PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon trapping in backyard

scotty30-06
08-18-2016, 01:22 AM
Hey guys....intersting question.....i have been raccoon problem in my backyard....i will traps aswell....am I legally allowed to sell the pelts when I catch them?...just curious before trying it....figured it would pay back some of the sod they wrecked lol

kevan
08-18-2016, 04:36 AM
I doubt if the fur has any value now as this is not prime time for it.
Maybe your simplest option is to use my method, everyone knows it as the 3S.

bigredchev
08-18-2016, 06:16 AM
Not even worth crab bait

scotty30-06
08-18-2016, 11:04 AM
OK well thanks for the help...3s method it is

Jim Prawn
08-18-2016, 04:25 PM
I have recently started trapping coons myself. Just got chickens a few months ago and sure enough, all of a sudden there are coons all over the place! Got a large live trap and baited with eggs and apples but no luck. Tried some chicken feed and Bam! 3 coons in 3 nights! There were at least 6 around so I guess the others have gotten wise to the trap, since no luck the last 2 nights. Have also heard that they like marshmallows so some of those will be going in the trap tonight. Good luck!
JP

Jim Prawn
08-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Also, I think you need to be a licensed trapper to sell fur.
JP

steveo
08-18-2016, 04:29 PM
I believe you need to be a licensed trapper to trap raccoons in your back yard as well.

Glenny
08-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Just make hats then.

itsy bitsy xj
08-18-2016, 05:41 PM
I'll take a hat

ruger#1
08-18-2016, 05:48 PM
I have recently started trapping coons myself. Just got chickens a few months ago and sure enough, all of a sudden there are coons all over the place! Got a large live trap and baited with eggs and apples but no luck. Tried some chicken feed and Bam! 3 coons in 3 nights! There were at least 6 around so I guess the others have gotten wise to the trap, since no luck the last 2 nights. Have also heard that they like marshmallows so some of those will be going in the trap tonight. Good luck!
JP I was using cat food in the tin can. They also love chicken dog kibble. And milk bone dog biscuits. I have had the most luck with those. Those big black and silver squirrels. Raw peanuts in the shell. I hate those tick spreading tree rats. I caught four in one weekend.

Glenny
08-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Picked up a couple at the cache Crick petrocan. Rabbit fur fer sure but the tail was real???? Great souves for the lil ones.

Glenny
08-18-2016, 05:51 PM
I caught four in one weekend.

Good eaten size I bet.

ruger#1
08-18-2016, 05:55 PM
Lots of ticks on them. They are big.

Glenny
08-18-2016, 06:34 PM
The ticks? lol

Liptugger
08-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Mini multi colored marshmellows for sure. Also want to drive them crazy? put out a bowl of soda crackers next to a bowl of water

Ohwildwon
08-18-2016, 09:44 PM
Im trying the sardine molasses mix tonight myself, third night of trying (no luck) with my homemade trap...

The coons thrash around in the back yard, sets my dog off, cant get a decent nights sleep!

heatherdaddy
08-19-2016, 08:12 AM
When I was live trapping Raccoons in my complex I was using dry dog food or cat food and honey mixed together and was catching at least one a night for about 2 weeks.

scotty30-06
08-19-2016, 12:52 PM
I wonder what the min fps you would need a pellet to go to be lethal to a raccoon....guessing a high powered on over 600 fps to do the trick

Jagermeister
08-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Im trying the sardine molasses mix tonight myself, third night of trying (no luck) with my homemade trap...

The coons thrash around in the back yard, sets my dog off, cant get a decent nights sleep!My neighbor built a trap. Wood frame with ¼" galvanized mesh wire. The hole that the critter escaped through was not very large indicating a small coon. He did leave a little of his coat behind but he was gone. So if you are intent on building a trap, you might want to multi-layer the wired to keep the blighter in.

David Heitsman
08-19-2016, 03:04 PM
I wonder what the min fps you would need a pellet to go to be lethal to a raccoon....guessing a high powered on over 600 fps to do the trick

My 25 year old RWS Magnum .22 air rifle has sent several coons (3?) to the land of eternal crawfish. I think it sends the pellet around 900 fps. Has to be head shots though for certain. Now I use it to thin the cottontails around the house.

kevan
08-19-2016, 03:30 PM
We did have a family of Racoons doing a nightly patrol but since the drug wars have heated up lately in our neighborhood ( West Abbotsford ) they have made themselves scarce.... wish we could.

markomoose
08-20-2016, 08:05 AM
My Dad got 14 Racoons when I was a kid growing up on the North Shore.He took all of them to the British Properties and released them.A better selection of trash ??

panhead
08-20-2016, 09:02 AM
A neighbor out here in Tsawwassen has "relocated" 23 coons from his backyard alone. Have a friend up in Bella Coola who say's there aren't any up there. Wonder just how far north they are? Anybody know?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debt gives the illusion of wealth

Lastcar
08-20-2016, 10:02 AM
Do they make a helluva a racket once trapped? Or do they chill and try to plan an escape or to tear the a-hole who placed the traps face off when he comes back?

Growing up in Hope there were more than a few families who had their "own" families of them. Bowl of water and some white bread and every night momma would bring the kids over. Right into the kitchen through the sliding door. Have their bread and saunter on out.

One was across the street and one was a half block down the alley.

People across the street had a beautiful koi pond. It needed an electric fence to keep the coons out and a mesh "roof" to keep the birds out.

I can't recall if we ever had problems with coons in the garbage or not. I doubt them getting a bit of feed would stop them from seeking out more food.

Our dogs would lose their minds when they came in the yard. One night the dogs treed 4 of them up a lilac, i think...whatever it was it sure as hell wasn't sturdy. 4 raccoons in this tree and it is swinging good. All vertical branches, the biggest one's branch would swing to about 6 or so feet off the ground. Then the dog would jump to try and bite. I remember my mom then turning the hose on the coons. All hell broke loose at the point. Miracle no critter nor human got hurt that night.

I know I am getting old. Just telling these stories, I was thinking in my head, man those were the good ol' days.

God damn it....it is happening.

Big Lew
08-20-2016, 10:31 AM
My count now is 28 with my homemade live traps, and 2 that made the mistake
of attacking my dog and me. Most were caught with either peanut butter, marshmallows,
raw eggs, or a combination of them. Cat or dog food works very well but I was catching
too many cats with it. Haven't tried the dog biscuits...might give them a try.
Jim, as for not catching more, are you washing off the 'scared' scent on your trap after
releasing them? I have far greater success by doing this when trapping either coons or rats.

birdee
08-20-2016, 05:02 PM
28 you sure your not trapping the same coon's
better gps them buggers or one way trip