PDA

View Full Version : Do Sleeping Bag liners work?

Duidery
08-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Hello

I'm thinking of getting a sleeping bag liner to help keep the sleeping bag cleaner and to help with the cold. Do the liners actually add warmth? I'd like to hear some real experiences with them before making the purchase.

Thanks

Ron.C
08-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Yes they will add a measure of warmth to any bag.
The problem I had with one is that it wanted to twist inside the main bag and resulted in being incredibly uncomfortable.

Amphibious
08-08-2016, 12:01 PM
I've used them a few times, and always found them to tie you up at night if you toss and turn. very uncomfortable.

Hunt'n Guide
08-08-2016, 02:01 PM
I use one as a fitted sheet on my sleeping mat when it is warm out. I just use the sleeping bag like a comforter and the bag liner on the mat. Keeps things cleaner and is more comfortable.

srupp
08-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Hmm used them quite a bit..works for me..
Srupp

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
08-08-2016, 05:36 PM
I have always wondered that myself..

nature girl
08-08-2016, 07:12 PM
I used a fleece liner and it is so nice and soft and warm yes I liked it. Just a little more pain in the ass to get in and out but worth it when it is cold out.

tomahawk
08-08-2016, 07:18 PM
my hunting partner and I have used them for years, him longer then me. They do keep the bag cleaner and add some warmth, if your going to get one don't go cheap or small. everyonce in a while mine will twist in the bag but not that often. I have a large wide bag and bought a large wide liner and it works well.

REMINGTON JIM
08-08-2016, 07:45 PM
I used a fleece liner and it is so nice and soft and warm yes I liked it. Just a little more pain in the ass to get in and out but worth it when it is cold out.

YUP ! works Good and the Fleece is never really COLD ! :smile: RJ

mpotzold
08-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Had a Pioneer 5 star down sleeping bag with a wool liner for years. One year while staying in a tent in the Yukon the the temperatures plummeted to minus 65ºF more or less for about a week or so. No problem.
Remember that the wool is warm even when wet.

REMINGTON JIM
08-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Had a Pioneer 5 star down sleeping bag with a wool liner for years. One year while staying in a tent in the Yukon the the temperatures plummeted to minus 65ºF more or less for about a week or so. No problem.

I still have a 5 STAR bag - never gets COLD enough to use it ! :smile: RJ

Seymourarm
08-08-2016, 10:28 PM
I went to surplus herbs in kamloops, bought 2 army wool blankets. Got them sewed together to make an outer bag for my sleeping bag, it is awsome in really cold weather and protects the sleeping bag.

GoatGuy
08-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Have a silk liner, doesn't add warmth but sure makes the sleeping bag a lot more comfortable when tossing and turning. Weighs a couple ounces.

BgBlkDg
08-09-2016, 09:17 AM
I have tried them, still use my original Integral Designs, combo of Andromeda Overbag and North Twin, as my basic hunting bag, but, do not like the thin types, silk, cotton or synthetic. They twist up and bunch for me and are not comfortable.

I always wear a full suit of base layers in bags, superlight silk in warmer weather and merino in cold. This works well for me and keeps a costly bag clean.

I prefer a single bag rated to the lower temps. I will use it in to any liner and also prefer very highend down and microfiber bags for most uses. I also use WPB bivvies and find this combo works well even in real cold.

mpotzold
08-09-2016, 09:40 AM

Forgot to mention that when it was really cold used to wear long johns inside the sleeping bag? STANFIELD'S ALL WOOL 42 BLUE LABEL.(still have a pair from the old days) Not allergic to wool.

Singleshotneeded
08-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Hello

I'm thinking of getting a sleeping bag liner to help keep the sleeping bag cleaner and to help with the cold. Do the liners actually add warmth? I'd like to hear some real experiences with them before making the purchase.

Thanks

It's even better if you don't pee in your sleeping bag...;-)

digger dogger
08-09-2016, 12:49 PM
Ya, they give a bit of warmth, and stop you from sticking to your bag, if you are a hot sleeper.
On bigblkdogs advice, back when he was devilbear,(5-6yrs ago)i bought an integral designs bag liner.
Awesome investment, I will not use my down bag, without it.

One Shot
08-09-2016, 09:41 PM
They do work. I have them in three different weights depending on the time of year. I also have an extra one that I can throw over the top of the bag and it adds another few degrees warmth.

BgBlkDg
08-10-2016, 09:01 AM
The type I recommended to DD is a waterproof liner and these are mainly intended for use in very cold conditions inside down bags with WPB shells. My custom ID winter bag is of this sort, with a few design mods I convinced Evan Jones, to incorporate in 2003 when I had it built and I do use one for that bag.........works well, but, I still prefer silk LJs in 90% of my uses.

If, you research the whole topic of bags, warmth and so forth, you will find that a mummy bag that FITS you, with a Microfiber shell encapsulating really FINE down, is the best in warmth for unit of total weight. The best bags, WM, Valandre, FF and perhaps PHD from the UK cost a LOT, but, for those who need the warmest, lightest possible, nothing else does as well.

The insulated liners are, IME and IMO, less costly and heavier ways of reaching the same level of warmth and while various bush workers, military and others can/do benefit from these, nothing yet made will equal a REALLY good down bag in cold weather. I have slept under tarps in every month of the year all over BC since spring, 1964 and when it is -20* and colder, down bags rated to appropriate temps. function better than any others.

REMINGTON JIM
08-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Depends would be good for Dewey :shock: so no Wet bag ! LMFFAO RJ

Sportster
08-12-2016, 10:00 PM
I always use a thick flannel bed sheet in mine, and so do the other guys. It definitely makes a difference. ups the R Rating of your bag for sure. and makes the bag more comfortable.

wideopenthrottle
08-12-2016, 10:45 PM
i twist and turn way too much for liners....often results in my bag zipper going down too ..i go with sleeping clothes in cold weather...from thin long johns to thick sweats and a thin turtle neck to tshirt and thick turtleneck and a sleeping touque....standing camp fair only though ...not really great for long mountain treks