PDA

View Full Version : Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy one ton diesels

knothead
08-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Time for a new truck. Currently I'm driving a 96 diesel f250 and it's time to trade up. Specifically looking at newer one ton diesel full size crew cab pickups and wondering about any known issues with these trucks...say 2012 up to 2017.

albravo2
08-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Love my Ford. Great power, great fit and finish, decent ride.

I've owned two since 2012 and neither has disappointed.

Surrey Boy
08-15-2016, 02:49 PM
How much are you asking for your 96?

knothead
08-15-2016, 02:56 PM
Surrey Boy not sure I'm going to sell it yet, I may have to keep it until I can buy a new camper as the old camper won't fit the new truck. I will be looking for around $6500 for it when it goes though.

knothead
08-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Another question I have is would anyone recommend a good dealer? I haven't had to deal with a car lot for about 12 years so have no idea where to start.

tikkahunter
08-15-2016, 03:11 PM
2015 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax diesel. Allison tranny is awesome. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. I pull 13000lbs all summer long.

Ron Gerbrandt at Mertin GM in Chilliwack. By all my vehicles from him. No BS kinda guy.

ruger#1
08-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Get a hold of Auto girl on this site. She can hook you up. She is also a site sponsor.

khoffnbud
08-15-2016, 04:17 PM
If it were me, i'd be looking for an 06/07 cummins, or anything pre emissions bs

knothead
08-15-2016, 04:24 PM
Re pre emissions: nope. Looking for a new truck with very low to zero kms. on it this will be my last truck before retirement then I will trade in for a new one. I'm just tired of having to drive the older beater even though they are great trucks it's time to spoil myself and get a full load luxury ride :-D

Ronforca
08-15-2016, 04:28 PM
I have the 07 Laramie 1 ton with the big back seat. Pull an old heavy 30 ft. fifth wheel and nothing passes ma on the hills. Pretty good on fuel also 'It has the last of the5.9 Cummins with a programmer giving it supposedly an extra 100 hp.Really like my truck.

takla1
08-15-2016, 04:29 PM
If it were me, i'd be looking for an 06/07 cummins, or anything pre emissions bs
I will second that but you could include the 05 as well.I bought my 05'dodge ram diesel extended cab 4x4 after 2 ford diesels earlier.My only repair in 11 yrs is a right hub replacement and water pump.Its got the 6 speed manual and the truck has crazy torque.Nice interior as well
I believe the 05 had the 100,000 power train warrenty at the time.
It averages 24 mpg and will climb jackass mnt in 6th gear with loaded camper/trailer and quads without gearing down..

takla

Frango
08-15-2016, 04:30 PM
I have a 07 Cummins 4 door long box with the old engine. I love the truck. I think they all are worth a look..Find a deal. Make sure the truck fits your needs and pay the money.They all have some kind of issue sooner or later, although GM trucks seem more troublesome at the moment. Good luck.

Just
08-15-2016, 05:29 PM
I drive a 06 gmc 3500 and I bought it 2 years ago with 197000km on her. She drives great and hauls my camper loaded up the coq with ease, I love it. I have only had to replace a few front end parts since she's lifted, but other than that I think she's broken in!

kevan
08-15-2016, 05:39 PM
I guess mine is the museum piece of this thread, a 1992 Dually 4X4, 12-valve, 5sp.
230000 km. just ticks along while the newer and faster hum by.
Its never let me down, will be my last truck for sure...

knothead
08-15-2016, 06:05 PM
I appreciate all of the comments from you guys about your beloved older trucks as I drive one myself, 96 power stroke with 431,000 kms it starts and drives every where I need it to go but I'm really looking to spoil myself with a new truck(never had one and I can afford it now so going for it) and am looking for any red flags on the 2012 and newer one tons. I believe the new motors in all of the trucks have now been out long enough to have shown there true colours so thats why I'm asking.

