PDA

View Full Version : Fraser River closed to Salmon fishing....

Leaseman
08-12-2016, 07:18 AM
As of sunset Thursday (last night)....

Salmon fishing closed from Alexandra bridge down to the mouth of the Fraser.....

FN are allowed their fishery(s) but only allowed 100,000 fish....:cry:

You are allowed to fish from trout, steelhead and sturgeon still......

Glenny
08-12-2016, 07:31 AM
Yes. Notice was for salmon. Springs in particular which was opened up last week or so and then yanked. Same as last year. Mouth too.

BgBlkDg
08-12-2016, 07:42 AM
The recreational fishery for we native-born taxpaying BC citizens MUST take absolute precedence over ANY other fisheries, especially the travesty of an allowance for aboriginals.

The "Trudeau" Constitution, MUST be cancelled and a new CANADIAN Constitution, enacted with rigid protection of OUR gun rights, private property, strict definitions of WHO IS a "Canadian" and NO special "rights" for that tiny ethnic minority.

I bet that MOST Canucks, especially here in BC, agree with this.

Wentrot
08-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Unbelievable

Gone_Fishin_
08-12-2016, 08:14 AM
I guess all our bar rods with spin 'n' glows were intercepting too many sockeye...

Hopefully it'll reopen soon before we all transition into chasing critters...

Iron Glove
08-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Oh well, there goes my planned walk down to the Fraser to catch supper. :frown:

303savage
08-12-2016, 08:36 AM
especially the travesty of an allowance for aboriginals.

I have no problem with native fishery or native hunting. I do have a problem with them using our technology.
They didn't have firearms,motorized boats, nylon nets or pickups...

tubby
08-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Very good compliance by anglers by not flossing. There was some but f_ck all compared to most years. 95% of anglers were barfishing.
All the while there is wall to wall set and drift nets. Most of our springs caught barfishing were beat up from nets.
Its not hard to figure out why this years run of.socks and springs sucks. When this year brood was netted out years ago.
Be awesome if Suzuki or other high attention people shed some light on the real problem the Fraser is facing!!!!!!!! NETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leaseman
08-12-2016, 08:52 AM
^^^^^ No one wants to take on the FN......

No one has the balls to do it!!

BgBlkDg
08-12-2016, 09:10 AM
It's coming and sooner than many seem to realize.

604Stalker
08-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Wheres this posted? Cant find it on their site

Leaseman
08-12-2016, 09:13 AM
On their site, even a 1/4 page read in The Province this morning....

Leaseman
08-12-2016, 09:14 AM
It's coming and sooner than many seem to realize.

What is coming?

Care to explain more?? :cool:

MB_Boy
08-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Wheres this posted? Cant find it on their site

Here is the tidal notices.

http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=187088&ID=all

http://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=187084&ID=all

Fella
08-12-2016, 09:22 AM
What is coming?

Ya I'm curious as well.

604Stalker
08-12-2016, 09:42 AM
My bad did not see that it was tidal. Thankyou

Leaseman
08-12-2016, 09:54 AM
My bad did not see that it was tidal. Thankyou

Goes all the way to Alexandra Bridge so more non than Tidal!! :wink: 8)

MB_Boy
08-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Goes all the way to Alexandra Bridge so more non than Tidal!! :wink: 8)

Us 'saltys' don't know how to read or find notices inside the mouth of the Fraser let alone beyond the Mission Bridge. :-P :-P

Ozone
08-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Like they will stop at 100K.

wideopenthrottle
08-12-2016, 11:27 AM
how much are they charging this year for their ceremonial subsistance fish 5 bucks each like last year or maybe up a bit this year?:sad:

604Stalker
08-12-2016, 11:31 AM
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/for/5729141195.html ... :(

wideopenthrottle
08-12-2016, 11:35 AM

just brutal! is all i can say:x

BgBlkDg
08-12-2016, 11:48 AM
What is coming?

I think that a major reaction against the aboriginal situation here is forming and will quite possibly result in changes to this fairly soon.

With the various blockades, threats of "war" and harsh, racist slurs against we decent, productive, supporting citizens that are now so much a part of our decadent society, violent actions are very possible.

steel_ram
08-12-2016, 12:01 PM

Their Sockeye looks an awfully lot like a chum to me.

BRvalley
08-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Their Sockeye looks an awfully lot like a chum to me.

hipsters don't know that....

gave my one of my city buddies an education on this stuff recently...he noticed it didn't taste that great LOL

604Stalker
08-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Well since its unregulated and they dgaf kinda buyer beware. Just feels lame that Im trying to learn to fish something bigger than a lake trout and have to drive 2 hours to get a crack at it because someone decided that there are poor runs ... Hard for a fish to swim through a net.

tigrr
08-12-2016, 12:40 PM
The recreational fishery for we native-born taxpaying BC citizens MUST take absolute precedence over ANY other fisheries, especially the travesty of an allowance for aboriginals.

