PDA

View Full Version : scarpa boots

tbocking
08-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Just destroyed my kenetrek mountain extremes on a goat hunt and need to replace them asap as I leave in a couple of days for sheep. Im looking at the Scarpa Mont Blanc anyone own them and have any kind of review about them?
Thanks Ted

RiverRunner
08-10-2016, 04:37 PM
a favourite boot among many mountain hunter who frequent the american hunting forum "rokslide"

If they fit, and you find them comfortable….. I suspect they should serve you very well.

kevan
08-10-2016, 04:50 PM
This is of no help to you because I don't know what model of Scarpa I wear but for an all round comfortable and rugged boot I will only buy their product.
I'm on my second pair, the first we're all leather still useable and as comfortable as gloves.
My Meindls are in the back of the boot closet waiting for a garage sale..

BgBlkDg
08-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Scarpa, are among the finest boots one can buy and I wear mine seven days a week. I have "Concordias" and "Fuegos", which are as stiff and heavy a boot as I will now wear, due to age and crioppling leg issues/injuries.

I detest boots with GT, just loathe them and I have used them in BC to the point where I avoid them like I do "Lieberals". I much prefer FGL-leatherlined boots proofed with Obenauf's. YMMV, of course.

I have found that full-on climbing boots are too stiff and heavy in BC hunting mountains, unless you do wear crampons and climb into glaciated RM Goat country. I would certainly try on the Mont Blancs, but, also "Wrangells" and my faves, "Fuegos".

IF, you can get them from Yurp, the BEST of breed in this are the superb Galibier "Super Guides" made in France and these are worth the hassle and cost, IMHO. I have a pair of mint Galibier Vercours which a guy In California, sent me for the postage and I save these for steep and harsh country as I wore SGs for years climbing, hunting and working in the mountains, mostly in the Kootenays and they outlasted anything else.

IF the lasts work for you, the Scarpa S2 works for me much like Hanwags or the old real Meindl Perfekts, I would go with the MBs if in a hurry as the quality is certainly there. HTH.

Bear Chaser
08-10-2016, 05:31 PM
I've been using a pair of Scarpa Liskams for the past four(?) years. Good on the mountain and relatively comfortable when I'm sitting on a horse. I find they are a little stiff for walking on a flat surface however the slightly rockered sole helps keep me going when fatigue starts.
I haven't heard many complaints about Hanwags and may try those next if I ever wear the Scarpas out.

xcaribooer
08-10-2016, 05:45 PM
love my scarpa escapes

jtred
08-10-2016, 05:46 PM
I've been wearing Scarpa GTX with the full grain leather and a full rand for five years now. They are by far and away the best boots I've ever owned. I wear them on all my hikes, alpine hunts(day hunts and back pack multi-day trips), and for snowshoeing all winter. They are a great backpacking boot that can take the abuse mountain hunting entails. Not cheap though.

The Hermit
08-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Unless you are planning on climbing, as in with ropes and harnesses, you will probably find them too stiff. I went with Scarpa's Kinesis Pro GTX model and they are very good although the first pair leaked and had to be returned.

tbocking
08-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the input so far I just got home from guiding a goat, now I am leaving in a couple of days to do a sheep hunt with my daughter. After that I still have 4 more goats to guide for. My problem is I'm screwed I dont have time to shop around much I need something in the next couple of days. That model of boots is the best I can get in the interior at this time. My biggest question is how are they with a fairly heavy pack on for long hikes. I can see from checking them out they will be great in the nasty stuff.
Thanks Ted

warnniklz
08-10-2016, 08:50 PM
Unless you are planning on climbing, as in with ropes and harnesses, you will probably find them too stiff. I went with Scarpa's Kinesis Pro GTX model and they are very good although the first pair leaked and had to be returned.

I have the same pair. Love mine. Wish they were slightly higher in the ankle, but that's just nit-picking. My buddy has a pair, as well as his girlfriend. They both spend a lot of time in the bush working in silvaculture.

RiverRunner
08-10-2016, 08:51 PM
those boots will excel for what your doing……...

sherpa-Al
08-10-2016, 09:04 PM
My Scarpa GTX's are an unreal boot. Light, waterproof, comfortable and durable, can't go wrong with a pair of these....goats and sheep despise them!