Sportster
08-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Go online and check out the new Ford 2017 F 250 and 350, there being rebuild from the ground up. The platinum and King Ranch look awesome. wish I had the money to buy one but I don't so all I can do is drull. I'll be retiring in the next two or three years and I'm going to buy either a Z71 diesel Colorado or a Nissan Frontier diesel. those are my two dream trucks.

scoutlt1
08-15-2016, 06:33 PM
I don't own a diesel truck, and am not looking to buy one. At work however, I'm closely involved with heavy equipment purchases (read diesel powered).

My only "contribution" to this thread would be to stay away from anything that involves DEF fluid. Personally I think it's a joke and a "scam"....and I've found there are few people in the heavy equipment (diesel) sales and service industry that think it will last.

Just my 2 measly pennies though....

BromBones
08-15-2016, 06:47 PM
I own 2 6.7L Cummins, an '08 3500 and a '12 3500. We also run a fleet of 6.7 Cummins as service trucks at work.

The '12 and older dump fuel in the exhaust to burn out the soot can (DPF) when needed. Makes them burn a little more fuel and they need to be worked hard to keep the DPF clean. Idling for long periods is a big no-no, as is working them hard before they are up to operating temp. I installed the EGR and DPF delete kit on my '12 and programmed it for fuel economy. No issues, great fuel economy, and gobs of torque. With the emissions gone they are like a 5.9 on steroids and have very few issues. If you don't do the deletes, expect to change an EGR cooler and valve at some point.

My '08 is stock and gets 24 mpg empty. Once I do the same deletes I expect around 27.

The '13 and up Cummins use Diesel Exhaust Fluid to clean the soot can. Kind of a pain, but makes for better fuel economy.

If you keep them serviced (fuel filters and good quality fuel are especially important) the only issues you have are minor things like water pump and belt tensioners. There are 6.7L Cummins running around up over the 700,000 km mark that have never had major repairs.

The automatic transmissions are generally solid. Running them in Tow/haul mode is a good thing, as is manually locking them down to 3rd or 4th gear in town. Some that are abused or tow really really heavy will burn out the O/D clutches or torque converter.

Beaverhunter
08-15-2016, 07:24 PM
I have a 2012 cummins it was a little hard on fuel when I got it but took all the emissions stuff off and chipped it now the fuel mileage is good. I love the truck the fit and finish is awesome I have zero complaints about the truck. I have had two fords that are company vehicles first one was a 2012 that I put 160,000 hard km on that truck with zero problems and my new ones is a 2015. The Ford diesels are quiet and have lots of power and the mileage is good. But if I had to buy a new truck tomorrow I would buy another Dodge. :)

Downwindtracker2
08-16-2016, 07:48 AM
If you check factory engine rebuild recommendations , you'll get a pretty good idea of the quality of the design and build. Ainsin transmissions are pretty good as well. It took Ford until 2017 to use a fully boxed frame, Chevy had an ad where the Ford buckled and the Chevy didn't. Dodge had them since 2003,so it wasn't shown.

My hunting partner, a die hard Chevy man, had his 2016 dually totalled under him. So needing a truck, he ended up with a 2016 Ram. He found the Ram had a better engine brake, this is a working truck. And get this ! a nicer interior . I had to wipe my boots when I got in his Ram, I never had to do that with his Chevys. These were top of the line leather interiors.

BEAVERBRUCE
08-16-2016, 07:54 AM
x2--------

stan
08-16-2016, 08:29 AM
I don't own a diesel truck, and am not looking to buy one. At work however, I'm closely involved with heavy equipment purchases (read diesel powered).

My only "contribution" to this thread would be to stay away from anything that involves DEF fluid. Personally I think it's a joke and a "scam"....and I've found there are few people in the heavy equipment (diesel) sales and service industry that think it will last.

