PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 magazines how to pin them to 10 rounds

tav611
08-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Hi guys I have 4 of the butler creek 10/22 magazines.I don't want to go out and buy new magazines for the .22. I was wondering if anyone knew how we could modifi this magazine. They are plastic so I am not sure what can be done.Anyone ever done this, pin them so now they are LEGAL. ? Thanks guys

CaribooBC
08-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Not sure you really want to be advertising you have 4 prohibited devices on a public forum....... That being said, if you happen to own such device, I would wait until the dust settles on this issue. There are still questions on whether or not you can pin them yourself or if it would have to be done by a smith. Also if you read up on this, "pinning" is only legal for "metallic" cased mags. BTW: I have seen some BC 10/22 mags with rivets in them, pinning them to 10 rounds, so it can be done without cracking the plastic,

t-rexer
08-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Mags were made and sold well before the 10/22 charger pistol was sold. This will not stick,hold tight

604Stalker
08-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Dont alter them yourself unless you have a lisence to alter prohibited devices.. Hold tight nuff said

caddisguy
08-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Not sure you really want to be advertising you have 4 prohibited devices on a public forum....... That being said, if you happen to own such device, I would wait until the dust settles on this issue. There are still questions on whether or not you can pin them yourself or if it would have to be done by a smith. Also if you read up on this, "pinning" is only legal for "metallic" cased mags. BTW: I have seen some BC 10/22 mags with rivets in them, pinning them to 10 rounds, so it can be done without cracking the plastic,

Hmm last I heard there has not been any sort of official documentation indicating the magazine is illegal, other than a leaked internal RCMP memo which might or might not be legitimate. FWIW, WholeSale sports and many other shops are still selling them. The big shops selling them have lawyers and seem confident the internal RCMP letter was over-reaching and has no legal basis. Cabelas is the only shop I am aware of that has pulled the mags without question. I doubt mentioning ownership of said mags is "risky" or anything, at least at this point when you have shops in possession of hundreds of them and selling. IMHO if the RCMP "could" do anything, they would be going after the big fish, but it seems they have no grounds to do so. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe this all comes down to the following fact:

The Butler Creek Hop-lips / Steel-lips 10/22 magazines are not designed or marketed for the Charger pistol (at least the ones I have seen) period. If they fit, they fit, but that is not what they were designed or marketed for. As long as they don't have "Charger Pistol" on the package, it should be just fine.

Good advice waiting until the dust settles as you mentioned. I wouldn't go messing around trying to pin them at this point.

buck nash
08-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Also if you read up on this, "pinning" is only legal for "metallic" cased mags.,

You sure about that? Cause i know a guy who knows a guy that has 4 plastic mags for his mini-14 that are 30 round mags which have been pinned to 5.

eric
08-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Sell them to me.....

Drillbit
08-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Hmm last I heard there has not been any sort of official documentation indicating the magazine is illegal, other than a leaked internal RCMP memo which might or might not be legitimate. FWIW, WholeSale sports and many other shops are still selling them. The big shops selling them have lawyers and seem confident the internal RCMP letter was over-reaching and has no legal basis. Cabelas is the only shop I am aware of that has pulled the mags without question. I doubt mentioning ownership of said mags is "risky" or anything, at least at this point when you have shops in possession of hundreds of them and selling. IMHO if the RCMP "could" do anything, they would be going after the big fish, but it seems they have no grounds to do so. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe this all comes down to the following fact:

The Butler Creek Hop-lips / Steel-lips 10/22 magazines are not designed or marketed for the Charger pistol (at least the ones I have seen) period. If they fit, they fit, but that is not what they were designed or marketed for. As long as they don't have "Charger Pistol" on the package, it should be just fine.

Good advice waiting until the dust settles as you mentioned. I wouldn't go messing around trying to pin them at this point.

Very accurate post.

geologist
08-03-2016, 10:30 PM
My oldest BC Steel Lip mag is marked with the date of manufacture 9/94.

Up yours RCMP lab.

Drillbit
08-03-2016, 10:44 PM
My oldest BC Steel Lip mag is marked with the date of manufacture 9/94.

Up yours RCMP lab.

That's from when Clinton banned them in the US......13 years prior to the charger.....

stan
08-04-2016, 05:47 AM
Dont alter them yourself unless you have a lisence to alter prohibited devices.. Hold tight nuff said
Where would one obtain a "license to alter prohibited devices"

barry1974w
08-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Back in the day when they were banned in the states, we'd drill em so the follower would stop at ten rounds, put a piece of brake line tubing through the hole then flare it on both ends. Seemed to work alright