PDA

View Full Version : Moose Wallows

Harvest the Land
08-08-2016, 02:51 PM
While out checking trail cams this weekend I came across 2 brand new giant wallow pits probably 15 yards behind the one camera - they were about the same size and right beside each other. They didn't smell like urine at all. I was there 3 weeks ago and these wallow pits weren't there then. I've been getting photos of a nice looking spike fork on this trail cam in this spot using the trails that I've go the camera facing towards for the past week and a bit. When I went to check the wallows more closely yesterday there was a pile of crap right beside them that couldn't have been more than a day old as there was still flies on it and there was still flem inside the poop pile. I also got that moose on camera running from the area yesterday morning at 5:30am - about 7 hours before I was there.

I'm new to moose hunting and have read that these wallow pits are normally associated with the rut, when they piss in them and lay in them to attract the cows. Is this the case? Do moose usually only dig these wallows in advance of the rut or pre-rut? and if so, how early have you seen these wallow pits being dug prior to the rut (like isn't the rut more than a month away)? And, what are the odds that this guy will still want to call this place home when the rut is over come November or do bulls generally move on from these spots after the rut?

Interested in hearing what you guys think - thanks!

(sorry no pics, left camera in the truck, but will take a photo next time I'm in that spot)

Caribou_lou
08-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Wouldn't be a rut pit this time of year. Possibly a mineral lick if anything. One way to find out. Set a cam up on them.

Dannybuoy
08-08-2016, 03:54 PM
I am pretty sure moose and elk wallow in the mud to provide cover against flies ... could be this

ElliotMoose
08-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Yup, helps with the flies. That and the mud cools them down

two-feet
08-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Lick is my guess

srupp
08-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Hmm defiantly not rut wallow. Eliminate that from the list...

Agree on putting the game camera on the muck pit..watch the behavior..you know where..you have the cameras..da da...

Cheers
Srupp

Harvest the Land
08-09-2016, 12:58 PM
I think you're right - probably not a wallow. There are 2 spots right beside each other, almost perfect squares in shape, where the moss and whatever ground cover has been removed to completely expose the soil. These are not situated in wet areas either, they aren't in puddles - completely dry. Maybe the soil is cool for him to lie in. Anyway I might have to change the angle of my trail cam and watch what the heck he's up too, or purchase another trail cam (I've already bought 7 this year) just for his area because I'm more focused on the deer and bear using the trails nearby. If I had an LEH moose tag i'd be more into scouting him more but sadly can only hunt first 2 weeks of November for moose in this spot and only on weekends cause of work - so pretty low odds of getting him.

Thanks for the replies!