PDA

View Full Version : single Dad with 2 kids, tips to find an elk.....

thepitchedlink
08-17-2016, 10:26 AM
So, the quick story is that I've recently lost my wife and now am the sole parent for 2 little kids (3 and 6). Yes it's about as rotten a thing that could happen to a family, but that's the way it is and there's nothing I can do about it except keep on going....so that 's what I'm doing. I'm not looking for the sympathy vote here or honey holes, just ideas to keep the hunting life going.
I've yet to drop and elk, chased them a few times so getting better at calling and figuring out where they live. But now I'm going to be doing it with 2 little partners with me most of the time....leaving them with family is not really an option and I want them with me most of the time anyway.
The advantage I have is that I'm not working right now and they are young, so they can miss school for a bit. So I can take off anywhere at anytime for a bit and go camping with them....but where to go?
Im not stuck on a 6pt monster...last thing I need is one of those dead 2 miles from the truck....A cow or spike or 3pt is just fine, a proper 6pt would be epic. I've got some friends in Fernie that say they can hook me up with some hunting folk there and show me around....I've not been hunting in the EK yet, always seems like such a busy gong show there, not sure I want to deal with it with 2 little ones...but there would be more to do there if the hunting goes south or the weather turns bad....
Or can go up north to 7b , more liberal regs, less sever terrain , but still sounds really busy with all the oil/gas going on...
I'm going to have to stick close to roads, that's just a given. I can hike a bit with them, carry the little guy , the 6 year old can hike a bit.

So, what to do? where would you guys suggest if it was you? East or North

Ourea
08-17-2016, 10:43 AM
If someone doesn't jump on this and help a brother out......best give ur head a shake

(not quite understanding of the cow/spike/3 point comment as GOS is 6 point only)

Im not a reg 4 guy or I would b on this and support like white on rice

Darksith
08-17-2016, 10:44 AM
I have 2 little ones...I can't imagine taking them Hunting yet...basically the same age. They can't sit still or be quiet. As much as I can't wait to take them I know it's just not time yet. Road Hunting sure, but trying to still hunt or hike with them just isn't a serious option yet. I applaud you for thinking about trying but are you really being realistic? Head north and road hunt for a cow or find a farmer (good luck there). Although I hunt the EK also and I see 6 points get dropped by road hunters

bigneily
08-17-2016, 11:09 AM
East koot way sept 10-19 is spike bull under 1100 metres and this covers a lot of area anything bigger than a spike has to be a 6 . There is no more gos for antlerless without a draw here anyways , I should say unless you are a archery hunter if so ? sept 1 to 19 for antlerless cow/calf under 1100 meter. And again with archery tackle its any bull from sept 1-9. Not sure if this helps ? I have heard good things about the elk numbers up north also and would not be afraid to try there either , Lots of pressure here in the koots due alot to population base I think . Our numbers this way have been on the decline for the past few years also, Some will argue this for sure.

thepitchedlink
08-17-2016, 11:09 AM
(not quite understanding of the cow/spike/3 point comment as GOS is 6 point only)

I'm referring to the fact that there is cow/spike/3pt opportunities up in 7b, but is it worth it to go that far.....

thepitchedlink
08-17-2016, 11:12 AM
I have 2 little ones...I can't imagine taking them Hunting yet...basically the same age. They can't sit still or be quiet. As much as I can't wait to take them I know it's just not time yet. Road Hunting sure, but trying to still hunt or hike with them just isn't a serious option yet. I applaud you for thinking about trying but are you really being realistic? Head north and road hunt for a cow or find a farmer (good luck there). Although I hunt the EK also and I see 6 points get dropped by road hunters

No, not really realistic, but I won't find one sitting at home......like I said, I'm not working, and can go any time....if I sit at home and hunt local that will be fine, but I'll go nuts not at least trying.....gone nuts enough this year as it is....

bigneily
08-17-2016, 11:12 AM
I cannot help with the cow/spike/3pt up north either , Not familiar with that neck of the woods .

