PDA

View Full Version : A little local intel

plumberjustin
08-09-2016, 06:16 AM
Hello hunting friends. After 4 years of putting in for LEH, I finally pulled a bull moose draw for 7-7 east of PG. I've never been to the area, but the odds looked good on paper, thus the choice to put in for this spot. I've got some non hunting family right in PG, so they're really no help for information.

The plan is to go for a visit last week of September, then hunt hard for the first 10 days of October. Hopefully the weather is getting cooler by then, and the rut will be on. Ideally, I'm planning on bringing up my 21' travel trailer, and would like to find an out of the way spot to setup as home base. I'll then quad/hike from there in search of the majestic beasts. 7-7 is a huge area, and I'm sure there's prime moose habitat all over the region. Anyone with a little guidance on a spot I could setup camp would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Justin.

monasheemountainman
08-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Lots of moose and g bears put in the time and you should be successful

boblly1
08-09-2016, 08:26 AM
i hunted that area for a few years was lucky a couple of times but since the the mill at upper fraser was shut down for over 10 years now my son inlaw and i drew big bull draws but when we got up there i couldnt find an area open more than 40 yards of distance clear enough to see to make shot so if you cant find a moose on the road it is going to be tough good luck to you and the road was in real bad shape

boblly1
08-09-2016, 08:33 AM
quads are banned in prime hours in the whole region purden lake camp ground may be your best bet for your trailer and its a great lake for rainbow trout

TreeStandMan
08-09-2016, 09:05 AM
i couldnt find an area open more than 40 yards of distance clear enough to see to make shot so if you cant find a moose on the road it is going to be tough good luck to you and the road was in real bad shape
If it's that dense it might be worth changing tactics, perhaps try setting up a tree stand and calling. During the rut cow calling is a proven method to have them come to you.

moosinaround
08-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Park and call, along water bodies and marshes, might get a lucky bull on road, but I'll bet you will have better luck in the sticks! My cameras are showing good moose sign, but very good bear sign!! Take a black bear or two home with ya! Try south of Bowron River, north of the willow River, and along the Bowron River close to north purden fsr. Moosin

kodeman
08-09-2016, 03:49 PM
We camped at grizzly lake, it was nice. Lots of Black bears and very busy with locals on weekends. Did see a couple of bulls though.

plumberjustin
08-10-2016, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. Looking forward to exploring some new territory.

floden
08-11-2016, 07:11 AM
I've Been up in that area a lot over the years. It gets really busy on the roads but no one ever gets out of the truck! So yes get out your maps and find some likely spots to sit and call. The wind is just unpredictable there too, so think of sites so you have a plan B and C. It may take days of patient calling but a horny bull is a horny bull- he'll come in. Lots and lots of black bears....