PDA

View Full Version : trail camers's

curt
08-14-2016, 09:58 PM
Hey boys and girls Im looking at buying my 1st trail cam I/m not looking to spend a ton of money any entry level suggestions or experience with any I'd love to hear about it??
thanks

IslandBC
08-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Don't cheap out to hard . I bought a SPYPOINT from CT and worked great for a year in warmer conditions. Soon as I took it up high in the snow . -7 at night . Cougar tracks everywhere , NO PICS! The trigger speed went from .8 seconds to 1 minute... Spend the money once and get a higher end brand .

bassplayer
08-14-2016, 10:35 PM
Moultrie make great cams at affordable prices. Excellent pic quality and great battery life. I own 10 cams and 7 are Moultrie. Never had any issues in minus temps either. The only Moultrie i would steer clear from is the A-5. Doesn't give you a lot of options in terms of features. Pretty much default but you can pick them up for around $80.00 if you do happen to want an A-5.

itsy bitsy xj
08-14-2016, 10:57 PM
Moultrie make great cams at affordable prices. Excellent pic quality and great battery life. I own 10 cams and 7 are Moultrie. Never had any issues in minus temps either. The only Moultrie i would steer clear from is the A-5. Doesn't give you a lot of options in terms of features. Pretty much default but you can pick them up for around $80.00 if you do happen to want an A-5.

I just picked up an A-5 I've only used it around the yard with my dogs setting it off. I found the video is very clear but short clips

wideopenthrottle
08-14-2016, 11:05 PM
i'm thinking of getting one and setting up down by Hume park next to the brunette river where some phucktards keep dumping garbage..i take my little girl and my dog down there to walk and there is a large dump truck worth of chit there right now

bassplayer
08-15-2016, 09:56 AM
I just picked up an A-5 I've only used it around the yard with my dogs setting it off. I found the video is very clear but short clips
I had one but sold it not long after. Don't get me wrong. They are ok cams for the low price. There was nothing for features for guys like me that are used to having cams with more options to play with. Like you said. You only get 10 sec video clips day or night. 10 sec night clips is normal but even some of the worst cams out there give you at least 30 sec clips during the day time. The cam is only capable of taking one single pic at a time. I prefer 3 pics at a time before the delay because usually the first pic will only consist of an ear or antler tip. Would work ok over a bait pile as that would allow the animal to stick around to get a 2nd pic. I had a few pics where i had only got half an animal as it was walking through the zone because the cameras trigger speed isn't all that great unless they improved on it since. The only settings you can really change on the A-5 is the date and time. Plus you only get a 10 sec count down to clear the area after you turn it on.

buck400
08-15-2016, 10:22 AM
I have 3 Moultrie panoramic 150i 1 990i love them.there not cheap between 240 to 300 $ had one of my 150i not worked an called Moultrie up said it only 8weeks old they replace it in 2weeks well be buying more good quality pics day an night

chris
08-15-2016, 10:37 AM
I have 2 spypoints which I have had for years. I leave them out all winter and have had no issues. Trigger time isn't the best on either. I have a Browning which I only got a couple years ago but it is really fast. If you want a fast cam then the Browning is top notch. All my camera's are used year round around 100 mile house and I have had no issues with cold or moisture.

BMAC0
08-15-2016, 01:29 PM
I have the Moultrie M-880, very pleased with it. Also have the Browning Spec ops and have been pleased as well. Not sure where you are but Wholesale Sports have a nice Browning for $200.00 which would do the trick!