PDA

View Full Version : Shock and Waterproof Point and Shoot Camera Recommendations

Duidery
08-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Hey all

My Sony DSC TX30 camera has finally crapped out. It was a great camera and served me very well for years. It was a great durable camera that took clear pictures.

I'm looking for a replacement and it seems as if Sony doesn't have a small shock proof point and shoot model this year. What do people recommend for a durable fishing, hunting and hiking camera that takes nice pictures?

russm
08-04-2016, 03:01 PM
I have the fuji drop/water/freeze/dust proof one, its been abused in cuba, mexico, and all over africa and is still taking good pictures, i think they make 2, i have the lower end one.

BRvalley
08-04-2016, 03:12 PM
been using a Panasonic lumix for 3 years now, I find it to have good battery life, takes great pics...nice little camera but if HD videos are part of your consideration I don't like it for that, or at least I just haven't learned it well enough maybe, I have issues playing back the audio....but for a durable P&S it's great, no complaints there

BimmerBob
08-04-2016, 03:15 PM
I got a Nikon Coolpix AW110 a few years ago and like it a lot, seems to work quite well and battery life is excellent. Not sure if it is still available or if they have a later model of the unit out.

jtred
08-04-2016, 06:33 PM
My wife gave me a great little camera, it's a FUJIFILM XP. 6m waterproof, 1.5m shockproof. It's been on many backpack hunting trips and countless day trips(hunting, hiking, mountain biking, and travelling. I've had it four years now and it's like brand new still.

Singleshotneeded
08-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Hey all

My Sony DSC TX30 camera has finally crapped out. It was a great camera and served me very well for years. It was a great durable camera that took clear pictures.

I'm looking for a replacement and it seems as if Sony doesn't have a small shock proof point and shoot model this year. What do people recommend for a durable fishing, hunting and hiking camera that takes nice pictures?

Panasonic Lumix, great pics and can handle anything.

decker9
08-04-2016, 07:31 PM
I'm not a camera guy, but iv been using a olympus tough the last few years. A pretty basic camera, but it's been threw hell and back and is still kickin.

ajr5406
08-04-2016, 09:30 PM
I have the fuji drop/water/freeze/dust proof one, its been abused in cuba, mexico, and all over africa and is still taking good pictures, i think they make 2, i have the lower end one.

I have the same one, the Fuji XP. It's 10m water proof and 1.5m Shock proof.

The reason I bought it is because I heard an interview with a fly fishing guide who had one and dropped it into the river and thought he lost it. He went back almost a year later and found it underwater, turned it on and took photos again!

Great camera for the price

Duidery
08-04-2016, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. One concern about the Olympus cameras though; my wife had a Tough model a few years ago and it took blurry pics unless you were perfectly still. Especially compared to the Sony TX30 model I was using on the same trips. Just curious if the new Olympus models are the same?

Cody1771
08-05-2016, 07:26 AM
i have good experience with the Olympis Tough as well. we use it on the ship to record failures, it's been dropped on hard steel so many times i don't even bother to check it anymore. it's also survived periods of time submerged in oil, and bilge water. that being said the O-rings really hate any type of oil. but the kits are cheap from olympis to replace them. the manuf. says you should replace the O-rings every year to keep them waterproof.

Zedbra
08-08-2016, 07:34 AM
I like this thread - I have a Sony TX30 as well that I have been abusing for years in and out of the water and I am not looking forward to figuring out what to replace it with when it dies; I love the pics, size, waterproof, and video of that Sony.

ljalberta
08-08-2016, 08:42 AM
I also would recommend the Lumix. I abused one around the world for a solid 4 years, including a 6 month backpacking stint that saw it dropped, left in saltwater, and taken past it's depth limit. It held up great and took awesome pictures. The only problem I ever had was it fogged up a single morning in 4 years of use. And then of course I left it in a cab in Mexico...

FortBoy
08-08-2016, 09:18 AM
put my down for olympus tough as well. had it for a few years now, great battery, pretty good pics, and takes a beating.

Zedbra
08-08-2016, 01:36 PM
I saw a pink TX30 on Amazon - no bad ideas. ;)