PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Pack

AlexPdHJ
08-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Hello HBCers

My pack is on its last legs and I think this is the last season I'll get out of it.

I am looking for recommendations on a new pack.

When I hunt I mostly drive or ATV to an area and then either hike into a place and sit, or hike slowly an quietly until I find something. I am not over-nighting, so its really only a day pack. Ideally I am looking for a day pack that doubles as a harness for dragging out or packing out game.

Requirements:
-Must be study enough to be able to tie a deer to it so I can drag a deer out using it as a shoulder harness
-Must be big enough able to carry my parka, survival gear, gloves, snacks, etc. for a day of hunting. Basically somewhere to keep my layers when I am hiking plus gear.
-Would be nice if it was expandable or had enough webbing tie on spots so I could use it to pack out larger game if I had to, over lots of trips.
-Doesn't have to be camo.
-Rainproof

Thanks for the suggestions!

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
08-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Acteryx Bora 40 . I just found this pack , and its the best pack i have ever used for a day pack .if you can find it one . BUY !.

MikeB
08-11-2016, 04:47 AM
Mystery Ranch Metcalf. You won't be sorry

BCHoyt
08-11-2016, 04:57 AM
Stone Glacier

Wrayzer
08-11-2016, 05:58 AM
I just picked up a Sitka Alpine Ruck Pack. So far it seems great for an extended day pack, should fit boned out meat and possibly a quarter. Extremely light and comfortable.

BgBlkDg
08-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Any of the medium sized packs from reputable makers in a dull, earthen colour will do just fine. You DO NOT NEED to buy one of the currently "kewl" and very costly special hunting packs from one of the "in" makers, as the hype surrounding most of these is merely a response to shrewd marketing.

If, you simply WANT an MR, SG, Seekoutside, Kuiu or one of the other "name" packs and can afford it, great, go for it, but, such expense is NOT necessary. Make sure any pack you do buy FITS correctly and is comfortable under a 40 lb. load and you will be fine.

RiverRunner
08-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Wholesale Sports latest spam email states all camo packs are %30 off. There's probably a Badlands day pack there that will meet your needs.

todbartell
08-11-2016, 10:48 AM
I'd suggest the Mystery Ranch Pintler. With the load shelf you can pack out a deer or moose/elk quarters with ease. Not waterPROOF, but you can buy a rainfly cover

donny.brooke
08-11-2016, 01:31 PM
I'd suggest the Mystery Ranch Pintler. With the load shelf you can pack out a deer or moose/elk quarters with ease. Not waterPROOF, but you can buy a rainfly cover

What he said. Pintler is a sweet pack!

HarryToolips
08-11-2016, 10:05 PM
On the couple of excursions thus far, I'm happy with my Alps Commander+pack, meets all of your above requirements..