PDA

View Full Version : Questions about hunting in parks and "protected areas"

RadHimself
07-31-2016, 09:53 PM
Ive found myself hunting on the edges of a few different parks and protected areas...

nothing is said about them being closed to hunting or anything about no firearms discharges etc etc... In my yes its fair game to hunt these areas.

Ami right or am i wrong? One has roads all the way around it, but its steep and nasty, the other is fairly secluded and hit upwards of 8000'

i know there are c.o's on here im not trying to hide anyhing, i just want clarification before i waste more time scouting in areas i cant hunt...

feel free to p.m me for so i can elaborate... Dont feel the need to point out my areas of interest to every tom dick an hairy... Although with the lack of direct road access i think ill be safe from most of you ��

J_06
07-31-2016, 10:08 PM
I believe(keyword) that it is different from park to park. DONT quote me on that, I just know there are some local parks where I can and some that are only half open and some that are no go.

Kopper
07-31-2016, 11:17 PM
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/regulations/parks_hunt.pdf

Not all parks share the same rules. Page 11 of the new synopsis will direct you FYI, but the direct link is posted above.

jtred
08-01-2016, 06:22 AM
I hunt in a couple of Provincial Parks located not far from where I live both allow hunting, you have to check whether it's allowed in that specific park or protected area where you are. Just type in the name of the park and scroll through to where it lists activities and it will indicate whether or not hunting is allowed.

Brambles
08-01-2016, 08:52 AM
I hunt in a couple of Provincial Parks located not far from where I live both allow hunting, you have to check whether it's allowed in that specific park or protected area where you are. Just type in the name of the park and scroll through to where it lists activities and it will indicate whether or not hunting is allowed.

Thats st not a reliable way either, often the park will not have the hunting icon highlighted but the proper schedual lists them as open to hunting........you have to go to the link Kopper posted above to look at the list that use to always be in the synopsis..

RadHimself
08-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Yea, i appreciate the effort and links... But the parks im concerned with are not listed there either

375shooter
08-01-2016, 10:59 AM
Yea, i appreciate the effort and links... But the parks im concerned with are not listed there either

If the park you are asking about is not on the list, then you can't hunt there.

jtred
08-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Thats st not a reliable way either, often the park will not have the hunting icon highlighted but the proper schedual lists them as open to hunting........you have to go to the link Kopper posted above to look at the list that use to always be in the synopsis..
Thanks for the tip, I checked out the link previously posted by Kopper and the parks I've been hunting are also listed there. I didn't realize that the official government site doesn't always list hunting as an activity when you look up individual parks. All the ones I've looked up have been very clear about what is allowed and what isn't.. The comprehensive list makes it easier.

RadHimself
08-02-2016, 02:56 PM
I think im having an issue finding info because its a "rec area" not a park or a protected zone

brian
08-02-2016, 11:24 PM
First find out exactly who governs the "area"... federal, provincial, or municipal? Then find out what exactly is the areas designation. Some are all closed to hunting and some are not. Some areas overlap municipal boundaries and are governed by both bylaws and park restrictions. You may have to contact who ever governs the area directly to find out if it is open. Or better yet call up the local CO's and find out from them. Asking vague questions here will give you no help unless you can be more specific.

TrickleCharger
08-03-2016, 08:03 AM
That document above is pretty clear: "Only the parks, conservancies, protected areas and recreation areas listed below are open to hunting during the specified periods". Other rec areas are listed as being allowed so it's not that rec areas are not covered by the document. The ones you're looking at just aren't open for hunting. It can't hurt to call around and ask but I would be careful with who is giving the answers. Good luck..

brian
08-03-2016, 10:06 AM
That document above is pretty clear: "Only the parks, conservancies, protected areas and recreation areas listed below are open to hunting during the specified periods". Other rec areas are listed as being allowed so it's not that rec areas are not covered by the document.

That document is provincial and will not cover areas under municipal or federal jurisdiction. Its a good start though. If you don't see the area listed then be very careful and put in some extra due diligence. One good reason for contacting the local CO's is although they are under provincial jurisdiction, they are called upon to enforce rules from all three levels of government.

Bigdoggdon
08-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Different parks have different rules regarding hunting. Some allow hunting but no vehicle access, some no ATV's you need to check the Parks BC website for the rules specific to the park you wish to hunt in as that information is not covered in the hunting regs.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/