PDA

View Full Version : New to The Thunder Bugle

Caveman
06-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Looking for tips on how you guys use it, like which reed do like the best. I told my dad I'd take him out this year and try some calling during the rut so I picked up the Thunder Bugle and Hoochie Mama because of various reviews and recomendations. Any special tricks to it, it seems quite simple, except to get the sound one wants.

Jetboater
06-19-2007, 07:42 AM
always the white reed, make sure you have a few spares as well...keep your bugles short, you can always tell a hunter casue they dont stop squeeling away on the bugle...
as for the hoochie Mama I would buy a second cow call as well cause I have had them fail in the past... get yourself a primos hyperlip single.. seems to work really well for me and our group..

mark
06-19-2007, 08:07 PM
All good advise, definately have a few reeds, and like i said, buy a elk bugling video and practice tons!!! Until you can mimic the pros, also listen to what the pro elk hunters do, and how the elk responds, and then how the hunters respond to the elk! Then after you call in your first bull, your hooked for life!

luckynuts
07-06-2007, 06:07 AM
Ditto what they said...I also used the red and black reeds all three worked for me.

The thunder combined with other calls brought in 7 bulls last year, very exciting to say the least 8).....

30-06
07-06-2007, 07:00 AM
i use the hootchie mama,the bugle with the reed on it,and a separate reed.i got an electronic call for Christmas for practicing with.its really helpful just remember never to take it out hunting.very bad idea

Spitzer
07-06-2007, 07:52 AM
I have a Berry Thunder bugle , Primos Terminator, and Elk Inc. Power Bugle. Of those three, I much prefer the Elk Inc. Power bugle for ease of use and sound.

With the Berry Thunder bugle, we like the white reeds. X2 on getting a couple different bugles and couple different cow calls. You never know when one will fail, using multiple calls also changes up the sound.

greatwhitehunter_30.06
07-22-2007, 12:27 PM
i have the Elk inc. Power Bugle as well and that combined with the hoochie mama last year we were deer hunting and while we were driving into our area to walk we saw a cow elk in the middle of the block (never seen or heard of and elk in this area before) so we started calling and we called a 4 pt. bull within 30 ft. of the truck!!! so i think that that was a true test of their ability to mimic the true sounds of an elk.

chevy
07-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I have heard good things about the thunder bugle but i gota say i am gonna stick to the reids in my mouth i find it to be way better, dont get me wrong everything else works good also, and it is fun to use espeially while you are in full draw with your bow and still giving out a cow squeel its great

calvin L
07-30-2007, 07:26 PM
I have used the thunder bugle for 10 years now I think it is the best one out there. Just don't over use it . Stick to cow calls after locating the bulls . The white reed is the easiest to use . The call will work with the reed up or down it is up to you to find out witch will work best for you . They also have a model that retracks to save space and it sound the same . Have fun finding out & good luck

calvin L

kgriz
09-29-2007, 08:13 PM
I've noticed that the new Thunder Bugles come with an elastic piece to hold the cover over the reed; if you don't like this or lose it, tie the string that holds the cover short just so that the cover will barely go on over the reed and mouthpiece. The force of the string holding the cover on like this will ensure that you won't lose any reeds. I had a green reed that I used for 2 seasons that got old and overworn but this seemed to produce the exact pitch as a big bull but then I lost it. Now I'm disapointed with all of the colors as none of them sound as good to me. Fortunately a big 6 point thought that a new green reed sounded just fine the other day and I don't need my bugle til next year. As for the Hoochie Mama, it sure sounds great but I lost mine in the same encounter because I left it on the ground when I had to glass and shoot; it is hard to use while spotting or shooting and I'm not sure that it will be replaced with another.

lunatic
09-30-2007, 11:11 AM
I also have the thunder bugle, terminator, and the power bugle as well as about half a dozen various cow calls. The power bugle IMHO has the best sound and is the easiest to learn to use. The nice thing about it is you can make your own bands using a set of latex gloves and cutting strips from the smaller fingers. Sounds as good or better than the store bought ones. The Hoochie Mama is a good call but I also really like the Screery cow call. Sounds really good and can be used hands free when in close and personal.

Caveman
09-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I picked up the power bugle as well and have to agree, it's the easiest one to use consistantly. I can make the Thunder Bugle work, find the Power bugle effortless.