PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 7-33 elk

tacoma06
08-04-2016, 07:26 AM
I've been lucky enough to receive some farm land permission in Dawson creek for an elk hunt. I'm planning on heading up for sept 1 and staying for 7-10 days. I'm wondering if I should be focusing all my attention on the fields or if I should be heading into the bush. This is my first elk hunt and my first time staying in Dawson creek any longer than grabbing a coffee and gas. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

barry1974w
08-04-2016, 08:22 AM
I'm far from an expert, but I'd say you may want to concentrate on the field edges at first and last light, you may not want to go crashing around in the bush except as a last resort. Take a range finder if you've got on available cause animals out in the open can be very deceiving. And practice your shooting to figure out your maximum range when shooting at game( I had a draw last winter, the elk embarrassed me for several days).

Have fun

buckdynasty
08-04-2016, 08:39 AM
The first thing I would do is look for sign. Look for game trails leading to the fields. I've found elk to be fairly consistent with bedding and feeding areas and places in between, and as long as they aren't chased around too much.

If there's an oat crop in your area pay special attention to those areas.

Pay attention to the wind. If an elk smells you, game over.

I've hunted elk in the North Peace and it can be tricky bugling the herd bull away from his cows. Often I've found cow calling much more effective in trying to get the biggest bull to come in. Try the hoochie mama.

I would be focusing on the fields right at first and last light. If the rut is in full swing then hunting in the timber can be effective, but still pretty tricky.

Most of all just have fun. You'll make mistakes but at the same time learn as you go. Its tough to beat elk hunting in September!

tacoma06
08-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Damn.... I just saved enough for a spotter and now I need to get a range finder too:p

Ferenc
08-04-2016, 09:52 AM
As long as no one else is hunting the fields you have permission for watch them at last light.... Hopefully the fields are set back from any main roads... Use the mornings ( before light ) and listen for any elk sounding off... If no one else has disturbed the elk you'll have the best of both ways to hunt it... Be a little more adventurous in the early mornings.... Sit and watch the fields as dusk approaches .. The cows will slowly filter out.. And the bull just like a old whitetail should step out.... I too am gettin excited ... Good luck. : )

tacoma06
08-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Will the elk be vocal at the beginning of sept?

Ferenc
08-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Loaded question ... two things I find that keep elk quiet ... Hot weather and wolves...best senario is when they are bugling during the middle of the night ... Get set up but don't reply too early... They may show before legal light. Cold frosty mornings are the best. : )

Sitkaspruce
08-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Have heard them in August up here.

As other have said, look for sign. Spend at least a day just getting to know the area; look for sign of where they are entering and leaving any fields, especially oat/barley or peas, if you find some sign, set up early the next morning and just watch and listen. Watch where they go when they leave and try to set up 100m or so away in the afternoon, using the wind to your advantage. If they are still in their summer routine, they will probably show back up again that night. As long as you don't spook them, keep up the ambushing, morning and evening.

I have found the elk that have a choice of feed will move around some, so find a few different places they are active in and play the guessing game. The bulls will be calling some, but not real aggressive yet, so don't over call, use your ears more.

Getting to be that time of year!!!

Good luck!!

Cheers

SS

takla1
08-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Have a buddy who has a games room loaded with 6 point bull mounts from that general area.He's shot them all from a tree stand on a game trail about 100 yrd off a field.He uses scent to mask his approach to the stand and uses a cow chirp.he's up the tree at first light every morning and puts his time in..
good luck

takla

barry1974w
08-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Damn.... I just saved enough for a spotter and now I need to get a range finder too:p

My hunt this winter would have been over way sooner if I'd had a range finder...... I've got one now ��

todbartell
08-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Elk will be vocal, to some degree. I'd focus on staking out the feeding areas at first light, then hunt the timber mid day to evening.

hunter1947
08-05-2016, 04:35 AM
Open fields first daylight to hunt then it's into the woods to hunt after the elk are in the timber its very important to find out there travel route meaning when they come out late evening and head back into the timber or bush early morning when you have this figured out then set up near there runway one hour before you saw them come out in the evening the same for the morning ,,good luck....

tacoma06
08-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all the help! Just grabbed a rangefinder off eBay yesterday and I've been practicing my cow call. Man it's getting close!

Xbow
09-05-2017, 01:44 PM
How did this hunt pan out?