The "Trudeau" Constitution, MUST be cancelled and a new CANADIAN Constitution, enacted with rigid protection of OUR gun rights, private property, strict definitions of WHO IS a "Canadian" and NO special "rights" for that tiny ethnic minority.

I bet that MOST Canucks, especially here in BC, agree with this.

Where is the like button?

08-12-2016, 01:09 PM
As the FN nets keep fishing, take some pics everyone. Your witnessing the end of what used to be. You can show your grand kids, that years ago, this massive river called the Fraser use to have the largest salmon runs in the world. You could also explain that the fishery industry was once one of the largest in the province of BC. And how the First Nations depended on the returns year after year. But as with every thing, selfishness took over, greed and mismanagement took place. Nets went side to side for the chosen few that kept taking it all, until there was none left.

Unfortunately kids, this death of the Fraser salmon, also killed off all the Giant Fraser River White sturgeon, Eagles, Bears, and many many more things the salmon were the life blood for. All for discrimination kids, for giving one race the right to fish, which they did, until there was no more.

Get the the nets out of the water. Save OUR salmon.

CT

BgBlkDg
08-12-2016, 01:19 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

like!!!!!!!

Stone C. Killer
08-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Surely it was because of all those bottom bouncers out there.

08-12-2016, 06:02 PM
They have closed areas 11-21,111,121,123,29-5-10. On the Salt chuck.

Closed for retention of sockeye. To FN too in these areas :-D

but wait ......... When they get narrowed down to a sure kill method of a river neck and nets every where ....it's allowed for those so special...only 100,000 though ....... The run should be OK . This assures Way more death then any form of sport fishing or salmon troller ...... And not just sockeye death.

FN Nets need to Get Out of the river

jlirot
08-12-2016, 06:08 PM
i shouldn't comment - but i will. :-)

went to port alberni recently - tons of trucks selling salmon on the side of the road. i'm guessing it's acceptabel because that's traditional sustenance fishing like it was done since the days of yore. with aluminum motor boats, honda engines, and nets imported from china.

gmachine19
08-12-2016, 06:41 PM
Protest fishing anyone???

Caribou_lou
08-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Skeena is much like the the Fraser with FN nets. What grinds my gears is that dfo could care less. They have no idea how many fish they are taking. They have zero clue how many nets are in the river. As of tomorrow you can go to the Babine counting fence and buy them off the natives for 15$ a fish... meanwhile we are limited to 2 a day. For now. Numbers showing up at the fence aren't reflecting estimates that have gone through the tyee test fishery. They have gone missing? ? And natives are trying to pin the blame on licenced fisherman.

Spy
08-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Ok this is not going to get any better until the nets are removed! My first thread on HBC was ban all fishing nets, hook and line only ! Man was I shot down tarred and feathered ! The time has come to ban all net fishing WORLD wide...
Flame on!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?47951-Ban-all-fishing-nets-Hooks-amp-line-only&highlight=fishing+nets+hook+line

Seth
08-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Oh well, there goes my planned walk down to the Fraser to catch supper. :frown:

Just buy one out of an Astrovan before it ends up piled, rotting in a ditch.

Jagermeister
08-12-2016, 10:12 PM
It's coming and sooner than many seem to realize.We are the only nation that kowtow to First Nations. All the other nations have integrated their's into mainstream society. Are we sucking a hind tit or what? But as Dewey says, "It's coming and sooner than many seem to realize."
How many of you squandered your 15$ for a non-tidal licence? I didn't because my neighbor said to wait telling me that it will probably get shutdown no sooner than it opens. He must have a crystal ball.
So I think all that bought the non-tidal licence should get a petition going to get yourselves a refund. As long as you sit back and do nothing, they will happily keep your money and hose you again next year.

Steeleco
08-13-2016, 07:16 AM
Bitch all you like about the natives, if the customer wasn't there, they'd not need to catch more than they need for themselves. But when you have fish processing plants and reefer trucks pulling out a plant on Lougheed hwy among others, it's the customer big and small that's aiding and abetting this problem.

08-13-2016, 07:31 AM
So true, and is or will DFO do any thing about that. No not likely when any thing gets challenged in the courts, it gets thrown out.

Two sets of law in this country is very very old. And some day I hope gets changed by some one with huge nuggets.

Say at so long to Salmon fishing as you Knew it. The nets the endless nets, will be the ultimate destruction, because we have voted for political parties with NO Guts!

BgBlkDg
08-13-2016, 07:47 AM
I AM a "native" Canadian, born here into a founding, pioneer family and WE founded and largely built Canada, so, the use of the term "native" to describe aboriginals is not correct.

Words have a great effect on societal issues and the acceptance of "loaded" political terms of recent origin such as "first nations" is divisive, assists the aboriginal agenda and gives them and their vile supporters far greater credibility and subsequent power than would be the case if everyone called them "aboriginals".

They, DO NOT NEED to catch ANY fish in numbers greater than ANY other Canadian and this is a travesty of justice in what is supposed to be an egalitarian democracy, "Canada".

