PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies in Squamish

Byson
06-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Squamish had a Grizz a few months ago downtown, now Squamish has 2 more Grizzlies around 12 mile in the upper Squamish. there are lots of people that live around that area. its wierd i have only seen one Grizz and that was at 30mile years ago and i am from Squamish. Maybe the Co's should think about a leh tag or two

lapadat
06-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Byson,

Lets keep things in perspective here.

99% of the time the Bear is NOT the problem, it is the people. Most bears that become problems are simply a result of being conditioned to non-natural food sources. ie. Garbage. I don't disagree with Grizzly bear hunting (I am waiting for an LEH draw myself), however, there is no where NEAR the Grizz numbers in the Squamish area to support a hunt, LEH or otherwise. Besides, killing a few bears up there wouldn't necessary prevent other bears from becoming habituated to human food sources. People need to be educated or ticketed. CO's can write tickets now for feeding bears or allowing bears to get into garbage etc. I believe it is $345 for the first offence.

I've posted these before but here are a couple GBears from the Squamish area - taken last summer.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_480.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2787&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=847)

CanuckShooter
06-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Squamish had a Grizz a few months ago downtown, now Squamish has 2 more Grizzlies around 12 mile in the upper Squamish. there are lots of people that live around that area. its wierd i have only seen one Grizz and that was at 30mile years ago and i am from Squamish. Maybe the Co's should think about a leh tag or two

Thats what happens when you have too many bears...they migrate into unoccupied areas. Just goes to prove the grizzly isn't a threatened species. The leh idea is sound also...as a hunted population becomes more wary of humans.

MichelD
06-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I've never really understood the theory on how a hunted population becomes more wary of humans.

If we hunt something, we see it, then we kill it don't we?

How does that animal become more wary?

Iron-Head
06-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Its the guys with bad aim that scare them off.:)

Gateholio
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
I said a few yars ago that we will see grizzlies in the North Shore mountians wihtin 5-10 years, and I don't think I am wrong.

The grizz population around here is increasing, sightings are more and more frequent.

I odn't know if wildlife that is hunted gets more wary of hunters, but certainly they are more wary of humans when there are large numbers of them in the bush.

Hunting bears (black or grizz) is a good thing when it comes to keeping them out of human populations, because it makes more room for the younger, smaller bears. Most "problem" bears are younger ones, unable to compete wihtdominat bears for natural food sources.

Ther eused to be a grizz LEH in Pemberton, and less than 10 years ago there was one in Goldbridge area, too. Grizz are seen frequentlyi Goldbidge these days, but no LEH.

greasysidedown
06-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I believe that bears have personalities like humans. Some are aggresive, some are more timid. Its the aggresive daytime bears that get taken out first.

CanuckShooter
06-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I've never really understood the theory on how a hunted population becomes more wary of humans.

If we hunt something, we see it, then we kill it don't we?

How does that animal become more wary?

All it takes is a little observation of wildlife behaviour. Compare a Jasper elk/deer/sheep to one you see outside of the park...and you will observe a very different reaction to humans being in close proximity.

It's not a theory...it's a fact.:)

tooty
06-22-2007, 05:14 PM
It's them whiskey drinkin' bears ya hafta your eyeballs on.Thems the ones that get right ornary.Critters always know when someones a out to eat them.Gets them all jittery like.

ohno
06-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I said a few yars ago that we will see grizzlies in the North Shore mountians wihtin 5-10 years, and I don't think I am wrong.

You are not wrong. I believe there are some Griz living at the top of Grouse Mt. :)

Mr. Dean
06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
All it takes is a little observation of wildlife behaviour. Compare a Jasper elk/deer/sheep to one you see outside of the park...and you will observe a very different reaction to humans being in close proximity.

It's not a theory...it's a fact.:)

Good point.

MichelD
06-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Agreed. A population harassed by people and dogs, not necessarily hunters becomes more wary. Try to find an wild animal in Manning Park or the Lynn Headwaters trail.

Deer_Slayer
10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
West coast forest is pretty dam thick and rugged and not surprising you could live a lifetime around here and never see a grizzly bear. I hunted extensively in East Kootenay with many Grizz around and didn't actually see one for a long time. They are increasing and moving back into areas that they left long ago.

reach
10-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Geez Deer_Slayer, what's up with bumping all the old grizzly threads? This one's from 2007. Doing some grizzly research? :D

Amphibious
10-24-2011, 06:59 AM
you sir are a liar. there are no Grizz around Squamish. the GREAT BEAR RAINFOREST is empty. the Spirit of the Coast, known by the evil pale faces as Grizzly, is all but extinct.

Toronto newspapers and David Suzuki told me so.

;)

lovemywinchester
10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Grizzly habitat was and is an issue in the Callaghan valley before the Olympics. Someone just posted that vid of a Grizz fishing on the Pitt. My buddy saw a grizz a few weeks ago near Red lake near Kamloops. I saw a grizz near Lillooet when gold panning and one at Plateau lake a few years ago. Sounds like they are doing ok to me!

Deer_Slayer
10-14-2013, 04:43 PM
lol..yeah I guess so. I just enter grizzly in the search box and read the stories. Never looked at the dates. Thanks for a good chuckle

SPEYMAN
10-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Read the Dates and you will be ROTF now.(To be continued in a few years.)

brutus
10-14-2013, 08:20 PM
there has been grizz in the squamish valley for number of years,there was 3 of them feeding on salmon one morning when i use to fish up that way that was in the early 90

EvanG
10-14-2013, 09:09 PM
theres a few grizz in squamish forsure, saw fresh tracks on a moose kill back in april and more tracks in a totally diff valley in sept. Id say there doing alright.

RB2
10-16-2013, 10:00 AM
There are more here than people think.

280 77
10-16-2013, 07:02 PM
I grew up in Squamish and there have always been griz there . As Gatehouse stated the population is probably increasing and with the increased amount of people now venturing into the back 40 in that area , there will be an increase in sightings.

Deer_Slayer
12-20-2015, 01:20 PM
lol yes actually. Love to read and hear about Grizzmonkeys!

Hublocker
12-20-2015, 05:44 PM
2007 called.

They want their thread back.