PDA

View Full Version : Conclusion to my first sheep hunt!

MattErickson
08-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Well as some of you remember, I posted my gear list and got lots of advice for my first sheep hunt, well I planned for 15 days and seeing that I am back early it means I either got injured… or my tag is cut!

Fortunately I get to tell you about the tag cutting! So here it goes

July 30th, I left Prince George in the afternoon and drove as far as I could go until around 1am and then crashed in the back of the truck, starting to see sheep mountains for the first time drove my excitement to an all new level.

July 31st, I drove the rest of the way to my starting point. As I approached the starting point of my hike I noticed someone else parked at the base of the ridge that I had planned on hiking up. I knew there would be other people but I was a little bummed out as my gameplan had to change before I even got up the mountain.

I chose the ridge to south of where the other guys parked and started my way up. The 79lb pack that I had was sure a tough load but after 4 hours of climbing over deadfall, and scrambling through the nasty transition zone into the alpine I had my first real look at the mountains I would call home for next while.

I set up camp in the first place that was semi-flat and had a bit of shelter from the wind. By 2pm I had a small pack and headed out to do some glassing of the area and find some water (water is hard to find on these ridges and the creek was a long ways down).

I found a small snow patch a ways from camp and spirits were high as I knew I would have water for the trip so I continued on to find a nice glassing place. 20 minutes into glassing a ram stood up and I picked up his white rear end. First stone sheep I had ever seen! The spotting scope came out and I was amazed as he had some serious curlage and deserved a closer look.

I moved around the ridge and set up on him. He was still a little far to be 100% sure but I was about 90% sure he was a full curl ram. I couldn’t believe it, first afternoon and I had a ram to go after!

I looked up the ridge from where I was sitting and I saw 2 other sheep hunters sitting maybe 100 yards away…. I was expecting the worst as they starting coming down to me as I had heard horror stories of how some sheep hunters may act and as a solo hunter on my first hunt I was expecting to be told to find somewhere else to hunt.

I was pleasantly surprised as these two guys were some of the nicest hunters I have ever met. They hadn’t seen the ram but directed me to 10 other rams on the same face I was glassing. We talked that evening for a while and we decided to team up for at least part of the hunt. Having 2 experienced sheep hunters teaching me was something I am still so grateful for. I went back to camp that night with high expectations for the rest of the hunt.

August 1st Opening day!

Up before the sun and I started hiking towards Mike and Ron’s camp which was an hour up the ridge. We started glassing and immediately picked up rams but nothing worth chasing.

We spotted one ¾ curl ram bedded on skyline that pinned us down for a couple hours. Once he moved we proceeded on. As we approached one bluffy section on the ridge, Mike and I climbed up top and Ron decided to glass from below the bluff and have a nap in the sun.

Just as Mike and I came over the small bluff we spotted horns. We stopped and there was a larger, 7 year old ram (not full curl) and a banana ram bedded maybe 50 metres away. Pinned down again! We didn’t want to spook any rams in case they busted other ones as they ran off. We waited there for half an hour or so and then the rams got up and started moving around the bluff right towards Ron. We threw some rocks at Ron to wake him up and motioned for him to climb up the bluff so that the rams wouldn’t spot him. It seemed like forever as he put his boots on and his hat and pack (he had no idea why we were in a hurry). As he got settled in the bluff the rams rounded the corner and the coolest thing happened. 10meters below us the two rams came around the bluff, then the big ram stopped right where Ron was napping, smelled the ground, shook his head and turned around and made his way into some escape terrain! We were free to move on

We moved down the ridge to another glassing point where we sat for around 5 hours. We spotted 2 legal rams on the ridge to the south but decided we would look on our ridge for a couple more days before spotting them.

We heard 11 shots on that ridge to the south and 8 more further east from where we were. At 5 o’clock I decided I would break away and head up the ridge a bit further to glass into some nasty cliffy stuff. Once I got up I immediately saw 3 good rams working their way through the little basin. Up came the spotting scope and 2 were confirmed legal and 1 other was broomed off and heavier than the other (likely 8 years old). They were around 900 metres so I snuck back down the ridge and called up Mike and Ron. They had also seen the rams and Mike was within 150m but it was too steep of an angle to confirm if they were legal. We watched the rams for a couple hours and decided we would go after them again in the morning as they fed their way into a place we couldn’t make a stalk.

