PDA

View Full Version : how much should I share?

itsy bitsy xj
08-14-2016, 10:52 PM
Here's a question for you guys with some experience on this subject. I've had a local farmer ask me to help him with the deer that are steeling all him crop. What if anything should the spilt of the bounty be? I'll be paying the butcher and he asked me to help him.

wideopenthrottle
08-14-2016, 11:01 PM
always ask that question before hand...as in "do you want any of the meat?"...if he says no, offer him a few sausages or packs of burger reassuring him it is great...if he helps you get easy meat, you may want to be able to do it again!

northof49
08-14-2016, 11:14 PM
Roast and bottle of red wine for the wife be a nice gesture. If he is asking for your help probably not really expecting anything in return. If not sure just ask if he expects anything. Even if not successful, often nice gesture to drop off something as a way of saying thank you.....also goes a long ways to being be welcome back the next season.

ruger#1
08-15-2016, 03:07 AM
He might have to have a permit for pest control. Or are you going to tag out these deer. My father is having a problem with deer eating his grapes. Hi neighbour across the street used to be in pest management. He has problems with them eating his plum and peach trees. Dogs do not bother these deer. Rubber bullets would do wonders. They do make 12g rubber bullets. They are not cheap.

VLD43
08-15-2016, 07:51 AM
Over the years there has been a lot access to farms denied, because some hunters have little respect or appreciation for the privilege or opportunity they have been given. I see your situation as a chance to show the farmer the benefits of having respectful hunters on their properties. If you are considerate to the farmer, and at least offer him some form of gratuity, it can only be a positive experience for both of you. As hunters we need to be aware how important a little our image and good "PR" are to our sport. Good luck

panhead
08-15-2016, 08:07 AM
offer him some free labour ... win win ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those who have arrived to the party too late, will find that all the drugs are gone, all the booze has been consumed, and all the hot babes are taken. Fun’s over.

08-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Well its a privilege to be able to hunt here in Langley. I would ask what he expects ...... you with all the deer, him with 1/2 the deer, do you home butcher or would be share the cost of a hired butcher for 1/2 . If you get it all, be sure to offer some back ........

CT

08-15-2016, 09:09 AM
yep, have a chat with the farmer.... remember that it is a good dig so don't think you are going way out to the bush and spending a wack of money etc..... oh,,learn to cut it yourself! save the money...

Some pest permits do not allow you to take the meat....
be sure to read the permit and find the rules behind it first off.... then decide what you might do

ajr5406
08-15-2016, 09:14 AM
Here's a question for you guys with some experience on this subject. I've had a local farmer ask me to help him with the deer that are steeling all him crop. What if anything should the spilt of the bounty be? I'll be paying the butcher and he asked me to help him.

Great opportunity!

If it was me I would offer half the deer, butchered and packaged, and a nice bottle of wine... I would definitely like to be invited back again! Im sure if there is one deer there are probably more...

itsy bitsy xj
08-15-2016, 09:24 AM
I don't think he has a permit as he mentioned open season in Sept. so it will be bucks only. How and where do I or he get a permit? Will it allow the taking of Does to protect his crops?

Slinky Pickle
08-15-2016, 11:49 AM
I have a good friend that let's my hunting buddy and I hunt whitetail on his farm. From the start it was made very clear, anything taken by either my buddy or myself get's divided evenly between the three of us. It works great for all of us and it makes for a great friendship.

tigrr
08-15-2016, 12:57 PM
Some farmers don't want any of it. Some won't turn it away if offered. One farmers wife said it wasn't being cooked in her house!!

adriaticum
08-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Even if he says no, always give him something. Unless he's vegan.

wideopenthrottle
08-15-2016, 01:30 PM
or as mentioned before, a nice bottle or two of his/her favourite