thepitchedlink
08-17-2016, 11:15 AM
East koot way sept 10-19 is spike bull under 1100 metres and this covers a lot of area anything bigger than a spike has to be a 6 . There is no more gos for antlerless without a draw here anyways , I should say unless you are a archery hunter if so ? sept 1 to 19 for antlerless cow/calf under 1100 meter. And again with archery tackle its any bull from sept 1-9. Not sure if this helps ? I have heard good things about the elk numbers up north also and would not be afraid to try there either , Lots of pressure here in the koots due alot to population base I think . Our numbers this way have been on the decline for the past few years also, Some will argue this for sure.

I was thinking of coming for the archery season, but I think that super unrealistic that I could get close enough with the bow with the kids around....I'll hunt local with them for a deer and introduce them to sitting still, they both shoot bows now so the interest is there.....

bighornbob
08-17-2016, 11:28 AM
I would help you out if I could but I don't really know of any good elk spots although I have heard of guys living in Lumby shooting elk there.

Like Darksith mentioned I could not imagine hunting with kids that young other then road hunting. If it was for a whitey doe I would say go for it you have a pretty good chance. But road hunting for an elk are two different things.

With you not working, I would save money trying to go get an elk somewhere and all the gas you would spend driving around and buy beef locally from a rancher if its for the meat. If its to kill an elk just because you never have, I personally would put that on the back burner for a few years once the kids are older. If its to get the kids out hunting etc lots of evening deer hunts could be done locally for the price of one tank of gas to get up north or to the koots.

BHB

thepitchedlink
08-17-2016, 11:33 AM
I would help you out if I could but I don't really know of any good elk spots although I have heard of guys living in Lumby shooting elk there.

BHB

We do have a few elk here....but few and far between, but it can be done, and I will try. Just wondering if a trip somewhere else might be worth it. thanks for the ideas

08-17-2016, 11:34 AM
I fired you a pm.... with a different sort of idea....

Jrax
08-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Very sorry to hear about your wife and I think its a great idea that you are going to get outside, your kids probably need it as much as you do considering what your family is going through.

7B isn't my home region but I would not hesitate to take my kids for a "camping trip" up to peace for chance at elk and with deer tags in pocket. I would put most focus on making the kids as comfortable as possible and have fun, if you get an animal is a bonus and if possible pack a trailer or rent a small cabin. I take my kids 4 and 5 out setting up game cams, firewood, fishing and grouse hunts they love it all and are great. I don't plan long walk hunts but do take them down trails 1km or 2km max. I also bring the ipad in an emergency for them to play games..... easy to buy yourself an hour or two with that. Pack some fun or favorite snacks and lunches and tell them ok... were going to hunt for a 3 hours then make a campfire and roast marshmellows or smokies etc. Another great way to entertain is bring skittles or smarties and for every animal they spot they get a treat. I do 2 skittles for each deer, moose, elk and bear. Rarer animals are 10 etc. We saw a Kermode bear once and they each got a whole pack lol. Now they cant wait to go for a drive. (maybe can bribe them with treats too to be quiet when you are walking and calling? ... worth a try).

Anyway, point is It can be fun if you make it about the kids first especially at those ages. Road hunting with short walks in the forest, up a small grassy hill or a cutblock in the peace you have decent chance at harvesting an animal. Calling as you go is probably more interesting for the kids then just being quiet all the time. Another thought.... what about giving your kids a hoochie mama call or similar to assist you? if possible, that would be fun for them. Picking berries and fishing during the mid day between morning and evening hunt are a good bet as well.

I wish you luck. Stay strong and hope you get out there.