August 2nd
Up at 4am and headed to the place we last saw the legal rams. We glassed for 5 hours and never turned them up again so Mike and I decided to go up the mountain and around to the ridge on the opposite side that the rams were on. We saw approximately 15 other rams on our way around but nothing legal.

After glassing on a point of another ridge for a few hours we both laid down and had a nap. I awoke to Mike slapping my chest and as soon as I opened my eyes I saw rams! We were sleeping just above a sheep trail and around the corner came 8 rams within 5meters. Laying perfectly still we let them all move around us. No legal ones! Which mighta been a good thing as we had our guns a little ways away and it would have been a scramble to shoot a ram. All of those rams proceeded around the corner and stood on a small glacier eating the snow and getting away from bugs.

As 6 oclock rolled around Mike decided he would make his way back to camp. I opted to set up my siltarp and sleep right there so I was in the middle of rams in the morning. (I didn’t think to pack my sleeping bag or thermarest)
That night was the coldest night I have ever experienced! I slept in all my clothes and on top of my pack. I shook uncontrollably all night and didn’t get a wink of sleep. At 3am I was so cold that I had to fire up my jetboil and try to warm up at least a little bit.

MattErickson
08-10-2016, 12:55 PM
August 3rd
As the sun started to come up and I started to thaw out I watched 6 rams feed over the adjacent ridge. Through the spotting scope I immediately became excited in the one ram. He was a beautiful light colored ram and he appeared to be above the bridge of his nose. He fed off with a small ram into a nice green patch. I dropped behind the ridge I was on and snuck into a position directly across from them.

Being my first sheep hunt and alone I watched the ram until noon on 60 power through my spotter. I was convinced…100% sure he was legal. My heart started to race as I decided what my gameplan would be.

I didn’t think there was any way to drop in from above as the slope was completely open. I decided to pull out my rangefinder….. Oops I forgot it at camp. I estimated the range to be 400 yards and in my comfort zone with my .270 winchester. I settled in and got rock steady. The ram stood up and BOOM..

The rock blew up below him… further than I thought, he ran a ways and looked back… I raised up a bit… BOOM… again under him …. Now he really took off. I sunk into the deepest despair as I lay there watching the rams run off. I blew it… they’re gone

Ron and Mike could see me shoot and they both looked at eachother and said, “that doesn’t look like someone who just shot a ram”

I got up slowly and watched the hillside with my binos…. Then a miracle happened. The rams appeared in the cliffs above where they had run, the big ram looked around trying to figure out what had just happened. I watched them for 15 minutes through the spotter and then they bedded down… looking away from me… I couldn’t believe it.

I decided if they were dumb enough to stick around then I was going to give it another try. I backed around the ridge and as quickly as I could I ran up the mountain to approach from the cliffs above.

As I was sidehilling on my way to the cliffs I busted a big group of rams. The lead ram was big but he was headed away, following him was mostly small rams but there was one that was really unique, he just had 2 great big balls of horn. That was sure cool to see.

I proceeded on. As I got into the cliffs above where the rams should be I took my time and glassed every new piece of country I could see. As I got onto one of the big cliffs I looked down and 200 yards away (almost straight down) on a little green patch were 6 rams… I found them. My heart started to race. I brought out the spotter and confirmed 100% that the same ram was in the group. I set up and waited.

After half an hour he stood up to stretch… BOOM… All the rams jumped up and they just looked at me… no sign he was hit… I shot again… BOOM… the big ram looked at me again, no sign he was hit and ran around the corner…. I couldn’t believe it… Had I just missed again?? I sat down and just shook my head in disbelief.

I climbed higher into the cliffs, looked down and I could see his horn laying there.

Words cannot even describe how overjoyed I was at that moment. There he lay… my dream.. a full curl ram.

I descended down the cliffs and nasty chutes and finally arrived to where he lay. He died on a green patch just before falling off the cliff and down a chute. I boned him out as the fog and rain came in and made my way back to camp. He had 2 perfect holes right through lungs! I still don’t understand why he didn’t react to getting hit at all

When I got back to camp Ron informed me that they got a goat! They were overjoyed I managed to get a ram and the celebrations were on.

August 4th
We had buried all the meat and the cape in the snowbank and took the day off as it was foggy and nasty and impossible to class.

August 5th
We hunted all day looking for rams for Ron and Mike without any luck. There were some close rams but nothing we could confidently say were legal.

