PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a canopy for my new Tacoma 2016

jlirot
08-13-2016, 08:43 PM
I just took delivery on a 2016 Tacoma 4 door long bed TRD. I've only driven it a few kms - but so far seems good. Damn nice looking truck BTW.

Now I need a cap.

I've gotten a quote of $3K for a Leer XR (i think) with roof racks and 'pet screens' on the sliders.

Seems pretty reasonable.

Anyone have a good hookup?

I need to get a cap before it starts raining. And, the truck is a lot smaller inside than the Pilot I was driving so I need to get the cap on so I have a place for the dog!

BgBlkDg
08-14-2016, 09:28 AM
I bought my Taco SR5-Access Cab, Aug. 28/14 and began to build my "dream" truck, at considerable cost, BUT, it is fantastic and meets all my needs superbly. I prefer the shorter O/L length, although my wife wanted the DC model like yours.

My Leer canopy and all my goodies came from or were installed by Captin on South Fraser, here in Abby and I cannot recommend these fine folks too highly. Their work is outstanding, prices fair and product quality high.

I had a small issue with my truck after my first trip home to the WK and took it to the dealer where I had purchased it 6 weeks prior to this trip. The salesman, and sales manager immediately began to try to avoid responsibility, but, the Finance Manager, just said, "Don't worry, Dewey, we WILL make it right for you". Since Captin, was involved, I next went there and the owner, Kevin Harrison, just said, NO problem, WE WILL fix it and spent hours getting my baby to where I wanted it......THAT impressed me and I am a customer for life!

So, since they are Leer dealers, my fave canopy by far, I would call them and see what happens for you.

I have driven 4x4s in BC for over 50 years and never experienced better service and performance.

Sharpish
08-14-2016, 08:17 PM
I have a LEER 180 on my Tacoma. It's awesome. It's a midrise, but not one of the really tall ones. Great quality and perfect fit. The paint colour matches exactly as well which I like.

Stresd
08-15-2016, 07:01 AM
Congrats on your new truck!!
Canopy West Whalley gave me excellent installation and service with the purchase of my A.R.E. canopy. Went with the Outlander Cap, paint matched to my 16 Quick Sand TRD Off Road Access Cab Manual. Little over $3000 but well worth it in my opinion. Very please with the design and excellent fit & finish of the ARE Outlander Cap. Like you I bought mine for my dog. One expensive dog house, but she is worth it. :lol:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/20160708_180515_zpsuiirp3ys.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/Stresd/media/20160708_180515_zpsuiirp3ys.jpg.html)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/20160708_162053_zpsn3ei1py8.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/Stresd/media/20160708_162053_zpsn3ei1py8.jpg.html)

jlirot
08-15-2016, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the replies! Very helpful. I called Canopy West (they're a lot closer than driving back out to Surrey!). They were very helpful. There's a Canadian company based in Summerland that makes caps. their prices seem quite reasonable. I'm going out this PM to take a look. Also, these guys will fit a loaner on my truck while we wait for the correctly colored one to arrive.

Will keep ya posted.

PS: That ARE looks sweet (the Leer is nice too) but for 50% of the cost I'm seriously considering the Summerland manufactured one.

Stresd
08-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Check out the fit and finish when mounted on a truck. I found the Range Rider, though made here in BC, not yet quite on a par with the ARE or Leer. Wish they were as I would much rather have bought one made here in BC. (ie) With the R.R. a black line was visible when the cap was mounted to the box. Where as the Leer and & ARE overlapped the box a bit so the black box liner top was not visible. One nice feature I really appreciate on my Cap is that the whole canopy cab rear window inner frame folds down for easy cleaning of the rear windows of the truck and canopy.

Zedbra
08-15-2016, 05:12 PM
I just took delivery on a 2016 Tacoma 4 door long bed TRD. I've only driven it a few kms - but so far seems good. Damn nice looking truck BTW.

I like Toyota trucks, but I can't get past the new front ends, they are anything but 'damn nice;

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5955&stc=1

Stresd
08-15-2016, 05:34 PM
I like Toyota trucks, but I can't get past the new front ends, they are anything but 'damn nice;

Whaaaattttt???? You don't like Cheeze Graters?:p

jlirot
08-15-2016, 05:40 PM
I don't have to look at the grill while I'm driving. If it bothers you - move into the slow lane. :-)

Just joking. It is a bit blocky. But, I didn't buy the truck for the front grill. So far it's a nice truck.

I bought the Arrow canopy from Canopys West in Surrey. It was 1/3 less than the ARE or Leer. Basically the price of a roof rack - which I will add later.

Seems solid. Looks to be well built. Should do me well for a 'dog house'.

And, they gave me a loaner until the correctly colored one comes in. Seemed like first rate service.

Good2bCanadian
08-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Nice truck!
I bought a 2015 Tundra and I love it.
Currently have a triple fold hard taunneau. It's nice for storage, but limited in storage room. Although, very easy to remove.

Good luck in your search.

Blockcaver
08-15-2016, 07:15 PM
I've got a range rider on a '15 F350 and a leer 100r on a '15 f150. For the extra $1000 the leer has a slightly better appearance:
sides come down over the box rail.
hatch door comes down over the tailgate.
Lear has less "oil-can" look on the sides as the RR is a bit dished in ahead of the side window.
leer is probably a bit more square with the truck box, the RR is slightly skewed on mine but not enough to affect the function.
the leer is a bit lighter gage on the rails.
Both paint jobs match the truck perfectly.
the leer came with carpet on the inside which line nice.

I'd buy either again. Both do the job. Neither seal worth a darn around the tail gate and let a fair amount of dust in, even with a cabelas seal kit installed.