Just my 2 measly pennies though....
Well, that will leave you very limited options. You must not deal with any newer heavy equipment

Fisher-Dude
08-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Car and Driver ranks as follows:

Rank in Ultra Heavy Duty Pickup Trucks

1. Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD

2. GMC Sierra 3500HD

3. Ford F-350 Super Duty

4. Ram 3500

Surrey Boy
08-16-2016, 03:56 PM
Car & Driver is a shill rag. That rank only proves GMC spent the most on advertising.

stan
08-16-2016, 05:39 PM
That's for sure

BromBones
08-16-2016, 06:21 PM

DEF will be around for a while. It's a better alternative to using fuel doser valves in the exhaust to burn out the particulate filters.

Our service truck fleet and equipment fleet has zero issues with DEF systems in all the Cummins powered stuff. One tank of DEF on my Ram 5500 lasts around 5000 km (depends on driving habits though). The extra cost of the DEF is negated by better fuel economy.

scoutlt1
08-16-2016, 06:37 PM
I'd be more than happy to get proven wrong.
(Yes Stan we do have do have newer heavy equipment fyi...almost all of it Tier4).

I'm sure others are having better experiences (and sounds like it), but we've found more issues/down time with the DEF systems, most especially in our wheel loaders, than anything else.

Only passing on what the dealer mechanics/reps are saying....and throwing it out there! :)

knothead
08-16-2016, 08:05 PM
Well I will be taking a 2016 Dodge Laramie crew cab with the Aisin tranny for a ride on Sat and I'm sure I will be impressed and drooling. Hopefully I can keep the lust out of my eyes so the sales person doesn't take advantage of me :shock:

Mulehahn
08-16-2016, 08:29 PM
I am a Chev guy, but drive Dodge for work. As long as I am the driver (and it pains me to say this) the Dodge is a better truck. That being said, I hate the transmission hump in dodges on the passenger side and hate sitting on the right side for long hours. It may seem small, but I will sometimes have to drive 4 or 5 hours to a job site and it really sucks.

Beaverhunter
08-16-2016, 10:25 PM
Well I will be taking a 2016 Dodge Laramie crew cab with the Aisin tranny for a ride on Sat and I'm sure I will be impressed and drooling. Hopefully I can keep the lust out of my eyes so the sales person doesn't take advantage of me :shock:

Interiors have come along ways I have friends that bought same year Chevys and fords and get in my truck and say how nice it is.

Foxtail
08-17-2016, 06:44 AM
My dad gets a new F-350 diesel Lariat every couple years and they are amazing. Just test drive all three and pick the one you like the most.

Ubertuber
08-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Interiors have come along ways I have friends that bought same year Chevys and fords and get in my truck and say how nice it is.

Give it a couple of years. Dodge has a nice engine, but the interiors of the ones I've been in suck. They rattle a lot, the glove box and drink holders don't align very good after a short period of time. They may have fixed the issue however.
I agree that the size of the transmission hump is a pain on long drives for the passenger, at least it was for me.

OP, enjoy the new truck, whatever you decide to purchase.

Good Old Outdoors
08-17-2016, 02:28 PM
My 07 3500 Cummins with the 5.9 is great, great fuel economy. A cheap programmer will add to power and economy as well. I bought it used, now I have 296000 on it and it's still going strong. I do like the new Chevy but I can never justify paying $80,000 for a truck how I would want it.

recoil
08-18-2016, 04:36 PM
I know a couple of guys that bought super duties from ocean park Ford and got awesome deals, apparently they are highest volume in BC. I got my 2016 f150 from dams, worst dealer ever:oops:

My last truck was a ram I bought new from auto girl, she gave me an awesome deal.

elknut
08-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Takla 1....I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 ..5.9 cummins diesel...You say you can tow a loaded camper /trailer and quads and get 24mpg...I would like to know how you can do that when the truck won't give you 24 miles to the gallon empty...I have the same truck..Is yours a 2500 or 3500..The problem with that year is they don't have hubs that you can lock out the front dif so they can't get much more than 21 0r 22 mpg empty..What's your secret?...Dennis

ACE
08-22-2016, 09:41 PM
Have an '02 Dodge/Cummins ....... 3/4 ton 4x4
It's a 5sp. with a limited slip 3.54 differential.
Edge Juice/Attitude .... mode #3
It will get close to 25 mpg with a quad and gear on board if you keep your foot out of it, but .... travelling at 85k per hour is boring!
What's your 3500 got for gearing elknut ?