One more cool experience happened on that day. We were descending down a sheep trail, I was in the lead with Mike and Ron maybe 50metres behind. I saw horns over the little rise and immediately dropped down and signaled to them to get down. Over the little rise 5 rams materialized. All the rams stood at maybe 5-10 yards away from me and just stared. A small banana ram then made his way within arms length trying to figure out what I was. It was unbelievable! I was sure they could have seen me breathing! They eventually lost interest and went on their way. (They couldn’t smell us as the thermals were really strong coming up)

August 6th
I took the day off to heal up as I had tweeked my knee and had lots to pack out the next day. Ron and Mike spent the day looking for rams but didn’t have any luck harvesting one.

August 7th
Mike and Ron split the goat meat and were able to get all of camp out in one shot. With my knee still hurting I opted to take one trip with ~80lbs of meat back down the mountain and then return for another 70lbs of camp and horns.

By the end of that day I was more exhausted than I have ever been in my life. As I descended the nasty steep stuff with my second load of the day I was muttering at why anyone would ever go through this much work for an animal…. By the time I hit the big timber that was easier going I started planning in my head for next years sheep hunt!!

I am addicted to sheep hunting that is for sure.

Potatoes, carrots and sausages sure tasted great that night.

I had the best hunt of my entire life! It far exceeded my wildest expectation and I saw way more sheep that I thought I would. I couldn’t have asked for a better first sheep hunt and I met two great, new friends on the mountain. Hope everyone has a great season!

Side note: I will never forget to bring a little bag of sunscreen (my face is peeling off now lol)

Spy
08-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Awesome stuff :-) keep it coming :-)

MattErickson
08-10-2016, 01:01 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5939&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5940&stc=1

adriaticum
08-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing.

Spy
08-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Wow big congrats and thank you for sharing your hunt with us. Well done :-)

Travalanche
08-10-2016, 01:09 PM
Wicked story! Congrats!

kodiak18
08-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Good for you and nice ram!! We head out on Saturday. Can't wait

albravo2
08-10-2016, 01:14 PM
So awesome!

Great story, thanks for sharing with us.

sheep hunter
08-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Great story and congrats on your first sheep.

Brew
08-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Way to go Matt. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I'm envious of you. A sheep on your first hunt is quite an accomplishment.

smallfry14
08-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Awesome! thanks for sharing. Hopefully my first sheep hunt is as eventful as yours!

MB_Boy
08-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Congrats Matt and thanks for taking us along!

I think I saw your pic on FBook directed at HowtoHunt's page.

Knute
08-10-2016, 01:33 PM
You can feel the excitement and sense of accomplishment in your report. Nice write up and photos.

Congrats and good luck on your next trip!

J_T
08-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Well written. Concise and entertaining. Congratulations on the kill.

Kopper
08-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Nice ram and congrats on that hunt!

08-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Nice work!! Thanks for sharing!

Boner
08-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Wow, he's a dandy. Thanks for sharing, and that's great you met up with some fellow sheep hunters who were cool.

Fella
08-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Nice ram! Thanks for the story, always love sheep stories!

kennyj
08-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Awesome Ram and great story!! Thanks for sharing your adventure.
kenny

kevan
08-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Congrats Matt, awesome thread to read !
Beautiful Ram, can you tell us what you used for rifle and load ?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Huge congrats Matt!! Not many first sheep hunts end this way.

Awesome!!

SSS

Xenomorph
08-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Awesome story and ram, thanks for sharing.

HarryToolips
08-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Very nice ram, congrats!

FortBoy
08-10-2016, 03:52 PM
great write up, congrats on your ram bud! thanks for sharing

hatepassword
08-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Loved the write up. Congrats on a nice looking animal!

ECWC
08-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Great job on a dandy ram!

sabourin
08-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Great story! Congrats!

nature girl
08-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Matt congradulations on getting your first sheep. That was a great story. And a bonus those 2 other guys were helping you out and cool to. Instead of being dicks that said "you were in there spot".

charlie_horse
08-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Awesome story and congratulations!

ThinAir
08-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Congrats!! Awesome story and a great ram! Musta been the lucky jacket:)

MattErickson
08-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys! I musta had horseshoes! I used a .270 winchester with 150gr hornady interbonds and 54.5g of IMR 4831

250 sav
08-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Good job, you made a plan and accomplished a goal. Good read thanks for posting.

goatdancer
08-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Great story, great ram. Congratulations. Now you're hooked.