Oh and I wouldn't stress about all the talk about oil and gas and other hunters and how busy it is.... you will always find a spot or area, there are endless cutlines, trails and roads to check out. Nothing wrong with bumping into hunters and having a quick BS or even meeting another family or dad with kids out there. Easy to move to another spot with your truck, your still hunting between spots for the most part too.

bigredchev
08-17-2016, 11:49 AM
I'll pm you with what little info I do have of chetwynd area.ill send it tonight

moosinaround
08-17-2016, 12:11 PM
PM me please. Moosin

Darksith
08-17-2016, 12:13 PM
No, not really realistic, but I won't find one sitting at home......like I said, I'm not working, and can go any time....if I sit at home and hunt local that will be fine, but I'll go nuts not at least trying.....gone nuts enough this year as it is....

I wasn't saying don't go...just keep your expectations realistic. I love road hunting with my boys...I call it a safe road and I let them unbuckle as we creep down the road trying to get them to be interested in spotting animals

Wentrot
08-17-2016, 12:16 PM
If I had half a clue about hunting elk I'd help you out right away-but alas, I don't know squat.

Dash
08-17-2016, 01:31 PM
I know you're not looking for sympathy as you said and I'm sure you've heard this enough times but I am very sorry for your loss. My heart aches for you and your family. If I wasn't a new hunter and had a clue what I was doing, I would help you in a heart beat. Best of luck and I applaud you for trying to get out there regardless especially with the kids.

thepitchedlink
08-17-2016, 01:54 PM
I know you're not looking for sympathy as you said and I'm sure you've heard this enough times but I am very sorry for your loss. My heart aches for you and your family. If I wasn't a new hunter and had a clue what I was doing, I would help you in a heart beat. Best of luck and I applaud you for trying to get out there regardless especially with the kids.

Thanks Dash. Ya, life sucks some times, this sure is one of those. But my wife would be pretty pissed with me if I just sat at home and sulked. I need to get out and away and my kids need to do stuff and have adventures. Iv'e had quite a number of PM's from guys and I thank you all.....HBC is a super site and full of decent folks....I'll repay some of this kindness later down the track..

warren0427
08-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Check your inbox

walks with deer
08-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Looks like you got tones of advice pm me if you need any more...

When it comes to dad and hunting I have harvested numerous animals with my kids through ought there life... just teach them to listen I have harvested with the kids on foot and truck my dad raised me and my sister beside him...and some times kids that are really into it will spot something you would not have seen.

Weatherby Fan
08-17-2016, 05:04 PM
I've hunted with them in diapers and every year since, when there that age it's nothing more than a camping trip if your on your own, my brother and I would take turns with the kids that way one of us could get out for a few hours on your own,

If you can russle up a hunting buddy/family member to go along would be best,
I will caution you that most little kids do not like the surprise of a rifle report, I know from experience !!!! Be careful how young you introduce them to that.

Good luck with your hunt, sorry I can't help out more.

thepitchedlink
08-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like the EK is going to win here. Got some good info and even touched base with a friends of my wives' that lives that way and she's offered to help with the kiddlets....might introduce me to a local or 2 as well....so sounds like the smartest bet

Eva_Hunts
08-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Good luck out there!

Weatherby Fan
08-17-2016, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like the EK is going to win here. Got some good info and even touched base with a friends of my wives' that lives that way and she's offered to help with the kiddlets....might introduce me to a local or 2 as well....so sounds like the smartest bet

There you go, sounds like your on the right track, I will say the kids will never forget spending that time hunting/camping with you, our kids are mid twenties now and we have so many stories and laughs about past hunting seasons at family get togethers its not funny.......not to mention talking and planning about next season !!

.264winmag
08-17-2016, 06:35 PM
There's a 6X6 up the mtn behind my house with your name on it. My wife can watch the rugrats, we'll be home for breakfast opening day. I'll let you know this Sept once I'm home on his antler progress:D

Ferenc
08-17-2016, 06:57 PM
^^^^^^^ Awesome !! ^^^^^^^

RiverOtter
08-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Just about puked reading your post John, I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

I've shot 2 elk within an hour of your house and your free to all I know. I'll compose a pm with my best spots. Might not be as easy as the EK, but they're close and there's no such thing as too many hunting spots.