Bear Brawler
08-22-2016, 09:44 PM
Wait, the new 2017 SuperDuty is coming in 2-3 months and will be the best truck out there. I'm on the fence about trading in my 2015 F150 for a 2016 F350 but can't pull the trigger knowing the new truck is so close.

elknut
08-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Ace...I've got 3.73 gearing ...Also my truck weighs 3004 kg ..Your 3/4 ton is a lot lighter...My truck is a 3 speed auto with towhaul ..Does the tuner help much?...had a 98 -12 valve that empty gave me an honest 25 mpg hwy .I've noticed a drop in miledge since putting on mudflaps and a headache rack..Other than that I don't put my foot into it..Have driven 100kms /hour and also 108 kms /hr which the later is the most efficient torgue for the engine...According to Cummins..1990rpm..I found I figure my miledge out manually I don't believe the idiot computer overhead..Your thoughts.....Dennis

takla1
08-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Takla 1....I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 ..5.9 cummins diesel...You say you can tow a loaded camper /trailer and quads and get 24mpg...I would like to know how you can do that when the truck won't give you 24 miles to the gallon empty...I have the same truck..Is yours a 2500 or 3500..The problem with that year is they don't have hubs that you can lock out the front dif so they can't get much more than 21 0r 22 mpg empty..What's your secret?...Dennis

No I said it averages 24 m/g{empty}but can climb jackass mnt loaded with camper /trailer in 6sp.When I'm travelling loaded with camper trailer and quads heading up country its more around 17/18 mpg a little better comeing down hill home

takla

knothead
08-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Well thanks for all of the replies to this thread though I have to admit not many of them were very relevant to the original post :smile: I'm flying to Williams Lake tomorrow to pick up my new truck, a 2016 dodge ram Laramie one ton crew cab long box 4x4 with the Aisin transmission(heavy duty) and a full load. The only long box Laramie left in western Canada in the configuration I wanted :D:D:D:D

Buck
08-26-2016, 08:35 PM
Well thanks for all of the replies to this thread though I have to admit not many of them were very relevant to the original post :smile: I'm flying to Williams Lake tomorrow to pick up my new truck, a 2016 dodge ram Laramie one ton crew cab long box 4x4 with the Aisin transmission(heavy duty) and a full load. The only long box Laramie left in western Canada in the configuration I wanted :D:D:D:D

Your going to love it.I have a 2005 one large purchase i have never regretted.

knothead
08-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Cant wait, I'm looking forward to the 5 hr drive back to the coast.

knothead
08-27-2016, 11:09 PM
So here's the new truck, stopped on the Thompson on the way back from Williams lake

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/11woody/IMG_2279.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/11woody/IMG_2278.jpg

Sleep Robber
08-27-2016, 11:23 PM
^^ Nice truck !!

knothead
08-27-2016, 11:40 PM
And a little story to go with it about the Dodge dealer in White Rock. I went in to the dealer a couple of weeks ago to see if they had the truck I was looking for so they did a search and came up with this one but they would have to bring it in.
I told them I was interested but wanted to look around a bit and see if I could find one in the lower mainland but there was none to be had, long box trucks are tough to find here.
Dealership in White Rock says no problems we can bring it in for you, just sign the papers and give us a $1000 deposit and it will be shipped.
Perfect, sign the papers give them the grand shaking of hands and congrats on the purchase of your new truck smiles all around, that was last Sunday.

Thurs get a call from them and I'm thinking their calling to tell me my trucks in which is perfect because I bought a new camper to go with it and this means I will have it into the camper guys and have the belly bars put in and be ready for the long weekend.
When I answer the phone I can tell by the tone of the sales persons voice that somethings wrong and sure enough she proceeds to tell me they may not be able to get the truck because there's already a deal pending on the truck. Well says I, I know there's already a deal pending on this truck and it's mine so you better straighten this out or your dealership just bought themselves a new camper because this camper won't fit on my old truck.

