PDA

View Full Version : 5-14 October 15th-31st moose leh

elkhunter2
07-31-2016, 08:27 PM
So me and my dad got and leh moose draw for 5-14 for October 15th-31st. This is the first leh for both of us. My question is where is somewhere nice to set up camp? And are there many moose in the area? Also any mule deer buck and whitetail buck are open, how are the deer numbers in the area? Will it be worth grabbing a tag for each of them as well? Thanks in advance for any help anyone might have, cheers and happy hunting!

wideopenthrottle
08-01-2016, 06:37 AM
for the relatively minor cost of a tag i would definately be carrying all that could be hunted...my first time hunting WT deer in EK i was carrying an elk tag and sure enough got the one and only elk i have ever got...fortune often smiles on the prepared...:-)

RDM
08-01-2016, 07:21 AM
Take someone to stay in camp full time.Theft and vandalism is crazy in the area.Moose population has died down alot over the years.they are still there but you will need to cover a lot of ground

markathome
08-01-2016, 07:35 AM
I've hunted LEH in 5-13 a few times in the last five years (three) - bring good tires or tire chains - winter can happen at anytime up there. We didn't have any problems with our camps - but we didn't leave anything of real value in camp. We brought home a bull 2 out of three times. Saw lots of does and bears. Good luck. We hunted the hills coming down into lakes and had plenty of encounters with cows and calfs. We also took one using a canoe. We're not ATV hunters so we hiked until we found fresh sign and then set up on that area for a concentrated amount of time (typically two morning and evening hunts per lake area). If we didn't have eyes on a moose in two days of calling we headed to another area.

tinhorse
08-01-2016, 08:43 AM
I have the same draw oct 1-14. I've hunted the area lots in the past and deer was always a given especially in the any buck season. I've never seen whitetail but that doesn't mean they are around. Moose are better to the north and deer to the south but there are good pockets everywhere in 5-14. Lots of roads and lots of road hunters so walk around. I'll be back on the 11th so pm me then if you remember and I'll let you know where and what I encountered.

srupp
08-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Hmmm yes for good camp..yes for mulies, not so much for whities, a couple of places even relitively safe. STAY away from Raven Lake.PERIOD.
Still have a few days before holidays..send a pm with ph number..I will call..couple sugfestions.
Steven

wideopenthrottle
08-01-2016, 10:18 AM
ever notice how invisible deer can be when you are looking for big black bulking moose!!!

XPEIer
08-02-2016, 06:48 AM
STAY away from Raven Lake.PERIOD. I think that little group of vandals may be on vacation as things have been relatively quiet this year at Raven, Palmer, Owen and Fir. I am torn as to whether it is safer to be in the rec site or somewhere hidden in the bush where there is definitely no one there to watch your camp.

As far as moose, I haven't seen one out that way in years, been hit pretty hard by all predators.

XPEIER