Brew
08-10-2016, 09:07 PM
I tried on the mont blancs on the other day and loved them but they didn't quite have my size. They come in 1/3 sizes I believe. They were super comfy and had great movement up and down and the ankle support was rock solid. I have one bad ankle and need all the support I can get. I wish they were a little bit taller. I just prefer taller cut boots. I bet they would stand up well for me and I'm rough on boots hunting and while buying timber for work.
another great boot is the lowa gtx hunter.

glennw89
08-10-2016, 09:15 PM
I have had La Sportiva, Asolo, Zamberlan, and other top end boots. They are all solid choices, but my current pick is the Arc'teryx Bora boots. I have beaten them hard in all conditions (winter, summer, full packs, off trail bushwhacking) and find them superbly comfortable and very nimble. You may want to check them out.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Footwear&subcat=Boots&model=Bora2-Mid-GTX-Hiking-Boot

Gumsehwah
08-11-2016, 12:31 AM
Vasque boots feel more comfortable out of the box, but I went with the Scarpas. I find that the scarpas are a much more "serious" boot... they have more substantial "negotiating" weight.

SR80
08-11-2016, 06:09 AM
brand new boots on a sheep hunt...:shock: I had a pair, very stiff boot. Great for the rocks and stuff, but not so good on the trail to get to the rocks in my opinion. Not made for the trail i know. Kept my feet pretty toasty in the late season too.

BgBlkDg
08-11-2016, 06:49 AM
Well, obviously, you have some serious mountain hunting experience and know what feels best on YOUR feet. I tend to prefer slightly less stiff and lighter boots, but, am 70 and my days of solo, high altitude, steep and harsh country backpacking are largely behind me....so, if these are what you can find and fit very well, I would go for it.

I would suggest a light coat, well worked in, of Nixwax on the leather as this will help to preserve it and even keep the GT "alive" longer. These boots will be "hot" and you might consider carrying spare socks and footpowder in your day pack. Few things are worse than a bad blister when in the mountains with a long trek back to your vehicle......55 years of wearing serious boots in BC's hills have taught me that "the hard way"...... :(

Zedbra
08-11-2016, 07:41 AM
I have had La Sportiva, Asolo, Zamberlan, and other top end boots. They are all solid choices, but my current pick is the Arc'teryx Bora boots. I have beaten them hard in all conditions (winter, summer, full packs, off trail bushwhacking) and find them superbly comfortable and very nimble. You may want to check them out.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Footwear&subcat=Boots&model=Bora2-Mid-GTX-Hiking-Boot

I picked these boots up earlier in the year, including the additional insulated inserts for when it gets really cold. I've worn them around and they have been comfy thus far, looking forward to trying them out this hunting season. Are you using any particular brand inserts that you have found works well with the boot?

GoatGuy
08-11-2016, 07:46 AM
Favorite boots.

Had just about every other kind, currently in the hangwags and can't seem to figure out why I went away from scarpas. For mountain hunting they are the best.

kootenayslam
08-11-2016, 08:01 AM
really like my wrangells, heavy but that's needed for heavy guys or heavy packs

Rotorwash
08-11-2016, 09:05 AM
I just picked up a set of scarpa sl actives. I wore them for a few light 5 k hikes but I'm going to give them a heavy pack hike today and let you know what I think. So far they're pretty comfy tho

glennw89
08-11-2016, 10:24 AM
I picked these boots up earlier in the year, including the additional insulated inserts for when it gets really cold. I've worn them around and they have been comfy thus far, looking forward to trying them out this hunting season. Are you using any particular brand inserts that you have found works well with the boot?

I just have the factory footbeds in at the moment. I use a thin Smartwool hiking sock and have had no problems with hot spots or blisters. I've been impressed with them so far and friends of mine have used them on backpacking trips as tough as any hunt so I am sure they will hold up for me in a hunting context as well.

Tuffguy
08-11-2016, 09:21 PM
I have also been looking at Scarpas for work (geology and surveying) and also for hunting. What sort of warranty comes with these boots? I have been trying to decide between Scarpa and Meindl 200 gram Alaskan Hunter boots from Cabelas. I like the idea of the warranty from Cabelas where I can return them at anytime and not just within the year from when they were bought. Could anyone provide some insight on a comparison between these boots. Co-workers of mine who have the Meindls swear by them but so do the co workers with the Scarpas.

Brew
08-12-2016, 09:28 PM
I went and tried on a bunch of boots today. I have totally hiked the soles down to nothing on my lowa gtx hunters so it was time for replacing before my sheep hunt.
Another boot I have is a Mendel that is caulked for work. Comfy boot but only lasted 1.5 years compared to four with the lowas. The lowas are still good so I might caulk those ones if it's possible.
i tried the lowa gtx evo today alongside hanwag trapper gtx. It was a tough decision because the lowas have a great lacing system and lasted me before but I went with the hanwags.
The hanwags fit me slightly better in width and had a little thicker traction. Also they had a nice rocker in the toe section that made walking on flat ground a little easier than the lowa Hunter evo.
Time to wax em up and start hiking with some weight.