08-10-2016, 07:45 PM
What a terrific story of your first time success. Many go for years and years with several trips over that time to not be so lucky. You must have been given some good Intel . Very nice looking Ram you have there, looks very similar to my first Stone. I hope you caped him out well and get a good taxi, for years you can admire your prize and looking up at this Ram will put a smile on your face again like you had when you first put your hands around those horns.
Congrats to you on your hard work, no Ram, or most are easy. Your hard work payed off.
how did them ribs taste around the fire? That has to be one of the best most rewarding meals one can ever have.

Looking forward to the mount pic.

CT

Arctic Lake
08-10-2016, 08:04 PM
Thanks for sharing your great adventure !
Arctic Lake

nolimits
08-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Wow, nice read. Congrats on this beauty!

gcreek
08-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Great story, nice ram. Thanks.

jimzuk
08-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks for posting. Do you have any more pictures. Sounds like an awsome trip

Rattler
08-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Nice ram and a great story. Congrats, not many connect on their first sheep hunt.

Thanks for sharing!

bearvalley
08-10-2016, 08:59 PM
A great ram and story. Like others have said most first time sheep hunts dont turn out this way. You worked hard and earned it. Congrats!!!

Sitkaspruce
08-10-2016, 09:14 PM
Great ram, awesome story!!!!

Thanks for sharing and bringing us along!!!

Congrats on your first Ram!!

Cheers

SS

Hammerhead
08-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Great post and story, thanks for taking us along. Sounds like you were in Ram heaven with all the Rams you guys saw. Got me stoked for my up coming hunt. Thanks for that!!
Congrats on a great trophy
HH

whitlers
08-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Awesome story! I couldn't stop reading! Congrats!!

Jagermeister
08-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Very enjoyable read. Nicely written and succinct, holds a person's interest to the end and wanting more. Congratulations on the culmination of your first sheep hunt.

cas-has-cars
08-10-2016, 11:20 PM
Great Hunt, Like your honesty about the missed shoots. You earned this one.
I leave Friday for another climb into sheep country, still looking for my first.
This is the year!

wideopenthrottle
08-10-2016, 11:42 PM
wow...great story...lots of nice sights...excellent experiences with animals and people...do you wish you would have tried to get out in one trip in hindsight or convinced that 2 trips was the way to go?

Red_Mist
08-11-2016, 12:20 AM
Great ram !

MattErickson
08-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Seeing that I got out without any injuries I am glad that I took two trips. Some of the tangle transition zone between timber and alpine as well as the couple cliffy sections that had to be decended would have been hell with a 130-140lb pack.

BPH
08-11-2016, 08:16 AM
Thanks for sharing. I still remember the pain of my 1st sheep hunt,
I'm going crazy for my 1st trip of the year, only a week to wait

Skull Hunter
08-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Thanks for sharing your story. This site needs more recaps like this. It's probably what brought us all here after all! Congrats on a great ram!

whitetailsheds
08-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Very nice Matt!! Congrats on your ram!! Well done on your write up, and putting it up here to share!! Very nice read!!

DBradner
08-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Huge Congrats !! always great meeting friendly helpful people on the mountain. Great adventure and story. Thanks for sharing

Jrax
08-12-2016, 11:12 AM
I have been checking at least 2x a day for any sheep hunting stories. Thanks for sharing! Congrats on a beauty ram!

.264winmag
08-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Awesome trip, beauty ram. A 4 hr hike to get into that many rams is something else! And yes a rangefinder is your best friend chasing sheep/goats;) Congrats, nice work.

Krico
08-12-2016, 04:25 PM
A 4 hr hike to get into that many rams is something else!
That was my thought as well.

Congrats on your first ram, and thank you for sharing!

bacon_overlord
08-13-2016, 10:45 PM
Great well written story, inspiring for sure. Congrats!

ydouask
08-14-2016, 07:15 AM
Great hunt, you've shown us all what is possible, congratulations !:)

campking
08-14-2016, 08:01 AM
Congrats on your ram and thank you for sharing your story it was fantastic!!

northof49
08-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Congrats Matt....sure must have been fun. Those ups and downs and twists and turns are what makes it so rewarding when it all comes together. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

evilginger
08-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing