PDA

View Full Version : Northern Rockies fly in hunt help.

Carbonmatrix
08-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Hey guys need some advice. I got a last minute approval for 2 weeks vacation come opening day and would like to do a fly in hunt for elk to get away from the crowds. Just need a lake to fly into and hike out of that has decent elk population, so far kluachhesi looks good and would hike out from there with my brother. Would love any and all advice.

Cheers,
happy hunting

carbon

butcher
08-11-2016, 03:12 PM
Lots of elk up tuchodi too if you're willing to work. Saw piles while sheep hunting.

ElliotMoose
08-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Give Kevin a call at riverjet adventures.. You will not be disappointed. Not sure if they have any spots left this year but worth the call

Carbonmatrix
08-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Hey butcher thanks for the response, ya work isn't an issue, hence fly in and hike out. Wanna put some miles on the legs before getting too old. I hear the Tuchodi can be a bit of a gong show with all the jet boats.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Are there still flight openings this late in the season?

Carbonmatrix
08-11-2016, 03:37 PM
Are there still flight openings this late in the season?

Ya my wife called villers for me and they gave her a quote.

Brambo
08-11-2016, 10:17 PM
kluachhesi can be a busy lake too. Urs crams ppl into lakes. I think you would be better off talking with kevin willis (river jet adventures) if he has room.
Good luck

Carbonmatrix
08-11-2016, 11:21 PM
kluachhesi can be a busy lake too. Urs crams ppl into lakes. I think you would be better off talking with kevin willis (river jet adventures) if he has room.
Good luck

Thanks for for the heads up. I spoke to Kevin's wife and he is already booked up. That's why I figured to ask some veterans on here and find out as much about the lake so I won't have an issue of rubbing elbows with other hunters. Will hike away from the lake hotspot anyways.

Carbonmatrix
08-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Would love some critique on my gear list, should I add or remove anything? Gonna be gone 7 days. Some of the items will be share carried.

Hilleberg Jannu tent
WM Badger 15 sleeping bag
Exped downmat 7 pad
Hilleberg UL 10 tarp
Leki carbon poles
Custom 7mm wby mountain rifle
Swarovski z5 5-25x52 rifle scope
Swarovski el range 10x42
Swarovski ats hd 65mm spotter
Outdoorsmen medium compact tripod
Garmin Oregon 650t
Kifaru emr ii and duplex frame
Hanwag trapper boots
Thorlos socks 2 pair
FL kanab 2.0
FL allegheny base layer bottom
First lite red desert 2 pair
FL Storm tight boundary rain jacket + pants
FL uncompaghre puffy
FL llano qz
FL Chamma hoody
Fl beanie cap
Fl neck gaiter
Fl gloves
Platypus water filter
Min sawyer straw
Msr reactor stove
Isobutane 2
Spork
2 large trash bags
Caribou game bags 2
Havalon piranta knife
12 blades
Leather man multi tool
50' paracord
Elk calls
Camelbak water bladder
Nalgene water bottle with duct tape
Box of ammo
Wet wipes and toilet paper
Tooth brush and paste
Small soap bar
Mountain house 7
Instant coffee
Protein bar 7
Chocolate bar 7
Nuts

thanks guys

08-12-2016, 01:47 PM
First aid kit, moleskin. A few wraps of duct tape.

Ferenc
08-12-2016, 02:07 PM
Headlamp.....

sheep hunter
08-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Flashlight or headlamp

I would take a real knife, I'm not a fan of the Havalon, the blades snap too easily. More food too

Carbonmatrix
08-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Thanks Fellas! Completely forgot the headlamp and tape. Ya was gonna take an extra days worth of food also. :wink:

Krico
08-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Water filter or tabs. Bic lighters. Compass & map. A good cigar.

Sharpish
08-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Last minute fly in with little experience or preparation will be a hell of an "adventure" at best and dead at worst. You're sure you want to do this??

Wild Images
08-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Two Lights !!!!
ever tried to change batteries in the pitch black of a rainy night with a ram on your back ?
I have .... Never again

Mountain Man
08-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Some things are not must haves by any means but things to consider.............sos device, crocks, tags, belt, gators, salt, bone saw [firewood], zips fire starter, pain killers and other pills, earplugs, sunglasses, camera, spare hip buckle for pack.

BChunter
08-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Call Doug and Sandy McKee at Muskwa River Adventures ASAP! 250-775-0760 Cant say enough good comments, Highly reliable and worth the nickel! Kevin W. knows them. Doug is a new packer but an old river boat pro! The Muskwa is his back yard. Awesome boat! His e-mail doug_McKee@Hotmail.com Don't procrastinate, its getting late to book. Urs can always fit you in too if you wish to fly in. You won't walk out with an Elk between two men? Just boat or fly out.

NChunter
08-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Is that all the food you are taking? I've never done a backpack hunt before but I've done a bit of backpacking and I know I eat a lot when on the trail. I guess once your set up you aren't moving around as much no big pack on all day.

Carbonmatrix
08-13-2016, 12:11 AM
Is that all the food you are taking? I've never done a backpack hunt before but I've done a bit of backpacking and I know I eat a lot when on the trail. I guess once your set up you aren't moving around as much no big pack on all day.

No the food is rough list, I like eating when I'm in the backcountry, that was just a basic quick draft I wrote up in the airport.

Its not not a last minute fly in sharpish, but rather a last minute approval for vacation, had a rare form of the big C I fought off early in the year so I had to take time off to recover and I didn't think the my work would allow me time off come opening day but they had a change of heart and I lucked out with 3 weeks hunting time! :-P Some of us can't scout and plan all year but I'm constantly thinking of hunting and making myself better and pushing harder.

