a problem with a guy then boasting about it as if it isn't predictable that it's going to do more harm than good.

Hunters need to stick together because we're all in the same boat. But a lot of you have heard this before - we need to tell some guys to stop chopping holes in the boat.

At the same time we need to start getting our real story out. Man alters the natural world more than anyone else. We have the ability to see the effect, and to manage for best outcomes. If we're going to have a modern world we're going to screw up the natural one, so we have a responsibility to manage the outcomes, whether through hunting for meat or managing predators. If we don't do that, and we remove hunters from the landscape we'll be left with people in cities and resource extractors and developers who don't care about animals. Animals will disappear. That's been the history, and it will be the future if we let guys like Raincoast or Save our Cuddly Magnificent Wolves and Grizzlies win this war.

There is outdoor media that tells that story. We need more of it. We also need to figure out who to educate and how to educate them, because we need the non-committed people in the middle to become comfortable supporting hunting and scientific management of wildlife populations.

LBM
08-20-2016, 10:26 AM
So can any one name some good conservation minded organizations that are worth looking into.

glennw89
08-20-2016, 04:40 PM
I called out Earthroots on their Twitter page for their website on Algonquin wolves. They presented material as factual with no obvious referencing to research. Eventually they provided links to research, only some of which supported their position.

The reality is that these organizations are currently able to present their agenda to the general public without being held accountable. Call them out and demand to see real scientific research that backs up their claims.