PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Garmin® eTrex® 20x Handheld GPS?

ajr5406
07-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Looking at getting one, so after some feedback from guys using them?

What do you like/dislike, and would you recommend it?

Thanks

silveragent
07-29-2016, 01:49 PM
I got one. It does the job. You would want newer, more expensive models because it has a tiny display. If you just need to mark, set waypoints and have it point you in the right direction, no complaints.

kilometers
07-29-2016, 08:41 PM
I have one also I bought it because it had the best battery life of all the models I was looking at.
I also got the bc back road map book with it
it does everything I wanted it to I use it for hunting and fishing. But just as a back up for hiking out in the dark or when you get turned around in the thick stuff. Works great for marking fishing spots or routes to use if the fog rolls in.
I didn't want the fancy battery killer models although they had some cool features.
I bought my brother an etrex 20 for Christmas after using mine for a year.

jimi g
09-06-2016, 06:24 PM
I guess I'll be the odd opinion out. I had one and ended up returning it within 30 days. I found the entire thing thoroughly annoying. It was slow (to my tastes), did not provide enough information for what I wanted and I decided after using the joy stick thingy that I preferred buttons.

In speaking to someone else they recommended the Garmin GPS MAP 64s. I haven't tried that one myself but was researching it. For me, I think it would be alot better. Having said that- Cabelas sale on that one is over and it is pretty pricey.

I'm sure the etrex20 will work as long as your expectations are kept in check as the above posters seem to indicate so take my opinion for what it is- just an opinion.

Good luck!

adriaticum
09-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Depends what you are looking for from a GPS.
I have an Etrex 20 and it works great. It helps me stay out of trouble.
I bought also the bc backroads maps card.
It's a good GPS and nothing more.
If you want a fancy one that will take selfies and provide sexual stimulation on those cold fall days while sitting in the blind, well maybe you want something you can touch. lol

If money is not an object, Delorme InReach will stimulate you in many ways :mrgreen:

mike31154
09-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Not familiar with the etrex, but I've had an Oregon 200 for years now. Can't get them new any longer, they were the bottom of the line Oregon model but it provides all the basics along with an abundance of options I don't often use. It's a touch screen unit with only one button on the side. Rugged & dependable with a reasonably sized screen. Nowadays my old eyes need reading glasses when viewing certain info, but I doubt there's anything reasonably portable out there I could use without glasses to read the text. For simply following a track I can do without the glasses. I've used it in my car, on the motorbike, canoeing, backcountry ski touring & hunting.

https://tsmplw.bl3301.livefilestore.com/y3p47Eq2xaXWJeFDLKAbo70w7k-XwY_vqPuQtRDkWqWHczOIwD8GRk3Oao__NR0GA94FFmGSgByuw kbDHRi6iXpc0GeYgVR3t4akaEm3ZmmIO4e9Bp_rpFGNsuWzZxQ KGGCq4FbQhhbsjcxIXir7CnJTfVPWjh3RMU6jlqxn-IoYQU/P1030423.JPG?psid=1

https://hljr9g.bl3302.livefilestore.com/y3pruK5VV337YUKJA0lgBqEn_cPLCrE1g8XTbV-YcUTAHJ_dfjTueW46hxW-E-Au-xyHqika1p9ucfuLP0CtiurB2CQ8ldsEGzmAIxztoPt6HnYKba3 V7w_oZOWWovNFTBImLf9sx_N7y9o3ULG7TZu5l9E6r8sFpGc8e 58Iv_BH_c/P1030410.JPG?psid=1

RackStar
09-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Love it. Simple. Long battery life. Does the trick