PDA

View Full Version : Tripod for Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80 Spotting Scope

xtrail
08-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Going to be purchasing a Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80 Angled Spotting Scope and am looking for a good tripod.
Any recommendations? I've done some searching and have come up with manfrotto and slik.
Are the vortex tripods any good?

r106
08-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Tagged for interest. I bought a cheap one and it sucks. Need something better

SR80
08-09-2016, 06:36 AM
I am super impressed with my promaster xc325c , its a long when fully closed up, but I dont mind it. Its super sturdy. They make a 5 section tripod as well, xc525c. I put a vangaurd ph-111v pan head on it as well. less then 3 lbs. I wouldnt cheap out on a tripod if your going to put a big spotter on it.

Wentrot
08-09-2016, 06:38 AM
Curious about this as well, have the same spotter and would like to get a lighter tripod for it.

Huss
08-09-2016, 07:09 AM
I just picked up a vanguard tripod veo 204ab. Seems pretty solid and folds up small for less then 60 bucks. My hunting partner had a vortex tripod on the mountain last year and it fell apart may have been built on a Friday but I'm not risking it.

tikkahunter
08-09-2016, 08:34 AM
I have the same spotter and have a vortex summit tripod. I wanted a tripod that would pack up small, and not add much weight to my pack, it's already hard enough going up mountains. Very light and quick easy set up. For what I needed, it's perfect.

Cody1771
08-09-2016, 09:10 AM
I have a light weight camera tripod i use, designed for travel. it's very quiet and i'm quite happy with it. Camofire has some pretty nice carbon fiber ones on for about $150 US pretty often. They have the aluminum one up right now for $99

SaintSix
08-11-2016, 09:21 PM
I believe mines a vanguard, but ill have to check. What I would do is bring your spotter to a camera store and see what you like for height/weight and ease of use. most places are very friendly. they will just think your a bird watcher :)

Bear Brawler
08-12-2016, 06:44 AM
I have the Vortex 16-48x65mm Razor HD Spotting scope and a Vortex Summit SS Tri-Pod, it-s too weak to hold the scope. I have to aim low, tighten it up and then it settles. Pain in the ass to be honest. I too am looking to upgrade.

warnniklz
08-12-2016, 07:08 AM
I have the ... Vortex Summit SS Tri-Pod, it-s too weak to hold the scope. I have to aim low, tighten it up and then it settles. Pain in the ass to be honest. I too am looking to upgrade.

In short I agree with this answer. Though it is very light and packs down to nothing. I bought an SS tripod, even though I had used one before and wasn't overly happy with it

SR80
08-13-2016, 07:43 AM
In short I agree with this answer. Though it is very light and packs down to nothing. I bought an SS tripod, even though I had used one before and wasn't overly happy with it

You can always upgrade the head on it, most tripods come with cheapy heads that suck.

ryanb
08-13-2016, 08:26 AM
I put my big 88mm objective KOWA on a vortex high country tripod. It does the job. Wouldn't ever want to try with it fully extended though. I have shopped around for a few years for something more lightweight and stable, but it's hard to find a sub-2pound tripod that will hold a big 88mm spotter. The vortex high country is definitely good value.