PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on which Elk bugle to buy?! save me money on buying the wrong one thanks!

Logan
08-09-2016, 06:23 PM
So I know that Elk hunting is one of those things that people work really hard to get good at, and I can appreciate not giving up any secrets, especially over the internet for the world to see haha. I am just wondering which Elk call I should buy, there is so many different options and I really don't want to buy one that sucks or is hard to use.

Ive never hunted elk before but I booked time off in early September to do some hiking/hunting in the east Kootenays. Any advice on which bugle to buy or even how to use it cuz i'm totally clueless right now.... it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

boblly1
08-09-2016, 06:40 PM
i dont know about the koots but if you ever get a draw for cameron\ franklin river on vancover island i will walk you up to them lol

WKCotts
08-09-2016, 06:48 PM
If you are just getting started now and want to hunt in September I would buy a bugle that has a built in reed ie power bugle. After your hunt buy some mouth reeds and start practicing for the next season. Buy several different reeds as they will all fit and sound a little different.

Cow calls are your friend.

Good luck

charlie_horse
08-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Everyone will say it's too late to learn to use a diaphram Reed but I'd get one and practice your ass off. You can learn to do a variety of calls pretty fast.

blackbart
08-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Cow call my friend. Bugle only to locate and then turn it off. At least until you get good. One f'ed up bugle and game over. Trust me, this advice comes from experience. Would you rather fight or screw????

Bugle M In
08-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Some of the Primos Cow Calls are really good.
Also from Bugling Bull http://buglingbull.com/
Both make easy to use cow calls
As for bull calls...mouth reeds are best.
But, it ain't for everyone.
Power bugle is good, but rubber bands don't hold up well if you are not careful
Primos with any of the blue diaphragms work well.
I like the bugling bull for bulls, as it is sort of a hybrid between mouth reed and regular bugle.
Just my thoughts, but everyone has success with many different brands....abe and son etc.
Personal preference, and don't be surprised if you own a few by the time you have settled on the one you like.

LuckyIfYouGetOne
08-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Bugling bull has a great selection of calls and YouTube videos how to use.

Logan
08-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Awesome! thanks a bunch everyone, Looks like i'll be buying a bugle and a cow call. I've got a lot to learn in 3 weeks, but wish me luck and hopefully i'll have some cool pics to post when I get back from the hunt!

northof49
08-09-2016, 11:59 PM
Power bugle works well and IMO is fairly easy to get the hang of. Just be sure to buy a bunch of extra bands so you can change them out once stretched. I use the white bands. Recommend a fresh band each outing. Key is practicing until you get the hang of correct mouth position and angle. Just play around with it before you go hunting until you get the right sounds. Also important to keep mouthpiece fairly dry (ie spit free). Cow call works well to coax them in. Can take some time to figure elking out but once you do, there's nothing like it. Good luck!!

Logan
08-10-2016, 08:21 AM
Thanks again, I think i'm going to go pick up a Power Bugle and some cow calls after work and start practicing. My whole neighbourhoods gonna think there's a herd of elk just down the street lol.

Bugle M In
08-10-2016, 08:27 AM
Thanks again, I think i'm going to go pick up a Power Bugle and some cow calls after work and start practicing. My whole neighbourhoods gonna think there's a herd of elk just down the street lol.

The best way to get a lot of practice in with mouth reeds (when the time comes for you) is to practice it while driving to work
or driving anywhere....alone.
Spent a lot of hours here in the LM in traffic, but it gave me the chance to practice a lot, and with out annoying anyone else....lol.

Jrax
08-10-2016, 10:26 AM
^^ yep that's what I did. always good to have a few reeds, they are cheap even if you are going with power bugle and other market calls. buy reed, keep practicing. I use my reed as pred call now as well.

MichelD
08-10-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm new at attempting to call too. I've been practicing with mouth reeds while on my 45-minute morning bike ride. Sure makes people turn their heads.

Mostly I sound like someone's alternator belt slipping or brakes squealing and all they see is a guy on a bike.

Bugle M In
08-10-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm new at attempting to call too. I've been practicing with mouth reeds while on my 45-minute morning bike ride. Sure makes people turn their heads.

Mostly I sound like someone's alternator belt slipping or brakes squealing and all they see is a guy on a bike.

Try sitting beside your hunting partner, who, at the last minute, decides he is going to start bugling using mouth reeds, and left it to the last minute, so for the next 9-10 hours on the drive up, that is all you hear.
I was ready to put him on the list of "General Open season"!

