PDA

View Full Version : Boot Re-Sole southern Vancouver Island

Ron.C
07-29-2016, 07:42 AM
Morning all,

My Hanwag Alaskans are due for new soles. I live in Duncan and there is a local cobbler. But curious if anyone has a recommendation on other mid- lower Island cobblers that they have used?

Boner
07-29-2016, 10:38 AM
I had a set of scarpa inverno hard shells that a guy in Courtenay resoled. His name was Griff. He did a good job and was recommended to me by my coworkers. I can't recall if he was still there last time I went thru.

Sharpish
07-29-2016, 12:41 PM
viberg in victoria

Hammerhead
07-29-2016, 02:31 PM
For what it's worth if you make it to the lml Gold Star boot rebuilders on Dunbar and 17th? in Van did a good job on a pair of Meindles for me after a porcupine ate his last leather supper a couple years ago lol.
HH

Ron.C
07-29-2016, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=Sharpish;1802959]viberg in victoria[/QUOTE I just called Viberg. Rep told me they will only work on products they sell. So no to Hanwags. And my local cobbler had a look and told me boots with soles like this cannot be re soled?

Boner
07-29-2016, 03:34 PM
That's very possible. I think they grind down the old sole to nail and glue a new one on. Has to be strong enough bottom to hold nails. At least that's as far as I understand. A hard vibram sole for example would be able to get resoled.

Keta1969
07-29-2016, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Sharpish;1802959]viberg in victoria[/QUOTE I just called Viberg. Rep told me they will only work on products they sell. So no to Hanwags. And my local cobbler had a look and told me boots with soles like this cannot be re soled?

That's what the guy in Courtenay told me with my Meindls, said it was because of the midsole design. I asked around and got the same info however about 6 months after throwing out the boots I was told they could be repaired if shipped to Vancouver I think to a place that did the work for Meindl. I would ask where you bought them and see if they could ask Hanwag. Wouldn't expect it to be on the lower Island though.

BgBlkDg
07-29-2016, 04:30 PM
I have posted extensively on bush and mountain boots here and I must have all of my footwear customized with a 1.25" orthopaedic lift on my right one. I have had this done by a number of people since 1969 and have worn dozens of highend mountain boots since my first Pierre Paris boots in 1961.

My choice of boot repair folks is Robert Sarkasian, of "Royal Shoe Renew" in the "City Square Mall" in Vancouver, google his number. He has built up several pairs of Scarpa, Galibier, Raichle, La Sportive and just did my new Hanwag Yukons, last month, with excellent results.

He CAN replace the soles on your Hanwags, with good Italian Vibram soles and his work is outstanding.

B.C.Boy(100%)
07-29-2016, 06:49 PM
Try Olde Town Shoe Repair on Johnson St

Frosty
07-29-2016, 10:18 PM
I bought a pair of Hanwags from Viberg in Victoria a few years ago, maybe they don't sell them anymore.

B.C.Boy(100%)
07-30-2016, 06:19 AM
Even if you bought them from Viberg they are so back logged with work currently that it could take 6-8 weeks for a resole job to get done, and for a custom set of caulk boots as I was inquiring, they might get them done by Christmas the lady told me.

B.C.Boy(100%)
07-30-2016, 06:21 AM
If you were in Mission, there is Good Ol Arnold's shoe repair, best place I've ever had repairs or resoles done.

Ron.C
07-30-2016, 06:32 AM
thanks for all the responses guys.

I dropped an email to Hanwag Canada to see what they recommend. Pending the outcome of that, I am going to contact a couple of the lower mainland companies you've recommended.

BgBlkDg
07-30-2016, 07:00 AM
I have used a LOT of different shoe guys and Royal and Gold Star, in Vancouver, are the best---NOT "the cheapest", but, good boots in good repair are absolutely excellent. They would grind off your old sole and install an ITALIAN Vibram replacement for far less than a new pair of boots.

I would expect about a two week turn-around and would bring them in person, if possible. Then, wash your boots frequently, with warm tap water, an old towel, SOFT brush and allow to dry in a warm place. Buy Obenuaf's LP boot wax and use it regularly and your boots will last longer and your feets will thank you! :)

MB_Boy
07-30-2016, 08:17 AM
For what it's worth if you make it to the lml Gold Star boot rebuilders on Dunbar and 17th? in Van did a good job on a pair of Meindles for me after a porcupine ate his last leather supper a couple years ago lol.
HH

Agree....and they have been mentioned a few times in threads on this topic over the years.

Ron.C
08-03-2016, 10:39 AM
So,

My local cobbler in Duncan said these boots can't be re-soled. I called Hanwag Canada and all they would recommend is getting a recommendation from one of their distributors on a local cobbler. I called the Victoria retailer where I purchased the boots and was told I'd be better off buying a new pair of boots?? But this is also the same retailer that recommended that I just to wear two pairs of socks instead of ordering a size of boot that fits properly. Not going to say the name of that retailer but it's pretty easy to find out who sells Hanwag boots in Victoria.

So, long story short. Stevenson boot repair in Victoria looked at them and said no problem. Do boots like this with this construction all the time. Cost is $80 and that includes a minor mid sole repair just below the Rand on the heel of one boot.
Boots will be ready mid next week.
Will give an update on the repair when I get them back .

Oh ya, want to give a public shout out to Hammerhead. He PM'd me and offered to get them repaired in Vancouver for me if I couldn't find a local cobbler that would. Awesome folks on this site!!!!!!

Ron.C
08-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Picked my boots up today.

Very happy with the work that Stevenson's did. And just under a week turnaround time.