The issue here, is NOT one of ignorant and selfish people enabling them-to some degree as not every member of the greater public buys from them-but, it IS the fundamental injustice of special treatment for a tiny minority which is against fundamental justice.

By all means, charge, convict and heavily fine enablers, de-naturalize and deport any not born here and enact legislation to ensure equality among Canadians-----or, there is trouble coming and it may well be horrific.

RugDoctor
08-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Way too much money to be made keeping the Indian Industry alive.

Iron Glove
08-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Bitch all you like about the natives, if the customer wasn't there, they'd not need to catch more than they need for themselves. But when you have fish processing plants and reefer trucks pulling out a plant on Lougheed hwy among others, it's the customer big and small that's aiding and abetting this problem.

Bingo, you nailed it.
I have absolutely no problem buying fish from a Commercial, be it FN or not opening but will not buy from anyone, FN or not, if it's not a Commercial opening.
We have lots of opportunity to buy non commercial fish here, if everyone would refuse, the market would dry up.
I walk the Fraser and Coq almost daily here and during salmon runs have approached fishermen who are fishing during closures or in closed waters ( the Coq. ) to remind them of the regulations.
For the most part ignorance of the regs is claimed and 100% of the offenders to date have been non FNs.

tubby
08-13-2016, 09:28 AM
Your comparing netting to anglers fishing closed areas? Those single anglers will definitely wipe out the runs

Iron Glove
08-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Your comparing netting to anglers fishing closed areas? Those single anglers will definitely wipe out the runs

If you are referring to my post, my comments were primarily aimed at those poachers who fish the COQ as it is closed to ALL fishing at the time of most salmon runs and the runs in the COQ are endangered so yes, those single anglers can have a detrimental effect on the runs.

tubby
08-13-2016, 01:10 PM
How do you feel about nets below the coq and silver hope? You should talk to some of the FN at st Elmo in June and end of May and ask how many summers they get. I do agree with you though with the guys fishing the closed areas

ruger#1
08-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Nets. Nothing a bail of hay wont fix.

Iron Glove
08-13-2016, 01:22 PM
How do you feel about nets below the coq and silver hope? You should talk to some of the FN at st Elmo in June and end of May and ask how many summers they get. I do agree with you though with the guys fishing the closed areas

I can walk down to the river in maybe 5 minutes and see nets on the Fraser and at the mouth of the COQ, I don't like them.
My main point going back is if the average non FN didn't go out and buy illegally caught salmon from the FN ( or anyone else for that matter ) then a lot of the fishing might end.
Have a relative, by marriage, not blood, who goes out every year and loads up on FN salmon, sees nothing wrong with that but then heads off to the Legion for a beer and complains about the "damn FN's and immigrants". Go figure.

scoutlt1
08-13-2016, 01:36 PM
I have never bought, and never will, buy or eat a fish "caught" by a so-called "native" fishery.
The way this natural resource has been "handled" by the law-makers, and law-enforcers, is nothing short of disgraceful and despicable.

Shame on all of those involved.

BgBlkDg
08-13-2016, 01:41 PM
I have never bought, and never will, buy or eat a fish "caught" by a so-called "native" fishery.
The way this natural resource has been "handled" by the law-makers, and law-enforcers, is nothing short of disgraceful and despicable.

Shame on all of those involved.

I agree and have never and will never buy in that fashion as well.

I favour closing the whole fishery for everyone until it recovers and then allowing each group access based on population numbers. It seems only fair to treat everyone the same way??????

Spy
08-13-2016, 02:17 PM
I agree and have never and will never buy in that fashion as well.

I favour closing the whole fishery for everyone until it recovers and then allowing each group access based on population numbers. It seems only fair to treat everyone the same way??????
x2 shut it down for everyone and **** the ceremonial bullshit aswell, but that will never happen as we have a bunch of idiots with no clue running the show.

tubby
08-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Most of the sales are direct to restaurants in alberta and vancouver. Only a small percentage to goes to the average person.Very big black market to the restaurants in Vancouver....

ruger#1
08-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Most of the sales are direct to restaurants in alberta and vancouver. Only a small percentage to goes to the average person.Very big black market to the restaurants in Vancouver....
.. I bet lots goes into Washington state as well.

kevan
08-13-2016, 02:59 PM
I bet lots goes into Washington state as well.

And Alberta, check the plates on the new Chevy pickups parked along the River with the huge coolers in the back..

scott h
08-13-2016, 03:30 PM

Very good point.....Maybe it's time to start going to these sellers and buyers get them on a iphone much like those guys are doing for pedophiles ( Creep Catchers ??) I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get a lot of video shot to post on a "Natives Selling Ceremonial Salmon" facebook page or youtube. I'm seeing a lot of likes from fishermen but a lot of red faces from politicians.........It would definitely open many peoples eyes to the very open abuse by a certain community in the province and no one could argue that it's not happening.