I had my youngest daughter in tow for my second and biggest bull at 4 1/2 years old. I've done diapers and baby food on tonnes of hunts. I swear God shines down on people who make the time/effort to take little kids hunting, shot my biggest black bear ever with our oldest when she was just shy of 2. I used to laugh walking down a bear road, following her in the brightest orange Baby GAP hoodie you've ever seen. Anywho, like you said, you got zero chance shooting an elk sitting at home.

RiverOtter
08-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Well look at that, Derek just cut your travel time in half. Still sending you more spots, for future pursuits...

albravo2
08-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Pitched,

I raised my two boys myself from 2 and 4 years old until 11 and 13, until I met my lovely present wife. Kids I can handle, elk have proven more difficult.

PM if you get enough hunting advice and need some parenting advice. You are definitely on the right track wanting to bring them with you, some road hunting with a DVD playing in the back seat can be a lot of fun.

For what its worth, my kids have turned out great. Two great parents is ideal, one is completely adequate.

Best wishes.

thepitchedlink
08-17-2016, 07:53 PM
There's a 6X6 up the mtn behind my house with your name on it. My wife can watch the rugrats, we'll be home for breakfast opening day. I'll let you know this Sept once I'm home on his antler progress:D

Hahah!!! now we're talking , that would be fun...we both know there are a few around here

thepitchedlink
08-17-2016, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=RiverOtter;1808547]Just about puked reading your post John, I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

Sorry Otter, lost touch with you since you left the big smoke....I've been too busy the last while to communicate with many people. Appreciate the help, we might actually get to have that beer now that I actually have some free time.....I'll be out scouting local with week I hope if I can get my Sidekick replaced in time....

HarryToolips
08-17-2016, 09:38 PM
My condolences to you for your loss...I'm an elk hunting newb, so anyone with experience feel free to correct me here, but you don't have to be super quiet in the bush with em elk huntin (it's not like your still hunting whitetail)..just tell em that you all want to sound like a herd of elk, I'm sure they'll have fun doing that - do the odd bugle, have a couple hoochie mamas, show em how to use em, thrash some bush like a bull elk does, and as previously pointed out, please have a hunting partner with ya to help keep ya all safe from any preds...I find with my little guy (3 years old), not super long hikes, followed by drives (where he might nap anyway), followed by another shorter hike keeps him entertained..

Elkchaser
08-17-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm in the Kimberley area, moved here last year but getting to know some ground around here. Been chasing elk over 20 hrs and have 3 youngsters. Bull I took 2 falls ago was with my oldest who was 7 at the time. Feel free to PM me if your around this part of the EK. I'll be 'disconnected' from 19-30th hunting up north, but local after that.

08-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Good luck man, it will be tough but it will be fun.
i wish you the best.

thepitchedlink
09-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Off we go to the EK tomorrow!!! Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement

Rattler
09-13-2016, 09:59 PM
All the best, hope you have a great hunt.

Cow call and be ready for bulls coming in quiet.

Arctic Lake
09-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Yes all the best to you ! Have a safe time out there !
Arctic Lake

ASPEN
09-14-2016, 06:59 AM
If someone doesn't jump on this and help a brother out......best give ur head a shake

Im not a reg 4 guy or I would b on this and support like white on rice
7b has cow /3pt openings

thepitchedlink
09-21-2016, 02:40 PM
Well, we're back. Great time but no elk in the cooler. Met a great new hunting partner/friend who showed me around and we did some hiking, but the bulls just where not talking yet....ran into a bunch the first morning, but couldn't find any others. Managed to put a nice 3pt WT in the box, so at least we came home with meat. who knows. might head back down again before the season ends and will keep snooping around here as well.
Kids had fun and was a good time, thanks for all the encouragement

09-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Did you go with a member?

HarryToolips
09-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Hey congrats, putting meat in the freezer while having the kids with ya ain't easy, and a good time to boot..