PDA

View Full Version : Tree stand?

dprocter
08-03-2016, 12:33 AM
Hey, what's everyone using for tree stands? I'm looking into getting a hang on stand, what's the best bang for my buck? Thanks in advance!

bc_buckshot
08-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Fixed or climbing tree stand?..... I use big game treestand and used gorilla treestand but love the big game. Comfy, nice solid wide platform. But out of all my treestand I love my DIY wood treestand. More natural and blends really well into tree

bassplayer
08-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Fixed or climbing tree stand?..... I use big game treestand and used gorilla treestand but love the big game. Comfy, nice solid wide platform. But out of all my treestand I love my DIY wood treestand. More natural and blends really well into tree
Yeah but your stands keep spooking the game from being under the strain of supporting your weight lollllllllllllllllllllllll

bc_buckshot
08-03-2016, 10:00 AM
I rather have a soild body then a 16 year old body at 50 years old like you. You have T. rex arms when you climb your stand

greybark
08-03-2016, 12:34 PM
dprocter , used them all and settled on a Summit climber . For additional comfort get the larger size like "Golith" or now I think there is still a larger choice . Very little extra weight and the 0ne or two inches extra makes quite a difference .
That said , some EK ers like the hang ons .
Try both
Cheers

J_T
08-03-2016, 02:56 PM
dprocter , used them all and settled on a Summit climber . For additional comfort get the larger size like "Golith" or now I think there is still a larger choice . Very little extra weight and the 0ne or two inches extra makes quite a difference .
Try both
Cheers
Totally. I'm down with hang on stands. A must have. Self climbers can be used effectively in some areas, but they are used in the wrong tree. The new style of stand that use just a strap to hold it in place require three arms to hang them. So unless you have three arms, I'd go with something that has a tree anchor to put it in the tree. Then secure with ratchet straps.

Lastly, I must have lightweight. Gotta be lightweight.

The Hermit
08-03-2016, 08:32 PM
I'd like to have another couple hang on aluminum stands... recommendations?

gab
08-04-2016, 12:21 PM
I use a Summit Goliath climbing type stand. I really like it.

greybark
08-04-2016, 05:22 PM
Hey J_T , one would think a slight modification on a climber with your ( the tree anchor) system would provide some of the advantages of both styles . Note I said "some" LOL.
Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
08-05-2016, 01:50 AM
I like Gorilla stands ... But love the Lone wolf stands

give them a look

J-F
08-05-2016, 02:02 AM
Try both
Cheers

Good info, thanks.

One question: how big and tall are you?

greybark
08-05-2016, 08:17 AM
J-F , good morning . Started out at 6-3 and 200lb and now at 6 -1 and 200 lb .
The reason for the extra width suggestion is that it allows you to sit with your arms comfortably inside the stand rails and hands in your warm pockets .
The slightly larger foot platform allows a bit more feet and target alignment .
Good for the bulked up wintering up clothing.
Cheers

J_T
08-05-2016, 10:49 AM
J-F , good morning . Started out at 6-3 and 200lb and now at 6 -1 and 200 lb .
The reason for the extra width suggestion is that it allows you to sit with your arms comfortably inside the stand rails and hands in your warm pockets .
The slightly larger foot platform allows a bit more feet and target alignment .
Good for the bulked up wintering up clothing.
Cheers
Very important point here. If you are in a stand and 'think' you hear animals coming in, the first thing you move to get ready is your feet. If they aren't already in place. I use a fleece pillow to put my feet on my stand. This dampens any creaking or iced boots noise on steel. In early season it dampens the vibram sole against steel.

scotty30-06
05-26-2017, 01:00 AM
I have a hang on stand now....but next one I buy will be a climber that way I can have one set up in a honey hole that stays for the whole season....then the climber for side excursions.

scotty30-06
05-26-2017, 01:01 AM
The ease of getting up the tree and versatility seems much better then the hang on's just my opinion