PDA

View Full Version : Meat Cooling

Osbain
08-09-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm heading out on my first back pack hunt in 10 days. Can't friggan wait! I finally got a Goat draw and hope to cross it of my bucket list. I've been hunting for years and after one bad experience I am very paranoid about keeping my meat cool. Has anyone ever thrown a couple of cool packs like you would find in a first aid kid into their packs to help get the temperature down on their meat when packing it out? I've searched around a bit and didn't see anything about it. I'm sure i'll be fine but was just wondering if anyone's ever heard of people doing this. I know it's going to be cooler up in the mountains and the forecast doesn't call for hot temps, but it could still get warmer then i'd like...

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!

kitnayakwa77
08-09-2016, 10:05 AM
We just got back from the mtns and it was pretty hot. We used industrial garbage bags to put the meat in and then submerged overnight into cold creeks. Meat came out fine.

08-09-2016, 10:34 AM
The above works ...... I would double bag it though. I have also put the meat on a constructed tree rack just above a flowing stream in the shade. That works too. Use pillow cases or high quality game bags to keep flies out. Your idea of cold packs would only serve temporarily ........ Snow packs or shaded over hangs can work. Cool Air flow helps a ton.
Good luck
CT

Arctic Lake
08-09-2016, 05:24 PM
I would be reluctant to use garbage bags as they may be treated. If you do use plastic try and get food grade . Just a thought
Arctic Lake

RiverRunner
08-10-2016, 01:00 PM
those cool packs only last for about 30min. Not enough effect for the weight involved IMO.
Contractor grade garbage bags shouldn't be treated art they're meant for construction debris and not stinky kitchen waste. Plus they are supper tough so one shouldn't need to double up.

The Hermit
08-10-2016, 01:19 PM
I use queen size sheets cut and folded in half and sewn into bags.

Osbain
08-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I'm going to grab better meat bags and some garbage bags for the trip. Has anyone ever tried the Citric Acid spray's I've heard of? or treating their game bags in Citric acid before hand?

Trip is in 2 days! Can't wait to go!

Nalidixic
08-17-2016, 09:32 PM
So I've always kind of wondered about cooling meat too.

How cool does it need to be to just hang meat in the shade for a few days to let it age or until you can get it to the butcher? 10C? 5C? 2C?