PDA

View Full Version : Salt Spring Deer!

wetcoaster
06-20-2007, 01:24 AM
I was wondering if anyone hunts Salt Spring?

I saw a few of the biggest coastal black-tail bucks I have seen in some time (especally nice thick deer considering we are talking about the islands) in full velvet while I was working over there last week. There was deer everywhere and a number of nice bucks I was spooking them out of their beds all over the place.

Looks like a private land nightmare but the only no shooting area looks like the area around ganges?

boxhitch
06-20-2007, 06:32 AM
May only be urban myth :) but I hear the venison from Salt Spring is preseasoned naturally through the eating of special herbs growing there ;). Like the Lamb from there. Mmmm.

BearSniper
06-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Saltspring

I think just like Bowen island, theres lots of deer. Why not use a bow ?

The regs say you can take anterless. Due likely to the lack of natural preadtors such as wolves etc.

Does it seem there's too many of them ?

steel_ram
06-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Looks like a private land nightmare but the only no shooting area looks like the area around ganges?

The only people against hunting are the new generation of Islanders who are ex or partime urbanites, including a few anti-everything celebretes. Most of the people who have lived there long enough are well aware of the overpopulated, tick infested deer. They're are sick of having gardens raided and replacing fenders and bumpers on their cars.

Some forest land was huntable up on Mt Bruce/Tiam area but the land owners have started to crack down.

wetcoaster
06-20-2007, 04:50 PM
I was on salt spring working in the bush again this morning and saw another nice buck my trigger finger is itching boys. This might be the excuse I need to get into bow hunting.

You mention people who seem to be against everything and new urbanites moving to the islands and replacing the old guard Please Say It Isn't So! I like to call them C.A.V.E. people, Citizens Against Virtually Everything. I have posted all this and much more before but hey why not again. The irony of these people is incredible.

Typically they are vegans that eat ice cream (do they not know it comes from the " Bad" steroid injected maltreated cows that they claim to be boycotting?). They are rampant animal rights activists that wear leather shoes and keep their carpet rat punt me dogs cooped up in one bedroom closets all day only to take them out to crap on pavement every night. They are against all resource use including mining while wearing enough metal in their face that you could pick them up on radar. They are completely against forestry but live in wood structures, play kumbaya on wood guitars and spread leaflets with various environmental causes written on them in toxic ink. Someone should really tell them that paper is made of wood.

These are the same folks that say "Your a biologist and you hunt? You should really know better." I was told this today on Salt Spring! These are the folks that are adamant that we should base our environmental policy on their opinion as they obviously know more than those who actually spend time in wild lands and those who have spent their entire careers training and working toward looking after natural habitats and the wildlife they support based on actual science

I better stop there : )

boxhitch
06-20-2007, 06:10 PM
play kumbaya on wood guitars

Some take up drumming, banging out the tune on an animal hide !.

fuzzwilkens
08-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Did anyone get out to Salt Spring last season? It does seem like a private land nightmare but there must be some land-owners that are open to it?