GoatGuy
08-14-2016, 07:52 PM
I went and tried on a bunch of boots today. I have totally hiked the soles down to nothing on my lowa gtx hunters so it was time for replacing before my sheep hunt.
Another boot I have is a Mendel that is caulked for work. Comfy boot but only lasted 1.5 years compared to four with the lowas. The lowas are still good so I might caulk those ones if it's possible.
i tried the lowa gtx evo today alongside hanwag trapper gtx. It was a tough decision because the lowas have a great lacing system and lasted me before but I went with the hanwags.
The hanwags fit me slightly better in width and had a little thicker traction. Also they had a nice rocker in the toe section that made walking on flat ground a little easier than the lowa Hunter evo.
Time to wax em up and start hiking with some weight.
Experience with lowas: Spend close to $500, boots shrink after one sheep hunt. Apparently not covered by manufacturer, so got them stretched. One more hunt and they shrunk again so gave them away. Spendy mistake. Boots were never exposed to any kind of heat, fire, or vent in the truck lol.

Hanwags are comfy but don't have the same support as scarpas.

two-feet
08-15-2016, 06:27 AM
Had to get boots this weekend and tried on scarpas and hanwags. Both well constructed but the scarps were too stiff for me, the hanwags alaska gtx just felt very comfortable right away. They are a substantial boot and will be better for packing than stalking but i cant wait to hunt in them this fall

Rodd
08-15-2016, 08:03 AM
I work in forestry, in the mountains, and all the experienced guys here wear La Sportiva Nepal tops, and a few sets of scarpas. I have used Asolo and Scarpa and have worn out both pairs, looking at the lasportiva Nepal tops for my next set. Expensive, but tough and comfortable. Seem to last the bush beatings put on them here in the koot's. They are stiff (for ice climbing) but I find the solid shank a must for the mountains, a little less ideal for pounding it down a gravel road, but you get used to walking the roads with time.. IMHO

Coop
08-15-2016, 11:38 AM
I've been using the Crispi Hunter GTX for the last couple of seasons. By far the most comfortable boot I've worn and seem to be holding up well to the abuse. Like Brew I prefer a taller boot so these fit the bill nicely. I'll definitely get these boots again.

j270wsm
08-15-2016, 06:13 PM
I've had scarpa's for 12yrs and love them. Only problem with them is the rand is pealing on the toe of both boots. Any recommendations for a good boot repair shop.

BgBlkDg
08-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Get some "barge cement" and glue them back yourself. These rands are just a cheap way of building mountain boots, I dislike them as it is far more difficult to correctly fit the boots and ALL makes of these delaminate from the leather vamp.

This is aggravated by heavy waxing and trying to wax tightly to the line where the rand ends and the vamp begins. It is part of why NO leather boot is really waterproof, especially in wet spring snow such as in the West Kootenays.

If, your boots are wearing through at the toe cap, use "Shoe Goo" to build a new hard cap-works fine, looks ugly, but, who cares.

Brew
08-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Google Tough Toe. Us guys in forestry that use mountain boots that have been caulked put this on the toes of our boots. Lots of times you find yourself stepping on your own toes and peeling off the rubber rand with the sharp caulks. Broken branches seem to do a number on the rubber rand as well. It's best to apply this stuff before waxing your boots for the first time.
makes them look a little ugly but makes your boots last a lot longer. I'm sure if you put it all around your rand it would help keep it in place longer as well. I've only tried the toe.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/Bare20/5ffbfb99053e08a834ab523234ac29ce_zpsgzba57rl.jpg

tbocking
08-31-2016, 07:33 PM
UPDATE
Scarpa boots are pretty awesome the heels were a little uncomfortable for two days but no blisters. They were definitely not too stiff for normal hiking with weight on. Everyday they got more comfortable. As far as going up and down hill they were great the soles provided very good traction. After a good hunt so far I'm very impressed with the quality.

Bobfl
08-31-2016, 08:07 PM
Iv had scarpa for three seasons. needed no breakin, trick is keep leather conditioned. best boot ive owned, three yrs and they still look new. I do extreme hunts and put them through hell and back

Iron Sighted
09-02-2016, 08:28 PM
I have a pair of Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX Pro's and mine have been amazing so far, easily the best footwear I've ever owned for quality. Keep my feet warm in -20 as long as I'm moving a bit. I bought mine for ice climbing, but have done climbs that involved 16km of hiking round trip with 40lbs of climbing gear on my back with a full day of climbing sandwiched between and my feet were as comfortable as I can imagine they could be under the circumstances.

Definitely one product I would have zero resevations recommending to someone else. As someone else mentioned before, also try out the La Sportiva Nepal Evo's, they are very similar boots in regards to function and construction/build quality but have a different last that may fit better depending on the shape of your foot. Mountaineering boots are a big investment, make sure you try a bunch on because fit is the most important thing, Scarpa's, Sportiva's, Lowa's, etc. are all going to be high quality boots, but how they fit will make or break the deal.