Later that afternoon I went in person to the dealership and talked to the finance guy who approved me for the truck and he told me the truck was sold, again I informed him that there is no chance thats happening because on their word and a signed deal i purchased a new camper and if they didn't deliver me a truck he was going to have a new camper parked in his yard. He told me he would see what he could do.
Later on that day I talked to the general manager of the dealership and he just wanted to ask me some questions about the truck I wanted and about the deal I signed and told me that he was on it and he would do his best to resolve this issue.

Next day back to the dealership to talk to the general manager, he proceeds to tell me that the truck is still for sale but the dealership in Williams lake has no interest in selling it to the White Rock guys but he would be happy to sell it to me personally.

So off I go to WL and purchase myself a new truck after the a-holes in WR told me first there was a deal pending on the truck I wanted and then told me it was sold, two outright lies right to my face that could have possibly meant me not buying a truck this year, hows that for customer service?

A little karma goes a long way though not only did they not get a sale but they did get a lot of bad will from me and hopefully anyone else who reads this and I got the truck for four grand cheaper in WL for the cost of a $200 dollar plane ticket and a very nice break in drive which I thoroughly enjoyed. Oh the dealership also threw in some extras for me that came to about the value of the plane ticket!

knothead
08-27-2016, 11:44 PM
Thanks Sleep Robber! I am thrilled and grinnin ear to ear!

swampthing
08-28-2016, 07:48 AM
New rigs are something we don't get very often. Enjoy that new dodge. What camper you putting on it?

takla1
08-28-2016, 08:31 AM
interesting story Knothead.I bought my first 92' dodge ram clubcab 4x4 from white rock Chrysler and after going over my wants they told me the same thing ,there was nothing in the Vancouver area/lowermainland that matched.They ended up sourceing the manual trany model in Kamloops and we made a deal.im wondering how much cheaper I may have got it if I had done the drive there myself!.
The sales guy I delt with had to burn up his own weekend driving up there ,picking it up and driving back so I'm sure they tacked on a couple k.It was priced in the end the same as a comparible auto trany truck with the same options tho local.
Enjoy the new truck.If treated well these truck will last decades.Im into yr 11 on my current 05 and other than a few door dents she's standing up well and the drivetrain is strong..

takla

nitro hunter
08-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Haley dodge,Whiterock.Worst buying experience ever.

knothead
08-28-2016, 07:33 PM
By the way I should have already put a shout out to Gustafson Chrysler in Williams Lake for treating me with respect and making the purchase painless also just for being really nice people.

SuperYeti
08-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Congratulations on the new truck.

I saw a couple incorrect assumptions about DEF here. DEF is part of a SCR (Selective catalytic reduction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_catalytic_reduction)): system, that is used in the exhaust stream to catalyze NOx (mono-nitrogen oxides) into water vapor. It has nothing to do with the DPF filters, they are 2 independant systems. Currently all DPF systems need to be burned off when they get full, this is usually done based on sensors that monitor pressure, flow, and a few other things in the filter, but is also done on a fixed mileage basis as well in the case of my '15 F350, I'm not aware if the other manufacturers do this. When the system determines it's time for a regeneration, it releases extra fuel into the exhaust stream by either pulsing the injectors again while the exhaust valves are open, or by the use of an additional injector in the exhaust manifold ala Chevy. This causes the temperature of the exhaust stream to rise dramatically, until it hits a temperature that causes the black carbon/soot trapped in the DPF to be burned off, and released from the tailpipe as a small amount of ash. When driving hard, or towing heavy loads, the system will experience "passive" regeneration, as the EGT's are high enough to cause the endothermic reaction in the DPF filter, but when doing lots of stop and go driving in city traffic, it builds up and then an "active" regeneration occurs.

