PDA

View Full Version : Out with the new, in with the old!

noth615
07-27-2016, 10:56 PM
Ended up having problems with a few scopes over the last few weeks and ultimately just have not been happy with my rifle setup. Long story short, I wound up borrowing my dad's old 7mm,Tikka, circa 1988. It's a beautiful rifle, honestly feels more like a Sako than a Tikka.

With not enough time to get my rifle setup back online, kinda dreading adjusting weight from my synthetic 6.5 lbs rifle to the old hot rod at 8.5 pounds in the pack.

Interested in hearing some of the other mountain hunters rifle setups that are on the heaver side of the scale and why?

Bear Chaser
07-27-2016, 11:19 PM
I have packed my 35 Whelen up a few mountains while elk hunting. I'm sure if my legs weren't burning I would have noticed the 9.5 weight.
Leaving for sheep tomorrow but I'll have my Weatherby Ultralight 30.06 along.

Fred1
07-28-2016, 07:41 AM
I used to pack a 338 Ruger all over the place - not sure what it weighs, but it sure got heavy. I have a tikka now - Only take the Ruger occasionally on day trips cause I love the feel of the gun and its got dozens of bullets into all kinds of critters- its lucky! ;)

Weatherby Fan
07-28-2016, 08:05 AM
My older brother and I have hunted with the same guns for years, Mark V Stainless 300 Wby Mag, 9lb5oz, backpacked all over with them.....just the last Cpl of years I bought an Mark V Ultra Lightweight which isn't that light.....still just under 8lbs scoped.
Were planning a Flyin sheep hunt for this next year and I was trying to get him into a lighter rifle........nope not a chance, he loves old faithful, I've been scheming and skimping trying to figure out what I want to pack along that's lighter.......!