PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a new backpack deer hunter

johnnycanuck
08-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Hey everyone

I've been a member for awhile now and up until now have been reading a lot, but this is my first post.

My brother and I decided last year that we wanted to try hunting and we both fell in love with it. My only complaint was that we were spending a little too much time in the truck (the more experienced hunters we were learning from are mainly roadhunters and while I've got nothing against it I'd much rather put boots to the ground.)

I used to hike and back country camp quite a bit when I was younger and thought this year I'd have a go at a backpack deer hunt. My brother and I plan on doing a scouting trip in 2 weeks and are looking for an area where we can hike in for 2-3 hours and be reasonably secluded from the noise of quads and trucks. So far we've been looking at Barkley Valley near D'Arcy, Mt. Davis just off the Coq or Illal meadows.

Are we headed in the right direction thinking about these areas considering our limited experience? Do they hold a reasonable amount of game? If we're way off track can anyone recommend a different area that's good to hike into and get little away from general hunting traffic? (no honey holes needed obviously)

We're located in the Lower Mainland but are willing to drive a ways out if necessary. Any help/general advice is greatly appreciated!

Brew
08-01-2016, 08:44 PM
I think your on the right track. Make sure you get to some good glassing spots before sunrise and sunset and glass every square inch of the mountain. the smallest shrubs can have deer bedded in it. don't be afraid to glass up into the rocks. I have spotted mule deer in spots you would think goats live.
the Coq gets lots of traffic in the early season. I would head up to D'Arcy and try to find some areas that get less hikers during the summer.
Good luck on your quest. I started out just like you with a lot of trial and error and over the years have learned lots and taken a few nice deer to show for my effort. Go have fun and enjoy your scouting trip. Take some bear spray or a shotgun. Theres lots of bears in the alpine this time of year.

brian
08-01-2016, 09:18 PM
I can't give you much help in the specific area but the first thing I would do when looking for potential hunting grounds is go to club treads forums (http://forums.clubtread.com) and search the trip reports for any place that interests you. You'll know to stay away if there are a ton of trip reports and photos being posted (unless you like hunting in areas that are popular with hikers or enough ground to get away from the crowds). The bonus of checking with club tread is you will often get access routes, GPS coordinates, and photos of areas less frequented. Nail it down to a specific area then do a search here and see if it gets talked about a lot. Lots of chatter or none are both a good sign! Then scout using google earth and topo maps. Finally put boots on the ground! This is the best way to really learn an area. Some areas will receive a lot more use by deer in any given terrain. Finding these pockets and knowing how to hunt them is one of the keys to being successful.

scotty30-06
08-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Pack wise on the way up....your would be surprised how heavy a pound can be after carrying it for a bunch of km's....and when/if you do get one....you have room to pack it out

johnnycanuck
08-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the advice gentlemen! Glad to know it sounds like we're heading in the right direction.

MichelD
08-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Those three places have fascinated me too, but they are very popular with the hiking crowd being close to Metro Vancouver.

johnnycanuck
08-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Are places being popular with the hiking crowd a problem because the extra traffic pushes game away from the area?

monasheemountainman
08-02-2016, 04:51 PM
probably run into many granola eaters if you stick to main hiking trails. Id head further east if I were you

mastercaster
08-02-2016, 05:08 PM
A little off the topic in terms of where to go but now that you've decided to get away from the beaten path or roads if I were you I would watch as many youtube videos as possible on the gutless method of dressing a deer. After all, you're already packing a substantial amount of gear into the bush so if you try to get an entire deer out of the bush (minus the guts, of course) that makes for a very heavy pack. Using the gutless method means you'll only have to carry out the meat and whatever bones are in the quarters, as well as the backstraps, the tenderloins, and neck meat. Your back/knees will thank you for it!

Just make sure you retain evidence of sex on one of the hind quarters, as well as identification for the type of deer it is you shot when using the gutless method. I wouldn't even take out the head (extra weight) but if it's 4 point only season (mule deer) you'll need the antlers,,,,, or if you want the antlers regardless of how many tines it has for a keepsake (a first deer memory). in any event, it is the easiest extraction method in terms of overall weight.

Wentrot
08-02-2016, 05:57 PM
A little off the topic in terms of where to go but now that you've decided to get away from the beaten path or roads if I were you I would watch as many youtube videos as possible on the gutless method of dressing a deer. After all, you're already packing a substantial amount of gear into the bush so if you try to get an entire deer out of the bush (minus the guts, of course) that makes for a very heavy pack. Using the gutless method means you'll only have to carry out the meat and whatever bones are in the quarters, as well as the backstraps, the tenderloins, and neck meat. Your back/knees will thank you for it!

Just make sure you retain evidence of sex on one of the hind quarters, as well as identification for the type of deer it is you shot when using the gutless method. I wouldn't even take out the head (extra weight) but if it's 4 point only season (mule deer) you'll need the antlers,,,,, or if you want the antlers regardless of how many tines it has for a keepsake (a first deer memory). in any event, it is the easiest extraction method in terms of overall weight.

Essentially all you are saying is quarter the deer lol

To the OP, If you are a good distance from the pickup learn how to debone a deer in the field.

https://youtu.be/469IL1CspQM

swampthing
08-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Go for it. The alpine is an awesome place to be. I have hunted lillooeet alpine over the years and have found that just getting up in the country and camping where you need to be at first and last light is very beneficial. Even a simple overnighter gives you a good advantage versus hiking in and out daily

johnnycanuck
08-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Thanks master. I had looked into the gutless method before since after hunting last year I had wondered how guys haul a whole animal out of the back country. This is a good reminder to brush up on it and re-watch some videos

johnnycanuck
08-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Go for it. The alpine is an awesome place to be. I have hunted lillooeet alpine over the years and have found that just getting up in the country and camping where you need to be at first and last light is very beneficial. Even a simple overnighter gives you a good advantage versus hiking in and out daily

Yeah we're hoping to camp for a couple nights in the 3rd week of september. Seems like not only a more efficient way of doing things but a much more organic (maybe the wrong word?) way of doing things as well!

08-02-2016, 09:11 PM
You want to go where the hikers are not going. Barkley for years has had too good of access and sees huge groups at times. To close to Whistler, has been promoted as a hiking destination. This has moved goats, mule deer and bear out of the area. Sure you might spot one, but ...... It's too easy for good game hunting. Used to be tougher, years ago. Get up into high alpine where hikers DONT go ....... Don't pick a popular trail for one thing.

Good luck. ...... I'd look Hurly, Bralorne, Goldbridge , Gun Lake, way ....... You need to GET AWAY from the crowds not with them.
CT

MichelD
08-02-2016, 10:25 PM
probably run into many granola eaters if you stick to main hiking trails. Id head further east if I were you

A lot of granola eaters I know have got real interested in hunting the last few years.