Cheers

REMINGTON JIM
08-28-2016, 08:42 PM
2011 + 6.7 Ford is a Good Engine and Super Dutys are Nice Trucks ! :smile:

ALL ! Duramax's are GOOD engines and all years of GM's are Nice trucks ! :grin:

JMO :wink: RJ

sako79
08-28-2016, 08:43 PM
even the dodge dealers no what truck is best, best screwup ever

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14068225_10157325714090147_6728457301677730118_n.j pg?oh=2dca8290b3cba79ad8c4c88ba850ebcd&oe=583BED20

Stone C. Killer
08-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Bought a new jeep from the coquitlam one in the spring. They forced me to fill out the financing papers even though i really didn't want to I was buying it outright...... They said "everyone has to go through financing" Then they charged me double for the special gas in the tires. Had to get a refund. Then the other day my wife finally notices a charge on our account for a loan from rbc who we do not bank with at all. I thought it was identify theft by someone who took a loan out on our account. A little digging turns out im paying twice for the jeep... wow. They mail us out a check for the 6 months worth of payments without an apology.

sako79
08-28-2016, 09:44 PM
Bought a new jeep from the coquitlam one in the spring. They forced me to fill out the financing papers even though i really didn't want to I was buying it outright...... They said "everyone has to go through financing" Then they charged me double for the special gas in the tires. Had to get a refund. Then the other day my wife finally notices a charge on our account for a loan from rbc who we do not bank with at all. I thought it was identify theft by someone who took a loan out on our account. A little digging turns out im paying twice for the jeep... wow. They mail us out a check for the 6 months worth of payments without an apology.

sound like the crooks at dodge dealers.

before i bought my 16 f150 i went into go dodge on scott road and i almost bought a 16 ram ecodiesel. they were giving me $35500 trade in on my 14 gmc sierra. until i looked and the truck i was buying they upped the price by $15000 over msrp. so they were only giving me $20500 for my truck. lets just say i told everyone there buying a vehicle what happened and i think they were ripping off everyone going in there

ACE
08-28-2016, 09:54 PM
"They forced me to fill out the financing papers .......... "

So the salesman said "no deal" when your cash is on the desk ?

REMINGTON JIM
08-28-2016, 11:42 PM

Hard to Believe STOREY - No one FORCES you to do anything- did they put a GUN to your head :confused: WTH RJ

Stone C. Killer
08-29-2016, 08:12 AM
ummmmmm ok

Stone C. Killer
08-29-2016, 08:14 AM
U guys r more ballsy than me. guess i should have read them my rights....

Stone C. Killer
08-29-2016, 08:24 AM
seemed like "financing" is the excuse they use to sit you down and try to add on all the extras

.264winmag
08-29-2016, 04:30 PM
If you're gonna do a pile of gravel road/offroading I'd stay away from the chev 1 ton, dodge was never much good either in logging camps. The f350 seemed to hold up the best in my experience, something to be said for str8 front axle if it's still available. My last Logging boss had a newer duramax 3500 for a crummy, was replacing front end every 3-4months. Maybe a guy could beef it up though, my 05' 2500 has a fabtec 6'' lift with all moog front end components and zero issues after 220k but not sure when conversion was done as I bought it with 90k. I drive a fair bit of gravel and don't baby it...

knothead
08-29-2016, 06:08 PM
I have to admit I put Chev in the post header just to keep the chev guys happy, I would never consider a chev diesel 1 ton because of the independent front suspension. I do drive FSR's a lot and I don't think the Chev is up to it. Though I'm sure they make nice city trucks cause they drive and are soft and cushy like a car.