To all the backpackers, between the kifaru emr 2 and stone glacier sky 7200, what would u pick? I have both and have tried them both a lot and feel the sg fits me better but will I miss the cubic inches on the kifaru when I'm hauling meat and camp out?

thanks again guys for the tips and help. Flying out in a couple days. Can't wait!

digger dogger
08-13-2016, 07:11 AM
Last minute fly in with little experience or preparation will be a hell of an "adventure" at best and dead at worst. You're sure you want to do this??

Get some good sound advise, from an experianced hunter, that has fly ins under his belt.
Get your gear together and go, make an adventure.
Good luck, and i hope you have the trip of a life time. ��
Dave.

Red_Mist
08-13-2016, 07:27 AM
might add gold bond to your list. goes nicely with the wet wipes.

SR80
08-13-2016, 07:36 AM
I would take which ever pack you feel fits you better, youll find out in a hurry when its loaded heavy if you made the right decision. Gear list looks good, like the other mentioned, first aid and headlamp. Good luck!

08-13-2016, 07:47 AM
Do a horse pack with Steamboat Mnt. Outfitters ....... Or a jet boat drop with Riverjet Adventures.

Excellent country. Bust your back side and vavoom Ram Down !

RiverOtter
08-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Have used Urs and Kevin both, have Kevin booked again this fall.

As per your pack question, a 7200 SG will most assuredly hold more than you can pack, if we're talking meat and gear. Comfort trumps "cubes" everytime, especially when loads go past 60-70 lbs.

Your list is fairly decent. T'were it me, I'd dump the Leatherman for a good fixed blade knife. I know the appeal of "tools", but realistically there isn't much that you can't fix with a little duct tap, para cord, 4 zap-straps and a sewing needle and couple feet of waxed dental floss.

-Crocs for camp comfort and air drying boots during glassing sessions, not too mention water crossings
-Good pair of gators. Saves your pant bottoms and turns your boots into "high tops"
-LED Headlamp and a set of spare batteries. If you don't leave it turned on during the day, a fresh set of batteries will outlast the longest "night" pack
-HD Ziplock storage bag and a scoop of cold water Tide. Best backcountry washing machine ever. Not as critical for a week, but saves on packing too many extra gonch, socks and t-shirts. Can also be turned into a make shift wash basin for scrubbing "funk". It is simply amazing what "clean" does for morale.
-Gold bond green powder for the berries and GB foot powder for the inside of your socks. If your prone to chafe at all, a bit of Penetin(sp) is well worth the extra ounce it costs.
-Chapstick
-Lightweight bug headnet
-Buff. Use as a sweat band or a means to protect your neck from the wind and brutal alpine sun

ishootbambi
08-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Your list looks pretty good. I've never met you but I can see from the list that you know what you're doing. I'd leave one or two of those items myself but whichever. Look forward to the after pics.

444marlin
08-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Before I do a remote trip I get my dentist to prescribe course of antibiotics.
I do not want to have a tooth go south in the middle of nowhere and not have something
to deal with it. Never had to use it but sure want to have it handy.
I have had that discomfort (pain) and it is not fun.

Carbonmatrix
08-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Thanks again guys, great ideas. I appreciate all the knowledge and wisdom, if we have a successful venture I will have a nice write up and video.

primmed99
08-13-2016, 05:52 PM
thats a nice list of gear, man

Would love some critique on my gear list, should I add or remove anything? Gonna be gone 7 days. Some of the items will be share carried.

Hilleberg Jannu tent
WM Badger 15 sleeping bag
Exped downmat 7 pad
Hilleberg UL 10 tarp
Leki carbon poles
Custom 7mm wby mountain rifle
Swarovski z5 5-25x52 rifle scope
Swarovski el range 10x42
Swarovski ats hd 65mm spotter
Outdoorsmen medium compact tripod
Garmin Oregon 650t
Kifaru emr ii and duplex frame
Hanwag trapper boots
Thorlos socks 2 pair
FL kanab 2.0
FL allegheny base layer bottom
First lite red desert 2 pair
FL Storm tight boundary rain jacket + pants
FL uncompaghre puffy
FL llano qz
FL Chamma hoody
Fl beanie cap
Fl neck gaiter
Fl gloves
Platypus water filter
Min sawyer straw
Msr reactor stove
Isobutane 2
Spork
2 large trash bags
Caribou game bags 2
Havalon piranta knife
12 blades
Leather man multi tool
50' paracord
Elk calls
Camelbak water bladder
Nalgene water bottle with duct tape
Box of ammo
Wet wipes and toilet paper
Tooth brush and paste
Small soap bar
Mountain house 7
Instant coffee
Protein bar 7
Chocolate bar 7
Nuts

thanks guys

primmed99
08-13-2016, 05:54 PM
YES doug is the man hands down the most experienced on that river and goes into that country 365 days a year he is a jackpine savage and a awesome guy

Call Doug and Sandy McKee at Muskwa River Adventures ASAP! 250-775-0760 Cant say enough good comments, Highly reliable and worth the nickel! Kevin W. knows them. Doug is a new packer but an old river boat pro! The Muskwa is his back yard. Awesome boat! His e-mail doug_McKee@Hotmail.com Don't procrastinate, its getting late to book. Urs can always fit you in too if you wish to fly in. You won't walk out with an Elk between two men? Just boat or fly out.