Vader
08-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Drive yourself nuts going to and from work with the diaphram call.. Ignore the wierd looks..

blindcast
08-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Get yourself a Primos Hoochie Mama and learn to use it skillfully and don't overcall. It'll put more elk in your sights than any bugle ever will.

findlyflats
08-11-2016, 05:01 PM
any one use this one.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/33110/primos-bull-horn-elk-bugle

Bugle M In
08-11-2016, 07:05 PM
any one use this one.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/33110/primos-bull-horn-elk-bugle

nope, but it reminds me of my original wayne carlton bugle from 1980's, same sort of rubber ring and mouth piece.
Worked well, but you cant get as diverse with sounds as say using mouth reeds.

findlyflats
08-11-2016, 07:42 PM
I use a old style bugle that used the same reads as a mouth read, but you cant buy replacement reeds any more so I just tape the mouth reads on it and get a good sound with good chuckling and grunts.
i have a new style http://www.cabelas.ca/product/33110/...horn-elk-bugle (http://www.cabelas.ca/product/33110/primos-bull-horn-elk-bugle) coming that i want to try.
i also have the bugling bull replacement reeds that may fit my old call.

.308SLAYER
08-12-2016, 07:40 AM
The first time I ever heard a bull bugle I was sitting at a coyote stand he answered to a randy Anderson hot dog I couldn't believe it. I was way back on the reed...if it was me I would practice sounding like a smaller bull instead of trying to sound like the herd bull like others have said cow calls are your friend. I was not recommending the randy Anderson call just goes to show that you don't have to be perfect sometimes it pays to just sound abit different

findlyflats
08-12-2016, 08:37 AM
I recommend the bugling bull call the same bugle reed system as the one i use. cant seem to get the video i have loaded.

milarm_cody
08-12-2016, 09:48 AM
In my experience, Phelps Game Calls are the best out there.

Bugle M In
08-12-2016, 09:50 AM
I would recommend the bugling bull call , this call is my old call with a mouth reed in it. it is really easy to use and gets the bulls riled.

http://s199.photobucket.com/user/atochaspictures/media/elkbugle.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

yup, that's the one I picked up.
Even though I use mouth reeds, and consider myself pretty darn good at it, I sometimes am told I sound
to big....(would have been a compliment if it was coming from my wife??!!)
Anyways, I picked up a bugling bull, just to have some "variety" in my sounds.
It is newer on the market than say primos, power bugle, wayne carlton etc, but it is a
quality bugle, and is, in my opinion, the closest you get using a bugle without having a reed in your mouth.
Chuckling is also somewhat possible with it, something that I found was a little more difficult with the other brand bugles.
The one thing where mouth reeds have an advantage is...
You can be "throaty" and also have to do "bawling" sounds using your lips, which is a whole other dimension to bugling.
here is a great video with steve chapel, and there are a few others from him if you look for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9Rr8uM5Q4

findlyflats
08-12-2016, 05:37 PM
I am totally sold , i called my cousin and had her tack back the terminator and get me the bugling bull. wahoo

findlyflats
09-04-2016, 08:03 PM
proof is in the bugle,
Bugling bull call works like a hot dam, got big earl riled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0tztMjifmQ&feature=youtu.be

Bugle M In
09-04-2016, 09:12 PM
proof is in the bugle,

Good job....nice lookin bull....hope u connect

Husky7mm
09-04-2016, 09:29 PM
proof is in the bugle,

My goodness, that sounds a long way from the real thing, i am shocked he's responding. I mean that in the nicest way possible. In heavy hunted country that would send them running. My wife had a draw for elk once and the bull came in on a string and i am not a great caller. In a general area with with high pressure those sounds wont work. Not trying to be a dick, just the way it is. A little more practise will go a long way.

findlyflats
09-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Sorry husky7 , is it to aggressive.
I seem to have gotten lots of reaction from the elk, especially the big guy down the road who would not come out of the trees. ill keep Practicing.
FF

Bugle M In
09-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Sorry husky7 , is it to aggressive.
I seem to have gotten lots of reaction from the elk, especially the big guy down the road who would not come out of the trees. ill keep Practicing.
FF
he is not coming because he is with the cows.
you will have to get in close to him.
getting him to respond back to you is a good way of locating them.
but once you know where they are, you have to sneak in.
generally once you bugle, and he has cows, he will take off with them.
hard to say if it is the bull that actually pushes them away, or if it is the lead cow.??
We as humans, don't know what they are communicating with their sounds.
all I can tell you, is exactly what your video showed....him leaving with cows.
now, on the other hand, if there are a few satellite bulls, they "will" come in at times.
Cow calls at that point.
Go get him!!

Husky7mm
09-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Bugling bull makes some of the best elk calls there is. Check out elk101 on utube, watch a few of the hour long how to videos from Cory Jacobson. Watch a few from Rocky jacobson also. Watch a few from Wayne Carlton. Then practise , practise, practise. At home and in the car. Don't educate the elk in tge woods.

Thats a heck of a bull, good luck!