REMINGTON JIM
08-29-2016, 07:38 PM
I have being in parts and service at all of the Big 3 in the last 15 years NONE are any better the the others ! Pick which one you like and Drive it ! jmo RJ

takla1
08-29-2016, 07:49 PM
well ive been crowing about my 05 dodge ram diesel SC 4x4 and lack of repairs ive had to do over 11 yrs,wouldnt you know it today on the way to work my entire tail pipe from the muffler back to th tip came lose.was just held there by the hanger.Not bad I guess for 11 yrs on the wet coast.Guess ill have to straight pipe the Biatch now...lol

takla

ACE
08-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Ace...I've got 3.73 gearing ...Also my truck weighs 3004 kg ..Your 3/4 ton is a lot lighter...My truck is a 3 speed auto with towhaul ..Does the tuner help much?...had a 98 -12 valve that empty gave me an honest 25 mpg hwy .I've noticed a drop in miledge since putting on mudflaps and a headache rack..Other than that I don't put my foot into it..Have driven 100kms /hour and also 108 kms /hr which the later is the most efficient torgue for the engine...According to Cummins..1990rpm..I found I figure my miledge out manually I don't believe the idiot computer overhead..Your thoughts.....Dennis

Dennis .... '02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 4x4 ... Regular cab, 5sp. and 3.54 Limited Slip .........canopy and full fuel ...... 3060kg (front 1790kg) (rear 1270kg)
The tuner makes the 5.9L much more interesting to drive .....
My mileage is also figured manually .......

ACE
08-29-2016, 08:15 PM
well ive been crowing about my 05 dodge ram diesel SC 4x4 and lack of repairs ive had to do over 11 yrs,wouldnt you know it today on the way to work my entire tail pipe from the muffler back to th tip came lose.was just held there by the hanger.Not bad I guess for 11 yrs on the wet coast.Guess ill have to straight pipe the Biatch now...lol

takla

Straight pipe on the highway isn't so bad ...... in town it can be annoying after awhile .....
Nice Goldwing in your avatar! Very nice indeed!

ACE
08-29-2016, 08:17 PM
I have being in parts and service at all of the Big 3 in the last 15 years NONE are any better the the others ! Pick which one you like and Drive it ! jmo RJ

Jeep :grin::lol: ?

REMINGTON JIM
08-29-2016, 08:35 PM
You KNOW there all Good when they go up and down the road and dont break down :wink: - None are worth Braggin about if there broke and in the shop costing you money ! :cry: Think about that people ! Its like the BEST scope warranty is the one you NEVER have to use ! jmo RJ

09-07-2016, 08:35 PM
one word Cummins

Surrey Boy
09-07-2016, 08:47 PM
one word Cummins

The problem is that Cummins is married to Dodge.

CodyRules
09-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Dodge is great but no matter the year the front ends are poop! Just my 2 cents

emerson
09-08-2016, 10:19 AM
People keep hacking on Chev IFS durability and then the next post slams Dodge front ends. My Chev is 13 yr old, 340000k. 2 sets front wheel bearing, 2-3 sets tie rods, ball joints, 2 idler/pitman sets. Drove hard, heavy diesel front end. My only complaint is the low stock ride height. Fixed that. I like the Dodge still not using DEF though.

ACE
09-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge diesel trucks have heavy front ends ....
Combined with larger than OEM tires mounted on aftermarket rims that have larger off-sets, and lifts that change steering/suspension geometry = front ends that wear out faster.
The manufactures spend a lot of time doing R/D to find out what suspension/steering/wheel-tire combinations will give reasonably suspension component life.
But, we backyard mechanics .... we know more than the truck designers.
We add the mega tire/rim combinations, change this, change that, then bitch because we don't get the super performance that the 'mega-lift' sales brochure said we will get .......

Surrey Boy
09-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Ace, your point is valid, but the frequency of "Lemon" cars, especially by GM (once the gold standard of industry worldwide), makes consumers rightfully bitter and wary.

There are established weak components in various production runs which are privately acknowledged by automakers. See Lee Iaccoca and his handling of the Ford Pinto, which changed liability and class-action litigation forevermore. It's like an insurance actuary in reverse.

