PDA

View Full Version : what to put in a deer feeder??

itsy bitsy xj
08-15-2016, 11:44 PM
Does any one here use a feeder? What do you put in it? Where do you get it? I just pick up a feeder on sale at Cab. in Abby. Don't know if I'll use for hunting but I do wanna use it for another project.

If you're gonna tell me that baiting deer in is uncool, unethical and I shouldn't do it save your breath. I don't need a lecture thanks

Mosin
08-16-2016, 12:21 AM
U can make with pvc pipe about 5 ft tall with 6" diameter pipe. Strap vertically to a tree with a tee at the bottom blocked on one side. Just pour oats in from the top and use an end cap on the top so rain doesnt get in. Maybe bury some salt a couple inches umder the ground in front of the feeder so they paw around trying to get the salt which is mixing into the ground. I never done it myself but have youtubed it in places where its legal.

digger dogger
08-16-2016, 12:23 AM
C.o.b.....

ruger#1
08-16-2016, 12:37 AM
C.O.B. is Rolled Corn, Oats, and Barley. Do not get it with molasses. Or you will have fun with bears.

Surrey Boy
08-16-2016, 12:41 AM
I'd suggest talking to a dairy farmer, asking him to sell you some feed mulch, alfalfa and distiller's grain would be a good bet, maybe with a cobalt block underneath the hopper. Spice it up with a little sea salt and calcium chloride. What kind of capacity and schedule are we looking at?

ruger#1
08-16-2016, 12:54 AM
Distillers grain is garbage. GSPs grain screening pellets would be better. I work in a feed mill. I would also use water softener salts. And alfalfa cubes. Blacktails I have found. Are not much into alfalfa.

Surrey Boy
08-16-2016, 01:00 AM
I stand corrected.

What kind of budget are you on?

kevan
08-16-2016, 01:46 AM
Just buy a salt block like for cattle, they can't resist.
If you want to find deer where cattle pasture they will be not far from the salt licks.

ruger#1
08-16-2016, 03:28 AM
If you're gonna tell me that bailing deer in is uncool, unethical and I shouldn't do it save your breath. I don't need a lecture thanks I have never seen a deer in a bail before. That might be cool. I have seen birds, mice ,And some rattle snakes in bails.

itsy bitsy xj
08-16-2016, 09:15 AM
I have never seen a deer in a bail before. That might be cool. I have seen birds, mice ,And some rattle snakes in bails.

HaHaHa Typo fixed...thank you

itsy bitsy xj
08-16-2016, 09:19 AM
C.O.B. is Rolled Corn, Oats, and Barley. Do not get it with molasses. Or you will have fun with bears.

Yeah I had some concern about bears

I stand corrected.

What kind of budget are you on?

I haven't really thought about budget, I figured bags of feed usually run $12-$20. I just wanted to get something that would work well. I was thinking chicken scratch with corn.

bigneily
08-16-2016, 09:35 AM
I have heard of guys using peas , Gonna try some different stuff also . After the damn cattle are off the range .

Ourea
08-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Ive used a couple different programmable feeders.
I would strongly recommend that you mix in some corn with whatever grain or feed u use.

Moisture will enter ur feeder causing grains to stick together and create clogging.
The "bulk" that corn provides will mitigate the problem.

Oh, ..........and bears loooovvvve feeders no matter what u put in them

yota
08-16-2016, 09:49 AM
i use cracked corn in my pvc gravity feeders and they seem to work really well. ill have the same bucks coming in 3-4 times trough out a single day on my cameras. the elk seem to really like it as well. I also do a salt area about 5 yrds away from the feed it seems to draw different animals at different times which makes sense some want food and others want minerals.

shottyshooter
08-16-2016, 01:44 PM
Last year I put a game cam up on a mineral block and sprinkled water softener salts all into the ground and around it. Then on the tree I put up a PVC feeder and got COB with molasses into it. For good measure I dropped a bail of alfalfa too. This was last September in 5-1

results: Bears have been in the area but not on my game cam. The alfalfa was completely ignored by deer but in Jan/Feb some moose started coming through for it and have returned to the lick many times. A couple deer were at the COB for a few minutes but primarily use the lick. The birds and chipmunks send their regards and thanked me for the COB that they devoured on 100's of game cam pics LOL!

i left the feeder empty and the ungulates have consistently returned for the lick when it was all that was out there. I've re-filled the feeder with COB a month ago and will see if the deer care about it this time.

walks with deer
08-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Yota is lying he just sits at a table between the bar and the women's washroom that's the only baiting he does.

wrenchhead
08-16-2016, 03:48 PM
If watched elk tear into bails. Didn't seem to want to just eat it, they had to smash it with there front hooves first.

Bugle M In
08-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Yota is lying he just sits at a table between the bar and the women's washroom that's the only baiting he does.

Work Smarter!, Not Harder!.....sounds like Yota has some wisdom there! always the best spot in the bar to meet every woman.

walks with deer
08-16-2016, 05:11 PM
I know I am just pissed he stole my moose tags.....lol just kidding...

He knows my deer bait is a half acre I burnt myself in February and seeded with white clover.

The deer are actually rubbing on my 3d target with arrows hanging out of it...

I know his feeder is beside his target aswell.

ruger#1
08-16-2016, 05:12 PM
If you guys buy COB. Check it before you use it for mold. It is all steam rolled. Sure it has mold inhibitors sprayed on it. But they break down. I have had more luck with water softener salt. Then using the mineral blocks. There is a rock on the ground where I do hunt that the deer are digging up. I dug around it. Couldn't find anything. Filled it back in. The next day. Deer tracks all around it.

walks with deer
08-16-2016, 05:18 PM
My best lick was doing great until a cat killed a deer in it...

Not sure how to deter that other than shooting

My camera was out when this happened but turns out I set the camera wrong and got 2000 pictures of my own but..what does hunter 1947 use.

walks with deer
08-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Who am I kidding he's probably our topping up feeders.

yota
08-16-2016, 10:30 PM
How did you know and thanks for giving away my secret baiting method

shortrange
08-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Head over to Otter Bay Co Op and get a bag of COB and a mineral block. It isn't wrong and the deer will thank you for the snacks :)

Sitkaspruce
08-17-2016, 08:17 PM
Salt with trace mineral is all you need until winter sets in.

Just remember that introducing a "food" that deer/elk normally don't eat will take them time to find and actually eat it. Apples are one that I find most deer ignore and bears eat right away. I add all our vegetable garden plants to the mix about now and they love the peas, but it does take them about a week before they really start in on them.

I have tried lots of different "foods" over the last 4 years and until mid/late October, salt (at least 99.7%+ pure) works the best. I have switched to range salt this year with cobalt or selenium as it is a fine salt that is absorbed into the ground and makes a long lasting "lick". I add a brick size blue or brown salt block to the mix as well. I switch to barley or oats after the bears head to bed. This year I am trying a few different agriculture "foods" to see what they prefer. I set up three different food sources at one cam last night and will see what happens in a couple weeks.

Cheers

SS