Sorry i forgot the findleyflats was not the OP. Should have quoted it.

findlyflats
09-05-2016, 08:01 PM
thanks bugle-me-in,
I had just gotten the bugle and have got the hang of it no problem, can get good sounds from it, young bull, old pissed off bull and good snorts. the video does not give my bugling skills justice.
I just want to get them used to my bugle , so that when my draw starts on oct 10, they will still answer , then i will sneak in closer , but i will likly not have to. . in my experience the big bulls will still be with the cows, since they have never been hunted they will be standing in the slashes so i can just pick the one i want.
I think the 6 x 8 is going to be the one i will take, but ill be checking out the other ones in the coming week.

findlyflats
09-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Bugling bull makes some of the best elk calls there is. Check out elk101 on utube, watch a few of the hour long how to videos from Cory Jacobson. Watch a few from Rocky jacobson also. Watch a few from Wayne Carlton. Then practise , practise, practise. At home and in the car. Don't educate the elk in tge woods.

Thats a heck of a bull, good luck!

Sorry i forgot the findleyflats was not the OP. Should have quoted it.

Thanks for that, ill check them out, did look at one.

findlyflats
09-07-2016, 06:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRc7ZTK_Uo&feature=youtu.be

300H&H
09-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Watch a few from Wayne Carlton. Then practise , practise, practise. At home and in the car. Don't educate the elk in tge woods.

Sound advise.
I hear some terrible turkey calling in the spring.
Opening morning is not the time to take the call out of the wrapper.

Bugle M In
09-07-2016, 08:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRc7ZTK_Uo&feature=youtu.be

That is one sweet looking bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This big boy is LEH???

findlyflats
09-09-2016, 07:53 PM
That is one sweet looking bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This big boy is LEH???
in my pocket , first and only one.

findlyflats
09-11-2016, 02:26 PM
i think Husky7mm is wrong about my bugling skills.
the bugling bull noise i make seems to bring them in on a string, called in another.
He came running right to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8_dsf8p0T0&feature=youtu.be

todbartell
09-11-2016, 02:37 PM
what you're likely experiencing is unpressured, unhunted elk responding with curiousity to your attempts at calling elk

findlyflats
09-11-2016, 07:57 PM
I get the same response from my old bugle in canal flats where i have been bugling up elk for over 30 years.

Uzi
09-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Mouth Reeds Are The Way To Go Practice Them With A Funnel Watch YouTube Videos It's Not To Hard To Pick Up works Best Hands Down
goodluck!

findlyflats
09-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Bugling bull all the way, but with that said the mouth reads are the best just to hard to learn. not a fan of chocking on it either.
I called in these 2 bulls yesterday, one i call goofy and the other little 6.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qc4fq8C6E8)<span class=" spf-link ux-thumb-wrap contains-addto">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qc4fq8C6E8&amp;feature=youtu.be

Bugle M In
09-17-2016, 12:57 PM
great video Findly!
They are beautiful creatures, and a lot of fun just to watch, regardless of hunting them or not.
Bugling is getting better and better.
Best of luck come October

Bugle M In
09-17-2016, 01:00 PM
just wanted to add....
not that you have to, but if you ever want to sound bigger, try growling thru your throat, while doing the bugle.
can give the call a more raspy sound.

findlyflats
09-17-2016, 02:00 PM
just wanted to add....
not that you have to, but if you ever want to sound bigger, try growling thru your throat, while doing the bugle.
can give the call a more raspy sound.

Thanks, i watched a video on growling and have been doing it. Gonna try get video of big foot tomorrow.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/atochaspictures/DSC01661%202.jpg

Bugle M In
09-17-2016, 02:15 PM
by the way, if you want to get into mouth diaphragms, try the new Carlton ones with the plastic dome on them.
(I've used Primos sonic domes, but don't care for them as much as Carlton's).
The plastic dome helps secure it in your mouth better, and you feel like you might not accidently swallow it.
In time, it gets easier.

FsjElkHunter
09-24-2016, 10:21 PM
As you can see from findlyflats video and post you don't have to be a good elk caller to get a reaction. Just know where they are and know what call to use. I use a good locator bugle. A double latex bull diaphragm, a cow diaphragm and hoochie mama cow and calf calls. I prefer the diaphragms when in close but they are by far hardest to use. Practise lots then practice some more. Record your bugles so you can hear how you sound. Watch Corey Jacobsen videos he is a 9 time world elk calling champ. Good luck.

Bugle M In
10-18-2016, 07:08 PM
So Findlay, did you get Big Earl on the Ground?

zippermouth
10-18-2016, 10:22 PM
I get the same response from my old bugle in canal flats where i have been bugling up elk for over 30 years.
Elk don't always sound like the pitch perfect 3 tone bugle. That said I've never heard one sound quite like your calls. But If it's working who's to tell you to change.

elknut
10-20-2016, 01:09 PM
A real good cow call is the Primos ...Cow girl with the lime green bite an blow mouth piece ...Found it is one of the best !...Dennis