Gun Dog
09-08-2016, 02:32 PM
I like the Dodge still not using DEF though.Those days are gone. In 2007 Dodge (now RAM) used both -- DEF for the cab & chassis and a cat for the pickups. With the 4th generation (2010) it was DEF all the way. Using a cat and injecting fuel into the exhaust to burn it clean really hurt the fuel economy for daily drivers. Using DEF brings the fuel economy back to the good old days plus you get 400hp and 800ft-lbs of torque.

kootenaycarver
09-08-2016, 03:06 PM
I'm very pleased with my 2015 Chev Silverado 3500HD, Duramax/Allison. Tows my 30 foot Travel Trailer like a dream. Had a 2005 GMC Duramax before that, 10 years and 240 K with no issues.

emerson
09-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Ace, your point is valid, but the frequency of "Lemon" cars, especially by GM (once the gold standard of industry worldwide), makes consumers rightfully bitter and wary.

There are established weak components in various production runs which are privately acknowledged by automakers. See Lee Iaccoca and his handling of the Ford Pinto, which changed liability and class-action litigation forevermore. It's like an insurance actuary in reverse.
Chev idler and pitman arms really profit from the Cognito braces in my experience.

emerson
09-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Those days are gone. In 2007 Dodge (now RAM) used both -- DEF for the cab & chassis and a cat for the pickups. With the 4th generation (2010) it was DEF all the way. Using a cat and injecting fuel into the exhaust to burn it clean really hurt the fuel economy for daily drivers. Using DEF brings the fuel economy back to the good old days plus you get 400hp and 800ft-lbs of torque.
I learn something new every day.

Frango
09-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Those days are gone. In 2007 Dodge (now RAM) used both -- DEF for the cab & chassis and a cat for the pickups. With the 4th generation (2010) it was DEF all the way. Using a cat and injecting fuel into the exhaust to burn it clean really hurt the fuel economy for daily drivers. Using DEF brings the fuel economy back to the good old days plus you get 400hp and 800ft-lbs of torque.
I have no idea what this statement is trying to tell me. What does DEF have to do with a cab or chassis. I think the cat part is catalytic but from there I am lost.. Input would help me.

Squamch
09-09-2016, 07:05 AM
The problem is that Cummins is married to Dodge.

Are you kidding?!
as far as shipping crates go, the dodge crates they use to ship cummins (bro) motors in are great! Duramax and Powerstroke come in WOOD crates. Dodge ships their motors in a steel and plastic crate that sometimes holds up for upwards of 4 years (terms and conditions of warranty may vary).

Gun Dog
09-09-2016, 08:59 AM
I have no idea what this statement is trying to tell me. What does DEF have to do with a cab or chassis. I think the cat part is catalytic but from there I am lost.. Input would help me.For a couple of years Dodge used two different emissions systems -- one on the pickups and one on the C&Cs. In 2007 they both met the stricter 2010 emissions rules and it was a large scale experiment to decide which was better.

The pickups used: catalyst - NAC (NOx absorber catalyst) - DPF (Diesel particulate filter) system

The C&Cs used: catalyst - DPF - SCR (selective catalyst reduction w/DEF) system

Read more at Cummins Hub (http://www.cumminshub.com/emissions.html)

Frango
09-09-2016, 12:36 PM
For a couple of years Dodge used two different emissions systems -- one on the pickups and one on the C&Cs. In 2007 they both met the stricter 2010 emissions rules and it was a large scale experiment to decide which was better.

The pickups used: catalyst - NAC (NOx absorber catalyst) - DPF (Diesel particulate filter) system

The C&Cs used: catalyst - DPF - SCR (selective catalyst reduction w/DEF) system

Read more at Cummins Hub (http://www.cumminshub.com/emissions.html) Thank you Gun Dog

goinghunting
09-09-2016, 01:52 PM
What are you guys getting for fuel economy in you new dodge and chev diesels with the DEF? Is it comparable to the early 2000's diesels?

stan
09-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Def allows emission targets to be met by reducing nox without inefficient fuel delivery profiles hence better fuel economy .

stan
09-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Also def has nothing to do with the diesel particulate filter, the dpf is for soot emissions, and still uses fuel to increase the temperature of the exhaust gases to burn the particulates out of the filter.

stan
09-09-2016, 04:13 PM
The 2013 to 2016 gets better fuel economy then the pre def 6.7 Cummins .